Lifting shoes?

Options
13»

Replies

• FullOnBurn
    FullOnBurn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents, I have Reebok Crossfit Oly's that I use most of the time for squats mostly for the rigid heel rather than the dorsiflexion beenefit. I usually change out of them for all other lifts to a pair of Under Armour running shoe with a minimalist sole, forget which model, or recently I have tried just socks or barefoot but my basement is kinda cold
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I heard that lifting in running shoes will wear them out faster too. Truth?
    true, their tastebuds just can't handle flavor of that magnitude.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    kishstl wrote: »
    ...(also if you add a fanny pack and some baggy's it's just like the 90's!!)
    I wish fanny packs were cool again. When I roadied they were so handy taking door and keeping the ink and hand stamper handy if I needed it.

I like them for carrying a pistol.

My fashion sense tells me not to wear a fanny pack though.
    But if you're carrying a pistol, why should fashion matter?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Yawnetu wrote: »
    Does it matter what kind of Chuck Taylors, or is one as good as another?
    Personal preference.
    I used high tops then switched to low tops only because my high tops had so many holes in them that on cold and/or rainy days, my feet got wet/cold walking into the gym.
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Is it acceptable to be at the gym with no shoes on???? Lol I have never seen anyone do that before.
    Wear socks and you'll be fine.
    I did it a gym I was visiting since I had no flat shoes with me. I just kicked my shoes off and lifted in my socks.
    I saw a guy at my old gym do it all of the time

• dbmata
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    kishstl wrote: »
    ...(also if you add a fanny pack and some baggy's it's just like the 90's!!)
    I wish fanny packs were cool again. When I roadied they were so handy taking door and keeping the ink and hand stamper handy if I needed it.

I like them for carrying a pistol.

My fashion sense tells me not to wear a fanny pack though.
    But if you're carrying a pistol, why should fashion matter?
    Pistol ensures I go home.
    Fashion ensures you want to go home with me.

heh.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I like Alan Thrall's explanation on shoes.
    http://youtu.be/0yde15WOVH0
  • cwilson72180
    cwilson72180 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think doing squats or lifting barefoot sounds good. Everyone has given such great advice here. I am totally new to this exercise and losing weight thing but I am willing to give some of these ideas a try. Especially the squatting and lifting barefoot idea.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I squat and deadlift in my socks.

LOL me too. I save my shoes for the cardio.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Chucks are a great lifting shoe.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I used to lift barefoot, but got relegated to lifting in a workshop so got some Chucks.

Recently invested in a pair of adipowers which I now use for everything apart from DL. I still use chucks for those...
  • cheflaurawalke
    cheflaurawalke Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If anyone is trying to treat themselves.... Rogue Fitness has amazing lifting shoes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I heard that lifting in running shoes will wear them out faster too. Truth?

Of course...not only are they getting additional use, they are getting used for something they aren't designed for. The compression from doing heavy squats in running shoes for example, will pretty much destroy them in short order.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I like Alan Thrall's explanation on shoes.
    http://youtu.be/0yde15WOVH0

Wow, great video Matt--thanks for posting. I've always squatted in flat shoes, but I have excellent ankle mobility, so I guess it works.
  • kingw363
    kingw363 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well I use flat shoes for lifting and running shoes if I'm going to do mostly cardio.
  • dbmata
    Options
    so I'm a week in to squatting with the nike romaleos.

Holy cow, it makes squatting really comfortable, even front squats. I haven't done a max attempt yet though.
  • bmanlatour
    bmanlatour Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Besides the oly, chucks, and socks suggestions, indoor soccer shoes like Adidas samba and similar have fairly low soles and very little cushioning and decent arch support. The reason I use indoor soccer shoes is because chucks are tough on my feet because of lack of arch support.