What is/are your NOPE ingredient(s)?

Options

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Almonds, hazelnuts, and olives. Only cause i found out the hard way i'm allergic.
  • jordie1129
    Options
    '
    Stevia and all artificial sweeteners. I don't believe in any of that 'toxic' stuff, but that crap is toxic to my tongue! More and more things have started to sneak it in, too. Used to LOVE vitamin water. Then one day I bought a nice cold one, took a big gulp... and immediately up-chucked the gulp. Looked at the ingredients: stevia! Looked at the last bottle I'd gotten: no stevia! This was the 'normal' one too -- not low sugar or zero.

Same thing almost happened with instant hot chocolate. Luckily I smelled it soon as I pored it into the cup. Went back to the store: EVERY brand now puts it in, apparently! Only one that doesn't: the publix brand with marshmallows (the one without does).

I don't know if they're trying to make stuff even more sweet, or are trying to lower the amount of sugar, or what... but it's *gross*. This isn't a matter of learning to tolerate it either: my entire life my mom always only had diet drinks in the house. Tried and tried to learn to like it: my stomach immediately retches soon as the taste of ANY of the 'fake' sugar touches my tongue. It should never, ever be a replacement or addition to something sweet, unless it's specifically supposed to be 'diet' and marketed toward such people who need sweet but can't/won't do sugar. Drives me mad. </rant>

Stevia isn't an artificial sweetener, it's an herb, no different than most spices.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    for allergies, mostly artificial things and a few whole food items that aren't commonly in many things

but for recipes...I really hate seeing open a can of this and that blah blah blah then mix and it's homemade! Nope! and again Nope!

as far as stevia....it's just weird. I find it kind of ok in iced tea and very limited other things, but it leaves a weird feeling in my mouth and bitter aftertaste. I've tried it fresh, growing my own, and the highly processed options available.
  • jusbowers
    jusbowers Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Anything I can't pronounce is out.

processed chicken products - that is just shaped pink gloop eugh

Any meats not farmed in the UK

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Turkey Bacon.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Beets...only beets.

Hahaha what do you have against beets? They never hurt anybody!

but Lima beans have!
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Aspartame, anything hydrogenated, potassium bromate/bromide and potassium benzoate, anything in a non bpa free can, anything in a jar with a bpa lined lid, sodium nitrates and nitrites that are not from celery salt, artificial vanilla, castoreum (beaver anal extract - look it up) and high frusctose corn syrup. Those are my mains lol
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I have food allergies to dairy and soy and I am gluten intolerant, so those are automatic put backs. I also avoid artificial sweeteners, hydrogenated oils, HFCS, MSG, "natural flavoring or natural spices" (other names that the FDA has allowed to be used for MSG) nitrites/nitrates, sulfates, corn (almost all corn is gmo) anything that is GMO, and preservatives.....I am currently trying to cut sugar out so I avoid things with more than 4 grams of sugar. It's really hard to get all the toxic crap out of our diets when they keep coming up with new allowable names for things. My allow list is shorter than my won't allow list and I have yet to find a good protein bar that is dairy free, soy free, gluten free and doesn't have any of the no no's in it.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    jordie1129 wrote: »
    '
    Stevia and all artificial sweeteners. I don't believe in any of that 'toxic' stuff, but that crap is toxic to my tongue! More and more things have started to sneak it in, too. Used to LOVE vitamin water. Then one day I bought a nice cold one, took a big gulp... and immediately up-chucked the gulp. Looked at the ingredients: stevia! Looked at the last bottle I'd gotten: no stevia! This was the 'normal' one too -- not low sugar or zero.

Same thing almost happened with instant hot chocolate. Luckily I smelled it soon as I pored it into the cup. Went back to the store: EVERY brand now puts it in, apparently! Only one that doesn't: the publix brand with marshmallows (the one without does).

I don't know if they're trying to make stuff even more sweet, or are trying to lower the amount of sugar, or what... but it's *gross*. This isn't a matter of learning to tolerate it either: my entire life my mom always only had diet drinks in the house. Tried and tried to learn to like it: my stomach immediately retches soon as the taste of ANY of the 'fake' sugar touches my tongue. It should never, ever be a replacement or addition to something sweet, unless it's specifically supposed to be 'diet' and marketed toward such people who need sweet but can't/won't do sugar. Drives me mad. </rant>

Stevia isn't an artificial sweetener, it's an herb, no different than most spices.

That's the case only if you are clipping leaves from your stevia plant and adding them to your tea. If you are using powders or drops? It's no closer to nature than the aspartame they make from fruit peels or the sucralose (Splenda) they make from cane and beet sugars.

And, nothing can be said that makes it taste OK. Wretched stuff.
  • kmccann357
    kmccann357 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Cheese, because if I start I won't stop and oils... never cook with oil.
  • nono706
    nono706 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Food dyes make me feel yucky, and agave is in a lot of "health" foods, which is really too bad. Yuck.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Things that claim to be sugar but my tongue says otherwise, animal products other than eggs (this is an ethics/health compromise)... with the exception of a few vegetables that will shackle me to the john for hours, that's it.
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Splenda. Oh, the stomach pain!
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners (mostly because they taste disgusting), Chicory Root Extract (I know it causes some people to have bad bloating issues). I don't know how people can drink diet soda. I used to think people were only kidding themselves when they said they liked the taste, but there are genuinely people who prefer diet to regular soda (yech!).
  • landfish
    landfish Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Broccoli. I have an intense dislike of broccoli. Even the smell of it will make me lose my appetite.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Not one specific "nope" ingredient, but I avoid foods that have 50 ingredients. Even a simple cup of instant mashed potato has 30+ ingredients. The day I stopped eating that junk my heartburn ceased immediately. Can't ever go back.

I read that the McDonalds McRib sandwich has 70 ingredients. Yuck!
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    High fructose corn syrup, agave, hydrogenated oils, artificial dyes, grains and legumes.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Trans fat. Anything else is fair game, in moderation.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    jordie1129 wrote: »
    '

That's why I said Stevia AND :) -- I know it's natural, and MIL used to grow her own. It does the same thing the artificial ones do, and has the same horrid lingering aftertaste. I have to carefully pick my toothpastes for the same reason. It's not me worrying about them being 'artificial' or anything. I could care less about that. It's all just *nasty*

There are several 'spices' - namely, seeds from the celery family such as fennel, coriander, etc - that have the same 'instant gag reflex' that stevia does. Only the seeds though, and only in certain quantities (so the small amount ground up in stuff such as pepperoni or season salt doesn't do it. I enjoy the taste so it's annoying that happens. Stevia in very small amounts also doesn't make me gag, though a few minutes after eating/drinking something with it I get a sick/dizzy feeling and discomfort in my throat. Not psychosomatic either: I'll get the feeling before knowing I've had it). So I guess I avoid those too, though it's usually not listed. Has to have caused the gag reflex in the past to avoid buying it.
  • iwearthejumper32
    iwearthejumper32 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    HFCS, trans fats, anything low fat, high sodium, canola oil, sulphates, propylene glycol, processed meat/dairy, refined carbs, MSG, artificial colors and sweeteners. Basically all the things that made up my childhood.