Does Coconut Oil really help with fat loss?

Options

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I cannot fathom fat in coffee ...

That's was my first thought but then I realized cream is mostly fat.

I tried coconut oil in coffee. It's surprisingly ok. I couldn't do the full "bulletproof coffee" thing and put butter in there, too, though. I can imagine that is probably a decent constipation cure, though.

I've been making popcorn in coconut oil. It's pretty good. They say that's what movie theaters uses.

Mainly I'm trying to get rid of my Costco vat of it that is expired. I used to use it in the shower but got tired of having to pour degreaser down the drain periodically. It was a nice moisturizer, though. I'll have to try it on hair. My ferret likes a dab to eat, too. :)

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    For anyone planning to try it in coffee, you really need to blend it. Use a cappuccino frother or a stick blender, otherwise you get an oil slick on top of the coffee. It's purely about satiety, not a magic unicorn fart that makes fat disappear.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil in cooking when applicable...but I truly find it hilarious that right now coconut oil is considered this magical food...just a couple decades ago, it was the devil...so much so that it was banned from being used to make popcorn at the movie theaters. It just cracks me up...

Yesterdays devil is today's angel...for now...until it's the devil again.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    well I can say I gained weight with it(before I started logging everything), it hasnt helped my cholesterol, my daughters acne got worse when using it on her face(suppose to clear up acne) and it gives me the runs now when I use it to even cook with(doesnt matter how its "processed" or what brand).It hasnt done anything for me that it promotes. Oh and it supposedly gives you energy-yeah didnt happen either.

For your daughter :smile:
    http://www.minimalistbeauty.com/oils-specifically-for-acne-prone-skin/
    thank you

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I cannot fathom fat in coffee ...

That's was my first thought but then I realized cream is mostly fat.

I tried coconut oil in coffee. It's surprisingly ok. I couldn't do the full "bulletproof coffee" thing and put butter in there, too, though. I can imagine that is probably a decent constipation cure, though.

I've been making popcorn in coconut oil. It's pretty good. They say that's what movie theaters uses.

Mainly I'm trying to get rid of my Costco vat of it that is expired. I used to use it in the shower but got tired of having to pour degreaser down the drain periodically. It was a nice moisturizer, though. I'll have to try it on hair. My ferret likes a dab to eat, too. :)
    its supposed to be good for animals it has helped my dogs skin and coat and used it on hot spots he had last summer and it cleared it up,also ingesting it didnt harm him.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Re cosmetic uses - no one should be putting coconut oil on the face, especially not with acne, bad info on that one and I'm sorry for anyone who's come across that. It is great for dry hair, and elbows/knees/rough hands general body use, though.
  • lyndsayfletch
    lyndsayfletch Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts so someone might have already said this....coconut is fine to use sparingly....it is higher than most other oils in saturated fat however it cooks to a higher temp without converting to trans-fats which are the real bad ones that cause heart disease etc...most other oils get to a certain temp then convert to the trans-fats....coconut oil can handle much higher temperatures before converting.....closely followed by olive oil. However due to the high saturated fat content should only be used very sparingly :-) hope this helps :-)
  • Danni_peck
    Options
    I mean maybe if you substitute it for vegetable oil, but I highly doubt it. It is good for the skin though.
  • alastria
    alastria Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's going to be a healthy fat, you'll want to make room for it. Make sure you have an overall deficit is all. Include it into your diet and don't think of it as "wasting 130" calories because any healthy oils (flax, coconut) is going to be healthy for you. Make room for it in your diet. Eating 130 calories worth of healthy oil in my opinion, is better than eating 130 calories of a large apple. =)
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    alastria wrote: »
    It's going to be a healthy fat, you'll want to make room for it. Make sure you have an overall deficit is all. Include it into your diet and don't think of it as "wasting 130" calories because any healthy oils (flax, coconut) is going to be healthy for you. Make room for it in your diet. Eating 130 calories worth of healthy oil in my opinion, is better than eating 130 calories of a large apple. =)

