My 600 Pound Life?

Options

Replies

• Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Have ya'll noticed that a lot of these women are blaming their weight on prior sexual assult/sexual abuse/child molestation?

I get a little irratated when I hear that because (sadly) I know victims of these awful things and none of them weigh 650 pounds...I feel like they're using it as an excuse and I find it offensive.

You really need to educate yourself on this matter.....I am not saying that to be rude, I am being dead serious....
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Have ya'll noticed that a lot of these women are blaming their weight on prior sexual assult/sexual abuse/child molestation?

I get a little irratated when I hear that because (sadly) I know victims of these awful things and none of them weigh 650 pounds...I feel like they're using it as an excuse and I find it offensive.

So none of your friends who have been abused have any emotional or behavioral issues as a consequence? That's pretty amazing to me.

I know, right? What were the odds.

I was just noticing that there are plenty of Intervention reruns on as well...

Oh my God, now that one I can't even watch. At all. It's 99.9% pain, suffering, screaming, messed family dynamics, children sobbing and begging their parents to come back to them and not to die and graphic visuals of shooting up...and .1% of "Okay. I'll do it. For you," 13 seconds of "I've been clean now since I've been in the center and feel GREAT!" and then a four-second written blurb of "Mark stayed sober for six months. He has since relapsed."
    That show makes ME want to shoot up.

Internvention is just too heartbreaking for me to wrap my head around. I remember one episode a few years back about this young woman addicted to meth...she wrote all these crazy things on the walls of her apartment. If I recall correctly, she was a stripper and used the money to purchase meth. The poor kid was a total wreck.

I'd love a happy ending for these people, but like you mentioned, most don't stay sober.

Watching them shoot up is just so...I can't even describe it. I always wonder how the crew feels while filming someone shoot heroine.

I knew a few guys when I was younger who got hooked on heroine. Two ended up dead (one of HIV the other from an overdose) and another has been spending the past 20 years in and out of prison.

I tell my kids (both are 18) that you really don't get to come back from heroine.

I apologize for my ignorant comment regarding rape and obesity. I'm just going by the few women I know. They most likely turned out ok because they got counseling early on.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

So none of your friends who have been abused have any emotional or behavioral issues as a consequence? That's pretty amazing to me.

Oh my God, now that one I can't even watch. At all. It's 99.9% pain, suffering, screaming, messed family dynamics, children sobbing and begging their parents to come back to them and not to die and graphic visuals of shooting up...and .1% of "Okay. I'll do it. For you," 13 seconds of "I've been clean now since I've been in the center and feel GREAT!" and then a four-second written blurb of "Mark stayed sober for six months. He has since relapsed."

ROFL that is so true...it's like 59 minutes of horrible for that one second where they break down and agree to go to rehab.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Ameengyrl wrote: »
    Intervention and 600 lb life are mirrors of each other. Nobody would ever say those on inhervention are using their sexual abuse as an excuse yet 80% of those folks have abuse history. That type of obesity is not the result of just shear laziness alone. It is not.

I noticed that Comcast has a bunch of seasons of Intervention on demand now, and I've been watching them while I'm off work sick. One I watched yesterday had 2 sisters who were molested as children. One grew up to be a heroin addict, and the other grew up to be morbidly obese. Both still had serious psychological issues due to the molestation. I doubt it's a coincidence.

And yet many people would say that one is a lazy slob full of excuses while the other is...a heroin addict.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ameengyrl wrote: »
    Intervention and 600 lb life are mirrors of each other. Nobody would ever say those on inhervention are using their sexual abuse as an excuse yet 80% of those folks have abuse history. That type of obesity is not the result of just shear laziness alone. It is not.

Thank you. I was very disturbed by the post above which seemed to discount the severity and consequences of sexual abuse.

I was sexually abused at the age of 11. That is when I started sneaking food, lots of it. It didn't become a lifetime thing (I stopped when he stopped), so I never had a weight problem until I was in my early 30s and took anti-depressants, but I can see how it could for some people. Also, I doubt I would have taken anti-depressants if I had not been sexually abused. Plus, after getting fat there were times I would start to lose but then a man would make a sexual comment which would freak me out so much I'd start to overeating again. So I can see where some people who have been abused want to get and stay fat in an effort to hide. (Two of the morbidly obese women I know who were sexually abused have expressed this very sentiment. Being big made them feel physically powerful and also shielded from sexual attention.)

I was in group counseling for several years for the sexual abuse. Most of the women in my group were either obese or former drug addicts/alcoholics. No one was 600 pounds, but that is certainly on the continuum.

