Having a treat 1/2x a week and peoples reactions to it

Options

Replies

• ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    As long as you're still eating at a deficit it doesn't matter. I eat treats all the time, I'm not the kind of person that can live without treats, I just make sure it fits in my calorie limit.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    On the other topic forum she states she doesn't log, constantly runs out of calories, drinks regular soda every day (also as a "treat") and bunch of other things. I am not demonizing soda or the McDonald's, but if she is having these everyday, while running out of calories, I doubt she will see much progress. Also, here she says she only has a "treat" 1/2x a week. The soda thread she calls it a "treat" and everyday, so I have a feeling she has other "treats" daily as well. This might be why her mom disproves.

This.

As an "all or nothing person" I have a feeling you're in the "all" phase and your mom called you on it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - your profile says your are 25 years old….why do you care what your mom says and she is she dictating what you eat? you are grown woman not a ten year old, you can eat what you want, when you want.

how exactly does someone have a treat a "1/2 time a week"
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I believe you should treat yourself 1 to 2 times a week at the weekend. The difference is changing the types of treats you have for example you mention craving a caramel sundae from Mcdonalds.. to me this is a waste of calories as it has absolutley no nutritional value, I would advise googling healthy treat options and start incorporating them in to your life, at first you will crave whar you know but eventually your palet will get used to these treats and your body and will thank you for treating it with respect and giving it what it needs.

My main healthy treats I snack on on weekends are Protien pancakes with strawberries and natural yoghart or peanut butter and banana. I also love dark warm almond milk with a handful or cashew nuts and dark choclate. Fruit salads with granola yoghart and honey is amazing if your craving sweet.

Google has thousands of easy recipes which if you choose can improve your health and life.

i see the clean eating zealots have made an appearance…

if you hit your calories/macros/micros for the day what does it matter what the "treat' is…?

and what do you mean it has no nutritional value? It has fat, protein, and carbs which are essential macronutrients….
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - your profile says your are 25 years old….why do you care what your mom says and she is she dictating what you eat? you are grown woman not a ten year old, you can eat what you want, when you want.

I read it as "one or two times per week".
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    If you're not accurately logging and weighing your food, then no, you shouldnt have it - sorry.

I have treats all the time (not mcdonalds cause gross) but we eat out all the time. i have treats and candy and deserts all the time. ive lost 23 pounds since january. i log EVERYTHING i eat. if i dont have calories for it - i dont eat it. i *usually* know when were going to be eating out, and plan appropriately. most meals out (in a restaurant) will cover two meals for me because of the high calorie counts. That is how i work our lifestyle into my new 'food lifestyle'. and it works.

I'm making a cake later this week and am having friends come over and they will go home with about 2/3 of it (the rest saved for my hubby and kids). I will likely have a very small piece (just one). I made a truly DECADENT birthday cake for myself a couple of months ago. double chocolate, raspberry filled, fudge icing.... mmmm.....had ONE slice, about the width of my finger. that was all. and i was good with it. i had my treat!

your comment about being ' all or nothing' is concerning because that doesn't account for moderation and real life scenarios.

Moderation and real life - like where someone with 58kg to lose who used to eat whole pizzas shouldn't eat a couple slices because she's electing not to log calories on MyFitnessPal right now?

if theyre not logging their food, its entirely possible they are making up those calories elsewhere. call me a skeptic, but if i need proof what they are doing fits within their calorie goals before i give a pat on the head, smile, and send them on their way.

What else is she not to have because she's not logging? Rice, beans, chicken, spinach, olive oil, bananas? These all have calories, too, and could be eaten in excess compared to calorie goals as well

I just think cutting back portions and actually using her gym membership is an excellent starting point, and anything else she chooses to do on top of that would only be an improvement. If anything it would be more 'all or nothing' to say unless I log all my calories, I can't practice portion control

For sure cutting down portions is improvement. The question is how does one define "improvement", and how does one know how much is too much when not using the tools in the way they are meant to be used? If e.g. she eats everyday 2 pizzas, she might end up with 10 extra kilos by the end of the month. If she eat 1, she might end up with 5 extra kilos. Definite improvement, but not what she was hoping for. If she said "I have logged my calories for the day and there are 400 left", or "the way I eat lately I lose on average 1 kilo every 2 weeks", then it would be reasonable to fit a 400 calorie treat in there without worrying. When she has nothing logged, and has no weight loss recorded so far, how does she know if this treat will mean nothing at all, or even a weight gain?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I read it as "one or two times per week".

ohhhhhhh that / sign threw me off …

if i was typing 1 to 2 times I would use a dash not a slash ...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    If you're not accurately logging and weighing your food, then no, you shouldnt have it - sorry.

