Sometimes I really hate being a woman...

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    Ladies, many of you know how it is. My PMS cravings are usually bad, but some months they are in complete overdrive. This is one of them. I feel like I could dive into a 100 pound bag of Cheetos and eat my way to the bottom, lol. Anyway, just venting...:).

To be honest, I haven't read through the responses since I'm at work.

I have to say though, I absolutely HATE this mentality. Sure pms can be bad and we joke/complain about it constantly, but to say you hate being a woman because of it? Ridiculously over dramatic and not needed at all.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Ladies, many of you know how it is. My PMS cravings are usually bad, but some months they are in complete overdrive. This is one of them. I feel like I could dive into a 100 pound bag of Cheetos and eat my way to the bottom, lol. Anyway, just venting...:).

I have to say though, I absolutely HATE this mentality. Sure pms can be bad and we joke/complain about it constantly, but to say you hate being a woman because of it? Ridiculously over dramatic and not needed at all.

Then ignore my post. Simple. :D

• jnv7594
    edited March 2015
    I got somewhat like that two weeks ago too!! Even my boyfriend was wondering: "Aren't you dieting?" Especially since I was all like

giphy.gif

I didn't care... screw it if it messed up my deficit... LOL!! You either want a happy chick or an angry B1+ch. :laugh:
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Last time PMS hit hard, I ate 4500 calories that day... it was last week. For me it's the ravenous 'I need to eat now or I'm going to pass out' hunger that kills me.

I got somewhat like that two weeks ago too!! Even my boyfriend was wondering: "Aren't you dieting?" Especially since I was all like

giphy.gif

I didn't care... screw it if it messed up my deficit... LOL!! You either want a happy chick or an angry B1+ch. :laugh:

This is me tonight, lol. I ended up ordering pizza. I think the crazed look I was giving the pizza guy while it took him forever to run my debit card scared him. :smiley: He now knows the look of a woman on the edge.

LMAO. I just choked on my water!!! :laugh:

lol...Seriously, I have no idea what my face looked like when I was waiting, but he must have sensed my urgency. He kept glancing up at me like he was going to say "lady are you okay", haha.

• 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Sorry to say - menopause x 12+ years and uncontrollable cravings still hit me. The only difference is that it doesn't come in a cycle, so I'm seldom prepared.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Sorry to say - menopause x 12+ years and uncontrollable cravings still hit me. The only difference is that it doesn't come in a cycle, so I'm seldom prepared.

Oh joy, something else to look forward to :open_mouth::cold_sweat:
  • VintageMisery514
    VintageMisery514 Posts: 533 Member
    It took 18 months after my daughter was born for shark week to come back, and let me tell you -- those 18 months were GLORIOUS. No uncontrollable sugar and chocolate cravings! Then, when it started back up again, it was like it had to make up for all 18 of those months (plus the 41.5 weeks I was pregnant) and I could have eaten ALL THE SALTY THINGS. Still is happening every month too. Kills me.
  • KrisAZ000
    KrisAZ000 Posts: 76 Member

She specifically said sometimes she hates being a woman. Not always. Maybe your periods aren't that bad, but no need to get all judgy on women who just want to commiserate with other women who understand what they're going through. You can nonchalantly say that sure PMS can be bad, but how do you know exactly how bad it is for every woman? For me, it's really bad. I get horrible migraines and cramps that make it hard to function, frequently leave me in tears and unable to sleep, and negatively impact the quality of my life for multiple days every month, sometimes causing me to miss work or other important engagements. So if in the moment, I say I hate being a woman, the last thing I'd need is some judgy comment from a woman who thinks I'm being "ridiculous." Seems to me that it's your comment that wasn't needed. Why even respond to OP's thread if you found it so unneeded?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    KrisAZ000 wrote: »

She specifically said sometimes she hates being a woman. Not always. Maybe your periods aren't that bad, but no need to get all judgy on women who just want to commiserate with other women who understand what they're going through. You can nonchalantly say that sure PMS can be bad, but how do you know exactly how bad it is for every woman? For me, it's really bad. I get horrible migraines and cramps that make it hard to function, frequently leave me in tears and unable to sleep, and negatively impact the quality of my life for multiple days every month, sometimes causing me to miss work or other important engagements. So if in the moment, I say I hate being a woman, the last thing I'd need is some judgy comment from a woman who thinks I'm being "ridiculous." Seems to me that it's your comment that wasn't needed. Why even respond to OP's thread if you found it so unneeded?