Over-eating can be a way of coping, just as drinking or using drugs can be.
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I watch a lot of TLC shows (my mom watches that channel a lot so it's just on a lot in our house). My 600lb life makes me kind of sad, because of how so many of the people have gotten to that point, despite a loving support system. There's no reason for it in most of the cases. On the flip side I also watch my Big Fat Fabulous life and it makes me sad for other reasons. Her story in general doesn't, because she owns her situation, and she is such a positive role model for bigger girls, but because she is not lazy, she tries so hard, and works out so much and it just makes you realize that looking at a fat person isn't always as it appears. So many people judge us because we are fat without knowing our circumstances, and I watch her and know exactly how she feels. It's really hard to be positive and live life with eyes on you in disgust because they think they know. I applaud the bravery of the people on those shows, just as I applaud the bravery of everyone who puts themselves out there on this website. It's hard, and remember only he who is without sin can cast the first stone.
  • lemon629
    edited March 2015
    Options

Internvention is just too heartbreaking for me to wrap my head around. I remember one episode a few years back about this young woman addicted to meth...she wrote all these crazy things on the walls of her apartment. If I recall correctly, she was a stripper and used the money to purchase meth. The poor kid was a total wreck.

I'd love a happy ending for these people, but like you mentioned, most don't stay sober.

Watching them shoot up is just so...I can't even describe it. I always wonder how the crew feels while filming someone shoot heroine.

I knew a few guys when I was younger who got hooked on heroine. Two ended up dead (one of HIV the other from an overdose) and another has been spending the past 20 years in and out of prison.

I tell my kids (both are 18) that you really don't get to come back from heroine.

I apologize for my ignorant comment regarding rape and obesity. I'm just going by the few women I know. They most likely turned out ok because they got counseling early on.

Or your friends dealt with it in a different way-- over-spending? gambling? sexual acting out? drinking? drug abuse? Or their family were supportive which minimized the "side effects." It is the after effects which are so harmful. I am almost 45 years old and I am still coping with the after effects-- my parents like to think what happened to me was no big deal and want me to have a relationship with my abuser who has made zero attempt at making amends to me. Imagine dealing with that kind of situation as a very young child. You might become morbidly obese, too.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    lemon629 wrote: »

Or your friends dealt with it in a different way-- over-spending? gambling? sexual acting out? drinking? drug abuse? Or their family were supportive which minimized the "side effects." It is the after effects which are so harmful. I am almost 45 years old and I am still coping with the after effects-- my parents like to think what happened to me was no big deal and want me to have a relationship with my abuser. Imagine dealing with that kind of situation as a very young child. You might become morbidly obese, too.

Or I might punch my parents...sorry about all that's happened to you :(

• lemon629
    edited March 2015
    Options

Or your friends dealt with it in a different way-- over-spending? gambling? sexual acting out? drinking? drug abuse? Or their family were supportive which minimized the "side effects." It is the after effects which are so harmful. I am almost 45 years old and I am still coping with the after effects-- my parents like to think what happened to me was no big deal and want me to have a relationship with my abuser. Imagine dealing with that kind of situation as a very young child. You might become morbidly obese, too.

Or I might punch my parents...sorry about all that's happened to you :(

I just have hardly anything to do with either one of them, but it has taken a lot of work to get to this point.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options

Or your friends dealt with it in a different way-- over-spending? gambling? sexual acting out? drinking? drug abuse? Or their family were supportive which minimized the "side effects." It is the after effects which are so harmful. I am almost 45 years old and I am still coping with the after effects-- my parents like to think what happened to me was no big deal and want me to have a relationship with my abuser who has made zero attempt at making amends to me. Imagine dealing with that kind of situation as a very young child. You might become morbidly obese, too.

They had a great support system, plus counseling so no - they did not have any issues with drinking/drug abuse/gambling/etc.

Two are married, mini-van driving soccer moms, and one lives happily with her boyfriend and loves her career. I've known these women since we were children, so trust me, if there was something sketchy going on I would have known it.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options

You really need to educate yourself on this matter.....I am not saying that to be rude, I am being dead serious....

I already apoplogized for my ignorant comment.

Again - I am sorry my comment was offensive. I truly didn't mean it that way. I know 4 victims of sexual abuse - 2 rape survivors, and 2 that were victims of molestation as small children (one from a family member, one from a neighbor). I can only go by what I have experienced personally.

• akern1987
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    akern1987 wrote: »
    I applaud the bravery of the people on those shows

The folks on these shows are being exploited by the business men and women who produce them for the sole purpose of entertainment and profit mongering.

That's definitely true, and I know that, and for the people who view it as a "freak show" that makes me sad, and those are the same people who look at someone overweight and just assume that they've never exercised a day in their life, and that they eat nothing but McDonalds all days long (which I know is true for some folks) instead of wanting to know the story. I'm not naive to the business end of that channel, but I also know how hard it is to admit my own shortcomings even to myself, let alone have them aired on national television. This is long hard road to be on, and at least in terms of My Big Fat Fabulous Life, she's doing her thing and isn't afraid to be proud of herself, and that's awesome.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

I already apoplogized for my ignorant comment.

Again - I am sorry my comment was offensive. I truly didn't mean it that way. I know 4 victims of sexual abuse - 2 rape survivors, and 2 that were victims of molestation as small children (one from a family member, one from a neighbor). I can only go by what I have experienced personally.