I have treats all the time (not mcdonalds cause gross) but we eat out all the time. i have treats and candy and deserts all the time. ive lost 23 pounds since january. i log EVERYTHING i eat. if i dont have calories for it - i dont eat it. i *usually* know when were going to be eating out, and plan appropriately. most meals out (in a restaurant) will cover two meals for me because of the high calorie counts. That is how i work our lifestyle into my new 'food lifestyle'. and it works.

I'm making a cake later this week and am having friends come over and they will go home with about 2/3 of it (the rest saved for my hubby and kids). I will likely have a very small piece (just one). I made a truly DECADENT birthday cake for myself a couple of months ago. double chocolate, raspberry filled, fudge icing.... mmmm.....had ONE slice, about the width of my finger. that was all. and i was good with it. i had my treat!

your comment about being ' all or nothing' is concerning because that doesn't account for moderation and real life scenarios.

Moderation and real life - like where someone with 58kg to lose who used to eat whole pizzas shouldn't eat a couple slices because she's electing not to log calories on MyFitnessPal right now?

if theyre not logging their food, its entirely possible they are making up those calories elsewhere. call me a skeptic, but if i need proof what they are doing fits within their calorie goals before i give a pat on the head, smile, and send them on their way.

What else is she not to have because she's not logging? Rice, beans, chicken, spinach, olive oil, bananas? These all have calories, too, and could be eaten in excess compared to calorie goals as well

I just think cutting back portions and actually using her gym membership is an excellent starting point, and anything else she chooses to do on top of that would only be an improvement. If anything it would be more 'all or nothing' to say unless I log all my calories, I can't practice portion control

she should be logging everything. thats the point. how do you know what youre eating, if you dont log it accurately?

People all over the planet lose weight all the time without logging a thing. It's an excellent recommendation, especially being on this site, but not a requirement. Sometimes you're just not ready to log calories, but it doesn't mean all your other health related improvements have to be put on hold. But yes I do agree she could be eating the two slices of pizza and still not be in a deficit. Taking her word from her original post though, it seems in the past like many of us she used to eat MUCH MORE.
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have an occasional treat or slice of pizza. Just yesterday I had a delicious piece of banana nut bread & I've lost 23lbs so far in 3 months. It helps keep cravings away. There's nothing wrong with eating treats on occasion just as long as it fits in your calorie goal. Best of luck!! :-)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

For sure cutting down portions is improvement. The question is how does one define "improvement", and how does one know how much is too much when not using the tools in the way they are meant to be used? If e.g. she eats everyday 2 pizzas, she might end up with 10 extra kilos by the end of the month. If she eat 1, she might end up with 5 extra kilos. Definite improvement, but not what she was hoping for. If she said "I have logged my calories for the day and there are 400 left", or "the way I eat lately I lose on average 1 kilo every 2 weeks", then it would be reasonable to fit a 400 calorie treat in there without worrying. When she has nothing logged, and has no weight loss recorded so far, how does she know if this treat will mean nothing at all, or even a weight gain?

Absolutely agree. Especially if you like numbers, logging accurately will tell you not just that you're meeting your daily targets but what sort of long term progress to expect.
  • LetterboxingMoose
    LetterboxingMoose Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think the best way to prove to her that you can have an occasional treat is to show her at least a weeks worth of completed diary entries where you are under your caloric goal. If you are not tracking your food, you will not be able to tell if you can afford to eat it or not. If most of your food choices are healthy and you are exercising, it will help her to put things into perspective. Also keep in mind that moms love their kids and although she may not be doing it in the best way, her actions are a sign that she loves you and wants you to be healthy.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you lost since your mom got you the membership?
  • meremaid2014
    Options
    Personally, I have a treat every day. It helps keep me balanced. And yes, some days I go over my net calories. But it's much better for my mental health, social life, and overall happiness to have a small treat daily (a little homemade cookie, or a small chocolate) and to have some splurge days (friends inviting me out for dinner, no way to count calories, just want to enjoy the food and live my life). I had a good friend once who was a bit heavier, but she had a lot of mental issues around food/exercise (prior eating disorder, was severely underweight). She found it was better for her overall quality of life to be a bit overweight (not exercising as much, having a few more treats) than to restrict because then she spiraled out of control. I think that's one of the dangers of MFP, it can make people have some pretty disordered thoughts. I track my calories out of interest, and might refuse a snack because I see how close I am to my daily limit. But only allowing a certain number of treats per week, or only on certain days, or not eating things because I'm not sure how to count the calories....that isn't living to me! I don't think treats need justifying to your mother or anyone else. You're an adult, it's your life, do what makes you happy.
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Haha, omg I hate how when I post on here, people seem to read all of my other threads on the same day and judge me. I know I'm shocking and sound terrible, it's so hard to be honest and open and put yourself out there when you are just starting out, and don't really know what you are doing. I have a very disordered way of looking at weightloss (I used to look at thinspo and only eat one meal a day) and have a really bad body image. It sucks having people analyse everything you do and make you sound like an idiot, even if you did a good job of that yourself. I wish I could post anonymously so that people wouldn't realise it was me posting all the crazy threads.

If I wasn't so embarrassed, ashamed of myself, scared etc, maybe I would log everyday. What I post is based on past entries. I have logged my food a few times.

Thanks for the help though. I feel like I am learning some stuff, and most of the support means the world to me.

It makes me laugh how so many of you are talking about me like I'm not here. I am reading all of the replies.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »
    Haha, omg I hate how when I post on here, people seem to read all of my other threads on the same day and judge me. I know I'm shocking and sound terrible, it's so hard to be honest and open and put yourself out there when you are just starting out, and don't really know what you are doing. I have a very disordered way of looking at weightloss (I used to look at thinspo and only eat one meal a day) and have a really bad body image. It sucks having people analyse everything you do and make you sound like an idiot, even if you did a good job of that yourself. I wish I could post anonymously so that people wouldn't realise it was me posting all the crazy threads.

If I wasn't so embarrassed, ashamed of myself, scared etc, maybe I would log everyday. What I post is based on past entries. I have logged my food a few times.

Thanks for the help though. I feel like I am learning some stuff, and most of the support means the world to me.

It makes me laugh how so many of you are talking about me like I'm not here. I am reading all of the replies.

I learned a great deal by lurking the boards here and never typing a word...

When you post on an open forum you are opening yourself up to ALL opinions, not just the ones you want to hear.
  • xstephnz
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    I learned a great deal by lurking the boards here and never typing a word...

When you post on an open forum you are opening yourself up to ALL opinions, not just the ones you want to hear.

Lurking probably would have been a better option lol. My bad.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »

Many original poster's don't return. Our topics would be extremely short if we counted on having discussions with them, so sometimes it tends to look more like being "about them" instead. Sorry if you found that offensive, though. I agree you shouldn't have to feel that way when you're just trying to change your life

In addition to just searching old posts you can also make your diary 100% private to yourself only

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Most people make the suggestion for making diaries public so people can help review and make suggestions, but for the first time I'm recommending the opposite hah

Good luck
  • xstephnz
    Options

Most people make the suggestion for making diaries public so people can help review and make suggestions, but for the first time I'm recommending the opposite hah

Good luck

I was scared of making it public because I was making really poor food choices. A few months ago I was eating fast food 3-4x a week. And not just a little bit at a time either.

Since moving back in with family, I haven't been able to do that as much. Don't have the constant cravings for it either :-) I guess I just stopped seeing it as an option. And also, I'm not the only one cooking, there's two other people to take turns with.
  • orlandodenise
    orlandodenise Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Some personalities have the ability to have treats by saving up calories and eating in moderation and unfortunately some dont. Im one that cant really go off and eat McDonalds or a pizza. It would play on my mind, id worry Id broken the diet as my brain plays tricks like that. Id also get a taste and that could be it. Only after 2 months ( on my second wave of weight loss and after 30 pounds ) have I allowed myself a treat of one glass of wine now and again.

I can see how your mum feels - treats need to be earned and only when a lifestyle new eating plan has embedded in my view
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    How about...

Throw the word "treat" out of the window.

Don't associate food with emotional or otherwise valued terms. Food is food is food. Associate food with the numbers of calories and macronutrients it contains and fit those numbers in to your daily goal numbers.

Eat what you want, using a modicum of user intelligence to create a happy and sustainable dietary intake that will firstly promote weight loss and then maintenance, that you can adhere to for the rest of your living days.

Discover self control. I assume you are an adult without any sort of mental faculty issues, realize you put the food in your mouth, you have the choice as to what goes in there.

Track your dietary intake. Eat at a calorie deficit. Move more.

If you (or you mother) wish to send me 9.99 a month whilst using the above, feel free.