steroid use ...

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    The issue with simply saying "have at it" and let everyone use what they want, is that eventually the drug use will get pushed too far and people will die. Sure these things can be used in a safe manner, but if everyone uses it, then the risks of bad side effects for one person could be catastrophic.
    People die all the time.

"Save just one life" is a bs reason.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Lofteren wrote: »
    There are sports where steroid use isn't really a problem at all. By that I mean that, no one has a problem with it and everyone does it, like bodybuilding, powerlifting and strongman (at the higher levels, the newbs usually aren't into using AAS yet). I really don't think that this is bad for the sport either because spectators aren't interested in seeing "an even playing field of natural athletes", they are interested in seeing "freaks". People being freakishly huge and strong is what supports the sport financially and, without steroids, that level of size and power is just not obtainable.

With that being said, I understand that there are some sports that don't want the participants using AAS and I understand why as well; however, there are always going to be people who find a way to get a leg up on the competition. Even without AAS use there are still peptide hormones which are extremely difficult to test for. There are short acting steroids which leave almost no metabolite profile to be tested for. There are now people experimenting with genetically modifying viruses who will change your DNA in such a way that you will no longer produce myostatin (an inhibitory hormone which interrupts the M-Tor pathway, halting muscle protein synthesis) or SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin, binds with free floating testosterone to make it inactive). This would be nearly impossible to test for as well. Insulin is also commonly used by athletes to increase performance. This is obviously a practice that is far more dangerous than any dosage of anabolic steroids.

At a certain point, if you step back and look at what banning steroids in sports has caused, it becomes apparent that just letting the athletes use steroids openly would probably be safer than the ridiculous measures people have gone to in order to mimic their effects.

As someone pointed out above though, if you have competitions that are clean and competitions that allow steroids, why compete in the clean competitions if you use?

From your post, I find it a little intimidating and sad because I wouldn't mind trying my hand at a powerlifting competition if I can get my lifts up. But, if everyone else is going to be using, it's rather intimidating and disappointing.

In regards to the bodybuilding, there aren't any natural comps here so I am not familiar but is there a difference in the look the judges prefer? I mean, are you going to see people/winners who have the "freak" look (using a word that has been used here) or do you still see a smaller, more natural look even though steroids may be used?
    I would think that if the more natural look is preferred then it would at least be possible to compete against those who use steroids whereas in the other organizations, it is pretty much impossible to level up without taking something.
    Just wondering.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    The issue with simply saying "have at it" and let everyone use what they want, is that eventually the drug use will get pushed too far and people will die. Sure these things can be used in a safe manner, but if everyone uses it, then the risks of bad side effects for one person could be catastrophic.
    People die all the time.

Sure - but when the person died because he was trying to one-up his competition by popping just one more pill, I think there is a problem.
  • dbmata
    Options
    People die all the time.

Sure - but when the person died because he was trying to one-up his competition by popping just one more pill, I think there is a problem.

Yup, I agree, but that's no reason to legislate or create rules. Just like, occasionally people die from other excesses. No reason to legislate or rule that out either. Some people are going to die. Some are not.
  • glevinso
    Options
    As with most things like this - I like rules against it coming from the sport's governing body. I don't like legislation making it illegal.
  • dbmata
    Options
    As with most things like this - I like rules against it coming from the sport's governing body. I don't like legislation making it illegal.
    the legistlating body should really be reasonable though.

Like no TUE for TRT is not reasonable.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    If legislation made it legal but by doctor's orders and supervision, then it could be safer just like TRT is safe.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    In regards to the bodybuilding, there aren't any natural comps here so I am not familiar but is there a difference in the look the judges prefer? I mean, are you going to see people/winners who have the "freak" look (using a word that has been used here) or do you still see a smaller, more natural look even though steroids may be used?
    I would think that if the more natural look is preferred then it would at least be possible to compete against those who use steroids whereas in the other organizations, it is pretty much impossible to level up without taking something.
    Just wondering.

Yes, there are natural competitions, but you can look at the competitors and it’s like looking a A&F model next to the Hulk. Fans want to see Hulks, not boys. The women’s competition has split into multiple sets (bodybuilders, fitness models, etc.) because women were beginning to not look like women.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    People die all the time.

More people die from smoking, over-eating, driving, and taking showers. Do we need to save them too?

