So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• horcruxno7
    Options
    Curt911 wrote: »
    @uhfgood, if you are interested in being able to eat more, I would suggest building some muscle mass as that allows your body to use more calories throughout the day. I am not a weightlifter but do have some weightlifting friends that have huge daily calorie requirements (one was 6,000 calories daily) to maintain. I am sure you can get some suggestions in the forums on how to go about starting that.

Thanks for this @Curt911‌. I'm trying to incorporate a little strength training into my schedule to be able lose weight more effectively while still eating whatever I like (I'm not that much of a junk food person; I like food, any kind of food), but I do have a lot of issue knowing where to start. I have tried training regimes quite a few times in the past, but could never follow them for more than two weeks. I usually stop the srrength training because I am very scared of muscle injury. Now again, I am following the Ultimate 30-day beginner course on bodybuilding.com, hoping it helps, but I am not entirely sure.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Uhfgood wrote: »
    There's no need to dump on the people that love to run and call them a clique or a club - the author of this thread, an amazing runner, has offered great advice for those that want to practice this...

...Becoming comfortable with yourself, breaking out of social anxiety (from your profile) might be your own goals, and running may be a tool in your arsenal to get there...

...Your current idea that it will take several months from where you are to really reach one mile leaves me wondering if it isn't your head getting in the way of your body

I didn't feel I was 'dumping' on anyone. Excuse me for feeling there's something wrong with me if I want to to jog for some reason other than running races.

I wasn't actually referring to the OP as it's been a long time since I've read the original post (yeah so I will need to read it again soon).

My jogging has nothing to do with my social anxiety -- so has no bearing on any goals I have...

As far as taking me several months, what I mean is I'm covering a mile partly jogging, partly walking, I'm taking it very slow, so that I can jog the whole mile without walking and without throwing up... So I increase the distance I jog and decrease the distance I walk, and my current amount of jogging is going to take me at least 3 weeks to get my lungs up to capacity. I'm fat, I've had asthma as a kid, cut me some slack. I want to take it easy so that I don't get burned out from going to hard at the start. (This is usually why I quit a lot of stuff having to do with exercising... wanting to do too much too fast and then burning out and then ultimately not doing anything).

There nothing wrong with you if you don't want to run races. That's in your head.

The speed you take the training at is fine, advance as you will. However, I've run and cycled with asthmatic, overweight individuals and my advice stands. It is possible to push further faster. The magic happens outside of your comfort zone. Same as dealing with social anxiety.

The opposite side of the coin of wanting to do too much too fast is not moving forward and also giving up, or spinning your wheels into being stuck at a specific level. But only you can know what works best for you, so I leave you to best evaluate how and when to improve and push yourself.

Best of luck.
  • Uhfgood
    Uhfgood Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I would probably only end up quitting, if I tried to 'push further faster' -- I burn out if I do too much, not only that when I go to fast when jogging it ends up being uncomfortable to breathe -- so I know my limits there.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I would probably only end up quitting, if I tried to 'push further faster' -- I burn out if I do too much, not only that when I go to fast when jogging it ends up being uncomfortable to breathe -- so I know my limits there.

There is a middle ground between shuffling through a mile and sprinting balls out until you puke. Pushing your limits - even a little bit - is where improvement is made. Getting out of your comfort zone - even a little bit - extends your comfort zone. If you stay comfortable and within your limits you're not going to make a whole lot of difference. Even if it's not about setting PRs or getting faster or becoming a great athlete the concepts and the practice are the same the difference is the degree. Progress is made outside your comfort zone.

