Moderation vs Clean Eating

Options
are you more successful with your weight loss when eating foods in moderation or eating strictly healthy foods?
moderation in this case meaning eating whatever you'd like as long as it's within your calorie goal. following serving sizes. weighing your food.
clean eating meaning eating only healthy foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean meats, organic products, etc

Replies

• berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I am more successful with moderation, although I do try to eat a lot of healthy foods too. I find that if I cut out all junk food (for lack of a better term) I cannot sustain it, and I end up binging and screwing up all my previous hard work. It's better for me if I go ahead and eat pizza or candy every now and then, and just watch my overall calorie intake.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Moderation. But that's not saying I eat nothing but sugar and chips all day.

Breakfast: egg white/turkey sausage burrito, a banana, and Greek yogurt
    Lunch: turkey and provolone on whole grain bread with a bit of honey mustard, and grape tomatoes
    Dinner: not sure yet, but it's probably going to be Taco Bell. And then chocolate.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - maybe you should search topics before digging this up again ....there are about a million topics on this...
    -
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    FYI, most people who practice moderation eat primarily nutritious foods...they're just not afraid to have some desert or a slice or two of pizza every once in awhile.

"Clean" is a very ambiguous term and has about a zillion different meanings depending on the individual.

Do yourself a favor and just eat a well balanced and varied diet that is rich in whole food nutrition...and have some ice cream once in awhile.

This. Even eating "clean" at its strictest definition you can eat too much and gain weight. Might be harder since whole foods tend to fill you up faster, but it is still very possible. Other benefits of eating healthier/whole/organic foods range from less chemicals and hormones to better moods and more energy.

A lot of healthy active people I know (including myself) find a balance in eating a good 80% of their food as whole and nutritious but allowing for the occasional desert, eating out, couple glasses of wine, etc.

You can lose weight eating anything you want as long as you burn more than you eat. However....living on nothing but sugar and grease will catch up to most people eventually.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I track my calories and eat a variety of foods. So if that's what you are using for "moderation", that's what I do. I'll have two slices of thin crust pizza tonight, a weekly ritual. This week also I've had a variety of home cooked meals that would do any clean eater proud.

The slippery slope of "clean eating" is demonising certain foods or even entire food groups/macros (i.e. carbs). It then becomes much harder to get the variety of foods the dieter needs to stay healthy while losing weight.

Not to mention that clean eating all by itself won't guarantee weight loss. Unless it's from the exercise running from store to store trying to find something clean enough to eat.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    +1 to wolfman. I just eat a healthier and more nutritious balanced diet. I dont restrict, but I choose to moderate the high calorie foods I used to eat and just eat more fruit, veg, complex carbs and lean protein. Still have chocolate and chips though.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    FYI, most people who practice moderation eat primarily nutritious foods...they're just not afraid to have some desert or a slice or two of pizza every once in awhile.

"Clean" is a very ambiguous term and has about a zillion different meanings depending on the individual.

Do yourself a favor and just eat a well balanced and varied diet that is rich in whole food nutrition...and have some ice cream once in awhile.

What he said.

Also, just IN. These threads never end well. Too soon for gifs yet?

• agratzy
    agratzy Posts: 114 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As per your definitions, I lean towards Moderation. Simply because eating "clean," I find, is more difficult when you have a fast paced lifestyle. It can be managed of course- I just don't take the time to plan everything out, so I often find myself at Taco John's and just ordering things that fit in my calorie count.

I am losing weight slowly but consistently this way.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Isn't there another thread currently going on on this precise topic?
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Moderation.
    A plan that can last a lifetime. Works for me...........so far.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    That's not an either or question. If you eat 80 calories of strawberries instead of 160, you're still moderating.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    are you more successful with your weight loss when eating foods in moderation or eating strictly healthy foods?
    moderation in this case meaning eating whatever you'd like as long as it's within your calorie goal. following serving sizes. weighing your food.
    clean eating meaning eating only healthy foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean meats, organic products, etc

moderation :) I love me some ice cream
  • lemurcat12
    Options

This is not what I understand "moderation" to mean. In my understanding, "moderation" means including whatever foods you want (to the extent they fit your calories) after nutritional considerations are met, such as getting enough healthy fats and protein, fiber, carbs for your level of activity/what makes you feel good, micros, etc. In other words, focusing on having an overall healthy, balanced diet, but also recognizing that food can be about pleasure and enjoyment and not simply nutrition. I'd include as part of this approach making sure that even the nutrient-dense base of your diet is as tasty and enjoyable as possible and ideally as crave-worthy as the more calorie-dense or lower nutrient foods that are eaten primarily for the taste element.