Quite curious what is your reasoning behind that logic ?
  • csylva
    csylva Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well, this is my opinion and I'm too lazy to provide links and back it up with facts or start any debates...coconut oil is a healthy fat and a great option when cooking/using/consuming fats, that said, so is avocados and avocado oil. You will not lose more fat using these healthy oils. Weight loss truly is calories in calories out and creating a deficit. However, eating healthy fats is in the same line of thinking as eating organic, non-GMO, non processed, clean food. This allows your body to perform at it's best...helping your liver and gut remove additional toxins (those free radicals and chemicals we over consume daily). It's up to you to form an opinion on what better/optimal body performance means. Education is key here, and it seems the more we find out what's really in our food here in America the scarier it becomes...so I would choose organic coconut oil over heavily processed vegetable oil (full of GMO's) in a heartbeat!! I wish you success, happiness, and a little luck on your weight loss/healthy journey please remember it's 99% hard work and commitment and only 1% magic xoxoxo
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    csylva wrote: »
    Well, this is my opinion and I'm too lazy to provide links and back it up with facts or start any debates...coconut oil is a healthy fat and a great option when cooking/using/consuming fats, that said, so is avocados and avocado oil. You will not lose more fat using these healthy oils. Weight loss truly is calories in calories out and creating a deficit. However, eating healthy fats is in the same line of thinking as eating organic, non-GMO, non processed, clean food. This allows your body to perform at it's best...helping your liver and gut remove additional toxins (those free radicals and chemicals we over consume daily). It's up to you to form an opinion on what better/optimal body performance means. Education is key here, and it seems the more we find out what's really in our food here in America the scarier it becomes...so I would choose organic coconut oil over heavily processed vegetable oil (full of GMO's) in a heartbeat!! I wish you success, happiness, and a little luck on your weight loss/healthy journey please remember it's 99% hard work and commitment and only 1% magic xoxoxo

Lol.
  • vbenoit81
    Options
    I wouldn't bother doing this. The only true fire ways to lose weight is eat right and exercise. Trying to cut corners thinking eating this one thing, taking this one supplement, and what not is never going to get you to where you want to be. Don't waste your money, calories, or daily fat.
  • amandastock
    amandastock Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    1cares wrote: »
    Thanks y'all! Someone on my facebook pointed it out, and takes a tablespoon daily. I know it is fat, but wasn't sure if it was a valuable tip so I googled it, and there was varying evidence supporting both sides. That's when I figured I would ask other health conscious individuals if they partake in the daily dose. I use coconut oil in all my cooking, but I doubt I'm even getting more than a teaspoon per day.

On another note...I've been using coconut oil to moisturize my legs because body lotion just isn't cutting it this winter. Does that oil get absorbed into my skin, and do those calories count?

Coconut oil makes a great shaving cream! Moisturizer and shaving in one.
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Dr Sam Shay told me that coconut oil (he recommended 1 tsp every hour) will keep blood sugar levels from spiking high which stops the so-called cravings and keeps our hunger at bay so we dont lose appetite control and overeat / gain weight. However, I didnt feel comfortable with putting all that fat (even tho a "healthy" oil) into my body but still use it for cooking, either coconut, pure virgin olive oil or butter. All the good fats.[/quote]

• nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    edited February 2015
    Options
    oops! the above plus burst exercise 3 x a week and eating right

• theutahdesertfox
    theutahdesertfox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is extremely good for your health. It has so many benefits and should be on your list of foods right next to eggs, butter, and avocados. Fat foods do not equal fat on the body!! Throw out the canola oil and replace it with coconut oil.

Again, it's not a cure. It's not a detox. It CAN stimulate the thyroid for those with hypothyroidism. Which means more energy, higher body temperature, etc. Also, healthy fats are great for the mood and for cholesterol.

So yes. Eat it. Put it on your skin. Use it to take off your makeup. But don't expect it, alone, to change your life.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Medium Chain Tryglycerides (MCTs) are burned quickly similar to carbs and are one of the few fats that can cross the blood brain barrier so they provide energy to the brain like glucose and ketones do, so they themselves don't usually hang around long enough to get stored as fat, but if you are consuming excess calories, regardless of the source of them, your body will still store the excess as fat, period.

Coconut oil is great stuff both in taste and nutritionally, but you still need to stay within your calorie limits. It isn't a silver bullet, fat burner, or the impossible negative calorie food.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Here's my take on coconut oil. It's got caprylic acid to kill candida, but you can get it in pure form so it's a waste of calories.

I've been using the jar I bought to cook with, it's amazing.