Replies

• myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Drop the coffee and switch to Dandelion Tea
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Keep the coffee, just wean yourself off the cream and sugar. I put in about half as much as I used to, and I don't even miss the old sugary stuff anymore :) My morning cup is around 55-60 cals, and it is 100% a requirement for daily life.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Get better coffee and drink it black. Personally, I started buying higher quality coffee and swapped cream for 1% and dropped the sugar. It was kind of awesome to actually taste the coffee.

I highly recommend this. I used to take coffee with milk, but started buying high-quality, fresh-roasted beans and grinding them myself (which takes like 30 extra seconds)-- and wow, the taste of the coffee without anything added is so rich and phenomenal that my need for milk in it disappeared. I also drink less coffee now, because 1-2 cups of great coffee keeps me more satisfied than like 5-6 cups of mediocre coffee.
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    In addition to getting a better coffee to drink it black like others have suggested, you may want to just look at getting a lighter roast.
    Lots of people say they prefer a dark roast, but its because they dilute it with milk/cream.
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    +1 for getting better coffee and drinking it black. Never understood why people drink coffee but don't like the taste of actual coffee (just the cream and sugar they add...)

Or as an alternative, drink tea. I had to give up most coffee for health reasons and became sort of a tea fanatic, lol. There are so many different flavors and varieties, especially if you invest in high quality loose leaf tea (none of the crap sold at the grocery store in paper baggies). I now much prefer drinking a cup of tea in the morning, unless I seriously need a caffeine fix.
  • got2bfitmom
    got2bfitmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend reminded me when he got home about the time I quit drinking coffee because I thought it was giving me headaches. I started drinking this tea he introduced me to called yerba mate and I loved it! I can't believe I forgot about it! I think it is because it is only sold at our local health food store or trader joes.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    If you can drink yerba mate I would not think that black coffee would be a problem. LOL. Mate is sooooooo bitter.
  • got2bfitmom
    got2bfitmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I add milk and a little sugar
  • nesian_twin
    Options
    As far as I am concerned, there is NO alternative for coffee lol unless you want to try decaf. However I have cut right down to only one big coffee a day, my morning cup of joy with milk and no sugar, yes no sugar, your taste buds can get used to anything in time but if you really cant stand the thought of no sugar, try dextrose or Stevia.
  • emmbru7
    Options
    Hazelnut fat free coffee mate 25 calories per table spoon if u put 2-3 it tastes like a regular hazelnut cream and sugar! Can add to coffees and iced coffees u buy from dunks etc! Give it a go
  • emmbru7
    Options
    Or slowly work ur way out of the cream and sugar. Ask them to put half the cream and sugar and evenetually get only milk then only skim and then nothing at all!
  • josing
    Options
    Coffee can cause kidney stones if you don't drink enough water. Tea is not so much a culprit, but if you truly want to be caffeine-free, Pero is a good substitute if you really want to stop because it's a toasted wheat product; however, die-hard coffee drinkers just can't go without their cuppa in the morning because it's a bowel stimulator and helps with regularity as well as a wake-me-up.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I use almond milk in my coffee now... also, I use blackstrap molasses instead of regular sugar, because its nutrient dense. I thought it would be nasty, but its not bad at all actually.

I use Pilon or Bustello coffee, and can drink that black no problem..even though generally, I hate my coffee black. Its got a great flavour to it though. I'm sure if I got a really good quality coffee it would be even better.

Oh, and I suppose you could put a couple drops of pure vanilla extract in there, instead of a flavoured coffee creamer. That would slay a lot of calories, but you'd get the full vanilla flavour. Hrmm..Im going to try this in the morning :smile:
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Literally, if you find the best alternative for your morning coffee, then I suggest you take milk. Milk contains protein which is helpful for your health. So just go and take a sip.....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I switched to black coffee. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, honestly.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've been using Silk almond milk creamer in my coffee.
  • brittfitness75
    brittfitness75 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I made the choice to eliminate coffee on New Year Day. Hard deal for me, I loved my fair trade coffee with some yummy creamer, but I too wanted a healthier alternative.

I now drink Matcha tea each morning. It's green tea but better. Lots of antioxidants and vitamin C. And I get a little caffeine boost, which is must have. Research it, buy it, love it!
  • awesomewastaken
    awesomewastaken Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Green tea.
  • aronao
    aronao Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I used to drink lots of soy milk, I now use my homemade almond milk instead - I even take it to work in a bottle and add it to the coffee I buy from a cafe. I've also switched to stevia instead of artificial sweetner. I think you can adjust your taste, but it does take time.

Maybe switch the sugar for a less processed sugar like rapadura or panela? Is lower-fat cream/milk an option?