WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good morning Everyone! :flowerforyou:

Going to try something new here this week... Posting a couple of times through out my day. This way I get to talk more personally with each of you while spending a few minutes at time. Instead of sitting for hours playing catch up and forgetting who said what. I'm a terrible note taker and feel like a cheater when I take somebody elses who took the time and re-word it. :s I did that once I'M SORRY!! :o<3

Barbie: There was never a doubt in any of minds that you wouldnt meet your goals! ;)

Jane: YaY! I'm so jelly. How truly wonderful to have snuggled with all 5! I love the new names, there are as beautiful as the new baby girls are!

Yannie: Impact is out for me too due to the bone fusion in both my feet. I had never realized just how much that would effect the exercise area. Running I knew I had to say goodbye too. But it was the littler things like jumping jacks, burpee's ( okay I dont miss burpee's at ALL ;) )

Janet in SC: I know its been a while since ive been in the states. But what about those pre-made microwavable thingies Like Amy's ( i hear she is darned healthy. ) Weight Watchers stuffs, lean cuisines? have a couple in the room for "just in case". A couple of cans soup, some tuna, a loaf of bread, and some crackers??

Michele: My oldest daughter is like your son. It comes in waves sometimes i hear from her a couple of times a week and then nothing for months and months. The longest she went was a year and half. I feel your pain ~ Hugz my friend~

She's pregnant now and I know she will use the baby to hurt me further. Apparently she issues with me and how I parented. My other 2 tell me to just ignore her she is like that with all of them.

JawboneUP24 user here and I love it! Mine is rain and shower proof, tells me how I slept, lightly or deeply. Many activities and alarms, power naps, stop watch, idle alert, activity alert and a smart coach. Syncs with my smart phone, MFP and other Jawbone users. It was a birthday gift from my husband last year. I know I can walk and hour and 10 min. 3.5 miles and not hit 10,000 steps. usually between 8-9000 steps depending on my pace. The running census on MFP is 2500 steps is a mile.

I have been looking at there new model and it has a Heart Rate monitor plus its good in the pool up to 10 meters. Also many niftiies in the works that will be downloadable.

Thank you so much for answering my questions. I am really enjoying hearing about everybodys stats & starts! :D

Okay thats all I got for now. Off to do a little Classic stretch before my walk this morning!

Sincerely,
    Sassy aus Austria
    • If you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.

• Being Fat is Hard.
    Losing Weight is Hard.
    Maintenance is Hard.

Choose Your Hard.

• macmatilda
    macmatilda Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Susan from Anchorage, AK. Been an intermittent fitness pal user and am just now finding out about the social networking aspect. Not sure if I'm posting correctly.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    macmatilda, you are doing just fine. Next step is to do it tomorrow!

Sassy, I think every foster story is different. Like I said yesterday, my daughter fostered a dog because he had behavioral issues and was unadoptable. So she had to work on those issues until he was more comfortable around people, especially men. The agency I fostered my cat, Melody from gets all their animals from animal control. Never know what kind of situation they have there. Some are very ill, may have heart worms or other health issues, may have been burned, purposefully or used in a dog fighting ring. With Another chance for animals, they have an agreement with one of the vets that some one fosters an animal then all the vet care is free. So while I fostered Melody and had to take her to the vet, it was free. But then once you sign those adoption papers, she is all yours. This agency has a foster to adopt program and that is what we did. We weren't sure we wanted her since we also had had a cat that died. She was vicious to anyone else but not to us. So we wanted to see if she worked out. Of course it did. So some fosters take a long time if it is a medical issue, others just until a person decides if they want. Oh, some are fostered if the Momma cat or dog is killed and the babies have to be cared for. those are the ones that take dedication. You thought you were done with every 2 hour feedings and now you have 4 kitties to feed.

I have a fit bit one. It is the one that you clip on your belt, bra or just take it off the clip and put in your pocket. Mine records my walking steps and just being alive calories. It's surprising how many calories you burn at night just by living.

Beth in Me, I do believe that is the hotel I fell in love with on my search for a New England vacation. My personal preference would have been a bed and breakfast because I would have loved that social and personal aspect. But it is to social for Charlie

Mary in Mn I agree with you about Sylvia. I don't think she should have been released from the hospital. She went from having a tube keeping her stomach empty so nothing could go through her gut to being home in no time flat. Sylvia, get thee to the ER if you are feeling bad! We love you to much

Jane, I bet you were in Grandma heaven. I bet you have sweet dreams tonight. I only have 2 of them and they live in the same house so I see all mine together all the time.

Lesley, what is a mural there for you. Here in the states it is a large painting like on the side of a building.

meg, you say you had drama but it didn't involve you. I believe it does involve you. No matter how hard we try to distance ourselves from our children who are doing bad stuff, they are still our children. And then there is your innocent grand baby in the mix and it isn't that precious little girls fault at all.

Janet in Myrtle Beach. Are you the only one in your hotel room using this little fridge? I would buy some whole wheat bread and real thin deli meat and cheese, fruit, baby carrots or any other fresh veggies you like. Would they allow a George Foreman grill? I like to grill chicken, make my grilled cheese sandwiches on it, etc.

For all those that are still dealing with the piles of snow, the Iditarod race has started in Alaska and they had to haul IN snow for the ceremonial start. They have also had to change the route because of lack of snow and non safe frozen rivers.

Oh, my story. I almost forgot, maybe because it is getting forgettable. I started this process about 2 1/2 years ago. I was 64 then and I thought 5'6 1/2". Found out later I was 5'4 1/2". I started out at 232.8 pounds. Dr put me on 1300 calories due to the diabetes. Like all the others, lost weight pretty quickly since i was in the gym a lot of really sticking to my diet. I was a diabetic so I learned I had to stick to it because I wanted to get rid of a lot of my pills. As I went along, the weight was more difficult to come off. Then came last October or so. I was stuck on 60 pound weight loss. I guess I got discouraged and started to exercise less and less. I still stay on basically the 1300 calories but do eat extra at time, like pop tarts, Milky Ways and those bad things. So I find myself at a 50 pound weight loss now. I weight more now than I did at this time last year. I feel like a hypocrite at times in here. :'( But I keep plugging along. I need to get my touche off the couch and get moving.

Forgot to add my house selling adventure many years ago. We thought we had a nice house. But it wan't our forever home, was a started and we wanted another child. We thought we could avoid a broker fee by selling it ourselves. Um, don't do it. So we found an agent, she didn't act very aggresive with it, so at the end of her term got another one who was equally non agressive. Tried on our own again and finally a rental agency bought it and rented it out. We took a loss from the original price but we were paying 2 mortgages for 4 months then and just wanted to get rid of it.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Jane: Your grandchildren bring you joy. You are a lucky woman. I’ll get to see my grandchildren later this week if things go as planned. I can hardly wait. :heart:

Yanniejannie: I didn’t know about your health issues. I hope you’re able to keep them stable and enjoy your life. We have bookworm tendencies in common. I just finished a lovely romance set in a fictional town on the Oregon coast.

Lesley: I’m happy that you’re able to share your friend Betty’s puppy. My current dog is eight years old and I love him to pieces, but I still miss the dog we had before him. I think I understand your feelings about Mildred Beagle. It was a big loss.

Meg: It is nice that you had a good time with DD #2. It sounds like DD #1 is still in drama mode. You have my respect. You & your DH are handling a difficult situation with as much grace as anyone could.

Barbie: Chicken Pot Pie is worth breaking the rules. Yum! All it takes is some exercise to compensate. I’m happy you’re having a good time.

Rori: Your travel schedule is a real challenge. I’m always happy to see your posts.

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC: I like to start a travel day with high protein and fruit.
    I often choose hardboiled eggs, which keep well in a refrigerator and combine them with a mini muffin or fruit, and coffee. (Coffeeholic here.) After that I make the best choices I can & use portion control with what the day brings.

Lillian: Curling sounds like so much fun. I saw it on TV when I was a kid, but I’ve never seen it in person.

Susan from Anchorage: Welcome to a great group!

I sat in the sunshine and watched the river today. It was lovely. I walked the dog, too, and that is about it. Something I cooked in last night’s dinner has had my tummy upset most of the day. I have two potential culprits in mind. I won’t be cooking that dish the same way next time.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • sweetnsassyfied
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Joyce Indiana
    I feel like a hypocrite at times in here. :'( But I keep plugging along.

Don't you dare feel like a hypocrite!! It's the PLUGGING ALONG part that counts! You just keep doing what your doing love. That ol fake it till you make it until your mojo comes back. It's all good!! Hugz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    morning all,
    sorry I didnt really check in yesterday.
    It was one crazy day..especially with the time change...got up at 5 to go grocery shopping.. I was good and bought around the perimeter of the store. veggies,fruit,yogurt...
    yesterday I ate horribly ,didnt even log , did go check on my DFIL, and he is doing ok,
    came back and a friend of mine came over and gave a quote for doing part of the work in the bathroom and then Tom and I were off to home improvement centers, to return stuff and look for stuff.
    amazingly he brought up that he wanted to change the light over the breakfast bar and over the dining room table.. they are quite dated.
    so at Home Depot we found a nice brushed nickel chandelier with glass shades and one pendant light, that were on clearance. chandelier was originally 189.00 it was 72.00, as it was a floor model, and the pendant light was 25.00, Tom said we will look at Lowes, and we didnt find anything, so went to another Home depot, the are discontinued in the store still available online but more expensive..
    sooooo I had to drop Tom back at the house. I was totally exsausted at this point, but went back over and bought the 2 on clearance and then had to go an hour away to get one more pendant light, it was new still in box, and since it was the last one we got it for the same price as the other.so for less than 130.00 we got a chandelier and 2 pendant lights. I made horrible choices eating yesterday and ,it showed last night woke up at 11:30 last night and fell back asleep as Tom was getting up at 2 am, then got up at 5:45 .. dont know if I will get down to see DFIL right at breakfast time ,but will go see him before work today..
    Sylvia ~ so glad you are back home and on the mend...
    I will check in later
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies!!
    Like many of you, I read all your posts but can't remember enough to comment to everyone. Please know that I cheer your victories and send you hugs for your struggles even though I may not acknowlege you personally.

Yesterday afternoon didn't go at all as I had planned (I am a planner, in fact have a degree in urban planning!). But I pride myself on being able to be spontaneous. I had plans with a friend to walk the mall and then she asked if I would accompany her to a short event. We came upon a thrift store after the event and I bought a beautiful Ann Taylor sweater for $4.59!! We then decided to stop into a little bar for a glass of wine and wound up ordering nachos. Not on the diet plan but I thorougly enjoyed them along with the great company of my friend.

Today it is back to work and Jake the rescue dog is here with me today. We are looking foward to taking our walk a little later, it is above freezing and sunny, yeah!! I need to walk off those nachos!!

Have a good day everyone!
    Chris in sunny MA
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hi All!,
    I'm back from southern Texas where I attended my Army son's graduation and promotion ceremonies. Air travel was crazy with all sorts of delays. But we finally got there and finally got back. :)

Glad to be home so I can get back in my routine. So much easier when I can pack my lunch, cook my own meals, and exercise with my own equipment.

I hope you all are doing well and keeping positive. Good attitude makes such a difference!

Diana in Northeast Indiana
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    Mary in MN: Paul Bunyan had a girlfriend? Who knew? I guess I thought it was just him and his blue ox, Babe!

DH still has a cousin in Grand Rapids, but he hasn't been back since his mom passed away in 2010. I tried to get him to go last summer to his 50th high school class reunion, but he wasn't interested. His family is way scattered with a brother in Oklahoma, brother in Texas, cousins in Canada, New York and North Dakota. his family is not close at all. We keep in touch with some via Facebook and Christmas cards but we don't visit them and they don't visit us. Totally weird!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! This is going to be a very busy week for me. my DMIL is turning 90 next month and decided to bleach her teeth. she also looked up people that were in her graduating class and found one in Grand Forks which she made plans to go and visit Wednesday and to top that off she also has an appointment to get her hair done all of this is on Wednesday! so I will be spending a good part of three days with her way up north near Canada. I plan on doing my exercise Tuesday before I leave wednesday will be a free day then Thursday I'm hoping to get home early enough to do my normal exercise for that day. it is hard to maintain when you are away from home. that is why my word for the month is prioritize, I have to prioritize what I do in my life which includes making sure that I take time for myself and get my exercise and diet in line with my goals!

Susan - welcome! just come and join in to the conversation's!

Joyce in Indiana - 50 lbs, that's fantastic! Just continue on with what you're doing and you will be happy and healthy!

Katla in beautiful Northwest Oregon - it sounds like you live in a beautiful area! hope you feel better today.

