If you're not building muscle in a deficit, you're...

Options
Alatariel75
Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
what? I had a conversation with an aquaintence who commented on my weight loss as really noticable, even though she saw me about 6 weeks ago and I've only lost a kilo since then. When I mentioned that it was strange that she wasn't the first to mention I suddenly looked smaller (despite basically being on a self-induced plateau since November), she trotted out the "you must be replacing fat with muscle" theory.

I tried to explain that this isn't how it works, and even if I was strength training, you don't build muscle on a deficit. She asked then - how come people strength training while on a diet get stronger? and I realised I didn't have an answer, just a concept that your exising muscles get... what? more efficient? stronger, if not bigger?

Can someone explain?

Thank you!

Replies

• azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but from what I have learned...
    Strength and growth are not the same. You can get stronger in a deficit, but not bigger (except the "newbie gains" some people experience).
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    You can strengthen the muscles you already have, but you can't grow them bigger.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    what? I had a conversation with an aquaintence who commented on my weight loss as really noticable, even though she saw me about 6 weeks ago and I've only lost a kilo since then. When I mentioned that it was strange that she wasn't the first to mention I suddenly looked smaller (despite basically being on a self-induced plateau since November), she trotted out the "you must be replacing fat with muscle" theory.

I tried to explain that this isn't how it works, and even if I was strength training, you don't build muscle on a deficit. She asked then - how come people strength training while on a diet get stronger? and I realised I didn't have an answer, just a concept that your exising muscles get... what? more efficient? stronger, if not bigger?

Can someone explain?

Thank you!

If you're eating at maintenance and in a plateau but doing weights, isn't that pretty much the equivalent of doing a recomposition (eat at maintenance, lift, lose fat, gain muscle)?
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    When you're first starting out with training, you can definitely see some muscle gains while eating at a deficit. There are also some theories about within day calorie surpluses and deficits, but I'm not sure how well researched they are, or if it they fit into the category of bro science.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes you can build some muscle in a small calorie deficit, especially if you are new (or returning) to weights and if you are "over fat" - as Lyle McDonald quaintly phrases it.
    Essentially you are pulling some of the energy required to build muscle from your fat reserves.

BTW - there is only a loose connection between strength and muscle growth, you can get an awful lot stronger without adding any more muscle mass. Again this is very pronounced in newbies to strength training or those returning after a break. Your nervous system is geting better at recruiting your existing muscle fibres.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Cool, that's kind of what I thought/explained.
  • kroff2003
    kroff2003 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can grow muscle on a deficit, you just will not get big muscles. I am so tired of reading the lies on this board about it. Muscles will grow, fat is reduced, people look better. If you starve yourself or don't do strength training, then yes, your muscles will not grow in a deficit but if you maintain a decent deficit, strength train and have a good diet you will. Muscle changes are not all diet related. I wish some people would read and anatomy and physiology book........
  • WeaponXI
    WeaponXI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    kroff2003 wrote: »
    You can grow muscle on a deficit, you just will not get big muscles. I am so tired of reading the lies on this board about it. Muscles will grow, fat is reduced, people look better. If you starve yourself or don't do strength training, then yes, your muscles will not grow in a deficit but if you maintain a decent deficit, strength train and have a good diet you will. Muscle changes are not all diet related. I wish some people would read and anatomy and physiology book........

^THIS!^
    Plus, people are than convinced that their gains on a deficit are not possible, so they start to believe that, even though the mirror, tells them otherwise.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

This doesn't make any sense to me.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    A lot of your gains in the beginning are neural adaptations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neural_adaptation
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-2.html/

If you're a newbie or overfat you can gain some muscle, although it's definitely not going to be as much as you would build at maintenance or in a surplus.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Yes you can build some muscle in a small calorie deficit, especially if you are new (or returning) to weights and if you are "over fat" - as Lyle McDonald quaintly phrases it.
    Essentially you are pulling some of the energy required to build muscle from your fat reserves.

BTW - there is only a loose connection between strength and muscle growth, you can get an awful lot stronger without adding any more muscle mass. Again this is very pronounced in newbies to strength training or those returning after a break. Your nervous system is getting better at recruiting your existing muscle fibres.

^this.

Also, muscle size change due to water retention (good) during training will make muscles look bigger. This increase in cross section also results in static strength increase.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    My experience.

I lost 75 pounds while in a 1-pound per week deficit over a period of 18 months and became lean, strong, gained muscle and lost fat. Fact!

During this deficit - I went to the gym every other day...4 days one week, 3 days the next, repeat. I did three 15 minute sets of weights broken up by three 15 minute sets of cardio - 90 minute routine...every other day...all while in a deficit. I did this without fail...never missed a day unless dead or dying.

