March 2015 Running Challenge

Replies

• whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    whatang wrote: »
    Ok, I'm in for 40 miles. Started running a couple of months ago, have done 30 miles for each of those months, so I'd like to try going a bit further this month. Started with an easy 1.8 today.

1st - 1.8 miles
    2nd - 2.3 miles
    4th - 4.0 miles
    5th - 3.2 miles
    7th - 3.1 miles

exercise.png

• rnjcb
    rnjcb Posts: 86 Member
    exercise.png
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    ScientificExplorerGirl Posts: 535 Member
    edited March 2015
    March 1: 3 miles -- treadmill
    March 7: 5 miles - -treadmill

exercise.png
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Bit behind schedule, thanks to the weather, but managed to get a 10.7km run in today...

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    March 1 - 5K - 3rd place in my age group. Not my best time, but happy with it! 29:07
    March 2- rest
    March 3- 5.05 miles and strength training
    March 4 - 5.09 miles
    March 5 - 5.13 miles
    March 6 - strength training
    March 7 - 34 miles Biking - so windy today.

exercise.png
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    exercise.png

3/1 - 2.25 miles - walking, and another 2.25 miles - walking
    3/2 - 1 mile - running, 1 mile - walking, and another 2 miles - walking
    3/3 - 5 miles - walking ***that single mile of running was a mistake***
    3/4 - 2.25 miles - walking, and another 1.5 miles - walking
    3/5 - 2.25 miles - walking
    3/6 - 1.75 miles - walking
    3/7 - 2.25 miles - walking
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Great five TM miles - going outside tomorrow!

Q for the TM runners who run repeats, progression runs, etc.: do you keep your incline level static or change it around as you go. At what incline level do you usually rest, if you do ... do you warm up higher or lower than the rest of your run? Thanks!

exercise.png

• Twiggyld
    Twiggyld Posts: 3 Member
    Just started back this week and I'm doing ok...added strength training too!

exercise.png

• chetvr
    chetvr Posts: 17 Member
    exercise.png

I'm going slow and steady!
  • cooter_mom
    cooter_mom Posts: 108 Member
    Confession time: I'm slightly terrified to leave the comfort of my treadmill and run outside. It's gorgeous here in southern Alberta this weekend and I'm going to run on the treadmill. My water is right there, Netflix, my towel. My treadmill paces me and I'm so afraid of getting bored running outside alone. Am I crazy?!
    aav8f2ozrzfl.jpg
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    I'm glad you guys liked the picture I posted. @skippygirlsmom That picture was taken a bit outside of Boulder, CO.
    I ran 5.5 miles today which happens to be the farthest I have ever ran straight running. :)
    exercise.png
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    DATE...................... MILES...............TOTAL
    3/3...........................5.25....................5.25
    3/4...........................5.25..................10.50
    3/5...........................7.75..................18.25
    3/7.........................11.00..................29.25

exercise.png

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    edited March 2015
    @cooter_mom...I think once you actually just get out and do it, you will discover that running alone outside is the most unboring thing you have ever done. I think if you do most of your runs outside this spring and summer, you will dread going back to the mill. Running outside lets you experience what running is all about... subtle adjustments to an ever-changing terrain, being alert to your surroundings, feeling your feet pushing off the ground, experiencing changes in temperature and precipitation...

A treadmill deprives you of the exhilaration of running through a spontaneous rain shower and seeing the rainbow at the end... it keeps you from discovering mental toughness when snow is blowing in your eyes... it doesn't let you feel the satisfaction of seeing the geographical distance you actually covered (did I really run to the next town and back?). And if you can add to that, the unparalleled thrill of running through the woods on a single track trail, picking your way around and over rocks, roots, streams... I'm getting a rush just writing this and I just finished my run....

Damn girl... you gotta ditch that mill....
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    exercise.png

3/1 - 2.25 miles - walking, and another 2.25 miles - walking
    3/2 - 1 mile - running, 1 mile - walking, and another 2 miles - walking
    3/3 - 5 miles - walking ***that single mile of running was a mistake***
    3/4 - 2.25 miles - walking, and another 1.5 miles - walking
    3/5 - 2.25 miles - walking
    3/6 - 1.75 miles - walking
    3/7 - 2.25 miles - walking, and another 1.75 miles - walking
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Hmmm ok I am new and going to try this out. I have my first half in May. I didn't really run much this week at all. Nicer weather next week so I hope to have better numbers. For March my goal is 50 miles? Can you believe I have never tracked what I run in a month..... so this past week..

March 1---5.5 miles
    March 2---2.5 miles
    March 4---3.5 miles

Total
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    @Elise4270‌ - I just do the math on pool laps to calculate distance (most swim workouts are between 0.8 and 1.2 miles), as the surf effect during open water swims makes me nauseous enough that I'll only do them once or twice per triathlon training cycle. My GPS watch can work during open water swims, but it is a bit spotty.

3/1 - 17 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - 8 miles
    3/5 - 5 miles
    3/7 - 8 miles

Total: 43 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 137 miles
  • cooter_mom
    cooter_mom Posts: 108 Member
    @cooter_mom...I think once you actually just get out and do it, you will discover that running alone outside is the most unboring thing you have ever done. I think if you do most of your runs outside this spring and summer, you will dread going back to the mill. Running outside lets you experience what running is all about... subtle adjustments to an ever-changing terrain, being alert to your surroundings, feeling your feet pushing off the ground, experiencing changes in temperature and precipitation...

A treadmill deprives you of the exhilaration of running through a spontaneous rain shower and seeing the rainbow at the end... it keeps you from discovering mental toughness when snow is blowing in your eyes... it doesn't let you feel the satisfaction of seeing the geographical distance you actually covered (did I really run to the next town and back?). And if you can add to that, the unparalleled thrill of running through the woods on a single track trail, picking your way around and over rocks, roots, streams... I'm getting a rush just writing this and I just finished my run....

Damn girl... you gotta ditch that mill....

Thank you, that was a beautiful description of what I'm missing out on. Maybe this afternoon I'll get my kiddo on her bike and go for a running adventure.
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    @lonewolfrunner I am in love with your description of running outside! <3
    @cooter_mom Don't think twice about going outside! In my opinion dreadmill run and outside runs don't even live in the same universe!
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    edited March 2015
    3/1 - 3.1 on the treadmill (see what I did there...)
    3/2 - Rest
    3/3 - 5.1 - got an outdoor run in before the ice hits again
    3/6 - 2.3 - limited amount of time before I needed to take my son to practice
    3/7 - 7.3

Gave up the Brooks Adrenline's today. My pace has been slow, I feel like I fight them every run. They provided the support I needed, but they felt like work. Went to the Kayano 20's and had a much better run. They are supposed to provide support, just not as much as the Adrenaline. We'll see how my ankles/arches feel tomorrow.

@cooter_mom‌ Agree that you'll probably love it once you get outside. There's something about being outside, the change in terrain, scenery, people etc that makes it go by a faster than the treadmill...even with Netflix. :)

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    3/1 - 6.5 miles
    3/2 - 3.9 miles - miserable windy 20 mph with gusts, I hate wind even when it's 100 out LOL
    3/3 - rest day
    3/4 - 6.1 miles a beautiful 64F at 5:30 am when I ran - ran in a tank top. I love Alabama, tonight it will be 25F with a winter storm watch
    3/5 - ice day
    3/6 - ice day
    3/7 - 8.4 miles

24.9 out of 70 miles

exercise.png