Apology accepted. It's normal to look at things though your own lens.

There was a story on NPR just recently about the link between traumatic childhoods and obesity.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/03/02/377569413/can-family-secrets-make-you-sick

Without getting into details, I personally had a profoundly awful childhood. It's gravity is almost inescapable. While I've never gotten to the point of morbid obesity, I have and continue to deal with substance abuse and mental health issues and a general sense of abject failure and worthlessness.

But the sun's out today, so there's that.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options

The folks on these shows are being exploited by the business men and women who produce them for the sole purpose of entertainment and profit mongering.

That's definitely true, and I know that, and for the people who view it as a "freak show" that makes me sad, and those are the same people who look at someone overweight and just assume that they've never exercised a day in their life, and that they eat nothing but McDonalds all days long (which I know is true for some folks) instead of wanting to know the story. I'm not naive to the business end of that channel, but I also know how hard it is to admit my own shortcomings even to myself, let alone have them aired on national television. This is long hard road to be on, and at least in terms of My Big Fat Fabulous Life, she's doing her thing and isn't afraid to be proud of herself, and that's awesome.

I'm one of those who just want a happy ending for these people. I want them to have an "Ah-ha" moment where it all comes together and finally clicks for them

• jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I watch a lot of TLC shows (my mom watches that channel a lot so it's just on a lot in our house). My 600lb life makes me kind of sad, because of how so many of the people have gotten to that point, despite a loving support system. There's no reason for it in most of the cases. On the flip side I also watch my Big Fat Fabulous life and it makes me sad for other reasons. Her story in general doesn't, because she owns her situation, and she is such a positive role model for bigger girls, but because she is not lazy, she tries so hard, and works out so much and it just makes you realize that looking at a fat person isn't always as it appears. So many people judge us because we are fat without knowing our circumstances, and I watch her and know exactly how she feels. It's really hard to be positive and live life with eyes on you in disgust because they think they know. I applaud the bravery of the people on those shows, just as I applaud the bravery of everyone who puts themselves out there on this website. It's hard, and remember only he who is without sin can cast the first stone.

I like watching My Big Fat Fabulous Life but the only thing if I dont feel sorry for her. I feel t she blames all her weight gain to PCOS. If you watch the show yes she teaches dance/zumba so she is exercising but you can see she doesnt eat very healthy or like someone who is trying to live a healthier lifestyle. Did you see the episode where her father made her a healthier breakfast or lunch (I forgot) but she insisted on what she had made for herself which wasnt a healthy choice. Then she proceeded to eat her sandwich along with what her father had made for her. I have read a couple post forums on here on ppl who have PCOS and they have still managed to lose weight because they are making healthier long term choices. Someone said yes PCOS makes you gain and harder to lose weight but not impossible.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

The part that really creeps me out about that aspect is there are entire internet forums devoted to hating fat people. They come to forums like this and to people's personal blogs that discuss weight just to copy over pictures and stories to build elaborate fantasies about them. They don't just make jokes or make fun of how they look, they talk about the manner in which they hope they die, and how much they want them to suffer. I feel like all of those shows are people serving themselves up to the hate sites on a platter.
  • akern1987
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jazzine1 wrote: »
    Did you see the episode where her father made her a healthier breakfast or lunch (I forgot) but she insisted on what she had made for herself which wasnt a healthy choice. Then she proceeded to eat her sandwich along with what her father had made for her.

I did see that, and I totally hear you on that one, it's not that she's perfect, but really who is. I just like that she's trying to put a positive spin on things, and she just seems to have this no BS attitude, and she likes who she is, fat or not. I'm not saying she doesn't seem spoiled by her parents (because she does), but she does have a condition that makes it hard to keep weight off, and super easy to put it on. She even says herself that she's a work in progress and I respect that. I don't eat the way I should all the time either. I look forward to the next season and hope to see her turn her diet around as well.
  • lulufee317537
    lulufee317537 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I find it fascinating. I also liked that documentary about the man who had a face transplant.

But it also makes me shake my head. Only in America can a person be killing themselves with too much food when there are people in other countries whose children are starving. I hate that aspect of this western culture, the "I can have anything I want" culture. It's no wonder they can go off the deep end when simply being 200-300 lbs in this country is considered normal.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm one of those who just want a happy ending for these people. I want them to have an "Ah-ha" moment where it all comes together and finally clicks for them

Me too in last night episode with Angel I was so happy when they would show 8 months and there she was looking thinner and walking more. I root and cheer them on. Besides they themselves choose to be on the show, knowing millions would be watching. I just wish and want them all to succeed. That's all. No freak show side line mentality here.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    These 600 Pound People are "outlayers" on the continuum, and I think have some extreme dysfunction, mental, physical, emotional, and situational to get to that 500 and 600 Pound range.

Which is why I don't think WLS is gonna be the end all be all solution here to the problem. It is like a band-aid. The main problems for getting that way are not addressed, which is why those folks will never get it together.