When I started I could not do one chin up, one (legit) push up, 10 crunches without a pause, etc. At the end of 18 months of working out hard (I mean I was serious), all while in a 1-pound per week deficit, I could do 7 legit chin-ups from a dead-hang (albeit #7 was ugly)...I could do push-ups all day long...I did Insanity...cycled for miles and miles and miles, etc. I did this all at age 51-52 (I am 54 now).

I also never got big...just lean.

My biceps, chest, forearms all increased in size, but they did not get huge. I looked lean and well toned. My waist and hips all got smaller. My gut disappeared. I had broad shoulders and narrow hips...I also got my body fat down to a level where my six pack was just beginning to show in just the right light, with a little Photoshop help B) I could take my shirt off at the beach and not have to suck in my gut. Etc.

So - don't let anyone ever tell you that you can't gain muscle in a deficit. You can. You just won't get big and ripped.

In closing - Please do not critique my gym routine - it worked for me. My suggestion is for you, while running a deficit, to find something you can do and stick with it. When doing cardio - do it hard - so hard it is hard to talk or wear a HRM and make sure you are in the right zone. Free weights are waaaay more difficult to start with than machines but do sooooo much more for you in the long run. Do not be a chicken...get started with free weights. Get a trainer if needed. Everyone a the gym started sometime and most are willing to help if you ask for some pointers.

Cheers!
  • KirbySmith46
    KirbySmith46 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    My experience.

I lost 75 pounds while in a 1-pound per week deficit over a period of 18 months and became lean, strong, gained muscle and lost fat. Fact!

During this deficit - I went to the gym every other day...4 days one week, 3 days the next, repeat. I did three 15 minute sets of weights broken up by three 15 minute sets of cardio - 90 minute routine...every other day...all while in a deficit. I did this without fail...never missed a day unless dead or dying.

When I started I could not do one chin up, one (legit) push up, 10 crunches without a pause, etc. At the end of 18 months of working out hard (I mean I was serious), all while in a 1-pound per week deficit, I could do 7 legit chin-ups from a dead-hang (albeit #7 was ugly)...I could do push-ups all day long...I did Insanity...cycled for miles and miles and miles, etc. I did this all at age 51-52 (I am 54 now).

My biceps, chest, forearms all increased in size, but they did not get huge. I looked lean and well toned. My waist and hips all got smaller. My gut disappeared. I had broad shoulders and narrow hips...I also got my body fat down to a level where my six pack was just beginning to show in just the right light, with a little Photoshop help B) I could take my shirt off at the beach and not have to suck in my gut. Etc.

So - don't let anyone ever tell you that you can't gain muscle in a deficit. You can. You just won't get big and ripped.

In closing - Please do not critique my gym routine - it worked for me. My suggestion is for you, while running a deficit, to find something you can do and stick with it. When doing cardio - do it hard - so hard it is hard to talk or wear a HRM and make sure you are in the right zone. Free weights are waaaay more difficult to start with than machines but do sooooo much more for you in the long run. Do not be a chicken...get started with free weights. Get a trainer if needed. Everyone a the gym started sometime and most are willing to help if you ask for some pointers.

Cheers!

Great post. I've experienced the exact same thing. I've lost 38 pounds but I've gotten stronger and bigger in the right areas, so you can definitely gain muscle in a deficit. It's a fact!
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My experience.

Cheers!

I needed to see this today. Thank you, and congrats on your success!!
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options

No lies, what you describe is exactly what people say can happen. You were new to lifting had excessive fat and only made Midwest gains in size. That is in line with the prevailing wisdom on this site.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Modest not Midwest.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    A lot of your gains in the beginning are neural adaptations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neural_adaptation
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-2.html/

If you're a newbie or overfat you can gain some muscle, although it's definitely not going to be as much as you would build at maintenance or in a surplus.
    This.

Also, think of competitors who do Olympic and powerlifting in weight classes. Their objective isn't to gain or lose any weight, but to get stronger. If they go up in weight, they'll move out of their class. So they just train on strength increasing and many do get stronger without bodyweight changing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• erikarobles
    erikarobles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hi there :) I am not reading any of the comments I am only going to talk to you about MY personal experience. I am a big girl, around 180 and short. I started lifing weights about 3 months ago (CLX) I have lost 2 pants size but no weight. I eat 1700 calories a day and have tried to go lower but cannot increase my weights when I go below those calories. I am also on a LCHF diet. I hope you keep getting complimented it is great for the self esteem!!!! Feel free to add me.
  • erikarobles
    erikarobles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    P.S. I am NOT a newbie....sorry forgot to add that :)