Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    Don't you still have to eat in moderation if your trying to eat clean?

I would say yes, but several people have told me on here that if you eat clean (according to their definition), it doesn't matter how much you eat.

From what I understand, WW is pushing that, and made all produce an AYCE category.

Whoever created that guideline has never seen what happens when I am in the same room with fresh pineapple. I could easily eat 2,000 calories of pineapple in a sitting.

Ages ago in the confessions thread, someone mentioned a new UK dieting competition show, so I looked it up. In one episode, there was a guy who was already vegetarian, and decided instead of counting calories, he'd just be "better" about what he was eating. About half way through, the doctor running the show had a sit down with him to explain that he'd been eating 4000 calories a day, and about half of that was from bananas alone. He was basically eating vegetarian Indian takeout, beans and toast, oranges and bananas for his entire diet.

How did he find time to eat while living in the bathroom? I mean, he had to have been eating that much fruit.

DANG.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I would say yes, but several people have told me on here that if you eat clean (according to their definition), it doesn't matter how much you eat.

From what I understand, WW is pushing that, and made all produce an AYCE category.

Whoever created that guideline has never seen what happens when I am in the same room with fresh pineapple. I could easily eat 2,000 calories of pineapple in a sitting.

Ages ago in the confessions thread, someone mentioned a new UK dieting competition show, so I looked it up. In one episode, there was a guy who was already vegetarian, and decided instead of counting calories, he'd just be "better" about what he was eating. About half way through, the doctor running the show had a sit down with him to explain that he'd been eating 4000 calories a day, and about half of that was from bananas alone. He was basically eating vegetarian Indian takeout, beans and toast, oranges and bananas for his entire diet.

Oh, that poor guy! It's one reason why I get frustrated when I see people in the vegan/vegetarian community (I'm vegan myself) tell others that it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you avoid animal products/meat. No, we've still got tons of delicious and calories dense foods!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - maybe you should search topics before digging this up again ....there are about a million topics on this...
    -

Be careful OP, the board police are out in full force today.
    OP - maybe you should search topics before digging this up again ....there are about a million topics on this...
    -

nope, just letting OP now that the answer to her question may already be out there..

honestly, the answer is neither...

calorie deficit is what makes you successful ....everything else is just a tool to get there..

so if one enjoys torturing themselves into believing that they have to restrict X Y Z "bad" foods then go for it...

nope, sounded to me as if you were trying to tell her she shouldn't post her question or start a thread if she hasn't read the other million ones out there.
    Doesn't that make sense, though?!

Check facts before you ask?!

Anger.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    WW is Weight Watchers. I have no idea what AYCE is, or a bunch of other acronyms used on here for that matter :(

"All You Can Eat."

Ah....thanks! I'm going to start making a list for reference.

There's already a thread with a list of acronyms. You could, you know, search for it. ;)

edited because acronyms is plural

Thank you I will!
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    FYI, most people who practice moderation eat primarily nutritious foods...they're just not afraid to have some desert or a slice or two of pizza every once in awhile.

"Clean" is a very ambiguous term and has about a zillion different meanings depending on the individual.

Do yourself a favor and just eat a well balanced and varied diet that is rich in whole food nutrition...and have some ice cream once in awhile.

What he said.

Also, just IN. These threads never end well. Too soon for gifs yet?

It's never too soon. Also, judging by some of the hostility on this thread, it could use a few gifs.

Twerking Stormtroopers, anyone?

101198-stormtrooper-twerk-gif-dancing-fjVF.gif

And to keep it on track, OP, I do the "moderation" thing. Basically I follow whatever allows me to still drink wine and eat my body weight in bacon while getting in the appropriate macro and micro needs.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    "Clean" eating is good in that it's more nutritious; you're going to get more micro-nutrients. Clean eating is also good in that the foods tend to be high nutrient/ low calorie whereas "dirty?" foods are the opposite with low nutrient/high calories. Because "clean" foods are low calorie, you can eat more of them, and it's volume that makes you feel full, not caloric content.

Some people take it too far and think that if you eat clean you don't have to watch calories. Not true. A calorie surplus makes you gain weight, no matter what kind of foods you eat.

So the simple answer is "moderation." I try to eat mostly unprocessed foods, but I also eat anything I want, provided that I can fit it into my daily calorie and macro goals.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    "Clean" eating is good in that it's more nutritious; you're going to get more micro-nutrients. Clean eating is also good in that the foods tend to be high nutrient/ low calorie whereas "dirty?" foods are the opposite with low nutrient/high calories. Because "clean" foods are low calorie, you can eat more of them, and it's volume that makes you feel full, not caloric content.

Some people take it too far and think that if you eat clean you don't have to watch calories. Not true. A calorie surplus makes you gain weight, no matter what kind of foods you eat.

So the simple answer is "moderation." I try to eat mostly unprocessed foods, but I also eat anything I want, provided that I can fit it into my daily calorie and macro goals.

