Replies

• michbelle8
    michbelle8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am so in!!!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Wish there was a link to a generalized outline to make it easier.

That's sort of the essence of why this discussion arises every time clean eating/whole foods get mentioned - there is no generalized outline, just people's opinions about how and what to eat, because the whole idea is, well, BS. Food is food and more or less processed and nutritionally dense. Some people have to cut out certain foods because of medical issues. Not everybody likes or has access to the same foods. That's almost all there is to it.
  • guerrillatiger
    guerrillatiger Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the Whole30 challenge, I started on the 23rd Feb.

Happy to join you guys until the end.

If you are interested their guidelines are here:
    http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    how-about-no.gif
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I definitely want to try! How can we keep each other accountable? Wish there was a link to a generalized outline to make it easier.

Do you think that the arbitrary rules of this challenge would somehow be healthier than your own rules? Why?

I choose to include certain foods that seem to me to be "processed" in my diet (non local veggies, since it's almost March and I live in the northern midwest where I won't get many good local veggies until early summer, although I have a CSA that kicks in in spring, canned tomatoes (non-fresh "fresh" tomatoes have no taste), frozen fish, yogurt, smoked salmon, grains, dried beans, are all examples of these). I also like other foods that "clean" eating challenges are often against, although they seem to me unprocessed, like potatoes. I also like some dried herbs and spices. And I sometimes choose to eat protein powder, protein bars, and non local fruit. I actually think a lot more about the merits of these foods than others that don't get criticized in "clean" eating challenges, like meat (although I buy all my meat and eggs from local farms for ethical reasons, with the exception of some game meats that I get from a local meat market). I am genuinely curious about why I would supposedly be healthier adopting some rules that seem to me to be arbitrary.
  • lotekgirl
    lotekgirl Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think the issue with canned tomatoes is the fact that they are very acidic and cause the lining in the can to leach BPA into your tomatoes. Get them in a glass jar and check the ingrediant label as they often have added preservatives. I don't see a problem with non-fresh products if they consist of actual food and aren't tainted with chemicals.
  • lotekgirl
    lotekgirl Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I do agree that the concept of a "clean eating" challenge is pretty arbitrary and will have different rules depending on who is moderating the challenge. For anyone interested, I would suggest trying the Whole30 and then slowly reintroduce foods after the 30 days if you like to see if you have any type of reaction to a certain food. I had amazing results in January and just started another round today to get back on track after having a rough time last month. Here's the group for anyone who would like to commit to the 30 days and have some support:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/101329-whole-30-challenge-round-2-starting-february-2-2015
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Post clean eating challenge with a bunch of arbitrary rules.

But still needs to research what clean eating really is

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4bLgf3WNWTcrIcI7xLhyINZjP__fSkom3w-Mv9JuqhWfFOoTx

^This. This is so awesome and right.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Can I still partake in Full Tub Friday?

It's Ben & Jerry’s Utter Peanut Butter Clutter Cookie Core next Friday, I really don't want to miss that.

I only read threads like these for posts like that. I declare you the winner of everything.
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    beejelblor wrote: »
    It is amazing that we are on a website designed to get healthy, and there are forums to help one another with this but all that the forum discussion ever seem to lead to are jabs at one another. Every person approaches their nutrition and fitness in their own way, simply move along if this is not the way for you rather then trying to discourage me or others. If anyone is actually interested feel free to join my group, I am not setting rules or pushing judgement on anyone.

I totally agree with you BEEJELBLOR! If you aren't into clean eating don't knock the people who do and just move on.

Guerrillatiger- I've done Whole30 and it's pretty awesome! Once I was done with Whole30 I moved on to clean eating. I feel so much better doing clean eating and when I eat something that I "shouldn't" my body let's me know it. :)

SnuggleSmacks- Have you ever tried Coconut Aminos? Tastes like soy sauce but made from coconuts and it's less salty as well. :)

Anewabigail- Whole30 is a good place to start with the clean eating. That's how I started. It can be kinda rough the first few weeks but then it gets easier. They have a book coming out, in April I believe, that tells you exactly how to do Whole30.

I hope that we can all support each other through this journey!!!! :)
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It is amazing that we are on a website designed to get healthy, and there are forums to help one another with this but all that the forum discussion ever seem to lead to are jabs at one another. Every person approaches their nutrition and fitness in their own way, simply move along if this is not the way for you rather then trying to discourage me or others. If anyone is actually interested feel free to join my group, I am not setting rules or pushing judgement on anyone.