• glevinso
    Options

For TRT I could be persuaded. If your testosterone levels are shown to be in the "normal" range while under therapy I would be OK with a TUE. At least in Triathlon that is not permitted (you really can only get a TUE if you were born without testicles or something extreme like that), at least for now.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Regarding TRT in organized sports, limits could be established to prevent TRT from being abused. For instance, if the average total T for a 33 year old man is 664 dcl's then that could be the guideline for 33-year old male athletes, and anything above that would be grounds for banning from competition.
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just wondering.

Yes, there are natural competitions, but you can look at the competitors and it’s like looking a A&F model next to the Hulk. Fans want to see Hulks, not boys. The women’s competition has split into multiple sets (bodybuilders, fitness models, etc.) because women were beginning to not look like women.

I know there are natural competitions. I am asking a differene in the looks between a natural competition and the other federations.

What is a non-"natural" competition called? LOL

I also don't believe that is the reason for the different divisions within the women's competition. The men also have different divisions as well.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Regarding TRT in organized sports, limits could be established to prevent TRT from being abused. For instance, if the average total T for a 33 year old man is 664 dcl's then that could be the guideline for 33-year old male athletes, and anything above that would be grounds for banning from competition.

then someone would abuse an AI to get their free t in a more optimal position.

You're also advocating for a sporting body to essentially be defining what theraputic use is, trumping the work, knowledge, and experience of the actual physician guiding the process.

I see no problems coming from that.
  • dbmata
    Options

For TRT I could be persuaded. If your testosterone levels are shown to be in the "normal" range while under therapy I would be OK with a TUE. At least in Triathlon that is not permitted (you really can only get a TUE if you were born without testicles or something extreme like that), at least for now.

Then we'd have to have someone with experience define normal. Because normal for me, and normal for you may be different, even if we were straight up twins.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Just wondering.

I know there are natural competitions. I am asking a differene in the looks between a natural competition and the other federations.

Difference in look is usually size, leanness (how grainy their muscles look), and fullness of the muscle bellies.

• 3dogsrunning
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Just wondering.

Difference in look is usually size, leanness (how grainy their muscles look), and fullness of the muscle bellies.

Thanks. My question really was, is it easier to compete as a natural in a natural show even with people who use?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

then someone would abuse an AI to get their free t in a more optimal position.

You're also advocating for a sporting body to essentially be defining what theraputic use is, trumping the work, knowledge, and experience of the actual physician guiding the process.

I see no problems coming from that.

Then establish minimums for what is determined to be hypgonadic and grounds for therapy. If an athlete had diabetes would they be eliminated from play because they take insulin? Insulin is used to improve performance by some. If an athlete was suffering from any ailment treatable by medicine would they be refused that treatment? No. Hypogonadism is a legit issue and trust me it absolutely *kitten* with every aspect of your body physically and mentally. Just because somebody plays a sport should not prevent them from getting the therapy they need. I'm sure there is a sensible solution somewhere in the middle.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Watch Bigger, Faster, Stronger. I thought it was very interesting and it gave me a different opinion about steriods. I have a few family members who compete in BB. Pretty much MOST people in the IFBB or NPC are doing cycles or at least pro-hormones that convert once ingested. You cannot look like Ronny Coleman or Dana Linn Bailey naturally....sorry but it's true. I appreciate these athletes though. They don't just do roids and look like that. They still have to put in tons of work and eat a certain way. I don't like people on gear competing in natural shows though....that is just wrong.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've never used steroids, but as a fan of bodybuilding I've learned a lot about them. I joined my first gym in 1983. After a year of working out, everyone I knew who was as big as me or bigger was on something.
    Most people think of bodybuilders and other athletes as being the biggest consumers of steroids. The truth is that the majority of users are middle aged men trying to hang on to their youth.
    The saddest thing to me is that many natural lifters are accused of taking steroids. I had one lady who swore up and down that I was on them. I wanted to drop my pants so I could show her there were no injection marks in my butt.
    Anyone can build a pretty awesome physique if they follow a good workout plan and diet and you're never too old to start.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Just wondering.

Thanks. My question really was, is it easier to compete as a natural in a natural show even with people who use?

It depends on the level and how many years you've been working at it. I know guys who are natural who place well against steroid users at non-natural shows.

Also, there is no designation for a show that isn't natural. The natural shows and federations are labeled as natural. Sometimes the other shows have natural divisions within them, also designated for natural competitors. I've had to take a polygraph before each show stating I have been natural for at least 7 years and then at the show they select some people to be tested (it doesn't seem random, they seem to pick the suspicious ones).