Low carb dieters!

Options
The best way ive found to drop lbs without pills or starving! Anyone else use this method? Interested in ideas, recipes, and success stories!

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Drop pounds yes, but not necessarily fat
  • jennibean40
    jennibean40 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    According to my research ketosis (the state the body enters during low carb diets) burns almost solely body fat... and since i dont restrict calories i still maintain normal energy and function levels. Have you had different experiences?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    nope…

low carb/keto is just a tool for getting yourself in a calorie deficit…

you could accomplish the same with just a 500 calorie per day deficit...
  • classicalbk
    classicalbk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been dropping weight slowly and painlessly on low carb. Recently I cut out fruit and now I'm dropping weight quickly and painlessly! I will ask my strength trainer to do a fat/muscle ratio analysis soon. Any gym can do this for you. Just takes a second with the gizmo they all have. Anyway, I will be able to compare myself to last summer and last fall and see what it is that I am loosing. (49 lbs gone on MFP, about 10 more lbs gone before joining)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I've been dropping weight slowly and painlessly on low carb. Recently I cut out fruit and now I'm dropping weight quickly and painlessly! I will ask my strength trainer to do a fat/muscle ratio analysis soon. Any gym can do this for you. Just takes a second with the gizmo they all have. Anyway, I will be able to compare myself to last summer and last fall and see what it is that I am loosing. (49 lbs gone on MFP, about 10 more lbs gone before joining)

that gizmo is notoriously inaccurate…

if you want reliable results have a dexa scan or bod pod…

why did you cut fruit out of your diet????
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Um why???
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    According to my research ketosis (the state the body enters during low carb diets) burns almost solely body fat... and since i dont restrict calories i still maintain normal energy and function levels. Have you had different experiences?

You're burning more DIETARY fat.
    http://sigmanutrition.com/eat-more-fat-burn-more-fat-myth-magic-or-metabolic-advantage/
  • ndj1979
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

You're burning more DIETARY fat.
    http://sigmanutrition.com/eat-more-fat-burn-more-fat-myth-magic-or-metabolic-advantage/

good article…thanks for posting...
  • jennibean40
    Options
    A 500 calorie diet is totally unacceptable for me... haha! I enjoy food. Also doesnt such a radical restriction of calories force your body to burn muscle as well as fat? Kind of counterproductive...
  • jennibean40
    Options
    I maintain usually around 1000-1200 calories in my usual day. Combined with workout i lost 20lbs using this method.. in about 2 months.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    A 500 calorie diet is totally unacceptable for me... haha! I enjoy food. Also doesnt such a radical restriction of calories force your body to burn muscle as well as fat? Kind of counterproductive...

say what..??

500 calorie deficit is extreme??? that is one pound a week loss which is considered "normal weight loss"..

how do you think you lost weight on keto? The weight did not magically disappear. You were consuming less than you were burning - CICO = calories in vs calories out…

• eric_sg61
    Options
    I maintain usually around 1000-1200 calories in my usual day. Combined with workout i lost 20lbs using this method.. in about 2 months.
    So you're restricting calories then? Earlier you claimed you were not restricting.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

He said a 500 calorie "deficit." That means the number of calories you are eating below maintenance. So if maintenance for you is 2,000 calories per day, you'd have to eat 1,500 calories per day to have a 500 calorie deficit.

1,000 - 1,200 calories is not a lot of calories. You're losing weight because of that, not because you're eating low carb.
  • jennibean40
    Options
    No weight doesnt magically disappear obviously. Dont be arrogant. I have tried restricted calorie diets... and at most lost 2-3 lbs. Different diets work better for different people.. this one has worked for me
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    No weight doesnt magically disappear obviously. Dont be arrogant. I have tried restricted calorie diets... and at most lost 2-3 lbs. Different diets work better for different people.. this one has worked for me

You are indeed restricting calories.
  • eric_sg61
    Options

If you're only eating 1000-1200 calories a day then you're still following a restricted calorie diet.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Go here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

For some reason people have issues with anyone who isn't exactly like them.
  • ndj1979
    Options

if you are losing weight then you are restricting calories..

CICO applies to all….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Go here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

For some reason people have issues with anyone who isn't exactly like them.

so we should never comment when people post blatantly wrong things? Or is this no longer a public forum?
  • jennibean40
    Options
    Let me rephrase.. i dont keep track of calories. Any diet will restrict calories to some degree. If you go low carb.. you automatically cut out calorie high foods. So yes your calorie count goes down. But say i consume 1200 calories a day that include high carbs... my weight loss slows (practically stops) as compared to a 1200 calorie diet that is low in carbs and i lose .5-.6 lbs a day. The only difference is the carb count. Therefore the restriction of carbs is what helps the weight come off.