March 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,403 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    @4leighbee‌, @Elise4270‌, @JoRocka‌ - running on the TM makes my shins and calves hurt shoes or no shoes. My legs and feet are also arch dependent although I have found running barefoot on the beach to be a great strength exercise for my calves, feet and especially arches. Initially they ached afterwards but now they are fine. I have also switched to 0 drop running shoes as they were the only shoes that I could run in w/o pain after I tore the fascia in my left foot. They also made my shins and calves hurt initially until I got used to them.

Every year, my idealized notion of me running on the beach is always more romantic than the reality ends up being ... maybe I don't give it enough time. How long would you say it took for your legs to adapt? I don't have ready access to a beach, so I have a couple weeks at a time through the summer.
    @4leighbee‌ - I started running (barefoot) at the beach once every 2-3 weeks or so last October. At first it was just for a few minutes here and there. If my arch hurt I stopped. Now we try to still go every other Sat or Sun and occasionally more often. I run a good 2 miles in intervals with the dog, of course he is running and zooming all over and runs much further than me :) Also note - beach running is a lot harder than running on solid ground and so I take it slow and easy and enjoy the view!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Hey all runner peoples of running people world.

How do you deal with treadmill gait shifts- for those of you who have noticed this?

I find my gait changes drastically from hardball to treadmill- enough to cause me at the least strain on my shins- worst my college soccer days shin splints are catching up. All a none issue outside)

how do you guys deal with it/adjust??- I've been having to be really overly conscious about it- which is annoying and distracted to me.

Are you running at an incline? If I don't put it at 0.5 or 1.0 (or higher), my lower legs (shins and calves) feel strained.
    No helpful input on the problem from me - these numbers just made me remember the one and only time I tried running on a treadmill. I had also read beforehand that you should add a slight incline to make it more like outdoor running. Only that somehow I remembered 5% incline as the minimum for that, not 0.5%. Those 4.5 kms were really tough and forced me to take more than one break. What a difference a decimal point makes...
    One thing which I've only tested outdoors, not on the treadmill: when I realise I become overly conscious on my gait (because I read too much about proper running form online ;) ), is concentrating on the movement of my arms instead. I don't know if that would solve the problem with the stain on your shins, but maybe it could distract you from focussing too much on your gait when that starts to annoy you.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    My first midnight run and my first 10-er. Started at 11ish with the plans of doing only the couple of miles I needed to hit my goal, but then I went further...and then further still. Makes me feel really good about that half in June. I think the hubby is going to eat crow for doubting me.
    Congratulations, great distance! If you can do more than 10 miles today, you can definitely be ready for 13.1 miles in June.

@shanaber: beautiful beach! And it looks like glorious weather, too.

01.03.15 - 13.0 km
    03.03.15 - 3.3 km
    05.03.15 - 4.8 km
    08.03.15 - 14.2 km
    35.4 km done (of 100km)

exercise.png
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    @4leighbee‌, @Elise4270‌, @JoRocka‌ - running on the TM makes my shins and calves hurt shoes or no shoes. My legs and feet are also arch dependent although I have found running barefoot on the beach to be a great strength exercise for my calves, feet and especially arches. Initially they ached afterwards but now they are fine. I have also switched to 0 drop running shoes as they were the only shoes that I could run in w/o pain after I tore the fascia in my left foot. They also made my shins and calves hurt initially until I got used to them.

Every year, my idealized notion of me running on the beach is always more romantic than the reality ends up being ... maybe I don't give it enough time. How long would you say it took for your legs to adapt? I don't have ready access to a beach, so I have a couple weeks at a time through the summer.
    @4leighbee‌ - I started running (barefoot) at the beach once every 2-3 weeks or so last October. At first it was just for a few minutes here and there. If my arch hurt I stopped. Now we try to still go every other Sat or Sun and occasionally more often. I run a good 2 miles in intervals with the dog, of course he is running and zooming all over and runs much further than me :) Also note - beach running is a lot harder than running on solid ground and so I take it slow and easy and enjoy the view!

I know - beach running = beast running! :)
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    1--- 6mi
    2--- REST DAY
    3--- 8mi
    4--- 7mi
    5--- 10mi
    6--- 7.25mi
    7--- 18.05mi
    8--- 6mi --- (Weekly total: 56.30 miles)
    9--- REST DAY

Done: 62.30/200mi goal
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'm in new shoes with a small change in the drop. I have significant hamstring pain the last few runs. I may go back to my old shoes a few runs a week. Its funny how complex the running relationship is with shoes, stride, and muscle srrength.

I ran in my 4drop shoes for a year and never acclimated. I've found that if I change my shoulder position (i think im leaning to far forward) that it helps a bit in these new shoes.