Grandmallie - you are like me, my D H & I always walk the perimeter of the store and seldom ever go down any of the Isles unless it is for TP or other household items. glad to hear you were so fortunate with your purchases yesterday!

Chris in MA - I'm glad that you enjoyed your day with your friend! It is fun going to the thrift store and scoring a great piece of clothing! as I have progressed downward I have had to purchase jean and my favorite brand is silver. I have been lucky to find sizes of them to fit me along the way!

Diana NE Indiana - congratulations to your son's achievement! Glad you made it back safely.

Drkatiebug - yes Paul Bunyan did have a girlfriend but she wasn't very attractive! My husband sales territory goes over to Grand Rapids. if you do ever come up it would be fun to get together.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota

• nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Wow! There was a lot to catch up on. I really need to be better about reading posts over the weekends. I will say that, for this past weekend, I stayed busy and didn't spend any time on the computer.

Congrats, Jane, on the new granddaughter!

Sylvia - I hope things get a lot better for you very soon. Hopefully, the gastro will have some answers for you.

I don't remember who it was who posted about the 12-year-old who attempted suicide. My son was 11 when he was hospitalized for suicide prevention. It is an indescribable experience!

My best female friend who lives in SC was visiting her brother who lives just a few miles from me this past week. Unfortunately, he is very jealous of her spending time with me (don't you think 50+ year olds could do better?!) so we had to cancel plans a couple of times. But, we did get to spend a good portion of the day together on Saturday. We shopped some and I got some great things for very little (ex: 2 dresses for $3 total) and we enjoyed brunch together. I ate an enormous meal with lots of things I don't normally eat, but didn't eat again until dinner time. I still stayed under calorie goal AND, I enjoyed and savored every bite!!

On Sunday, I went to church after eating a good breakfast (I weighed my cereal in the bowl, covered it with plastic wrap, laid out my spoon, and set out the measuring cup for the milk on Saturday night), came home and ate a nice lunch, called the girl child and invited her to walk with me in the park (a sacrifice on my part because I walk MUCH faster than she does, but I wanted to get her outside and moving), returned a lost cat, made a BIG trip to Walmart (Michele, they don't have wheat OR oat bran!), did some laundry, ate dinner, got things out the freezer for lunches/dinners this week, made a pot of chicken-barley soup for a church function on Wednesday, and prepped my breakfast, lunch, and snacks so they were ready to pack quickly this morning. I got in 12,000 steps and stayed within calorie goal, so I was quite pleased with myself! I think the sunshine really helped my mood!

Miss Spot decided to go outside yesterday evening. The weather was so nice that I could open the back door wide enough for her to go in and out and leave it open. She went in and out several times but must have decided to go out and stay awhile. Once it got good and dark, it was too cool to leave the door open anymore, so I just kept an eye on it. I went out and called her four different times, but she didn't come in. I went out one last time and announced, "Miss Spot, I am going to bed now. If you don't come right now, you are out for the night!" She didn't respond so I headed upstairs to get ready for bed. It was about three minutes later when I heard her scratching at the front door. I went down and opened the door for her and she looked mighty pleased with herself. She was licking her lips so I'm thinking some little creature was her supper. It makes me happy that she is adjusting and can find her way back home again!

I have told my daughter that, if she wants to go walking with me again tonight, she needs to be at my house at 6:15 p.m. and ready to go. I plan to leave work at 6 p.m., drive straight home, change into exercise gear, and hit the pavement! I also want to remember to turn on MapMyWalk so that I can get a distance idea of how far it is around the street and parking lot section of the park.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Carol in cloudy but warm NC
  • mto1211
    mto1211 Posts: 7
    Options
    Mary from Michigan-HI i had a great February! I finally decided to fork out the money for a personal trainer and it was a good investment as I am learning the proper way to exercise without hurting my back and neck which I have problems with. I haven't lost a lot of weight but am getting a lot stronger and am exercising a lot more than I ever have been in my life! Hope March is as good!!
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Dr.Katie ~ Thanks for telling me I needed to turn on the DLS on my atomic clock.

Michelle ~ I don't exactly know what an atomic clock is but it sets itself and you are supposed to place it on a north facing wall.

My Pom refuses to eat dog food. All he will eat is mostly cooked chicken and occasionally some beef or pork. Evidently, he has a very sensitive tummy and this AM rewarded me with a mess to clean up on the screened in porch. If anyone has a suggestion on how to convert him to dog food, I would appreciate it. DH spoiled him when he was a pup feeding him off his plate.

