New BMI calculator formula !!

Options

Replies

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Apparently I can weigh 98lbs and be considered healthy. I would look like death.

I was just going to post this. I was still in shock from that bit of news. I realize some people have much smaller frames, but I just can't imagine. I just met my trainer's fiancee this morning. She's my height and she is a tiny tiny thing. She weighs 118.

I know! It seems crazy. I looked too thin at 112 in high school. I do have a bigger frame..but still.
  • Smiley_Emi123
    Smiley_Emi123 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    earth_echo wrote: »

Thanks for posting!
  • Smiley_Emi123
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    Wow, I lost 1.5 BMI points overnight!

Hahah :smiley:
  • Smiley_Emi123
    Options
    Apparently I can weigh 98lbs and be considered healthy. I would look like death.

Doesn't consider your frame size tho is it's petite then you're looking at the lower end of healthy, medium middle and larger higher end
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yay, still obese. Shocker. :p;)
  • Smiley_Emi123
    Options
    Everyone different tho! That's while the healthy zone just pick what you like :) I could weight as little as 98 but I'm still set on 118 I used to be that size at my healthiest and had curves ect.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

Doesn't consider your frame size tho is it's petite then you're looking at the lower end of healthy, medium middle and larger higher end

I understand that. Even so, seeing 97.8lbs is a shocker.
  • Smiley_Emi123
    Options
    Only thing this does is put me from right at 25 BMI (overweight) to 24.8 (healthy)

I still have a bit of a 'pooch' to lose, but was already planning to lose ~10 more lbs then start toning a bit with my final weight being right around where I am now... partly because I'm at my goal size, and partly because I like where maintenance would likely be at this weight. I guess this could make me feel a bit better mentally about that? IDK.

That's awesome!! Good for you :smile: I can't wait to be there !!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10, and it says my BMI is now 26.42 as opposed to 27.10

Still overweight, but by 10lbs instead of 15. Minimal difference really even though I'm tall. I'll keep using the old standard :)
  • Smiley_Emi123
    Options
    nkeklund wrote: »
    this BMI calculator stinks. Not widely used it seems.

Nothing is ever adopted quickly, but it does seem more consistent with my previous results. What I thought was my ideal weight in the past and my current goal weight is smack dab in the middle the "normal" range with the new calculator, but it was near the top the normal range on the old calculator.

I agree. I was close to healthy with the old one and now at 26 and some there's some very obvious unhealthy and larger amounts of fat on my body left. I'm very short and always doubted my BMI now I see it much more consistent with where I am and where I'm going !
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    19.69 to 19.77.

Not much of a shocker. Anyone of average height isn't going to see much of a change.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    1. Not new. Jan 2013
    2. Not adopted by health care professionals
    3. Not published in any journal or peer reviewed
    4. Not new on the MFP forums:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/858853/new-bmi-formula-good-news-for-some
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1449735/theres-a-new-bmi-calculation-in-town-1-3-w-h-2-5
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Yikes...that's a sad calculator for shorties. Oh well, even the "old" bmi method was unkind to me since I'm more...solid lol.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    30.28 to 30.4. Meh. I'm still two pounds or so away from overweight.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    30.9 to 31.4. I just died. I was close enough to being overweight. Still obese anyway but naah I can do it.
  • EDS_Niki
    EDS_Niki Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh dear not this old thing again. Remember this doesn't take into account how much muscle mass you have so you can appear to me grossly overweight when in fact it is muscle
  • Smiley_Emi123
    Options
    30.9 to 31.4. I just died. I was close enough to being overweight. Still obese anyway but naah I can do it.

That's my attitude too ! :smile:
    niki_jt wrote: »
    Oh dear not this old thing again. Remember this doesn't take into account how much muscle mass you have so you can appear to me grossly overweight when in fact it is muscle

Definitely agree. It does give a good estimate for average non athletic individuals
  • Smiley_Emi123
    Options
    1. Not new. Jan 2013
    2. Not adopted by health care professionals
    3. Not published in any journal or peer reviewed
    4. Not new on the MFP forums:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/858853/new-bmi-formula-good-news-for-some
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1449735/theres-a-new-bmi-calculation-in-town-1-3-w-h-2-5

Lol I see it's been a year and a half apparently the news are bored so they're bringing it up again ? ;)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I didnt even move a single point.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options

Likewise, except mine says I can weigh 79 lbs. I understand I'm short, but I literally did look like death when I weighed so little