steroid use ...

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    k20az wrote: »
    How am I cheating anyone? I train for myself, compete in no sports, not governed by any bodies. You cant say hey you're bigger than me you're cheating. Cheating what?
    I think they're assuming competitions. If you are claiming you are clean to compete against other people who are, it would be cheating. If you are using them because you want to be bigger and you just workout for you, eh, that's your business.

And I'm assuming (based on what they are), the side effects would be more severe in younger teens since they can inhibit development. Of course, you know what they say about assumptions...
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    If I were a young athlete, one of my reasons for not using might be that eventually I'll be elite enough to be regulated/tested/caught/penalized for using it. Not the best reason to avoid using steroids, of course, but certainly something to consider ...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The side effects usually occur when people do too much and don't cycle on and off properly. That is usually young teens and early 20s I would assume.

It is funny when you think about it. Steroids are used to help old people, young people, sick people, but the second a healthy individual wants to take it to get to a higher performance level, it becomes illegal...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    So you are saying you are not cheating because you use a banned substance to make you bigger, but it is ok because you still train?

That is the worst logic I have ever heard.

Since his goal is to look good, not sure I would consider it "banned" (going by what he said. Not sure it's illegal there) :) I get what you are saying though.

That brings up the question though, is it cheating if everyone is doing it?
    Don't think so. Cheating is deemed as an "unfair" advantage. If everyone is doing it, then the playing field is level.
    Funny that Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens probably won't get into the Hall of Fame due to admitting use of steroids, but they were Hall of Famers well before the 90's drug fiasco. And for the other Hall of Famers calling them a disgrace because of enhancement must have totally forgot about all the use of amphetamines during their tenures in the 50's through the 80's. Of course back then, drug testing wasn't even thought of.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    How am I cheating anyone? I train for myself, compete in no sports, not governed by any bodies. You cant say hey you're bigger than me you're cheating. Cheating what?

Never mind then. Carry on. I really don't care what anyone does to themselves. I thought we were talking about competition.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    So you are saying you are not cheating because you use a banned substance to make you bigger, but it is ok because you still train?

That is the worst logic I have ever heard.
    I wouldn't think that's cheating. It's not banned in many countries overseas and really isn't any different than someone getting Lasik if it's just to better themselves personally.
    If any sport were truly "natural", there would be no speed suits, helmets, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I think they're assuming competitions. If you are claiming you are clean to compete against other people who are, it would be cheating. If you are using them because you want to be bigger and you just workout for you, eh, that's your business.

And I'm assuming (based on what they are), the side effects would be more severe in younger teens since they can inhibit development. Of course, you know what they say about assumptions...
    I think that it's subjective to a point. Tiger Woods got Lasik. Depth perception is a big factor in golf. So by getting Lasik, did he attain an unfair advantage over his peers? Had he just kept the eyesight he had, would he have attained the status as a pro as he has now?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• k20az
    k20az Posts: 14
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Side effects like everything else vary from person to person.

Abuse of steroids is the same as abuse of anything really, they will hurt you. But you drink too much you pickle your liver, kidneys etc. Moderation is the key to everything in life.
  • k20az
    k20az Posts: 14
    Options
    Oh, and it is banned in England but noone really cares. People are far more interested in bashing coke and cannabis.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

I think that it's subjective to a point. Tiger Woods got Lasik. Depth perception is a big factor in golf. So by getting Lasik, did he attain an unfair advantage over his peers? Had he just kept the eyesight he had, would he have attained the status as a pro as he has now?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

True. I'm just thinking if they've specifically said you can't take x, but 80% of the people take x anyways because they know they can get away with, I feel really sorry for that other 20% that likely just rules themselves out of the competition because they decided to follow the rules.

I guess it comes form working in regulation. I'd be in that 20% because I like to follow the rules.

Now, determining what should be banned and whatnot, I think that would be much harder. Just like bench shirts and belts are legal in powerlifting competitions, they give an advantage over those who choose not to use them.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I had LASIK done. It gave me normal eyesight. No different than glasses. Would glasses also be cheating?

I do believe it is still cheating in competition even if "everyone" is doing it so long as the rules are there against it and there is a possibility of being penalized .
  • Hornsby
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I had LASIK done. It gave me normal eyesight. No different than glasses. Would glasses also be cheating?

I do believe it is still cheating in competition even if "everyone" is doing it so long as the rules are there against it and there is a possibility of being penalized .

Some times people get Lasik and their vision is better than normal (20-15 or so). Since it is putting that person at higher than their potential, would that be cheating?

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Athletes can have a leg-up on others in the field of play in various ways, but unless it's regulated and determined to be illegal, we can't really consider it cheating, per se. Despite my very enthusiastic cheering for Pistorius, this exact issue did cross my mind. Was there an unfair advantage, despite the obstacles he obviously overcame to get to his level of athleticism? No need for outrage for the suggestion, please. I mean absolutely no disrespect for what he accomplished (before the fall). How do you fairly compare runners in that particular competition? With modern science comes plenty of controversy.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Some times people get Lasik and their vision is better than normal (20-15 or so). Since it is putting that person at higher than their potential, would that be cheating?

It is still within the realm of normal vision.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You can achieve that 20/15 vision with glasses also by getting a slightly stronger prescription.
  • Hornsby
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Then you get into "what is normal?". A 40 year old male may take steroids which will get him back to his testosterone levels of when he was 25? Would that be normal? Wouldn't glasses just be "taking you back" to a younger age with your eyesight?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's the same as it ever was in any competitive endeveour - "If you're not cheating, you're not trying hard enough."

And it will always be that way.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    In RE to your average Joe/Jane gym rat...fitness junkie type of person I would say that steroid use is for the most part non-existent...I'm sure there are some people that do it, but I would say the vast majority of fitness junkies are simply into fitness for the sake of health and fitness and the benefits of using would not be worth the costs...

It is a different story altogether when you're talking about athletes...and unfortunately some young aspiring athletes trying to break into the professional level of whatever their sport is. It seems that many of them will do just about anything to gain an edge...not to mention the benefits to recovery when you're putting in the kind of training volume those guys put in to even consider the possibility of going pro.

In that RE, I'm not talking about the high school football player or whatever...I don't know if it's an issue at that level...I'm talking about guys that are basically on the cusp of either going pro or hanging it up and discarding their dreams.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    I used steroids while working out, and lost weight quickly while my muscles still look good. Corticosteroids, against a massive asthma attack. I read some reviews that people gained weight on them, but that was not the case for me. Oh, not what you asked :wink:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Then you get into "what is normal?". A 40 year old male may take steroids which will get him back to his testosterone levels of when he was 25? Would that be normal? Wouldn't glasses just be "taking you back" to a younger age with your eyesight?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

Good point. Guys with low testosterone are getting put on HRT to get their testosterone up to "normal" levels. I am seeing guys in the gym who are getting put on doctor supervised HRT and they are making significant gains, yet their hormone levels are still in "normal" ranges. Since their hormone levels are now in "normal" ranges, are they cheating?