And how many thousands of extra calories do you think you're burning with your nice easy mile? If the point of this for you is just to be able to eat more you're not doing anything yet that makes much difference.
  • TiffanyJole
    TiffanyJole Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome post! :)
  • ShellyAnn46
    ShellyAnn46 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »

There is a middle ground between shuffling through a mile and sprinting balls out until you puke. Pushing your limits - even a little bit - is where improvement is made. Getting out of your comfort zone - even a little bit - extends your comfort zone. If you stay comfortable and within your limits you're not going to make a whole lot of difference. Even if it's not about setting PRs or getting faster or becoming a great athlete the concepts and the practice are the same the difference is the degree. Progress is made outside your comfort zone.

And how many thousands of extra calories do you think you're burning with your nice easy mile? If the point of this for you is just to be able to eat more you're not doing anything yet that makes much difference.

I totally agree with you in everything you said, but keep in mind an overweight out of shape beginner (like myself) cannot "run an easy mile". I remember huffing and puffing "running" 2 minutes at 3.5 mph with a heart rate of 168, so pushing further and faster would have sent me puking. Even c25k proved impossible for me. I had to find a system that's even easier than that (and I did). I currently need to run at 5.5 mph to get my heart rate that high. Not impressive, but you do improve even if you're not pushing as fast as you would like.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

I totally agree with you in everything you said, but keep in mind an overweight out of shape beginner (like myself) cannot "run an easy mile". I remember huffing and puffing "running" 2 minutes at 3.5 mph with a heart rate of 168, so pushing further and faster would have sent me puking. Even c25k proved impossible for me. I had to find a system that's even easier than that (and I did). I currently need to run at 5.5 mph to get my heart rate that high. Not impressive, but you do improve even if you're not pushing as fast as you would like.

And I'd be willing to bet that you didn't improve without pushing outside your comfort zone. Even a little bit.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

And I'd be willing to bet that you didn't improve without pushing outside your comfort zone. Even a little bit.

Of course! I was out of my comfort zone since the beginning, hence barely making it through at 3.5 mph. I'm just saying this may be the case for that poster and there may be some kind of misunderstanding.
  • ashteinpeacock
    ashteinpeacock Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Love this post!! Very helpful!
  • sssgilber
    sssgilber Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't think Ufhgood was describing an easy mile. For him, and for me, that mile is enormous progress over our first walk to the end of the block and will eventually be a marker toward longer and faster runs.

The reminder to push our comfort zones is helpful, as is a reminder that comfort zones are self-determined.

If I write a post that I'm doing an easy mile blah blah blah, eating back those MFP-inflated calories blah blah blah, and why am I not losing weight blah blah blah, please bring on the judgment.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Reading all the replies on this thread is making me feel left out. Is there ANYONE doing this just so they can eat more? If you want to run 5k's and 10k's and full marathons, more power to ya. Honestly, I couldn't care less about running races. I want to be able to EAT. I'm tired of restricting my caloric intake to less than 1600 kcal.

Dear @Uhfgood,

My typical daily run adds 1,000 - 1,600 calories to my food budget. On weekends when I do a longer run It's could easily add over 3,000 calories. If you're wanting to run to eat more then you're going to need to get better at running to make it worth your while. Sure it's going to take work but if you stick with it you'll find that it gradually gets easier and easier.

Personally I do this more for entertainment and my health than anything. I haven't done a 5k in over 2 years. What was my motivation for starting? I got sick of getting winded on hiking trips. It's much easier to have fun outdoors if you're not huffing and puffing all the time.

This morning I ran to work (4.5 miles). We had a winter storm last night that dumped tons of snow and the roads are terrible. Instead of staying home I put on some comfortable clothes and did a casual easy run into work. I even stopped and took some pictures and enjoyed what a beautiful day it was outside.

Hf9KbiT.jpg

This was easy. So so very easy for me physically. THIS is why I enjoy running and challenging myself. I enjoy doing things outdoors and now when I do them I never question if I can do it. Hiking trips without planning? Sure. Let's do it.

J9M0COc.jpg

Running is about more than races or eating. It does mean however that you can eat more food. That's just a byproduct of being outside and having fun. Turn your thoughts upside down and think about it the other way. You eat for fuel to do the things you love to do. You don't do things just so you can eat. Eating is mostly boring. Unless there's good beer of course. Then it's lots of fun.