Managed 5 miles today... Cross country team was out.... Was awesome seeing the kids run, ages 10-17.

exercise.png
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Okay folks,
    I was up to 36 miles after my long run yesterday, I'm tacking on an extra 6 today. Weather was gorgeous and I took another run at the gargantuan hill I tackled yesterday. My fastest two miles of the whole run :smiley:
    So I'm at 42/100 miles for the month.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for March

3/1 6.5 miles - 6.5 <<<< 1.5 w/u plus 8K race
    3/2 5 miles - 11.5
    3/3 8 miles - 19.5
    3/4 8 miles - 27.5 <<< new shoes today (ASICS Gel Noosa Tri 8's)
    3/5 6 miles - 33.5 <<< TM intervals (ice covered streets)
    3/6 8 miles - 41.5 <<< TM progressions @ recovery & easy paces
    3.7 15 miles - 56.5 <<< Madkin and Weeden Mtns long run (1,299 ft elevation gain)
    3/8 6.2 miles - 62.7

exercise.png

3/8 Weather was great today so I wanted to go our for a job. Was meaning to go recovery speed but ended at an easy pace instead. Plus I got to use my new Mizuno Wave Sayonara's.
  • akirkman86
    akirkman86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    3/2 = 4.56 miles
    3/3 = 2.26 miles
    3/4 = 3.52 miles
    3/5 = rest
    3/6 = 4.51 miles
    3/7 = rest
    3/8 = 8 miles
    3/9 = rest

TOTAL = 22.85/85

Feelin good today!

exercise.png
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Had an easy and relatively painless 18 miler this evening. Got a nice breeze and decided to bring along music for the first time in a very long time as I avoided crossing many roads and stayed on sidewalks for my route.

@4leighbee‌ all beach runners are insane. None of the local runners I know do it, just the tourists (who then regret it the next day). It is one thing to shift from side to side on a road incline, but most beach inclines are way too steep to be sustainable for more than a few miles before you end up straining a knee/leg.

3/1 - 17 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - 8 miles
    3/5 - 5 miles
    3/7 - 8 miles
    3/8 - 18 miles

Total: 61 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 119 miles
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    March Goal 75 miles

3/1 rest
    3/2 2.34 run, then I lifted and carried 25 60#bags of cement to help DH build an observation deck...
    3/3 rest because I couldn't walk....see above^^^
    3/4 3.44
    3/5 3.96
    3/6 3.35
    3/7 strength training (with bar and dumbbells, not cement bags!)
    3/8 3.85 followed by a whale watching cruise: zsie46vz2w9v.png

Total 16.94

(Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date)

exercise.png

• Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm in this month as I am injury free (fingers crossed!).

exercise.png
  • LMRoses
    LMRoses Posts: 148 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi there! I hope it's not too late to join in! I thought I was very limited in my walking abilities, but did a very enjoyable 4km walk today, and then saw this thread this evening so decided a goal is a great idea! I'm going to set myself a goal of 50km for the month. This could end up being way off, but I guess it's kind of a tester to see whether I'm setting it too high or low, and can gauge from here on.

exercise.png
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Goal: 130 miles

1/3 - 0
    2/3 - 5 miles (treadmill)
    3/3 - 0
    4/3 - 0
    5/3 - 10 miles (treadmill and wow was this boring)
    6/3 - 5 miles (treadmill)
    7/3 - 7.5 miles (outside, yay for weekends)
    8/3 - 13.25 miles (outside)

Total: 40.75 miles.

Managed to get some nice running done at the weekend, glad that it is getting lighter in the morning, means I can get out earlier and don't miss time with my daughter.
    Need to spend some more time planning what I'm eating during my run.
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    In for 35 miles - hopefully more!

3/1 - 4 miles
    3/9 - 3.5 miles

Finally - no ice and it was 32 degrees....a heat wave!

[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wp4mvpr/exercise.png [\img][/img]
  • rnjcb
    rnjcb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    3 miles this morning
    exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for March

3/1 6.5 miles - 6.5 <<<< 1.5 w/u plus 8K race
    3/2 5 miles - 11.5
    3/3 8 miles - 19.5
    3/4 8 miles - 27.5 <<< new shoes today (ASICS Gel Noosa Tri 8's)
    3/5 6 miles - 33.5 <<< TM intervals (ice covered streets)
    3/6 8 miles - 41.5 <<< TM progressions @ recovery & easy paces
    3.7 15 miles - 56.5 <<< Madkin and Weeden Mtns long run (1,299 ft elevation gain)
    3/8 6.2 miles - 62.7
    3/9 8.5 miles - 71.2

exercise.png

• Stoshew71
    Options
    Acria wrote: »
    Hi there! I hope it's not too late to join in! I thought I was very limited in my walking abilities, but did a very enjoyable 4km walk today, and then saw this thread this evening so decided a goal is a great idea! I'm going to set myself a goal of 50km for the month. This could end up being way off, but I guess it's kind of a tester to see whether I'm setting it too high or low, and can gauge from here on.

exercise.png

Join in, and welcome!

• Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    3/1 - 8 miles
    3/2 - strength training
    3/3 - 4 miles
    3/4 - 3.5 mile tempo run
    3/5 - 3 miles
    3/6 - 4 miles