Options

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Go here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

For some reason people have issues with anyone who isn't exactly like them.

so we should never comment when people post blatantly wrong things? Or is this no longer a public forum?

My biggest fan again. I told her where to talk to other low carb people who can direct her to the best places to find the answers she needs. I didn't realize I was supposed to ask your permission first, your highness.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Let me rephrase.. i dont keep track of calories. Any diet will restrict calories to some degree. If you go low carb.. you automatically cut out calorie high foods. So yes your calorie count goes down. But say i consume 1200 calories a day that include high carbs... my weight loss slows (practically stops) as compared to a 1200 calorie diet that is low in carbs and i lose .5-.6 lbs a day. The only difference is the carb count. Therefore the restriction of carbs is what helps the weight come off.

ummm that is still restricting calories…

eliminating carbs just lets you restrict a whole food group ….

• ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Go here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

For some reason people have issues with anyone who isn't exactly like them.

so we should never comment when people post blatantly wrong things? Or is this no longer a public forum?

My biggest fan again. I told her where to talk to other low carb people who can direct her to the best places to find the answers she needs. I didn't realize I was supposed to ask your permission first, your highness.

you don't need to be my permission to do anything…

Your holier than though attitude is amusing though …

so keep on WK'ing the threads….its cute...
  • jennibean40
    jennibean40 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Im so glad low calorie dieting works for you dear. @ndj1979‌
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Let me rephrase.. i dont keep track of calories. Any diet will restrict calories to some degree. If you go low carb.. you automatically cut out calorie high foods. So yes your calorie count goes down. But say i consume 1200 calories a day that include high carbs... my weight loss slows (practically stops) as compared to a 1200 calorie diet that is low in carbs and i lose .5-.6 lbs a day. The only difference is the carb count. Therefore the restriction of carbs is what helps the weight come off.

The extra weight you lose in the beginning when you restrict carbs is water weight.

No matter the method you choose for restricting your calories (which is what you're doing), the long-term effects will be the same. The only difference, really, is that low-carb is very hard to maintain long term as opposed to eating a balanced diet in moderation.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Im so glad low calorie dieting works for you dear. @ndj1979‌

it works for everyone…

unless you are saying you live outside the laws of math and physics…?

• ndj1979
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    According to my research ketosis (the state the body enters during low carb diets) burns almost solely body fat... and since i dont restrict calories i still maintain normal energy and function levels. Have you had different experiences?

You're burning more DIETARY fat.
    http://sigmanutrition.com/eat-more-fat-burn-more-fat-myth-magic-or-metabolic-advantage/

^ op you really need to read this article…it explains the concept very well….
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I really don't want to come off as brainy or smart a** but I think that isn't necessarily true for all.

I know a woman who chose to eat mostly cheese and meats like ground beef that wasn't low on fat while on a low carb diet. This is extreme, as I don't expect many would do that, but as you could guess, it made her feel icky and didn't do anything for weight loss, as she lost some at first and gained it back when she began eating carbs again. The carbs aided in water loss. The meat and cheese was still pretty high in calories. Not that these foods are necessarily bad, but they both can be high calorie and low carb.
  • jennibean40
    Options
    Not at all.. i just know my results. And there are multiple studies, diets, and doctors who agree low carb diets can be more effective than low calorie diets. I could maintain my carb count and increase my calorie count.. and continue to lose weight at the level i have been. If you do some research you will find that the clean eating diets, while not marketed as low carb.. boast a MUCH lower carb count than a basic low calorie diet. It comes down to the foods you choose. Most carbs are bad for your body. Yes you need some carbs. This is known. And in response to "hard to maintain" i disagree... not any harder than a low calorie dieter who wants icecream. There is a vast array of foods you can eat and on a maintenance low carb diet you can still consume many regular foods. Ps every diet sheds water weight at first.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    But wouldn't low carb still imply low calorie? My point of the meat and cheese lady is that she didn't lose much because while she was eating low carb, she wasn't maintaining a good deficit because she was just eating all the meat and cheese she wanted, sometimes overeating, just because it's "low carb" and therefore would help her lose weight under a "low carb eating plan" and the food choice made her feel sick so it was unsustainable. As I have mentioned, I understand that her low carb choices were extreme, but I think that may speak a bit for other low carbers.