I don't like to be hard on people that are just starting running but stop whining and push yourself a little. Slowly but surely you'll find that it's not so bad and heck you might even like it. If you work hard at it in a couple years you can be in my position and you'll sort of get sick of how much you NEED to eat because of what you're doing. Some days I do feel that way.
  • Uhfgood
    Options
    sssgilber wrote: »
    I don't think Ufhgood was describing an easy mile. For him, and for me, that mile is enormous progress over our first walk to the end of the block and will eventually be a marker toward longer and faster runs.

The reminder to push our comfort zones is helpful, as is a reminder that comfort zones are self-determined.

If I write a post that I'm doing an easy mile blah blah blah, eating back those MFP-inflated calories blah blah blah, and why am I not losing weight blah blah blah, please bring on the judgment.

This^^

Also keep in mind my goal is to be able to jog the whole mile without walking, and I've got probably 2-3 lengths (as I judge lengths) before I'm able to do that.

As far as being uncomfortable, I was going to say almost I've ran so hard that it hurts a bit to breathe -- But I didn't want to freak anyone out in thinking it's some medical problem, I know my body, and when it comes to feeling like that, I know that I hit my limit. Eventually when I'm jogging the whole way (not walking any of it), that I'll be able to start running harder without any pain. It's not pain exactly it's more like pressure. You know when they say when following an exercise regimen that if it hurts stop, well it's sort of like that. (I don't think there's any medical trouble, which is why I hesitated to call it pain.)

• Uhfgood
    edited March 2015
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Dear @Uhfgood,

My typical daily run adds 1,000 - 1,600 calories to my food budget. On weekends when I do a longer run It's could easily add over 3,000 calories. If you're wanting to run to eat more then you're going to need to get better at running to make it worth your while. Sure it's going to take work but if you stick with it you'll find that it gradually gets easier and easier.

Personally I do this more for entertainment and my health than anything. I haven't done a 5k in over 2 years. What was my motivation for starting? I got sick of getting winded on hiking trips. It's much easier to have fun outdoors if you're not huffing and puffing all the time.

This morning I ran to work (4.5 miles). We had a winter storm last night that dumped tons of snow and the roads are terrible. Instead of staying home I put on some comfortable clothes and did a casual easy run into work. I even stopped and took some pictures and enjoyed what a beautiful day it was outside.

(snow covered road image removed from quote out of courtesy)

This was easy. So so very easy for me physically. THIS is why I enjoy running and challenging myself. I enjoy doing things outdoors and now when I do them I never question if I can do it. Hiking trips without planning? Sure. Let's do it.

(image of hiker removed out of courtesy)

Running is about more than races or eating. It does mean however that you can eat more food. That's just a byproduct of being outside and having fun. Turn your thoughts upside down and think about it the other way. You eat for fuel to do the things you love to do. You don't do things just so you can eat. Eating is mostly boring. Unless there's good beer of course. Then it's lots of fun.

I don't like to be hard on people that are just starting running but stop whining and push yourself a little. Slowly but surely you'll find that it's not so bad and heck you might even like it. If you work hard at it in a couple years you can be in my position and you'll sort of get sick of how much you NEED to eat because of what you're doing. Some days I do feel that way.

That snow covered road is beautiful, I hope you don't mind I'm using it as my current windows desktop wallpaper.

I understand, I did admit my post sounded whiny after I reread it later. Anyhoo, I am pushing myself a bit, a year ago I wouldn't even dream of being able to jog half-a-mile (although I did do a lot of walking over the years), and now I'm doing that... and soon I will be doing a mile. Then I'll either add another lap (1/2 mile) or speed up my current mile. Haven't decided whether or not to add a lap or speed up yet.

