Day 5 of Drastic Calorie Reduction Diet and NO RESULTS!

Options
124»

Replies

• iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Patience grasshopper.

You didn't gain this weight in 5 days - you are not dropping it in 5 days. Would also recommend you intake more calories like the other posters are suggesting and follow the MFP plan here. It really works - I fell off the wagon and gained a lot of weight. However, with following the caloric intake guide and exercising, I'm making my way back.

Don't give up.
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Your approach is wrong: crash dieting and expecting results in five days? It takes longer than that to lose fat, even longer on a diet like that and you'll lose LBM, and in the meantime, any movement on the scale is likely to be water.

Weight loss takes TIME and patience. There are no quick fixes. Sorry that's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    b7bbs wrote: »
    you are eating far too little, your body is starving and hanging onto every calorie of fuel for dear life. Change it to 1500-1700 calories a day and you'll see progress.

Agreed, you are not consuming enough calories and your body has gone into starvation mode. You're eating very healthy food, just need to eat more. I suggest upping your calories. You shouldn't be any lower than 1200.

You will see results. It just takes time and patience. I wish you the very best.

LOL @ starvation mode in 5 days, uh really??....

I wish ppl would just stop it with the whole starvation mode thing. This is not the answer every time a person says "help I'm not losing some weight."

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    jazzine1 wrote: »
    you are eating far too little, your body is starving and hanging onto every calorie of fuel for dear life. Change it to 1500-1700 calories a day and you'll see progress.

Agreed, you are not consuming enough calories and your body has gone into starvation mode. You're eating very healthy food, just need to eat more. I suggest upping your calories. You shouldn't be any lower than 1200.

You will see results. It just takes time and patience. I wish you the very best.

I wish ppl would just stop it with the whole starvation mode thing. This is not the answer every time a person says "help I'm not losing some weight."

tumblr_lcep19hsqV1qa2nz2o1_500.gif

Um, why are you responding to a topic almost 2 years later. I really wish people would realize how forums work...
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MelsAuntie wrote:
    you are eating far too little, your body is starving and hanging onto every calorie of fuel
    Yes, she's not eating enough,
    and no, the body does not magically hang onto calories if not fed enough.

The body burns fuel (calories) to run.
    It has to. If it doesn't, you die in very short order.

It prefers to get calories from carbs (glucose, then glycogen),
    then it burns fat,
    and as a distant third it will burn protein, but that's an inefficient conversion and is a hail Mary because it's betting that you'll find food before your heart or diaphragm stop working & you die. THAT is starvation mode.

Here's a very well-done explanation of what starvation actually is, and the various misguided internet myths (like the one you stated) about it.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i guess you should give up :(
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    jazzine1 wrote: »

tumblr_lcep19hsqV1qa2nz2o1_500.gif

Um, why are you responding to a topic almost 2 years later. I really wish people would realize how forums work...

I sat here and read the whole thread before I realized it was a zombie thread. I want my time back.
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The only 2 major flaws in your cunning plan are a) you are eating ridiculously too few calories (you need to net your BMR at least) and b) your expectation of results in a short space of time.

Exactly how do you lose weight consuming net calories at or more than your current BMR??? :noway:
  • MKEgal
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am on my 5th day of a drastic calorie reduction diet and haven't seen any results
    Not too surprising. You're at a healthy weight already, so if you could lose weight it would be very slow. Also, 5 days isn't going to give you much of a change.
    I am 31 year old female. I weigh 150 and I am 5'10"
    That's a perfectly reasonable & healthy weight for your height.
    Going by BMI you should be 130 - 170 lb. So you're right in the middle of the healthy range. You're fine.

What you describe as your previous food intake does sound unhealthy & unbalanced.
    According to my tracker I am consuming approximately 700-900 calories a day.
    This calculator from the Baylor College of Medicine will tell you not only your BMI, but how many calories and how many servings of the various food groups you should be eating to maintain your weight at various activity levels.
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html

It says that for the stats you've given us, if you are _inactive_ you'll need 1543 cal/day.
    If you're active less than a hour a day, you'll need 1918 cal/day.
    (Those are actual calories, not net. Ignore net.)

So you are eating waaaay too little to get the nutrition you need to run your body & stay healthy.
    Stop it.
    Start eating at a healthy level, add weightlifting to your exercise routine, and you'll see your shape change.
    I usually use the stationary rower for 30 to 60 minutes a day alternating 5 days a week. I walk about 2 miles a day, but at a casual pace.
    That sounds good for maintaining your current healthy weight.
    But where's the weightlifting? If nothing else is available, do body weight workouts. Use your google-fu, check youtube, and read this article. It references the study from the American College of Sports Medicine, so this isn't something made up by a blogger.

Doing resistance exercises will strengthen & tone your muscles. You will be stronger, look sleek, lose inches ... be a smaller size even at the same or slightly higher weight (which will still be well within the healthy weight range, so stop stressing about that).

You can't spot-reduce fat to any useful degree (yes, it happens, but the effect is miniscule, not worth the effort). What you can do is reduce fat overall and tone the underlying muscles. So do extra core exercises - planks all the way around, situps, leg raises, etc.

Also, put your measurements in this calculator to see if your body fat is in a healthy range.
    http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy
  • MKEgal
    edited March 2015
    Options
    iggyboo93 wrote:
    Patience grasshopper.
    LOL! You're the only other person I've seen use that phrase.
    I had to go look at your profile, and yep, we're about the same age.
    Must have watched the same TV show way back when. :grinning:

david-carradine-looking-back-at-a-cult-legend-03-440-75.jpg
    And now that it's been pointed out, yes, this is a zombie thread.
    Sorry for perpetuating it.
    But if you look at the OP's ticker, she's gone on to lose the weight she wanted to lose, still wants to lose 5 more, so obviously she didn't take our advice about staying at a healthy weight. :frowning:
  • MKEgal
    Options
    you need to net your BMR at least
    Um, why?
    Ever since I got serious about losing weight (JAN13) I've been eating several hundred cal under my BMR (the vast majority of days... I do have days I go way over), and my doctors are happy with my health & my progress in losing weight.

And those are actual calories, not net. Ignore net.
    First, most people underestimate what they eat.
    Second, most machines (including MFP) overestimate calories burned.
    For most people, most of the time, those errors cancel out.

• sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Patience young grasshopper.