My mantra is why not eat the ice cream if it's what I want and I can still create a deficit by eating it? That's just my way of thinking.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Not at all.. i just know my results. And there are multiple studies, diets, and doctors who agree low carb diets can be more effective than low calorie diets. I could maintain my carb count and increase my calorie count.. and continue to lose weight at the level i have been. If you do some research you will find that the clean eating diets, while not marketed as low carb.. boast a MUCH lower carb count than a basic low calorie diet. It comes down to the foods you choose. Most carbs are bad for your body. Yes you need some carbs. This is known. And in response to "hard to maintain" i disagree... not any harder than a low calorie dieter who wants icecream. There is a vast array of foods you can eat and on a maintenance low carb diet you can still consume many regular foods. Ps every diet sheds water weight at first.

*facepalm*

so much wrong in this post…

if you are low carb then you are low calorie..the two are not mutually exclusive they are the SAME thing….

calories = energy so 100 calories of bagels = 100 calories of ground beef

please post peer reviewed studies show that carbs are 'bad for your body' in people with no medical condition ...
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    I could maintain my carb count and increase my calorie count.. and continue to lose weight at the level i have been.

Ok. So do this, then. Prove us all wrong. Figure out what your maintenance is and eat above that number for a month.

Update us and let us know if you lost weight at the same rate you're losing now. It will be like a little study.

Most carbs are bad for your body. Yes you need some carbs. This is known. .

This is known? By who? Taubes? Lolstig?

Can you back this up with refutable research?

• jennibean40
    Options
    Loe carb isnt just meat and cheese. Your friend obviously went the same route as mine.. thinking ANYTHING low carb was a good choice. Untrue. I consume veggies, dairy, and lean meats mostly. Eggs, and only drink water. As i said.. i know my results. I tried for three years after my first child to lose weight on restricted calorie diets. I always felt hungry. I was cranky. And i barely lost weight. On low carb i lost 20lbs in two months.. incliding cheay days and skipping workouts. I sincerely respect your point of views.. but there is evidence and studies to prove both diets can help with weight loss.. so kudos to you for yours and kudos to me for mine. This is however a forum i created for people ON low carb to share their experiences.. feel free to make a low calorie forum
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Loe carb isnt just meat and cheese. Your friend obviously went the same route as mine.. thinking ANYTHING low carb was a good choice. Untrue. I consume veggies, dairy, and lean meats mostly. Eggs, and only drink water. As i said.. i know my results. I tried for three years after my first child to lose weight on restricted calorie diets. I always felt hungry. I was cranky. And i barely lost weight. On low carb i lost 20lbs in two months.. incliding cheay days and skipping workouts. I sincerely respect your point of views.. but there is evidence and studies to prove both diets can help with weight loss.. so kudos to you for yours and kudos to me for mine. This is however a forum i created for people ON low carb to share their experiences.. feel free to make a low calorie forum

you keep referencing studies but you have posted none.

Please post these studies.

I am glad that you found a method that worked for you. However, all you did is create a calorie deficit through calorie restriction.

Actually, if you think about it, eliminating a whole food group is much more extreme then just lower your overall calorie intake and continuing to eat the foods you enjoy.
  • jennibean40
    Options
    www.m.webmd.com/diet/news/20140901/low-carb-beats-low-fat-for-weight-loss-heart-health-study
  • Tiabean86
    Tiabean86 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Keto which is high fat/medium protein/ very low carbs. I also strive for 70%F 25%P 5%C. Also saturated fats are not the enemy we once believed. There is so much research out there on this! Saturated fats help regulate hormonal systems and your mind (which is mostly made of fat lol). So a type II diabetic, celiacs suffer, PCOS having, with some clinical depression thrown in person like me really thrives on this diet. I have honestly never felt better, had better blood work, and have had my depression so stable in my entire adult life. I really find it miraculous for me! Also due to the high fat content I eat less naturally, I'm just not as hungry. Try it for a month and see how you're doing. I love it!
  • jennibean40
    Options
    So glad for your progress @Tiabean86‌ ! I definitely feel more energized on a low carb diet. Keep up the good work!
  • jennibean40
    Options
    www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/low-carbohydrate-diets
  • ndj1979
    Options
    www.m.webmd.com/diet/news/20140901/low-carb-beats-low-fat-for-weight-loss-heart-health-study

that is just a link to bunch of google sites..

I asked for the peer reviewed studies that you have read stating that a low carb diet is superior AND that a regular carb diet is "dangerous"
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

The article says this:
    People in both groups had counseling sessions with a dietitian: The low-fat group was told to get no more than 30 percent of their daily calories from fat, while the low-carbohydrate group was given a limit of 40 grams of carbohydrates per day. At the end of one year, the low-fat group averaged nearly 200 grams of carbohydrate daily compared to about 130 for the low-carb group, according to the study.

But there is no mention of what the calorie intake was. I can't find a link to the actual study, but this does not really mean anything without knowing actual calorie intake.

"Low-fat" has not been a respectable diet plan for a long time.