Warm but damp here. For some reason, it feels colder inside the house than on the outside.

(((Sylvia)))

Mary, got the 8 hour diet book. Here I was thinking you could eat whatever during an 8 hr period. But, it says to eliminate sugar, bread, potatoes, rice and wine. All the thinks I love!

Carol ~ Marietta, GA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi all!

Jane - all those lovely grandchildren! Lucky five times over! <3

Carol - great to see you busy and happy! Your schedule makes me feel tired!

Alison - lighting is so important for a good look. Great bargains!

Katla - Have fun with the grandchildren! <3

Rori - Wow! That's some schedule! ! ! ! ! ! I think only 2 lbs is fantastic and some of that will be water. :flowerforyou: I truly don't know how you do it all.

Well, the goulash is cooked and the tart is in the oven! I had a lot of trouble with the filo as I bought the packet when we moved in here over 4 years ago and I never used it. :o It all fell to bits when I tried to line the flan tin, but I patched it together and it looks great.. I've just got it out of the oven.
    Tomorrow I will make the double salmon wheels and then I'm all done. :D

DH went to the doctor this morning about his hernia. She is referring him to the hospital and said that, as he is so active, they should do a repair. She said he had the pulse of an athlete. <3 Hope the appointment isn't too far ahead. This morning he had a new digital scale delivered for his bathroom. I'm sticking to my analogue one as I know where I am with it and I like to cheat by leaning backwards. As I've always leant backwards at least I am consistent! ! ! ! ! ! :laugh:
    I have put back the 1 lb I lost on holiday so will have to be extra vigilant for a bit. Today I ate the trimmings from the goats cheese I put in the tart, but I'm logging it.

Quite weary now. Cup of tea required! Tonight we are having DH's favourite, mushroom risotto, with a side salad. I also put peas in the risotto.

Bye for now! Heather in Hampshire UK where something has dug up and eaten our crocuses! ! ! ! ! :'(
    27681614.png

(Ticker over reading by 1 lb )
  • SelenaP63
    SelenaP63 Posts: 61 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good Morning Sunshine!

What a difference the sun makes… I can feel myself coming alive! Anyone else feel like that?

Good news! I'm right on track for reaching my goal weight by mid-July. And I wasn't going to, but decided to measure myself again as it has been 4 weeks since I started. That was also very encouraging and I'm glad I did. Half an inch here, 2 inches there is tangible proof that my efforts are worth it. Happy dance in my house? (Wonder how many calories I can burn doing the happy dance?)

Last night I enjoyed some popcorn with coconut oil and salt and probably ate only half of what I'd normally eat. It was a nice treat, but I realized afterward my body has changed enough that next time I will eat half that, because I will be more comfortable. It's pretty cool that our bodies are so resilient and quick to respond to 'proper care and feeding'.

Sassy aus Austria – Are you doing Classical Stretch with Miranda Esmonde-White? If so, me too! Love her program so much! Also, I'm sorry your daughter is being distant with you. I've got a son who literally does not acknowledge me for my birthday or Mother's Day and yet, if I'm in the same room is him, is friendly and welcoming… very strange. I confess that kind of hurts. Quick background – ridiculously messy divorce, teenage children expected to take sides by their dad (who happened to be a big spender and more comfortable being their 'friend and confidante' than being a parent). Yep, they all pretty much chose him.

My oldest daughter had nothing to do with me for a few years, including getting married without me knowing, and then she got pregnant. I called her and told her I would love to help when baby came – if she wanted me to come. She ended up asking me, so I went and made sure to maintain a respectful, but helpful relationship, leaving after a cordial but brief visit with her new husband (who was good buddies with her dad) when he'd get home from work. I cooked, did laundry, offered suggestions, but always respecting her role as wife and mother of her home.

It's amazing how becoming a mother fosters a new respect for the mother who gave you birth. She now has 3 little ones and I went to help with each one. Her husband has come to adore and respect me and my girl loves me again. Nope, I was never perfect, but we've had many long talks and been able to replace any less than wonderful memories with new positive ones. Out of my 5 grown children, she's the only one who faithfully remembers me and acknowledges my existence on holidays. (I do get a couple of texts or FB notes from a couple of the others.)