This is how I like to think of food and what works for me, and I consider it moderation.

I don't think this is what "clean" eating means either. I think it has something to do with processed vs. unprocessed, but many unquestionably processed foods (like skinless boneless chicken breast or skim milk or frozen foods) are just as healthy as their less processed equivalents, and one could certainly make an argument for the merits of other processed foods like kimchi or vinegars or even protein bars and powders, pasta, bread, etc.

But I don't find that all or nothing approaches work for me, or dividing foods into "good" and "bad" or even "healthy" or "unhealthy." Whether a food is the best one to eat at a particular time depends on overall context (i.e., overall diet)--I just finished a biking trip and in that context ate more snack like things and dried fruit and the like (even including the occasional Clif bar) than I normally would, for, I think, health-related reasons, as one needed to fuel long bike rides. Also, I think it's normal for humans to enjoy good foods and wrong to convince yourself that there's something wrong or disgusting or bad about liking a piece of pie. Nor is it remotely true that a diet that contains no pie is healthier than one that includes the occasional piece, assuming both also include a good balance of nutrient-dense foods. That's the problem with the "clean" approach (as well as simply incoherence) IMO.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

^^ QFT

For me personally, I can not completely eliminate a food from my diet because that is what I'm going to want to eat all the time. If I want something, I just figure out how I am going to make it work in my food diary. I eat on point probably 90% of the time, but still find a way to enjoy what some would consider "junk" food from time to time.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Yes, this. I eat in moderation. I eat healthy, home-cooked meals the majority of the time but occasionally I'll have an ice-cream, or my husband will make pancakes, or I'll bake a cake/cookies (is a homemade cake considered 'clean'??).
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    That's not an either or question. If you eat 80 calories of strawberries instead of 160, you're still moderating.

Exactly. "Moderation" vs. "Clean Eating" is a false dichotomy. Yes, I'm ignoring the glaring problem of lack of definition for "clean." My position still holds.

ETA: Oops, and OP, eating the portion size a label suggests isn't what moderation means. If it is, I'm quitting, as I like to eat an entire bag of veggies (serves 4) for my lunch. And two servings of chili, but maybe only 1/2 cup of milk. And I don't have to weigh things if I don't want to (and neither does anyone else).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    (is a homemade cake considered 'clean'??).

I've always assumed no, at least not if it contains flour and sugar. But it is confusing!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I've always assumed no, at least not if it contains flour and sugar. But it is confusing!

depends on what variant of clean you are doing ...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I started a list once of all the definitions of clean eating that we've seen on the boards. By some you can get away with homemade cake and by others it's a definite no-no.

If you're curious, they include:
    Nothing but minimally processed foods.
    Absolutely no processed foods.
    Shop only the outside of the grocery store.
    Nothing out of a box, jar, or can.
    Only food that's not in a box or hermetically sealed bag, or from e.g. McDonald's.
    Nothing at all with a barcode.
    Nothing with more than 5 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 4 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 3 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 1 ingredient.
    No added preservatives.
    No added chemicals.
    No chemicals, preservatives, etc. at all.
    No ingredients that you can't pronounce.
    No ingredients that sound like they came out of a chemistry book.
    Don't eat products that have a TV commercial.
    Don't eat products that have a longer shelf life than you do.
    No added sugar.
    No added refined sugar.
    Swap white sugar for brown.
    No "white" foods.
    Nothing but lean meats, fruits, and vegetables.
    Only meat from grass-fed animals and free-range chickens.
    Only pesticide-free foods.