Cutting sugar in diet

Options

Replies

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Flour turns into sugar in the body .. avoid flour- pasta, rice , bread . big no no .. Ketosis if you want your body to burn it's own fat! You need fat in your diet it staves off hunger and keeps you full.. add a tsp of butter or coconut oil to your coffee- watch those drinks no soda or juice.. I have lost 14 lbs already .. quit my Pepsi cold turkey .. no yogurt .. good luck!!!

Or you could just eat at a calorie deficit.

I believe simply eating in a calorie deficit works for weight loss but not for overall good health. Nutrition is so important to our health and should be of upmost importance in any weight loss regime.

Anyone, who cuts out Pepsi in their diets should be applauded because what they have done is cut out useless, harmful, empty calories from their diets which can only be a good thing. Who needs all that added sugar and rubbishy artificial "food" in their diets!

I say, "good for you Nicolettehart." :D
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    In my opinion and in the opinion of countless "experts" including Elle Penner who is the Registered Dietitian and Food & Nutrition Editor at MyFitnesssPal, added sugar does matter.

These recommendations were posted yesterday on MFP's Facebook page and are the recommendations from the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, which is a group of 14 nationally recognised experts in the fields of nutition, medicine and public health. Their report, designed to inform the federal government of current scientific evidence regarding diet, nutrition and health, will be considered as two federal government agencies develop the latest edition of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, to be released later this year. The committee also recommends easing up on aggressive sodium restrictions and, for the first time, quantifying limits on added sugars.

The full report can be found at http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/eggs-coffee-are-in-added-sugars-are-out/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=Facebook

Here is just a small portion of the report.

"Eggs & Coffee Are In, Added Sugars Are Out

1. Ease up on Added Sugars

Added sugars contribute little else but extra calories to our diets; this is why the committee now recommends Americans limit their intake to 10 percent of calories. For someone eating a 1,500-calorie diet, this comes out to about 38 grams of added sugar, or one 12-ounce cola per day. Unfortunately, added sugars have infiltrated our food supply and are now found in everything from packaged bread to salad dressing—so even if you generally avoid sweets and sodas, you’re likely consuming more added sugars than you think. This recommendation coincides with a larger effort to help consumers quantify added sugars in their diet, something that still proves impossible to do simply by looking at the Nutrition Facts label."

OP, your menu looks great. Two or three fruits a day is absolutely nothing to worry about. Eat and enjoy. The issue is "added sugar."

YEP. As always: are we talking about the number on the scale going down? Or overall health? Or both?
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/19/nutrition-panel-calls-for-less-sugar-and-eases-cholesterol-and-fat-restrictions/
    The panel singled out added sugars as one of its major concerns. Previous dietary guidelines have included warnings about eating too much added sugar, but for the first time the panel recommended that Americans limit it to no more than 10 percent of daily calories — roughly 12 teaspoons a day for many adults — because of its link to obesity and chronic disease.
    The newest dietary guidelines say to limit added sugars. The WHO says to limit added sugars. I'm gonna go with that. In fact, I already do.
    Do they always get it right? Nope. Should I listen to some shirtless lad on the internet instead? NOPE.
  • LittleNell107
    LittleNell107 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I think everyone should limit added sugars. Limiting is, after all, the very essence of moderation.

Not sure why people find that one tricky.

More common sense from herrspoons.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I think everyone should limit added sugars. Limiting is, after all, the very essence of moderation.

Yep. EVERYONE should limit added sugars.
  • LeenaGee
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yeah, we should all listen to committees of dieticians because they were spot on about low fat diets, five a day, and have really stopped an obesity epidemic.

Oh wait.

Just do what works for you. If you can lose weight whilst enjoying soda and cookies then carry on. If you can't then drop them, either wholly or partially.

You are wrong Herrspoons, it is not a committee of dieticians but of experienced, highly educated individuals whose credentials are outstanding in the field of medicine.

Chair: Barbara Millen, Dr.P.H., R.D.

Professor, Department of Family Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA (through 2009).

