Diet soda?

Options

Replies

• jmichaelminton
    jmichaelminton Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I stay away from soda period... There's a ton of sodium in diet soda.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I think I have a 12 pack of diet coke in my basement I bought 6 months ago. If i go out to eat I will get a real fountain coke but the great majority of the time I drink unsweetened tea, black coffee or water.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Yeah, not really. The 20 oz of Diet Dr. Pepper I just drank only has 4% of the recommended max sodium. And no reason to be worried about sodium unless you have a medical reason to avoid it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

55mg...less than 3% of the allowance MFP gives
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

I will never ever understand how this myth continues to be perpetuated. There's not a ton of sodium in diet soda. There's not even a lot. There are 60 mg in a 16.9 oz bottle of Coke Zero, hardly a "ton."
  • JasonH_DFW
    JasonH_DFW Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    While i love diet soda (diet dr pepper and diet big red ftw) but even if these dont spike insulin, have calories, or any of the other debating points on the subject the fact is most anything besides water, particularly artifical put strain on your liver as it filters everything. And liver function (or down function from abuse) has a huge impact on weight loss. Same can be said for caffine and adrenal fatigue. Will if hurt to use it? Probably not. Will it help to drop it? Maybe, worth seeing if it helps you.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

Many seltzer waters have a higher sodium content. What's your definition of "tons"?
  • cfischer81
    cfischer81 Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I don't understand why people claim this? If there is too much sodium in diet soda, then pretty much every sauce, meat, or non vegetable or fruit food is out as well! Of course, even the carrots I had today had more sodium than one diet coke so that might be out too. One can of diet coke has only 50mg of sodium. 50 PEOPLE, not 500!! Considering most spaghetti sauces has 5+ times that for a 1/2 a cup serving, I think it's actually really low in sodium!
    I'm not advocating drinking 10 cans a day but I think 1 or 2 is probably fine for most. Plus, it should almost NO bearing on your overall sodium for the day! I guess unless you are on an extremely low sodium diet. I try to stay until 1500mg, myself.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    If you're counting calories it does not make a difference. For me it helped because it cured my sweet tooth.

I'm currently not drinking any diet soda because I want to see if it makes a difference in my body (I use to drink a coke zero a day)... So far it really hasn't.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    cfischer81 wrote: »

I don't understand why people claim this? If there is too much sodium in diet soda, then pretty much every sauce, meat, or non vegetable or fruit food is out as well! Of course, even the carrots I had today had more sodium than one diet coke so that might be out too. One can of diet coke has only 50mg of sodium. 50 PEOPLE, not 500!! Considering most spaghetti sauces has 5+ times that for a 1/2 a cup serving, I think it's actually really low in sodium!
    I'm not advocating drinking 10 cans a day but I think 1 or 2 is probably fine for most. Plus, it should almost NO bearing on your overall sodium for the day! I guess unless you are on an extremely low sodium diet. I try to stay until 1500mg, myself.

RIght? All of the veggies and fruit I eat everyday (which is 4-8 servings) have way more sodium (naturally occurring, not added) than the 1-2 cans/bottle of diet sodas I consume daily. Nobody (including my cardiologist and GP) is telling me to quit the veggie habit, lol. Nor the diet sodas--he says they're fine.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    To be clear, the only thing that is actually 0 calories is water. Diet soda does contain calories, although negligible.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

o-rly-baby.gif

• karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I find they make me thirsty. Not because of the "tons" of sodium (snigger)
    If you have no adverse effects and you like them, then I don't see a problem with it.
    Go forth and drink, my friend :smiley:
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the stuff is not good for your body, but it keeps me sane. I drink coffee in the morning, plain water all day, and allow myself one diet soda per day. I've lost 17 lbs in 7 weeks, so it hasn't negatively impacted my losing weight.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I drink Coke Zero almost exclusively and it hasn't hindered my weight loss, nor affected me in any noticeable way.
  • Arsenal1919
    Arsenal1919 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    The stats are not vastly different.
    With regular sodas (fizzy flavoured soft drinks), one cops a massive sugar hit and abundant calories.
    With diet versions of very similar flavoured products, aspartame, saccharine or stevia might get the calorie count down (maybe zero to 35 calories per glass) but the chemical load is poor.
    Both styles of drink are not that good for you.

Try water.
    Try water with a slice of lemon and maybe some ice cubes.
    Try tap water or filtered water with slivers (very thin slivers) of fruit.
    Try soda water.
    Try soda water with slivers (very thin slivers) of fruit.

I was reading in Men's Health in 2011 that post exercise, great recovery is achieved with 500 millilitres to a litre of skim milk. (Works for me!)

I haven't been as comfortable as since I gave up all but one or two soft drinks per week. (Have diet ginger beer with an elderly relative while he drinks stout beer most Tuesday nights.)

The best thing about the water over soft drinks is the massive saving to the wallet.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It has no effect on weight loss. I have friends who have them daily and have lost in the hundreds of pound. Personally, I drink a seltzer water, due to the fact that I don't like the aftertaste of anything diet.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This little snippet is in today's paper. I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing, as I don't drink it.

dk6xjojg20yx.jpg
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the side ways pic!!
  • imajorchubby
    imajorchubby Posts: 8
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have to agree with the money angle, I have saved a ton of money not drinking soda or diet. Especially at work at the vending machines. Its great not looking at my credit statement and not seeing 15 entries in a row from the vending machine :)