Clean Eating Challenge- March

Options
I am SUPER excited for March to begin and to start putting all my prep and research into action! Some friends and I are going clean, we are gong to have a VERY strict month of March to get our bodies and minds ready for a new Clean Eating lifestyle that we hope to be able to maintain after March. I would LOVE to have company in this month for support, accountability, and shared knowledge.

I started a group called "March 2015 Clean Eating Challenge". Feel free to join if you are interested.

March 1-31st I plan to eat 100% clean. General summary is:
No processed foods
No refined sugars
Only whole grain
Only whole foods
5 meals a day rather then 3

Sooo pretty much:
Nothing with a label, listing ingredients
No alcohol
No white processed carbs
No unnatural sugar added

This will take a lot planning, discipline and willpower but is nice because you do not need to be hungry or neglect yourself, if you want something sweet, eat something sweet as long as it is clean. If anyone would like to join me the support and encouragement would be wonderful. We can share recipe ideas as well as how we are feeling.

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    In for <3
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,957 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Unfortunately I can't join, I like my wood oven whole grain bread too much and considering it's not actually all whole grain but processed I have to get to my goals another way. I also use canned San Marzano tomatoes and wouldn't give them up over the whole ones at the market that taste like cardboard......double trouble for me in your world.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I would but I'd probably burn down villages in fits of fiery rage from Talenti and cheez it deprivation.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I would but I'd probably burn down villages in fits of fiery rage from Talenti and cheez it deprivation.
    Don't forget the wine screams. :s
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I love beer, so I'm out :'(
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    what whole grains do you eat that aren't processed? Serious question.
  • beejelblor
    beejelblor Posts: 123 Member
    Options

The whole grain part is what I am researching now, still learning. I personally will probably stick to quinoa, oatmeal, sweet potato, and am looking into how "clean" brown and black rice are. I am seeing that buckwheat, barley, and wild rice are ok also but am not sure on any of these details yet.
  • beejelblor
    Options
    That answer is for carbs in general, not just grain.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,957 Member
    Options
    beejelblor wrote: »

The whole grain part is what I am researching now, still learning. I personally will probably stick to quinoa, oatmeal, sweet potato, and am looking into how "clean" brown and black rice are. I am seeing that buckwheat, barley, and wild rice are ok also but am not sure on any of these details yet.
    If you research properly you should find there are no bad foods, just opinions based on minimal information and mostly misinformation, just trying to give up a heads up so you don't crash and burn.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Post clean eating challenge with a bunch of arbitrary rules.

But still needs to research what clean eating really is

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4bLgf3WNWTcrIcI7xLhyINZjP__fSkom3w-Mv9JuqhWfFOoTx
  • beejelblor
    Options
    It is amazing that we are on a website designed to get healthy, and there are forums to help one another with this but all that the forum discussion ever seem to lead to are jabs at one another. Every person approaches their nutrition and fitness in their own way, simply move along if this is not the way for you rather then trying to discourage me or others. If anyone is actually interested feel free to join my group, I am not setting rules or pushing judgement on anyone.
  • Lifts4IceCream
    Lifts4IceCream Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sooo pretty much:
    I personally will probably stick to quinoa, oatmeal, sweet potato, and am looking into how "clean" brown and black rice are. I am seeing that buckwheat, barley, and wild rice are ok also but am not sure on any of these details yet.

So does that mean that you are only going to buy these grains from a "wholesale bin" so it doesn't come in a package with a label? Unless you grow your own grains, the stuff you buy at the store will have a label listing the ingredients, won't it?....
  • beejelblor
    Options
    Sooo pretty much:
    I personally will probably stick to quinoa, oatmeal, sweet potato, and am looking into how "clean" brown and black rice are. I am seeing that buckwheat, barley, and wild rice are ok also but am not sure on any of these details yet.

So does that mean that you are only going to buy these grains from a "wholesale bin" so it doesn't come in a package with a label? Unless you grow your own grains, the stuff you buy at the store will have a label listing the ingredients, won't it?....

That is the plan, I don't have a farm so I will do the best I can.
  • kgt6075
    kgt6075 Posts: 1
    Options
    I can't wait to do this challenge, I will definitely need some motivation and recipe ideas!

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    nuh uh
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Can I still partake in Full Tub Friday?

It's Ben & Jerry’s Utter Peanut Butter Clutter Cookie Core next Friday, I really don't want to miss that.
  • Anewabigail
    Anewabigail Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I definitely want to try! How can we keep each other accountable? Wish there was a link to a generalized outline to make it easier.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,465 Member
    Options
    5 meals a day? i eat one meal a day.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I would love to join, as I'd like to challenge myself to eat more local veggies and animal products, and this seems like a good way to stay motivated...however, I would be using a lot of soy sauce, vinegars and oils, dressings, and if I stick with homemade pastas and breads, then I'd still be using packaged flours. Also, I prefer almond milk to cow's and making it myself is waaaaay too much trouble considering how delicious and cheap Trader Joe's is. Also, I'll be including cheese. And yogurt.

But if you don't mind all those inclusions, I'm in.

ETA: I don't know how much difference it makes, but most of my packaged foods are organic and from places like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This was going to be my question. All grains are processed.

Also, sweet potatoes obviously are not grains, and if the point is supposed to be that they are unprocessed, how are potatoes any more processed than any other veggie?

Also, why is it better for me to give up canned tomatoes, non local veggies (in March!), smoked salmon, other non local fish, yogurt, etc.?