Dr. Millen is currently the Founder and President of Millennium Prevention, Inc., a U.S.-based start-up company with a public health mission, which develops web-based platforms and mobile applications to encourage healthy preventive lifestyle behaviors for clinical settings and corporate, academic, and community wellness initiatives. Dr. Millen is a nutrition epidemiologist whose academic research career focused on dietary patterns and lifestyle determinants of health and chronic disease risk as well as evidence-based clinical and public health strategies to promote optimal nutrition and well-being in younger and older adults as well as low-income and minority populations. During her 30-year tenure at Boston University, she was the Founding Chairman of the Graduate Programs in Medical Nutrition Sciences, the Associate Dean for Research and Faculty Development of the School of Public Health, the Chairman of the Faculty Council, and Director of Nutrition Research for the internationally-renown Framingham Heart Study. She has advised research groups nationally and globally, including the World Health Organization, and served from 2008 – 2013 on the expert panels for the American Heart Association (AHA)/American College of Cardiology (ACC)/The Obesity Society (TOS) Guideline for the Management of Overweight and Obesity in Adults and the AHA/ACC Guideline on Lifestyle Management to Reduce Cardiovascular Risk.

Vice Chair: Alice H. Lichtenstein, D.Sc.

Stanley N. Gershoff Professor of Nutrition Science and Policy, Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, Tufts University, Boston, MA.

Dr. Lichtenstein is also Director and Senior Scientist, Cardiovascular Nutrition Laboratory, Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging and Professor of Medicine at Tufts University School of Medicine. Dr. Lichtenstein has broad expertise in nutrition and cardiovascular disease risk reduction. She previously served as a member of the 2000 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee and as a member of the Institute of Medicine (IOM) Dietary Reference Intake Panel on Macronutrients. Dr. Lichtenstein recently served as the vice-chair of the IOM Committee on Examination of Front-of-Package Nutrient Rating System and Symbols, a member of the IOM Committee on the Consequences of Sodium Reduction in Populations, the vice-chair of the ACC/AHA Guideline on the Treatment of Blood Cholesterol to Reduce Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Risk in Adults expert panel, a member of the AHA/ACC Guideline on Lifestyle Management to Reduce Cardiovascular Risk expert work group, and is the lead author on the American Heart Association's current Diet and Lifestyle Recommendations.

Frank Hu, M.D., Ph.D., M.P.H.

Director, Harvard Transdisciplinary Research in Energetics and Cancer Center, Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA.

Dr. Hu also serves as Director, Boston Nutrition and Obesity Research Center Epidemiology and Genetics Core, a Professor of Nutrition and Epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health, and a Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and Channing Division of Network Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital. Dr. Hu is an epidemiologist and an expert in the areas of dietary and lifestyle determinants of obesity, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. He is the principal investigator for the diabetes component of the Nurses' Health Study. Dr. Hu has served as an academic leader in a variety of roles, including on the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Obesity Guidelines Expert Panel and the IOM Committee on Preventing the Global Epidemic of Cardiovascular Disease.

and the list goes on.
    http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/committee/#members

It would be inappropriate and foolish of me to dismiss these nationally recognised and respected people and to listen to the advise of some guy on the internet.
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I find simple works better for me. I am prediabetic and I dont eat sugar ie the white stuff. I will only eat sugar treats on four days a year and thats on my birthday, Valentines Day, Christmas Day, Easter (eggs). If I crave something sweet I will eat fruit. I dont worry about the sugar in fruit or vegetables such as kumara (sweet potato). I still eat carbs including whole grain bread that is <4gm/100gm sugar content but try to keep bread to a daily limit of 2 slices a day. The <4gm/100gm rule applies to everything I check on the labels at the supermarket before buying. If its over 4gm I dont buy it.

If I really must have a treat (and this doesnt happen often as I have "retrained" my taste buds) I might make a dessert with dextrose in the weekend (heaps o recipes in google), stick to my calorie limit then exercise more the next day. One morning coffee a day with no sugar is a good start for the day and I got used to the taste of coffee without sugar. At first it was yuck but now no problem. Before when I had my HUGE mug of morning coffee with 2-3 tsp of sugar, I would crave sweets and think about cakes all day! and that isn't mental craves only, I believe its also related to the feel good aspect of eating sugar, not just the turning on of the taste buds but releasing dopamine so I try to get my dopamine hit through exercise instead. Sugar will also mess up my appetite control (leptin) for the whole day.
    Here's the documentary that got me started :) Hope this helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEjUGNi-Mlg
  • LeenaGee
    Options

YEP. As always: are we talking about the number on the scale going down? Or overall health? Or both?
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/19/nutrition-panel-calls-for-less-sugar-and-eases-cholesterol-and-fat-restrictions/
    The panel singled out added sugars as one of its major concerns. Previous dietary guidelines have included warnings about eating too much added sugar, but for the first time the panel recommended that Americans limit it to no more than 10 percent of daily calories — roughly 12 teaspoons a day for many adults — because of its link to obesity and chronic disease.
    The newest dietary guidelines say to limit added sugars. The WHO says to limit added sugars. I'm gonna go with that. In fact, I already do.
    Do they always get it right? Nope. Should I listen to some shirtless lad on the internet instead? NOPE.