Okay I get it when I finally get there I probably won't care about the eating that much. I do know that I don't get to eat as much as I want to though, because I'm trying to lose weight by counting calories. I want to get to a point where I'm not counting anymore because I burn enough off.

When I was a teen I used to drink a coke and eat mothers animal cookies (the kind with the frost coating and sprinkles) at school for lunch, and then sometimes on weekends I'd go to my local convenience store and have hostess powdered "donettes" (mini doughnuts) with a doctor pepper, or maybe a back of cheetos cheese puffs and a coke, and not be worried. I'd like to be able to do that again to some extent. Not worry that I'm having coke and a bag of chips one afternoon that it will spoil the amount of food I can eat. Not so much wanting to stuff my face with junk food, just not worried about it.

Maybe when I get there I won't care about the food anymore, but until then that's my goal.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    @uhfgood This might be a good read along the conversation of discomfort and managing it and how our mental state (from happiness to depression to anxiety) affect that. We all modulate our sense of discomfort by emotional factors.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/prefrontal-nudity/201302/embracing-pain

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Dear @Uhfgood,

(snow covered road image removed from quote out of courtesy)

(image of hiker removed out of courtesy)

That snow covered road is beautiful, I hope you don't mind I'm using it as my current windows desktop wallpaper.

I understand, I did admit my post sounded whiny after I reread it later. Anyhoo, I am pushing myself a bit, a year ago I wouldn't even dream of being able to jog half-a-mile (although I did do a lot of walking over the years), and now I'm doing that... and soon I will be doing a mile. Then I'll either add another lap (1/2 mile) or speed up my current mile. Haven't decided whether or not to add a lap or speed up yet.

Okay I get it when I finally get there I probably won't care about the eating that much. I do know that I don't get to eat as much as I want to though, because I'm trying to lose weight by counting calories. I want to get to a point where I'm not counting anymore because I burn enough off.

When I was a teen I used to drink a coke and eat mothers animal cookies (the kind with the frost coating and sprinkles) at school for lunch, and then sometimes on weekends I'd go to my local convenience store and have hostess powdered "donettes" (mini doughnuts) with a doctor pepper, or maybe a back of cheetos cheese puffs and a coke, and not be worried. I'd like to be able to do that again to some extent. Not worry that I'm having coke and a bag of chips one afternoon that it will spoil the amount of food I can eat. Not so much wanting to stuff my face with junk food, just not worried about it.

Maybe when I get there I won't care about the food anymore, but until then that's my goal.

Whatever the motivation just keep doing it. Consistency is the key here. I used to run a couple miles on the treadmill just to burn a few calories (for more food) but once I finally went outside.... Yeah, I hated it. It was hard. First time I ran 3 miles I had to take ibuprofen for a week because my knees hurt. I've had to take months off because of an achilles irritation. Just don't quit. Each day you get out there and do something just a bit out of your comfort zone you're changing what your comfort zone is.

Persistence is the key to nearly anything. I don't always FEEL like running in the morning but I do it anyway and I never regret doing it when I'm done. I've only ever had regret that I didn't do it. So just stick with it. Just think, that walk/run for a mile is probably worth a bagel or something yummy.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I started running about two years ago, for much the same reason you described in your initial post. Running meant I could eat enough that I felt full, whilst getting enough of a deficit to lose weight. I was about 200lbs when I started.

Once I'd finished the Couch to 5K plan and was working on consolidating that I came to realise that I wasn't really worried so much about the weight any more, but I was doing something that I enjoyed, and it helped me a lot.

Yes, I run long distance races. I did two last year, and I've got five planned this year. But it's not the races that motivate me, they're something to give my running a bit of structure, and to benchmark my performance. I'm 44, I came late to running so I'm unlikely to be picking up any winners medals. I'm racing myself.

Long distance running challenges me, it gives me something to aim for every time I'm out. I'm a programme manager by profession and I have a plan to follow. Running vies me time to myself, so after a long day in the office or in commercial negotiations I can find some solitude and quiet time to myself. It helps me recharge. I also suffer from chronic depression, and running helps me with that as well.

