Diet soda?

Options
How badly does diet soda's affect ones weight while dieting? I usually drink sprite zero or cherry coke zero.

Regular soda doesn't even taste right any more. Should i quit drinking diet soda's all together? What have you done?

Replies

• jlaw_1992
    jlaw_1992 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    How badly does diet soda's affect ones weight while dieting? I usually drink sprite zero or cherry coke zero.

Regular soda doesn't even taste right any more. Should i quit drinking diet soda's all together? What have you done?

I notice that it makes me hungrier. If you avoid this side effect and don't find that diet soda makes you hungrier, then it shouldn't have any impact on your weight.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Love me some diet coke!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Diet coke is zero calories so you can still drink it if you want it. I still drink soda on occasion if I want one and it hasn't hindered my weight loss.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    it doesn't affect your weight it's 0 calories....I drink at least one diet coke everyday...but I make sure I have drank enough water first....
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Personally I consider zero calorie drinks a waste. I would rather have a good 240 cal soda now and then than fill up on something that seems to have no value what so ever. Just an opinion though.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    0 calories in diet soda, so no effect on weight.
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    Personally I consider zero calorie drinks a waste. I would rather have a good 240 cal soda now and then than fill up on something that seems to have no value what so ever. Just an opinion though.

Water is zero calories...
  • Troy13691
    Troy13691 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    jarnold390 wrote: »

I notice that it makes me hungrier. If you avoid this side effect and don't find that diet soda makes you hungrier, then it shouldn't have any impact on your weight.

I found the same thing especially if i haven't drank enough water. I end up lethargic and hungry. Probably is a mind set thing for me ( old habits being relived) but i drink a bit of diet drinks as its a nice taste with out the disguting sugar feel and im not wasting and of my food calories. Just make sure you drink enough water through out the day first :)
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I just gave it up a month ago. Too much of a chemical *kitten* storm.
  • cdcruizer05
    cdcruizer05 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Ah i see, well i tend to drink alot of Sprite Zero, it's my fave. I haven't noticed any adverse effects on me, i do get a good mix of water in there as well. I just wondered because its been said before they are not good for you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Soda is hydration. Sugar is much worse for me than aspartame so I prefer diet Pepsi.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It really isn't zero calories, but it's so few that it won't have an effect. I drink a can with dinner every night and a 24-ounce bottle on Sunday mornings. You'll have the people coming in here saying "artificial sweeteners are the devil and kill!", but unless you have a health reaction to them, you can consume it, as everything else, in moderation.
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I am able to breathe easier if I haven't drank soda recently, and it seems to make me more prone to sinus infections (if I haven't drank it, then do I'll wind up with sinus issues). Both of these affect the ability to exercise, and lose weight; these may be psychological/placebo effect, but I don't think so.

I second that I've been hungrier when drinking soda as well, likely because it tastes sweet and makes me want more sweetness.

I love the taste of soda, and the fizz when it hits my mouth; but have decided it's not worth the side effects and have it very infrequently.
  • getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    although calorie wise it is 0, i personally don't like all the artificial stuff.. i almost exclusively drink water, black coffee and unsweetened tea (hot and cold).. i was never a soda drinker because i was never allowed too drink it, but i did drink alot of juice.. so on occasion ill have me a glass of whatever juice im drinking... oh and on occasion ill have me a glass of alcohol (be it wine, beer or hards!) but yeah, to each their own! you do what you want to do!
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options

wut?

So diet soda is a waste but regular 240 calorie soda isn't? #confused

I prefer drinking diet/no calorie soda to regular anyway. Besides missing the calories, I enjoy the taste of zero-calorie sodas more than regular sodas anyway. Coke Zero is my jam.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10004187/diet-soda/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1301195/diet-soda

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1224943/diet-soda

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10062404/giving-up-diet-soda-so-hard/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012411/4-liters-of-diet-soda-per-day-to-1-2-liter-per-day

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10030581/diet-soda-pop-hindered-weight-loss/p1

those should get you started, but heres a link to the other 100 PAGES of results based on a search of "diet soda":

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?adv=&search=diet+soda&title=&author=&cat=all&tags=&discussion_d=1&comment_c=1&group_group=1&within=1+day&date=

edited to add: the bottom line is, dont worry about diet soda. youll get people that come in here and tell you about chemicals, and cleaning engines with diet coke, and it causing cravings and addictions and weight gain, and fooling your mind into some other magical garbage...its hard to follow the lunacy.
    also, here's a great tip...mixing cherry coke zero and vanilla coke zero is really friggin' delicious.
  • lastusernameever
    lastusernameever Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I drink Coke Zero or Diet Coke every couple of days and find it so helpful if I am feeling like something sweet. I have lost 8kg in six and a half weeks so don't find its effecting weight loss. Its helped me combat my cravings for chocolate!!!
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Grew up drinking diet coke, my mom even drank it while she was pregnant with me and apparently started letting me sip it as a toddler. Thanks mom. I still love the stuff, out of habit/familiarity I guess, and still drink it fairly often. Has never effected my weight loss or made me gain from what I can tell, I drink it in the afternoon sometimes before eating and it doesn't seem to make me hungrier. I drink water too, coffee, juice. All in moderation. It's just another drink.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Probably worth checking out authority nutrition's website - they have a ton of articles with cited studies for sourcing:

http://authoritynutrition.com/artificial-sweeteners-and-weight-gain/
  • beets4us
    beets4us Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with the calories or the "chemicals". My problem is that the sweetener primes me to crave sweet things.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

I'm the opposite. I would rather eat my calories than drink them. Most 0 calorie diet options taste the same to me and save me calories to use on something else.