That is so funny. I posted without reading your post. We must have been on the same wavelink at the time as bits are so similar, especially the last line. lol

• lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm sure this has been said before, but sugar occurs naturally in food. Fruit has fructose, and yogurt is dairy so it has lactose. That's really not a problem. The problem is refined sugar, the added sugar. It's OK to have a little bit, but not too much. Processed foods like bread will have a little bit, but if you aren't drinking regular soda and eating a lot of candy or something like that, then I really wouldn't worry about it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »

That is so funny. I posted without reading your post. We must have been on the same wavelink at the time as bits are so similar, especially the last line. lol

Heh. We must be on the same wave length today.

And yet, day after day, folks tell posters sugar doesn't matter, and the source of sugar doesn't matter. It really does.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    I'm sure this has been said before, but sugar occurs naturally in food. Fruit has fructose, and yogurt is dairy so it has lactose. That's really not a problem. The problem is refined sugar, the added sugar. It's OK to have a little bit, but not too much. Processed foods like bread will have a little bit, but if you aren't drinking regular soda and eating a lot of candy or something like that, then I really wouldn't worry about it.

I agree, a little is not a problem.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    Too late Herrspoons, you edited it but I saw it.

"how's the diet going?" you asked. Tut tut
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    In for missing the forest for the trees
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Someone recently posted this big long list of things that are important and unimportant when it comes to weight loss. Number 1 on the unimportant list is "how you lose the weight." There was also something in there about how it doesn't matter if you cut something out, if it works for you do it. Funny how that's so unimportant, yet people constantly post to tell people they're "doing it wrong" if they're trying to do something even slightly different than they do themselves.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,464 Member
    Options
    Flour turns into sugar in the body .. avoid flour- pasta, rice , bread . big no no .. Ketosis if you want your body to burn it's own fat! You need fat in your diet it staves off hunger and keeps you full.. add a tsp of butter or coconut oil to your coffee- watch those drinks no soda or juice.. I have lost 14 lbs already .. quit my Pepsi cold turkey .. no yogurt .. good luck!!!

i have bad news for you. Your body will still convert tissue into glucose even in ketosis through gluconeogenesis.

So you might as well enjoy the pasta.

Wait what? LMAO

• Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,464 Member
    Options

Or you could just eat at a calorie deficit.

Or not.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    It doesn't say exclude meat though. It just says eat more plant, "less" red and processed meat.

I eat lots of plants. This has no impact on the meat or sugar I eat.
  • kiwiOT
    kiwiOT Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with the frustration you're having. I love fruit big time and fruit is good for you right? I was told that if I crave sugar to eat an orange which I do often, as my post work out natural sugar boost along with water but boy, if you add other fruit like grapes, pineapple, berries, apples, peaches, I always end up going over board. Im not going to beat myself up if my sugar count is over if I know the only "sugars" Ive eaten that day is fruit which also has a great fiber content in them as well the other goodies thats hidden in the skin and pulp. Considering I was used to eat a snickers bar as a snack I feel this is a good replacement.

One food that has lots of hidden sugar (besides junkfood of course) is salad dressings. Which is a shame because I love Kraft Poppyseed dressing and I think home made vinaigrette's are disgusting.. I still eat the poppyseed seed but now I actually measure how much I put in instead of just haphazardly pouring it over my salad.. Small steps in my opinion!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited March 2015
    Options

Of course if one eats many different heavily processed foods, it's adds up.
    If there's some added to your morning yogurt, and some added to your peanut butter snack, and some added to your sandwich bread for lunch, and some added your hamburger bun, and some added to your ketchup for dinner.... or some in your pizza crust, and some in the pizza sauce...or some in your hamburger helper, and then you also have a few cookies, or one of those 100 calorie packs of cookies or other Nabisco type sweet treat... it all adds up. I firmly believe that everyone needs to keep an eye on it, especially folks who make frequent use of heavily processed convenience foods.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

But if you already limit added sugars it's silly to make that the main definition as to whether you are healthy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

But if you already limit added sugars it's silly to make that the main definition as to whether you are healthy.

Sorry? I'm not making the connection. Can you say more?