Is diet pop really bad for you?

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I weighed the evidence.

Imagine if we never spent any time with one relative because of all the rumours we heard about them? Doesn't the truth count for something?
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    I drink diet Pop and except for the sodium...it has empty calories. I just do it to have something with my meal besides water all the time. I usually only drink two cans a day.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    To be totally honest, and please don't bash me for this. ...
    But I am too scared to drink those diet drinks. I've read far too many negative things about it. Yes yes, I know you can find pro's and cons on anything on the internet. But until there's 100% certainty either way I'll stick to plain ol water :smile:

I honestly do not have an issue with someone choosing not to drink them as the are not comfortable with it. I have an issue when people use flawed support for hyperbole and fear mongering. I would also suggest that is can go too far with some people (not referring to you at all with this) when they start having an unhealthy relationship with food due to these fears.

You will never get 100% certainty on pretty much anything tbh however.

^Agreed. I've heard a lot of bad things about, well, almost everything. I'm lactose intolerant and when I was looking into substitutes, I heard a lot of bad things about many of the alternatives. I've also heard bad things about many other supplements, vitamins, fruits, veggies, meats, etc.

As Sara pointed out, letting fear drive you away from things can be a problem because honestly, what would you eat? :laugh:

Not saying diet soda is a must have or anything like that. If you don't like it or just don't want to drink it, that's fine. But trying to wait for things to be a 100% certain about any food or drink will probably not happen in our lifetime.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Surely they can prove if aspartame etc affects our bodies negatively with scientific experiments and research?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Surely they can prove if aspartame etc affects our bodies negatively with scientific experiments and research?

But they have not proven it.

You can only prove something (and I use prove a bit liberally here) if it exists.

Aspartame is the most tested consumable substance around - thousands of tests have been done. None have proven it to be harmful (unless you have PKU) in reasonable doses. Have a read of the link to a thread discussing it that was provided early on.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

But they have not proven it.

You can only prove something (and I use prove a bit liberally here) if it exists.

Aspartame is the most tested consumable substance around - thousands of tests have been done. None have proven it to be harmful (unless you have PKU) in reasonable doses. Have a read of the link to a thread discussing it that was provided early on.

Fair call :smile:
    Admittedly I didn't read that link, will do so now.

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    My post about soda was simply something I had seen in the paper that day. At the time I thought it was relatively on topic in a "diet soda" thread.

Obviously not so just simply return to topic and all will be right with the world once again.

Post about REGULAR soda on topic in a DIET soda thread.

1351116165579.gif

Does everyone have to put their adjectives in BIG letters or it just me that has to obey?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    My post about soda was simply something I had seen in the paper that day. At the time I thought it was relatively on topic in a "diet soda" thread.

Obviously not so just simply return to topic and all will be right with the world once again.

1351116165579.gif

Does everyone have to put their adjectives in BIG letters or it just me that has to obey?

Seems like she was adding emphasis to some very important adjectives in her response.

Maybe italics would be better? "Post about regular soda on topic in a diet soda thread."

Your post was off topic.
  • LaceyRuth
    LaceyRuth Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would drink 2-3 diet sodas a day, but gave it up over Christmas break. It's been almost three months and I started exercising more, and I've lost weight faster than I ever have. I've also had more energy than I ever did while drinking caffeine.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

1351116165579.gif

:huh:

giphy.gif
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    LaceyRuth wrote: »
    I would drink 2-3 diet sodas a day, but gave it up over Christmas break. It's been almost three months and I started exercising more, and I've lost weight faster than I ever have. I've also had more energy than I ever did while drinking caffeine.

Are you saying you lost weight faster after you stopped drinking diet soda? Or just saying you exercised more after you stopped drinking it?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    LaceyRuth wrote: »

Your weight loss was due to exercising more and eating less calories than you burn. It was not because you gave up diet soda.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

1351116165579.gif

giphy.gif

This gif looks dirty....

I'm scared :fearful:
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options

1351116165579.gif

giphy.gif

This gif looks dirty....

I'm scared :fearful:

It does 0.o
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ok. Pet peeve: Civil liberties, such as the freedom of speech, are things that the government cannot throw you in jail for. Private companies and individuals get to make their own call on that, just like A&E firing that Duck Dynasty guy was also not a violation of the 1st amendment because A&E is not the government. So, because "denial of freedom of speech" in this case isn't resulting in someone getting thrown in jail by the government, it's just incorrect to raise that flag.

Also, disagreement != censorship, which is a bizarre comparison to begin with.

/polisciprofmode

I drank diet Pepsi with my Costco pizza. Pretty sure I'm definitely going to die now.

ETA: I understand that not all posters are from the US, but the principle still stands.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    Ok. Pet peeve: Civil liberties, such as the freedom of speech, are things that the government cannot throw you in jail for. Private companies and individuals get to make their own call on that, just like A&E firing that Duck Dynasty guy was also not a violation of the 1st amendment because A&E is not the government. So, because "denial of freedom of speech" in this case isn't resulting in someone getting thrown in jail by the government, it's just incorrect to raise that flag.

/polisciprofmode

I drank diet Pepsi with my Costco pizza. Pretty sure I'm definitely going to die now.

ETA: I understand that not all posters are from the US, but the principle still stands.

z205099164.gif
  • polkadont
    polkadont Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Girl if I could only drink diet soda I would, I love it so much! haha I have it up for 30 days and now I don't even think about it. I know you post isn't about cutting it out, but if you're concerned it is affecting your weight loss, you can try cutting it out for a week and see if anything changes. Physically or mentally.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

/polisciprofmode

z205099164.gif

Aw! I've never gotten a gif response before. I will cherish it forever. :flowerforyou: