Two people with large difference in caloric needs

Options
My husband and I are both doing MFP but meal planning is really difficult. I get about 1450 calories a day but my husband gets 2450 a day. I cook dinner and make lunches while I'm making dinner. While I'm doing that I just track for both of us because it is most convenient. It's not difficult for me to get my calories each day but it is really difficult for my husband. He tells me he doesn't have to eat that much but I guess I'm in the WW mentality of "you have to eat your calories". I don't know which of us is right. At any rate, he tends to always be about 500 calories below his goal before exercising. I use full fat cheeses, mayo, yogurt and anything else I can think of to raise his calories but he is still short. I've thought about putting cookies, candy bar, etc in his lunch bag but he won't eat it because he says he can't. He's driving me nuts. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to sneak extra calories in? Or does he even need to eat those calories?

Replies

• Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Ah! 2,450 calories a day is like a fantasy for meeeee.

I have no advice, sorry for being so useless. =P But maybe it would be good if you added his stats, like his height, current weight, calories to maintain his current weight, BMI?
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Why are you even worrying about his calories? He's a big boy. Let him worry about it.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    How about some avocado slices, nuts, well nuts alone through out the day as a healthy snack and definitely will add in some healthy fats and plenty of cals. For some reason my mind is blanking out on anything else. The rest of the crew will be adding ideas shortly I'm sure. :)

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Me and my husband do it really easy. He gets the same meals as me. And next to it he eats what he want or need. Like snacking
    I am on 1200 to 1300 So he get all the nutrition's he need from our meals
    But to his meal i add the salad dressing or the melted cheese sauce, on his bake potato he takes 2 tsp of sour cream mine is a half. In the morning scrambled egg for both his has cheese mine not etc etc. When i go to the gym he eat his peanut butter crackers and nuts etc

He doesn't have to lose any weight and is a sedentary ( retired) senior so his needs are not that high.
    But to make it easy on me and to support me he eats the same and just take some more what he want next to it.

Maybe you can find a way with this info? Dont know.
    But i find it mighty handy that he eat the same I only change some little things in his meal to make it more calorie dense
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    My husband can eat about 1000 calories more than I can too. When I make food for the family, I just make a larger portion for him. 2 extra pancakes, 1 extra chicken breast, more pasta. Honestly, if he isn't hungry or tired I don't imagine it matters that his is under his calories.
  • lucretiaderoso
    lucretiaderoso Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ideally, he needs to be close to those calories because when you do a large amount of calorie gaps for a long enough period of time, it makes weight loss more challenging on your body (i.e. your weight can stagnate, your muscle might start breaking down, progressively worse temper, etc. Those are just examples, but there are a multitude of unpleasant side effects of eating too little for too long.)

The typically recommended weight loss deficit is 20%, whether or not that is your husband's goal, he should never shoot to lose more than 2 pounds a week over the long term. If you have a minimum goal, you should stick to it. Try getting some granola clusters or nut clusters that aren't super bulky but will add calories (I love adding Kirkland Cashew Clusters from Costco for example, since they are reasonably priced, taste good, and have good nutrient ratios.)

You could try protein bars or shakes too because you can add up calories pretty quickly if you do them right (adding peanut/almond butter, fruits, veggies, and nuts to shakes and making sure they are made with 4%milk or cream if the calorie gap is that hard to bridge.)

He really should try to take more initiative in what he eats if nothing you suggest is working, but that minimum number of calories is there for a very important reason.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Seriously, he's a grown man and is going to learn nothing if you do this for him. Give him bigger portions and add nut butters, nuts, avocados (nutrient dense foods).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    jtompsn wrote: »
    My husband and I are both doing MFP but meal planning is really difficult. I get about 1450 calories a day but my husband gets 2450 a day. I cook dinner and make lunches while I'm making dinner. While I'm doing that I just track for both of us because it is most convenient. It's not difficult for me to get my calories each day but it is really difficult for my husband. He tells me he doesn't have to eat that much but I guess I'm in the WW mentality of "you have to eat your calories". I don't know which of us is right. At any rate, he tends to always be about 500 calories below his goal before exercising. I use full fat cheeses, mayo, yogurt and anything else I can think of to raise his calories but he is still short. I've thought about putting cookies, candy bar, etc in his lunch bag but he won't eat it because he says he can't. He's driving me nuts. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to sneak extra calories in? Or does he even need to eat those calories?