It's not about the racing for many people, unless you're doing frequent races that wouldn't be enough to keep the motivation going. I was out last Saturday night, it was cold, windy and rainy and I was running in a muddy forest, using a head-torch to find my route. The fact that I', 8 weeks into my plan wasn't what got me out there. The fact that it was something to achieve did.

If running works for you, then do it. If it doesn't, and it's merely a means to an end then I'd suggest looking for something else that gives you the intangibles that it needs to keep going with it.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in... this has been an interesting discussion.

So many people do not start out wanting to race, but humans are humans, and a lot of people work better with goals - so usually people will sign up for a 5k as motivation. Then, along the way, lots of people find they like running. Maybe they go on to 10ks, halfs, and some feel the pull of the marathon, while others don't. Usually runners will try a variety of distances and settle on what they like. Personally, I hate 5 and 10ks. They aren't fun for me. They are over too quickly and nearly the whole race is spent in battery-acid-for-blood agony. Plus I wouldn't even burn enough calories to have a decent beer and rich dinner. I'd much rather run 50k than 5k. But, they are cheaper, their training takes less time, and they are easier on your body than running marathons, so I can see the appeal.

Is it a club? Well kinda. We do have our own lingo and we will nerd out while all together, but that is true of any group of people who share a common interest. Plus, runners of all levels go through the same feelings. A marathon is just as difficult for someone running sub-3 as it is for someone trying to break 5. Someone running mile repeats at a 10 minute pace wants to throw up after #4, just like someone running them at a 6 minute pace. And generally, runners are an incredibly inclusive group. Hell, this whole post was pretty much a manual on how to join the club. We want you here. Come to the dark side.

Now, about getting out of your comfort zone - It has to happen. Part of it will hurt. Its supposed to hurt. It needs to hurt. Pretty much all of us started from sedentary. Of COURSE its going to hurt somewhat if you call on muscles that have been allowed to languish in inactivity. The alternative to it hurting is to stay that same, and homie don't play that. So you have to make up your mind from the beginning - either you are going to get up and run that lap/mile/to that next lamppost, or everything will stay the same.

And the beautiful thing is that somewhere along the way, you look back and realize the pain is now in running 3 miles instead of one, or 10 instead of 5, or 50 instead of 26.2. When someone says that most of running is mental - they are not joking. As soon as you let your brain start the refrain that "you can't do it, its too hard, you're too out of shape", you're on your way to losing. Instead, I will counter with "just one foot in front of the other" "you can do this" "just another few steps" "just a few more minutes". My workouts, in my head, are as non-negotiable as paying bills or going to work (its just work i enjoy). If it says I run 8 miles on the schedule, at a certain pace, then by god that is what I am doing that day. 24 miles? Strap on the pack, we're in it for the long haul. That way, there is less chance of my brain asking me to bail out.

And I have found that what I thought were limits were really just my brain being a little b*tch about it. I used to fret over marathons. I blew by what I thought my 'best possible time" could ever be and haven't looked back. In February I ran 2 ultras. I will hit my limits someday, but I haven't yet.
  • sssgilber
    sssgilber Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    @uhfgood This might be a good read along the conversation of discomfort and managing it and how our mental state (from happiness to depression to anxiety) affect that. We all modulate our sense of discomfort by emotional factors.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/prefrontal-nudity/201302/embracing-pain

Great article! Good context for the mental struggle toward fitness and a relief to know others have the same struggle. Thanks for posting the link.
  • Rafase282
    Rafase282 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I haven't been running for a while but I remember i used to have pain on the shin and a sharp pain one one of my lower sides. I haven't been running much lately because of the snow and cold but after reading the first post and looking st some photos I feel like running again.

Also I like light running shoes and running on the grass more than the track.