am I starving myself?

Options
I am 400 pounds. and so far in the last couple weeks I have lost a total of 8 pounds.
But I have also been working my butt off!
My doctor told me to eat 1800 calories a day if i can handle it.
and he gave me a diet pill as well. as well as having me see a dietitian.
MFP says I should eat 2170 calories per day.

my boyfriend says I'm starving myself for my size, is it true?

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Do you look like this?

minnesota_starvation_experiment.jpg

Then probably not.

No. Definitely not.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Eat 2170 and eat back at least half of your exercise calories if/when you exercise (meanign you'd eat more than 2170). If you don't lose at your expected rate, then lower or increase your goal by 100 calories (manually) every week until you start losing at your desired rate.

8lbs in a few weeks is not the norm throughout the bulk of weight loss. Your losses will stabilize soon enough and the losses will be more indicative of actual weight loss. If you fele hungry consistently throughout the day, then go with the MFP numbers.

Also lol @ diet pill. Your doctor is a quack.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not starving yourself. You may be able to eat more to lose though.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you eating a portion of your exercise calories back?
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Losing 8 lbs in a few weeks is great. Keep up the good work.
    Meet with the dietician. I see room for more veggies in your diet and perhaps swapping out some breaded and fried chicken for some roast chicken.
    The important thing is to keep at it. You are losing weight.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Definitely not starving yourself in reality, although with your body being used to a larger volume or calorie-dense type foods, it may feel like it sometimes. When I need to lose weight I drop my calorie intake by 25% and the first few weeks are a bit of an adjustment, then I not only get used to it but really get into a good groove with my cooking and food choices. The first 7-14 days will give me some rumbling in the tummy though, even though I KNOW I've eaten enough. I just don't give in to it too much and it always passes.

Based on your post, your doctor said 'if you can handle it', so he probably understands that it's a little bit lower than what might be 100% recommended, but he is probably hoping to make it a faster/smoother process for you in the long run. Just my two cents. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You're definitely not starving yourself. You may be able to eat more to lose though.

As long as she stays within a calorie deficit, this is true, especially given her weight.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No, you are not starving yourself by eating still more than the average healthy weight woman does.
  • orlandodenise
    orlandodenise Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    No you are not starving yourself and due to your start weight if you was - you would lose a lot more than 8 pounds over the start weeks. That weight loss is mainly water weight. Dont listen to what " friends" say - sometimes they have a vested interest for you failing ! Also if your brain is like my brain it looks for excuses ( or it did ) for eating more. Just stick religiously with the plan and weigh/ measure and record everything! Good luck :)
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Personally, I would focus on increasing your exercise. Leslie Sansone has some great walking videos that I would highly recommend because most require no equipment and have simple moves. (You may be able to check out these or other workout videos from your local library.)

To answer your question, the tough thing is that your body doesn't burn calories for holding fat, only for lean body mass, which is why your calorie estimate may seem low to your boyfriend. You'll get a great calorie burn during your workouts though because your body works harder to exercise with the extra mass though!

If you're looking for MFP friends, feel free to add me. I started at 282+ pounds and am down to 225 after nine months. I don't do anything special; just try to eat reasonably, exercise, and have patience with the process.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am 400 pounds. and so far in the last couple weeks I have lost a total of 8 pounds.

1800 cals isn't starving yourself.

Ps. Ditch the diet pill, it's not really doing much.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nope, you're not starving yourself at 1,800 calories a day. I used to eat at 2,000 calories a day (totally sedentary working in front of a computer 12 hours a day) and weighed almost 200 pounds. I'm now eating an average of 1400-1500, exercising at least 4X 30-40 minute sessions a week and closing in on my goal weight. Don't let anyone tell you you're starving yourself--that's just them feeling guilty that you're doing something and they're not. I'm not crazy about taking "diet pills" but that's your doctor's choice and your decision. Losing weight and keeping it off is a LIFEstyle change. You will never be the same if you are successful and neither will your life. Don't worry though, it's a good thing! Welcome to the new you.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Certainly not starving yourself but, you may be able to eat more and still be in a reasonable deficit because of your size, although this would need calculating.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're fine. Bigger deficits are totally ok when you have a lot to lose. The good thing is you could probably stick to 1800 until you're 200 pounds, so it should be easy to get used to.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    No, you are not starving yourself by eating still more than the average healthy weight woman does.

What? Many healthy weight women maintain above 1800 calories.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to giggle at the way the OP's name is cut off on the topics list.

Also ditch the diet pill and you can probably eat more and still lose.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

hehe
  • Marchmallow
    Marchmallow Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Definitely not starving yourself. Below 1200, maybe, but 1800 calories per day is more than enough for a healthy calorie deficit. As you lose weight and hit around 250lbs, you may need to decrease to keep losing fat, but at your size 1800 should work very well. Personally I'm losing about half to one pound per week on 1400 - 1500 per day, but I'm quite small. Good luck, and don't forget to exercise! :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Hahahahahaha!
  • theresaneal77
    theresaneal77 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Follow your doctor's plan, not the one you found on the Internet. As someone who is active, big and eats little, I will stress that it is important to eat healthy (or try to make healthier choices) and make sure that you eat if you feel hungry. If you experience headaches, stomachaches, nausea, ect. eat a light snack and talk to your doctor about it. You are also likely to lose more than 2 pounds a week your first few weeks (which will also be the hardest ones!).