:+1::smiley:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member

giphy.gif

HEY, what about me???!
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    It took 18 months after my daughter was born for shark week to come back, and let me tell you -- those 18 months were GLORIOUS. No uncontrollable sugar and chocolate cravings! Then, when it started back up again, it was like it had to make up for all 18 of those months (plus the 41.5 weeks I was pregnant) and I could have eaten ALL THE SALTY THINGS. Still is happening every month too. Kills me.

The delay for 13 months of PMS post baby made breastfeeding all worth it. Although after the break mine weren't as bad. I had terrible cramps and heavy periods before now they are mild.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    I use the ring and don't get periods much. Been doing it for a few years. Still alive. No blood clots and no PMS cravings. My periods were really bad. Felt like I got hit with the flu for 5 days. I don't miss them and don't care.
  • CatLover22974
    CatLover22974 Posts: 16 Member
    Yip. I sometimes hate that part of being a woman too. Sometimes when the cravings hit for things that aren't so good for me, no matter what I try, or how many ways I try to satiate the cravings with healthier alternatives, it's like my body and mind keep screaming at me "what the hell do you think you're doing?! I told you I wanted THIS, so give it to me RIGHT NOW, DAMMIT!!!!!".
  • jnv7594

nkuvk50g313z.gif
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited March 2015

applause.gif
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Weirdly, this cycle I had no "additional" cravings at all. This may be the first cycle (I can't say "month" any more because I've become very irregular) in two years or more where I didn't overeat even once. I think I'm just really committed this time and I feel I've somewhat been using PMS as an excuse.

But...is it an overall pleasant experience? Not so much. I have NEVER enjoyed this. ;) Blargh. I informed God that I no longer require the services of my ovaries as my reproductive term of service is officially over. I even attempted to press the point home by having a tubal ligation. No dice. Still choosing between a diaper and a dry rod every few weeks. Come on, menopause!

Since God has submitted his refusal to cease services effective immediately, I'll be sending Mother Nature a text next. Wish me luck.
  • LAWoman72
    I get the Cheetos thing - that is why I love that the grocery store sells the individual mini-bags. I usually keep one or two (usually 2 since they are 2 for $1) of Cheetos or Doritos (or one of each) around the house so that if I really want them I have them but don't have a giant bag of them. They are only about 150 calories for a bag, so not to hard to fit in (I usually have a snack at night that is something more indulgent, like a mini cupcake or ice cream, so I just sub in the Cheetos) and that way there isn't a huge bag around the house. I just have to make sure the shopping happens when I don't want them, so that I don't buy like 15 bags. So that is always an option you can try.

Yes, my daughter was eating them in front of me yesterday. I should have just gotten a small bag for myself but didn't think of it until she started eating hers. I was almost like...

8h8tkmz0vh9n.gif

OMG so funny.

• LAWoman72
    betsysjl wrote: »
    suruda wrote: »
    You can avoid PMS by getting pregnant! No period for almost a whole year lolol

That's my nightmare...can you imagine having a baby at 51? yikes!

The problem with that is, you make up for the 9 months of not having a period by bleeding for 4-6 weeks straight. One of the many things they don't tell you about being pregnant.

In addition, there's the 18-year, $250K clause.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

Oh yes. Mfp. I forgot you can only comment if you agree with the OP.

Seriously. How do you know it isn't bad for me? It used to be living hell. iy sometimes still is. Especially when I have a job that I don't always get the liberty of knowing the next time I get to use the bathroom. During that time of the month? Yeah- it sucks. Carrying someone down 6 flights of stairs when my abdomen feels like it is recreating a war zone? Not fun at all. Not to mention I had to stop BC pills (and all BC medication) for a bit and had periods that could literally be compared to Niagra falls(thankfully back on it).

All that said, I still find it absolutely ridiculous to state that you hate being a woman because of that. It is overly dramatic and not needed. I am sorry if that hurts your precious feelings, but it's the truth. I'm not exactly known for being nice.
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    I was on depo for 5 years and now I'm on my 5th month with Mirena. No periods for me in that entire time B)
  • GPHX_GEEK
    GPHX_GEEK Posts: 32 Member
    edited March 2015
    I think it's safe to say, most of us share your pain. Not having that cake or cookies that you are just dying for doesn't even help when you go into craving overdrive; at least not for me. One time I was craving chips so badly (didn't have any) and I held off for as long as I could, but my brain just couldn't focus on anything else...I ended up eating a whole bag of croutons :'( ...yeah...it didn't make me feel better.

Lately though, I've been getting better at learning how to distract myself. First, I'll get as far away from the kitchen as possible will a full bottle of water. Sometimes, when my cravings are too much, that's the time I'll work out instead, or if I already worked out I'll do a relaxing stretching routine like this one. Tea also works for me (usually a chamomille, herbal blend) because I have to drink it slowly. And whatever you do, don't watch the Food Network :) .