So in addition to the giant list posted above, we have yet another definition of "clean" food: it is also low calorie. So calorie-dense foods aren't "clean"?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    So if we assume that an average banana has about 105 calories (according to Google), and 2000 divided by 105 is about 19... then that dude was eating 19 bananas a day! OMG. I would throw up. That's crazy!
  • JSurita2
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    -

-

nope, just letting OP now that the answer to her question may already be out there..

honestly, the answer is neither...

calorie deficit is what makes you successful ....everything else is just a tool to get there..

so if one enjoys torturing themselves into believing that they have to restrict X Y Z "bad" foods then go for it...

nope, sounded to me as if you were trying to tell her she shouldn't post her question or start a thread if she hasn't read the other million ones out there.
    Doesn't that make sense, though?!

Check facts before you ask?!

Anger.

We have moved past this already. If you read the thread first perhaps you'd have noticed. That makes sense also.

No anger.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    . Because "clean" foods are low calorie, you can eat more of them, and it's volume that makes you feel full, not caloric content.

This is the only thing I disagree with you on. "clean" foods aren't always low calorie where "dirty" foods are not always high calorie. I can have a serving of oreos for 140 calories where a serving of cashews is 170. Neither one will really keep me full lol.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

How did he find time to eat while living in the bathroom? I mean, he had to have been eating that much fruit.

DANG.

I can only assume he was used to it? He ran a doggy daycare/salon, so I guess he really could run in there whenever he had to, the dogs don't care.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

Volume and, often, macro ratios
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

I ate an entire pineapple when I was overdue with my 2nd child. It made my tongue hurt! And she was still 12 days overdue!
  • JPW1990
    Options
    These pineapple binges are giving me sympathy heartburn
  • deannaxsmithx
    deannaxsmithx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for your input.
    I am new to this app and I just found the search feature today lol
    I apologize if I offended anyone. by moderation I didn't mean eating fast food and drinking soda everyday.
    I don't like the labels "clean" and "junk" either but a lot of people outside of MFP use those terms often. I was unaware that labeling food could offend anyone, so I apologize
    I was also unaware that there are multiple threads about this topic. I didn't feel like scrolling through the boards trying to find something relating to my question, so I decided to post my own thread. again I apologize if this offends anyone, I'll be sure to use the search feature more often
  • JSurita2
    Options
    I apologize if I offended anyone. by moderation I didn't mean eating fast food and drinking soda everyday.
    I don't like the labels "clean" and "junk" either but a lot of people outside of MFP use those terms often. I was unaware that labeling food could offend anyone, so I apologize
    I was also unaware that there are multiple threads about this topic. I didn't feel like scrolling through the boards trying to find something relating to my question, so I decided to post my own thread. again I apologize if this offends anyone, I'll be sure to use the search feature more often

Use the search feature if you'd like or post your own thread. There are always helpful people out there that don't mind answering your questions even if they've snorted the "dead horse powder". Use the good information and weed out the rest. Good luck to you.
  • SconnieCat
    Options

Welcome to the boards :) You'll find that on any given topic, while the majority of people are supportive, you'll always have those sassypants bossyfaces who can be a bit snippy. Myself included :)

I don't think the intention is to ever insult or malign, rather, to give some advice. The delivery isn't always the best, but typically people come from a good place.

A few things that can get people's panties in a bunch:
    the term "cleanse"
    the term "detox"
    "Clean Eating" (as you recently discovered)
    "1200 calorie diets"
    Any specific diet that removes an entire food group (unless for medical purposes)

I'm sure there are some I've missed, but I'm still laughing over the photo wolfman posted. Other people can feel free to add to my list or tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about.

200.gif
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. People have strong opinions.

There is so much drivel out there around the "diet industry" because it's so lucrative but you have to make up your own gimmick in order to make the money. Also journos are lazy and need to fill space so they print and reprint garbage

A lot of people here have only become successful because they threw away the noise and gimmicks and focused on calories and macros. And every day there are hundreds of threads about the gimmicks and people firmly believe them without any scientific grounds

So people get funny and have a laugh rather than taking everything seriously ...and then they post animal gifs

You'll get used to it :grinning:
  • JPW1990
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »

Welcome to the boards :) You'll find that on any given topic, while the majority of people are supportive, you'll always have those sassypants bossyfaces who can be a bit snippy. Myself included :)

I don't think the intention is to ever insult or malign, rather, to give some advice. The delivery isn't always the best, but typically people come from a good place.

the term "cleanse"
    the term "detox"
    "1200 calorie diets"
    Any specific diet that removes an entire food group (unless for medical purposes)

I'm sure there are some I've missed, but I'm still laughing over the photo wolfman posted. Other people can feel free to add to my list or tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about.

200.gif

And sugar. Don't say the word sugar unless you use the word diabetic within a dozen words of it :D
  • SconnieCat
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »

the term "cleanse"
    the term "detox"
    "1200 calorie diets"

200.gif

And sugar. Don't say the word sugar unless you use the word diabetic within a dozen words of it :D

Oooooo! Sugar! And Added Sugars!

i.e. "I'm trying to limit sugar. It's the only way I can do this as I'm completely, and totally addicted to sugar. Especially added sugars. Halpz"