New BMI calculator formula !!

Options

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »
    Apparently I can weigh 98lbs and be considered healthy. I would look like death.

Likewise, except mine says I can weigh 79 lbs. I understand I'm short, but I literally did look like death when I weighed so little

Wow. 79#? That seems insane for any adult!

The low end of healthy bmi for my height is 105#. My sister who is the same hight with the same body structure was hospitalized with anorexia at 98#. I highly doubt that 105# is anywhere near healthy for me, lol! The high end of healthy for my high is 148#, and I'm a skinny size 2 at 150#. My goal weight is 170# or about a size 5/6. Which has me at nearly obese bmi
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to see mine's gone up. My boyfriend already says that my BMI's getting too low and I probably shouldn't lose anymore weight, now I can show him this and say, "See! It's not so low after all. I'm fine to lose a few more pounds."

Unfortunately there are 2 big problems with my plan. The first being that, as said, this is very old and doesn't seem to be becoming the new way of measuring BMI. The second being that my BMI only went up by 0.4.
  • annavalente
    annavalente Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yayy so after losing 54lbs I was sitting at a healthy bmi....nope..now im overweight again! :s
  • Zumba_Luvah
    Zumba_Luvah Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I went from being overweight at 168 to being obese at 168 lol
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My BMI went up 0.8 points. Still in the healthy range though. Gotta love being 5'2".
    It did say I could still be healthy at 96 pounds...I'm pretty sure the last time I was 96 pounds was when I was in elementary school.
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It has me as over weight, no surprise really but then I don't put a great deal of value in BMI. what is surprising is that at 5'8" 120lbs would be considered in the healthy range,really? for a man?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    KingRat79 wrote: »
    It has me as over weight, no surprise really but then I don't put a great deal of value in BMI. what is surprising is that at 5'8" 120lbs would be considered in the healthy range,really? for a man?

Why should that be surprising? 5'8" is kinda short, for a man.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Why should that be surprising? 5'8" is kinda short, for a man.

120 pounds is ridiculous on a 5'8" frame.

• KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    because 120lbs for a man of 5'8" would seem incredibly low
  • annavalente
    annavalente Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My BMI went up 0.8 points. Still in the healthy range though. Gotta love being 5'2".
    It did say I could still be healthy at 96 pounds...I'm pretty sure the last time I was 96 pounds was when I was in elementary school.

5'1" here.. apparently 6st 10 (94lbs) would be healthy for me... emmmmm no thanks! Lol
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    This looks a bit ridiculous, considering the so-called new BMI formula would classify a 93-pound woman at my height of 5'1" as "healthy". Um, under most circumstances, nope.

Either way, BMI is a rough gauge. I'd say stick to the standard formula and then make whatever judgments you need to based on muscle mass and comfort zone.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

120 lbs is considered underweight using both calculators, so I'm not sure what the point is. The thing you should remember is that BMI isn't saying that people's ideal weight is at the low end of the normal range. For the average 5'8" man, their ideal weight is more likely to be 145 lbs, but some will be higher and some lower and they still won't have the health risk factors it is supposed to screen for.

Interestingly, under the current system, I could be 156lbs and not be considered underweight. At 6'5", I look like I'm ill when I'm at 190lbs. But the new formula would have me underweight below 169 and overweight above 229. The old formula puts me at overweight if I am above 211.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9", tall for a woman. The "new" BMI scale dropped me 0.62 points.
  • Smiley_Emi123
    Smiley_Emi123 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

120 lbs is considered underweight using both calculators, so I'm not sure what the point is. The thing you should remember is that BMI isn't saying that people's ideal weight is at the low end of the normal range. For the average 5'8" man, their ideal weight is more likely to be 145 lbs, but some will be higher and some lower and they still won't have the health risk factors it is supposed to screen for.

Interestingly, under the current system, I could be 156lbs and not be considered underweight. At 6'5", I look like I'm ill when I'm at 190lbs. But the new formula would have me underweight below 169 and overweight above 229. The old formula puts me at overweight if I am above 211.

I agree with you, it is in my understanding that this new formula doesn't change much for average height but when you come from the low/high end of the spectrum there is so much more/less bones, skin, ect. That and everyone is different, our society is also distorted into what is "healthy" must of us find overweight normal. Obese overweight. And morbidly obese just obese.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Mine only differs by .15 and says I can lose 10 more lbs and still be within healthy range. That's a drop of a few pounds from standard calculator. I'd be a twig! lol
  • lizek316
    lizek316 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This doesn't take age and body frame into account.
    Mine only changed by 1, but I find it hard to believe that 109 is a healthy body weight for me. This seems like it would be under weight.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Wow! They fixed all the problems associated with using BMI as an individual metric :wink:
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    wtf its saying my 'healthy' range at 5'1 is 93;8-126,8lbs. I would never look healthy at 93lbs... this is really bad cause now lots of girls will use the excuse that they are still 'healthy' and diet down too far :S
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    This looks a bit ridiculous, considering the so-called new BMI formula would classify a 93-pound woman at my height of 5'1" as "healthy". Um, under most circumstances, nope.

Either way, BMI is a rough gauge. I'd say stick to the standard formula and then make whatever judgments you need to based on muscle mass and comfort zone.

Sorry, I just saw that you beat me to it lol

...note to self- read thread before posting
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I lost a whole point with the new BMI calculator :( It says a healthy weight range for my height is 101 to 137 pounds. At 128 pounds I feel like I could maybe lose another 5 to 10 pounds but anything more than that I'd look and feel like death.