Lemonade diet

Options

Replies

• AZTallguy
    AZTallguy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    RIght and I agree with you that people should abstain. But I am being monitored and still have to be on the dose the dr. prescribes. Am I saying that cleanses are a end all solution to permanent weight loss? No. Can it hurt temporarily to help get rid of some of the bad stuff in the system? Not in my opinion. I wouldn't do it every month though. I look at like changing the oil in our car. The oil eventually gets dirty...time for an oil change.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    AZTallguy wrote: »
    AquabearGO wrote: »
    Not to continue a contentious debate, but I dont think people that drink heavily or do drugs are at all concerned with flushing out their system for health reasons.

I was refering to people who are getting sober. See my line of thought now?

0 for 3 ... that's a strikeout, folks.

Lemonade "detoxes" will not cleanse the body of drugs and alcohol beyond what the body already does.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    RIght and I agree with you that people should abstain. But I am being monitored and still have to be on the dose the dr. prescribes. Am I saying that cleanses are a end all solution to permanent weight loss? No. Can it hurt temporarily to help get rid of some of the bad stuff in the system? Not in my opinion. I wouldn't do it every month though. I look at like changing the oil in our car. The oil eventually gets dirty...time for an oil change.

Except that's not how the human body works.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

What exactly is the "bad stuff" in your system. Second time I've asked btw.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

What dirty oil can be flushed by a random mix of lemon juice, cayenne etc that our highly evolved liver and kidneys can't cope with? If your liver and kidneys aren't coping, that's an issue for a doctor, not for a ridiculous Dr Oz/Pintrest concoction.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I no this is totally great advice. I'll start working on calories counting and better eating habits... Just really frustrating when the results are slow... :neutral_face:

Yeah, it is. I was moaning about it in a thread of my own earlier.

But you know what? What in life that is worth doing is ever quick?

We didn't put this weight on in a few weeks. So why do we expect it to come off in a few weeks?
  • SilverRose89
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm going to try it for about 5 days. Why? I want to jump start my metabolism again and I'm on a high dose of blood thinners (rat poison). So anything I can do to stop overtaxing my liver and kidneys I'm going to try.

If you are on blood thinners you really need to be talking to your doctor before you do this. Not that detoxes work or anything, but if you're determined to do one anyway, at least discuss it with the doctor first.
  • AZTallguy
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

Second time I've asked btw.
    Yes, I see that. Give me a chance...Expert! Someone who doesn't want to be a therapist??

The smoke, the smog for few. All of the things in tap water. Recycled tap water, things like the millions of us ingest and pee back into the system and the system can't possibly filter out. You know, the little things of everyday living people don't think of.
  • Azexas
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

Second time I've asked btw.
    Yes, I see that. Give me a chance...Expert! Someone who doesn't want to be a therapist??

The smoke, the smog for few. All of the things in tap water. Recycled tap water, things like the millions of us ingest and pee back into the system and the system can't possibly filter out. You know, the little things of everyday living people don't think of.

aka- everything filtered through the kidneys and liver already. Gottcha.

Prove that the system can't filter it.
  • AZTallguy
    Options
    Now you're just being childish. Or I could say "Prove that it can" I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
  • SilverRose89
    Options
    Now you're just being childish. Or I could say "Prove that it can" I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

In science and medicine, the onus is on the person making the claim to prove it, not the other way around.
  • Azexas
    edited March 2015
    Options

You make the claim. You back it up. It's funny. I spent 4 years in nursing school and not one class on needing a detox or a cleanse. Just very in depth studies over the liver and kidneys. Wonder why.
  • Azexas
    Options

In science and medicine, the onus is on the person making the claim to prove it, not the other way around.

Yupp +1 :)
  • Ninkyou
    Options

Science has proven though that your body filters everyday 'toxins' out. Just because there might be the presence of a chemical in the body, natural or synthetic, does not mean that it is doing harm or needs to be 'flushed out' of the system like an oil change. The skin, kidneys, lymphatic system, gastrointestinal system, and the liver all filter these things out for us. You don't need to do anything extra. Research and science have tested these things time and time again.
  • Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    AquabearGO wrote: »
    Not to continue a contentious debate, but I dont think people that drink heavily or do drugs are at all concerned with flushing out their system for health reasons.

I was refering to people who are getting sober. See my line of thought now?

No, if you think you drink to excess. Stopping heavy drinking in such an uncontrolled way could end up in withdrawal reactions. They include delirium, seizures and death.
    If you suddenly stop drinking and just have lemonade, you risk taking in glucose ( e.g. maple syrup) without enough vitamin B1 which leads to Wernicke's encephalopathy.

There is also a risk of water intoxication. If you really try to 'flush your system' then you will upset your electrolytes and would put your heart at risk.

There are LOTS of other risks, but Ill stick with that for now...
  • AZTallguy
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's insight and help. I'm not a doctor just a guy who has mistreated his body for a number of years and is now trying to clean up some of the damage. Can I prove anything? No. But what I am going to do is what I feel is right for me, which is my right. Thanks again you guys. Good luck on your journey!
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's insight and help. I'm not a doctor just a guy who has mistreated his body for a number of years and is now trying to clean up some of the damage. Can I prove anything? No. But what I am going to do is what I feel is right for me, which is my right. Thanks again you guys. Good luck on your journey!

I sincerely hope you speak with your doctor before doing this.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

I sincerely hope you speak with your doctor before doing this.

Agreed. Just because something 'feels right' does NOT mean it is right. Merciful Ath, you just have to look around to see a million examples of people doing what 'feels right' and damaging themselves, sometimes irreversibly.
  • SilverRose89
    Options

Definitely speak to your doctor before undertaking a drastic diet change (which a cleanse most certainly is). It can have a big affect on drugs such as Warfarin, which is the type of drug I presume you are on about.