It is up to him really to decide if he wants to eat or drink more calories.
    Is he hungry? Is he getting enough nutrients? Does he have enough energy, etc? Is he working out heavily?
    If everything seems okay then he is probably fine not eating all of his calories.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I don't know his stats of course, but if you mean he's coming in around 1950 instead of 2450: probably not a real concern. If his goal is set to 1 pound per week, keep in mind that men burn more so can handle a higher deficit than women typically. There may be days he is hungrier, so perhaps have snacks on hand for those situations. Fruit, nuts, etc.

And in general for meal planning: its about portions. I deal with this for hubby & I, though for different reasons. I'm at maintenance & he is trying to lose ~60 pounds. So our daily nutrition needs are similar. BUT I eat 3 meals & have several snacks a day. He'll eat a small breakfast, small lunch, then a big dinner and maybe popcorn before bed. So typically, for dinner I'll have 1 chicken breast to his 2. And he'll get a big portion of sides, veggies, etc. It would be harder, I imagine, if we ate more meals together though. So hang in there!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Ps-nothing wrong, in my opinion, with you taking the lead on this. In most relationships each spouse is responsible for different areas. And while you are the lead on meal planning, I imagine he handles other responsibilities. Nothing in what you said indicates he is oblivious - actually it sounds like he is informed because he is choosing not to overeat on candy, etc. (Though candy in general: not a bad thing, just depends on how it fits overall.)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jtompsn wrote: »

2000 calories is fine for a bloke - if he feels weak or grumpy he can grab more

but I don't know why you're babying him but thats your relationship
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I have the same situation at home. DH and I are both tracking calories and he needs more than I do. I don't worry about his intake though, that's his problem. He's not nearly as accurate as I am and he doesn't get why I want to weigh everything out. But he's also never been obese (slightly overweight at his worst) and isn't losing the weight that he wants to, so whatever, that's on him.

Anyway, the only meal that we share is dinner. We do our own thing for breakfast and lunch (even on the weekends) and dinner we have together. So he has higher calorie meals for those two meals. Sometimes he gets bigger portions of what I'm eating for dinner than I do. Sometimes he'll add a dinner roll or extra cheese to it. But really, the majority of the time we eat exactly the same dinner. Then he fills the rest of his calories with snacking. He's a big snacker. I could probably eat the exact same meals as he does and hit my calorie goal, but I wouldn't be able to snack. He grazes constantly.

Worry about yourself, let your husband do his own thing.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you are the lead food maker and lunch packer, that's fine. But when it gets to the point where he won't eat an extra treat and ends up under his calorie, that is his problem not yours. It's the same as when you have children. Your job is to make food available, not to force them to eat it. If he gets hungry, he will eat. If he doesn't, oh well.
  • MyiahRose
    MyiahRose Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    So please explain how he got fat in the first place if he doesn't eat?
  • khloesdad0124
    khloesdad0124 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    my wife and I both are doing MFP and we are about the same off in terms of calories. We both generally eat the same things (just easier so let the lady take care of her man). I just double mine up sometimes and I snack throughout the day. I take some meat and cheese with me to work or I eat a P3 from Oscar Mayer (sometimes both). By the end of the day I have had close 2100 calories before working out. It's fine if he doesn't eat it though. As long as every once in a while he does eat it so that it shocks the body and keeps the body burning.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Why are you even worrying about his calories? He's a big boy. Let him worry about it.
    This.

He can have a nice big bowl of ice cream, a beer, and scoop of PB! Voila, over 500 calories.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What is it with you Americans and PB? :grinning:
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    The things wives do for there husband and then complain about doing it.