• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    love your new outlook and way to go!!
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I still don't condone the mob mentality and ganging up on people who post here when they're at their lowest point and emotionally frayed. I think some threads devolve into mocking and LOLing right away. Some people just come here knowing nothing and looking for people with similar experiences. Good for you for coming back, but I wonder how many people never do.

Dissenting opinions and unapologetic honesty =/= "mob mentality." In fact, there are several people here--usmcmp is one of them--who consistently answer the same questions and dispell the same myths, day in and day out. Does it get old? Yeah. Sometimes you have to laugh to get over the sheer redundancy of the culture of the forums here.

People come here looking for quick fixes and shortcuts. There are not many others who are willing to stand up and be the honest ones and tell them it's not possible. It's often thankless, but nobody is obligated to do it. They do it because they want to help. So you should probably think about the real mentality of that mob.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    WOW! Congratulations OP on a huge breakthrough and great insight. You will go far with that!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    "We" are only "mean" because we want to help. And more than likely we've been through the same stuff. Why would we want you to make the same mistake? And really, how can I support a thought that I don't truly believe will work?

If someone comes on here asking about something I KNOW WILL NOT WORK, why would I sit there and say "sure, go for it"? Other than to see the train crash...

Thanks OP for coming out and letting us know that we aren't all that bad.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    OP, you're awesome.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thank you for coming back, OP! It's really hard to return to a place like this after a post like that, so kudos for you. :flowerforyou:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Great post and well done for coming back! I have no doubt that your change in mindset has put you on the path to achieving your health and fitness goals. I fully expect to see your story in the Success Stories board soon :smiley:
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I still don't condone the mob mentality and ganging up on people who post here when they're at their lowest point and emotionally frayed. I think some threads devolve into mocking and LOLing right away. Some people just come here knowing nothing and looking for people with similar experiences. Good for you for coming back, but I wonder how many people never do.

If someone runs away after hearing answers they didn't want to hear then they were doomed from the start.
  • missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. In all honesty, I've been dieting my whole life. Lost 50 lbs using MFP in 2012 and gained it back. I was living in denial. But someone responded to my initial post "you're at a weight now that's heavier you've ever been (including when 9 months pregnant) and you're trying to find internet strangers tell you that you are being honest with your diary and calorie log? I find that hard to believe and think you're lying". The responses that I thought were "mean" were, in fact, not. I regret deleting the post, I do. I wasn't being honest with myself, I get that.
    I believe I felt like I was being mobbed because everyone was saying the same thing, pretty much I was doing it wrong. That's a hard pill to swallow. Not to say that there aren't people on here just looking for drama and to make fun of people, I only felt like those responses came after I started having, for lack of a better word, a temper tantrum.
    Those "mean" responses had an affect on me. Personally, I appreciate someone having the balls to tell me the truth, even though it wasn't what I wanted to hear. It was what I needed to hear. Ok enough rambling.:)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    missyjg99 wrote: »
    Thank you all. In all honesty, I've been dieting my whole life. Lost 50 lbs using MFP in 2012 and gained it back. I was living in denial. But someone responded to my initial post "you're at a weight now that's heavier you've ever been (including when 9 months pregnant) and you're trying to find internet strangers tell you that you are being honest with your diary and calorie log? I find that hard to believe and think you're lying". The responses that I thought were "mean" were, in fact, not. I regret deleting the post, I do. I wasn't being honest with myself, I get that.
    I believe I felt like I was being mobbed because everyone was saying the same thing, pretty much I was doing it wrong. That's a hard pill to swallow. Not to say that there aren't people on here just looking for drama and to make fun of people, I only felt like those responses came after I started having, for lack of a better word, a temper tantrum.
    Those "mean" responses had an affect on me. Personally, I appreciate someone having the balls to tell me the truth, even though it wasn't what I wanted to hear. It was what I needed to hear. Ok enough rambling.:)

tumblr_ml7c40V57q1rs4qpso1_500.gif
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Who knows, maybe some of the responses you got were actually mean in nature. BUT I find that most people on this site are pretty positive and supportive and that is why I keep coming back here. There are a lot of cool people here.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mbcm91Yvzf1rvn6njo1_500_zps802fb3b7.gif

Great attitude. You're going to be alright.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    latest?cb=20120324224647
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    The good news is that you were able to do so well in 2012 that I'm confident you can do it again in 2015.
  • jj_steele
    jj_steele Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bravo! I did not see your first post, but I am so glad that you were able to learn from your experience and move on. Most people here understand, at least' a little of what you are going through and want to help. I wish you continued success.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Good for you, OP! MFP is full of great information and incredible people. Best of luck in reaching your goals. You'll get there! :)
  • MzOnree
    MzOnree Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Missy, I'm glad you came back to MFP. It really is an awesome site and most people want to be helpful. Unfortunately, there are also some "not so nice" people on this site. So happy you came back and good luck to you. Your baby is adorable! :)
  • Laineymacksmom
    Laineymacksmom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're giving it another shot and I'm sorry you had that experience. I wish mean people would just realize how harmful they truly are. Your post is great.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're giving it another shot and I'm sorry you had that experience. I wish mean people would just realize how harmful they truly are. Your post is great.

:huh:

Except they weren't harmful. :huh:

I think you need to reread the post.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Love this post so much!