Yup, I've found that too. It seems like a lot of people on here think that they have the answer, and that their plan is somehow the best. A lot of it is based on their own personal results and it won't work for everyone. Clean eating to me is just eating foods that are minimally processed, so as close to the way they are found in nature as you can get. Other people may have other definitions, so be it, but the rude responses need to stop. @beejelblor‌ Thanks for this comment, I've been meaning to write something to this extent for a while.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Yup, I've found that too. It seems like a lot of people on here think that they have the answer, and that their plan is somehow the best. A lot of it is based on their own personal results and it won't work for everyone. Clean eating to me is just eating foods that are minimally processed, so as close to the way they are found in nature as you can get. Other people may have other definitions, so be it, but the rude responses need to stop. @beejelblor‌ Thanks for this comment, I've been meaning to write something to this extent for a while.

Really? I tend to see a lot of the "meanines" are the ones actually using statistical and scientific data, rather than just personal results.
  • StephannieL
    Options
    Galgenstrick- I totally agree. My understanding of clean eating is the same as yours. I try to stick closely to it the best I can but I'm only human and do slip from time to time. LOL
    I've only been at this for about a year and there is a learning curve.
    I did Whole30 this time last year and had success with that and then moved onto clean eating but figured that I could eat some sugar here and there and then it just spiraled out of control. So, I pulled up my big girl panties and got back into the swing of things with just clean eating. Although I did do a second round of Whole30 with a friend of mine in between because she really wanted to do it.

Thankfully I look at Whole30 as a cleanse and detox as it's so strict. I find clean eating a whole lot easier to do than even Paleo. But I still try to stay away from bread, pasta, dairy, sugar. That being said, I do have real maple syrup and organic half and half in my daily cup of coffee.
    Switching to all organic is quite painful on the checkbook but I find it so worth it!
  • StephannieL
    Options
    RGv2- That does tend to happen a lot too. LOL
    Science/statistics are great but we all know that not everyone will have the same results. Information is great as long as it's information for people to be able to use and not thought of as gospel truth. LOL
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Science/statistics are great but we all know that not everyone will have the same results. Information is great as long as it's information for people to be able to use and not thought of as gospel truth. LOL

If science and statistics can't be used as a reliable guide to what is truthful, what do you recommend using?
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Really? I tend to see a lot of the "meanines" are the ones actually using statistical and scientific data, rather than just personal results.

I see that too.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

And yet, here you are publishing your challenge and trying to create some sort of consensus of eating around your own dietary rules. You will never see me recommend a challenge about eating one way or another because really, I'm not setting up rules about the proper way to eat. Vegan, paleo, what not, there are people on my friend list that eat a variety of ways and I am not interested in having a group with rules about specific eating styles. However, when someone comes along and attempts to justify their method as the "healthiest" or "better" then, yes, it's an invitation to discuss the science behind nutrition. And I'm not seeing "rude responses" in this thread. But clearly the above post will get that ball rolling.

Eat what you like and how you like it, but there is no way I'm not eating cheese and ice cream in the next month. Cheers.
  • galgenstrick
    edited March 2015
    Options

And yet, here you are publishing your challenge and trying to create some sort of consensus of eating around your own dietary rules. You will never see me recommend a challenge about eating one way or another because really, I'm not setting up rules about the proper way to eat. Vegan, paleo, what not, there are people on my friend list that eat a variety of ways and I am not interested in having a group with rules about specific eating styles. However, when someone comes along and attempts to justify their method as the "healthiest" or "better" then, yes, it's an invitation to discuss the science behind nutrition. And I'm not seeing "rude responses" in this thread. But clearly the above post will get that ball rolling.

Eat what you like and how you like it, but there is no way I'm not eating cheese and ice cream in the next month. Cheers.

The point in my post was that people were taunting OP for posting the challenge rather than offering any helpful insight. I'm sure plenty of people have their own dietary rules for "clean eating" who would want to follow OPs challenge in their own way. I don't see any harm in it. If it gets people motivated to change their lifestyle that's not working for them, then that's great.
  • StephannieL
    Options

If science and statistics can't be used as a reliable guide to what is truthful, what do you recommend using?

Sorry, that came out wrong. Some people, in my opinion, when they are posting science and statistics, present it in a way that can be very......for lack of better terminology, holier than thou. I read the science behind Whole30 and as much as I respect what the authors are doing, I didn't completely agree with some things that they wrote about. That being said, it didn't mean that I didn't try everything that they recommended. Not everything worked for me and I'm okay with that.
    Just like some people swear by NutriSystem or Weight Watchers, it doesn't work for everybody despite the science behind it.
    I'm not trying to get into a pi$$ing contest with anyone. Just voicing my opinion like everyone else and trying to be supportive of the people who want it.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I answered my own question ...