Replies

• honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    ??? ???? ??? why
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking of trying to talk my wife into getting rid of the microwave. The foods we eat now we really don't need the thing anymore. Has anyone else done this??

Got rid of it years ago.

There's no point to it.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would want to live without a microwave. I use it at work to warm up my 'leftovers' I brought from home. I use it to thaw my bread (that I have in the freezer) so I can make grilled cheese. I use it when cooking to melt butter. I use it for popcorn. I use it to thaw frozen meat quickly. I use it to boil water for jello or my peanut sauce.
    Some things I don't use it for such as heating up pizza (I either eat cold or warm in oven), or chinese food (I usually eat leftovers cold).
    But it has a whole lot of uses I wouldn't want to lose. Plus it's not at all in my way, and is the fan for my oven so...
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Our microwave, which was older than myself, just broke this past month. After 22 years it finally stopped heating. I like the microwave for convenience. If you don't need it as much, just store it some place.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would want to live without a microwave. I use it at work to warm up my 'leftovers' I brought from home. I use it to thaw my bread (that I have in the freezer) so I can make grilled cheese.

I use my immersion circulator for that.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Defrosting meat and fish to cook it
    Scrambling eggs with mushrooms and cheese
    Starting off a jacket potato so it only takes 20-30 mins to crisp up in the oven
    Re-heating batch cooked stews or the occasional ready meal

Nope - couldn't do it

Well I could but I like living in this century
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    No because my microwave has a defrost function and I am never organised enough to get my frozen meat/fish/whatever out of the freezer more than 30 minutes before I decide I want to eat it. Hurrah for defrost in 5 minutes.
  • lieajane
    lieajane Posts: 78 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Oh my gods ! No way!
    I use mine for steaming my veg - just chuck them in a bowl with a tbsp of water, cover with cling film and microwave for about a minute (depending on what veg you have) Too easy!!

Going to try using it for sweet potato with cinnamon for my post workout feed later too. Can't wait!
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    mulecanter wrote: »
    No. This is crazy talk.

This!
    Double this.

• kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Nope, I love my microwave. I cook chicken, pasta, vegetables, omelettes, desserts, as well as all manner of other things in there. It's quick, and when done right, tastes just as good as using the oven or stove.

same here. I had to go without an oven/stove for approx 5 months (couldn't afford one) and learned how to perfect my microwaving skills. Foods turn out great, taste good, not dried out etc. It is now my go to over the regular stove (yes I did get a oven/stove) but hardly use it now.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    kayeiam wrote: »
    Nope, I love my microwave. I cook chicken, pasta, vegetables, omelettes, desserts, as well as all manner of other things in there. It's quick, and when done right, tastes just as good as using the oven or stove.

same here. I had to go without an oven/stove for approx 5 months (couldn't afford one) and learned how to perfect my microwaving skills. Foods turn out great, taste good, not dried out etc. It is now my go to over the regular stove (yes I did get a oven/stove) but hardly use it now.

And it saves on the energy bill too :smiley:
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    No. I'm constantly forgetting about my coffee and tea. Plus, some leftovers don't re-heat the same in a pan or the oven. I usually have leftovers for lunch. And my heat pad..cant heat that in the oven.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I havn't used a microwave in about 15 years... I wouldn't even know what to do with one. There was one in the last apartment that I lived it, left behind by the previous tenant, so I gave it away to my ex-bf when his broke. Was dating a guy last year who asked me to heat something up in his microwave while he went to grab his laundry..came back to see me staring at the thing wondering what button to push. I was so embarrassed LOL but whatever.

Just never got into it...reheating foods on the stove or the oven tastes *way* better..I hate how parts of my food would be scalding hot, other parts cold, and even if the temperature came out right, within minutes, it would all be cold and hard to boot so if I cant sit down and eat within a span of 1 second and 2 minutes, the whole meal is ruined. I can also tell immediately if a restaurant used Chef "Mike" to heat up my meal...it just tastes all kinds of wrong. Blah!!!
  • maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    what about heating up tea?? or reheating tasty leftovers?? or popcorns for movies?? nooooooo way jose. I am keepin my microwave!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I gave mine to my son when he moved out! I don't miss it one bit :smiley:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have been thinking of trying to talk my wife into getting rid of the microwave. The foods we eat now we really don't need the thing anymore. Has anyone else done this??

What you could do is pack up the microwave for a trial period of a month or so and just see if you miss it enough to put it back. If neither of you miss it then get rid of it. If either of you find it difficult to get along without it then put it back.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    maddyk91 wrote: »
    what about heating up tea?? or reheating tasty leftovers?? or popcorns for movies?? nooooooo way jose. I am keepin my microwave!

I dont heat up tea, but I boil water for my tea and I have an electric kettle for that since kiddo and I drink so much tea. I reheat my leftovers on the stove..or in the oven. I used to have a toaster oven for that, but just dont have the space for it anymore...as soon as I do though, Ill get another toaster. I make my popcorn on the stove...I prefer fresh popped to the pre-bagged stuff 100%

For defrosting...when I go to cook dinner, I take the meat out of the freezer that I want to make for dinner the next night and put it in the fridge. If I forget, then we have frozen fish which takes all of 15minutes to defrost in water...or we go vegetarian.

I have a rice cooker with a steamer which I use for my vegetables, and of course my rice. I mean..in general though, I like preparing foods in ways that they stay hot and cook evenly.

I know Im weird about this though..its almost like, an important thing to bring up on a first date, just get my strangeness out of the way from the get go LOL

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    How would I heat up my Nutella??????

But I also use it for steaming my fresh veggies in a glass bowl!
    They come out perfect every time!

Also of course:
    Reheating stuff and defrosting my bagels!
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Never...How would I reheat my coffee??? :p

Anyway, I like my food to be HOT.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Nope.

Quick steamed veggies,
    Reheated soups / stews / curries
    Defrosting
    Hot milk for coffees / hot chocolate (although I now have a steamer)
    Softening butter for baking if I've forgotten to remove from fridge

As a one-person household it gets more use than my oven.