am I starving myself?

Options

Replies

• mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I am 400 pounds. and so far in the last couple weeks I have lost a total of 8 pounds.
    But I have also been working my butt off!
    My doctor told me to eat 1800 calories a day if i can handle it.
    and he gave me a diet pill as well. as well as having me see a dietitian.
    MFP says I should eat 2170 calories per day.

my boyfriend says I'm starving myself for my size, is it true?

Follow your doctor's plan, not the one you found on the Internet. As someone who is active, big and eats little, I will stress that it is important to eat healthy (or try to make healthier choices) and make sure that you eat if you feel hungry. If you experience headaches, stomachaches, nausea, ect. eat a light snack and talk to your doctor about it. You are also likely to lose more than 2 pounds a week your first few weeks (which will also be the hardest ones!).

This^^

Your doc spend many years training to know what is best for people's health. Stick to the doctor's plan.

• Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I am 400 pounds. and so far in the last couple weeks I have lost a total of 8 pounds.

Ps. Ditch the diet pill, it's not really doing much.

Before following this advice, ask yourself who knows more about what medications you should take: your physician who you've probably known for years and knows you inside and out, or a random know-it-all on the internet?
  • BirdyWeirdy77
    BirdyWeirdy77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Just wanted to giggle at the way the OP's name is cut off on the topics list.

Also ditch the diet pill and you can probably eat more and still lose.

Probably not.. at least not with my experience
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »

Before following this advice, ask yourself who knows more about what medications you should take: your physician who you've probably known for years and knows you inside and out, or a random know-it-all on the internet?

So you actually think 'diet pills' work? :laugh:
  • evolution328
    evolution328 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I'm curious what diet pill your doctor put you on? And 1800 calories per day is not starving yourself by any means, stick to it and don't listen to anything negative anyone has to say.
  • BirdyWeirdy77
    Options
    Thanks ppl.. I see my diet person today. So I will follow my doctor and her as well.
  • BirdyWeirdy77
    Options

I'm curious what diet pill your doctor put you on? And 1800 calories per day is not starving yourself by any means, stick to it and don't listen to anything negative anyone has to say.

I asked for the cheapest one available because I have to pay out of pocket. .. it's called phamotadine or something like that.. don't think I spelled it right
  • Zedeff
    Options

So you actually think 'diet pills' work? :laugh:

Yes, there are many clinically proven diet pills. Just because the *kitten* sold at supplement stores and over the counter don't work doesn't mean that nothing works. But more importantly, the OP never told you what it was that was prescribed, and you still think that - in the absence of any information, any medical training, and any knowledge of the patient - you are in the right to tell her to discontinue prescribed medications.

Maybe the "diet pill" was a thyroid medication, which we know would work. Maybe the "diet pill" was lorcaserin, an FDA approved drug specifically for weight loss. Oh wait, we don't have to guess.
    I asked for the cheapest one available because I have to pay out of pocket. .. it's called phamotadine or something like that.. don't think I spelled it right

I think this is probably famotidine (they're homonyms after all), which is an antacid, NOT used for weight loss.

Your advice, if anyone were dumb enough to follow it, would result in the OP stopping a medication unnecessarily, since it's not even a weight loss medication and was probably prescribed by her physician for a related complaint brought up during the visit.

You can try to play doctor all you want, but you're still unqualified and that makes it dangerous.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If the doctor's prescription for an antacid was understood as "a diet pill", how much else could possibly have been misinterpreted?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

100% unnecessary, waste of your money.
  • ana3067
    Options

And what was your previous experience, just eating without having any idea of your intake? Taking a pill won't somehow make it so you can lose weight with the same eating habits that you tried before. The only reason the diet pill will work now is because you are eating fewer calories than your body needs to maintain its weight.

Ditch the pill, save your money, buy more food and other delightful things.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

No, it's not a waste of her money if she has GERD or something similar. Unless she has the name of the medication wrong. It's not a diet pill.

• Zedeff
    Options

You are unqualified to give this advice. MFP should delete posts giving untrained medical advice and ban repeat offenders. It's a dangerous practise that runs rampant here.
  • ana3067
    Options

You are unqualified to give this advice. MFP should delete posts giving untrained medical advice and ban repeat offenders. It's a dangerous practise that runs rampant here.

Pot calling the kettle black. Feel free to start using OP's diet pills for her since they are unnecessary.
  • ana3067
    Options

No, it's not a waste of her money if she has GERD or something similar. Unless she has the name of the medication wrong. It's not a diet pill.

And yet she called it a diet pill, so if she is not mistaken that it is simply a diet pill, it is 100% unnecessary. She also did not specify that the medication was for any type of medical purpose other than increased weight loss, and it seems that the medication is an elective.
  • ana3067
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

Pot calling the kettle black. Feel free to start using OP's diet pills for her since they are unnecessary.

The pill is for GERD.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famotidine

OP said it was a diet pill, hence diet pill = 100% unnecessary. If she is taking medication for an actual medical condition, then that is different.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

And yet she called it a diet pill, so if she is not mistaken that it is simply a diet pill, it is 100% unnecessary. She also did not specify that the medication was for any type of medical purpose other than increased weight loss, and it seems that the medication is an elective.

The OP is confused as to the purpose of the medication. Famotidine is Pepcid.

• SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP said it was a diet pill, hence diet pill = 100% unnecessary. If she is taking medication for an actual medical condition, then that is different.

It's very common for patients, in the rushed and sometimes 'information overload' nature of a consultation, to misunderstand what their medication is actually for.

Just another reason why it's dangerous to ever advise on it unless you are actually the persons doctor.
  • Zedeff
    Options

It's very common for patients, in the rushed and sometimes 'information overload' nature of a consultation, to misunderstand what their medication is actually for.

Just another reason why it's dangerous to ever advise on it unless you are actually the persons doctor.

Exactly.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It's not anyone's business to tell OP whether or not she should take any pills her doctor recommended. It has nothing to do with why she posted - she wanted your opinion on whether or not she was eating enough.

For some reason the anti-diet pill trolls come out in full swing when someone barely mentions diet pills - diet pills, so evil! So you think she's wasting her money, who cares?