One son has also warmed up considerably since he and his wife have had a little one. I tell you, parenthood has a way of softening hard hearts and opening closed minds. I hope that happens for you, Sassy.

Sharon in Lethbridge – I was born in Edmonton, AB, raised out by Stettler and lived for many years in Ponoka. I have many good friends in southern AB (Cardston, Lethbridge and area). We might even know some of the same people. :)

I didn't mean to write so much, and many apologies to those of you who've had to wade through this, but being an imperfect mother shunned by the children one still has stretch marks from is a hurtful thing and I wanted to let Sassy (and anyone else for whom this is all too familiar) know that there Is hope.

Selena
    Utah

21174409.png
  • lauriegm84
    lauriegm84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this group. I'm 52, 5"8, 211 lbs... I live in Hemet, CA... Married, proud granmother of 4. 3 girls and 1 boy... I have been on MFP for about 2 months now. Anyone that wants to add me, please do. My activity of choice right now is walking (10,000-12,000 a day) and riding my 7 speed beach cruiser. I'm looking for peaople to share my steps with, encourage others and have others encourage me.
  • lauriegm84
    lauriegm84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my neck, shoulders, low back and feet. I'm 9 months post toe shortening surgery on my rt foot, due to my toes turning inward....
  • sweetnsassyfied
    Options
    Selena Utah I am so grateful you did take the time. :'( <~~ That is the closest I could get to bitter sweet tears... Our Stories very very similar as far as the court battle. He who has the money won. Oh I wont bore anyone with the terrible details of my woe. But again, Thank you. Thank you so much! Hugz

Heather filo dough lasts 4 years??!!?? Good to know. Though I washed I had found that out sooner. I defrosted my freezer back in January. lol

Sincerely,
    Sassy aus Austria
    • If you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.

• Being Fat is Hard.
    Losing Weight is Hard.
    Maintenance is Hard.

Choose Your Hard.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    Joyce Indiana
    I feel like a hypocrite at times in here. :'( But I keep plugging along.

Don't you dare feel like a hypocrite!! It's the PLUGGING ALONG part that counts! You just keep doing what your doing love. That ol fake it till you make it until your mojo comes back. It's all good!! Hugz

YEAH!
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hello,
    Sun is shinning and finally able to enjoy a little time outside during my lunch break.

Warning, the following is about animal fostering so if you're not interested, please feel free to skip. :smile: I think Sassy asked about getting more information.

First, all animal rescues operate independently so each can set up their own procedures. The ones I've been involved with for the last 16 years worked pretty much the same way. We rescue animals from a high-kill shelter (meaning most of the animals that go in never come back out), usually on their last days or sometimes within minutes of getting the needle. Some of the better shelters try to advertise their animals and bring them to adoption events so the public can see and meet them. However, some shelters don't.

The rescue groups can only take help as many as their foster home network can handle so fostering literally saves lives. Many times we get calls but just can't help. That is the hardest part. As a foster, groups may offer different things, but mainly the group will pay to have the animal vetted, spayed/neutered, provide food, etc. in exchange for a home environment where the animal can live until a permanent home is found. A good rescue group will try to match up a foster dog with the best environment for both the dog and the family. Some want a smaller dog, some a larger dog, some an older dog, some a running buddy, etc.

Our group holds adoption events and we like the foster mom or dad to bring their foster so the public can see them. We also post their pictures on various websites including Facebook and Petfinder.com. We have an application for the potential adopter to complete, we call their current or past vet if they have one, ask for references and do a 'home check'. Our foster family has the final say about someone adopting their foster as we feel they know them best. This is especially important when it concerns children and other animals in the home.

The length of time for a foster is hard to determine. Some we've had that we thought would find a home in a short time have taken several months and some longer. Really no way of knowing. Some dogs require more things, such as fencing, no other animals, or older or no children. We have had some issues where someone said they would foster but after a month or two said they no longer wanted to do it. This is especially hard for us as we count on those homes and usually don't have another place for the dog to go. One option is to let them know you're available to foster a foster's dogs when they want to go away for a weekend or on a holiday. That way you will know exactly the timeframe you will have the foster dog with you.

Sorry so long but hard to put it all down in words. As I said, these are some of the procedures here and not sure how they would necessarily work in other countries.

Going to take myself outside for another quick walk before getting back to work. :wink:

Tina from MD