WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I will do these two pages I just read right now before it's time to go out to coffee.

Cindy
    Anyone who calls moving snow moderate never had to do it.

Sylvia
    You may get out of hospital today but to go home and rest i'm sure.
    The grandaughter's will understand if you can't go to a concert tonight.
    You have to take care of you.

Vicki
    Your a better women than I am if you let hubby's x stay at your house. I'm afraid they would have to find another place to meet.

For all of you with roof problems. My nephew was here with some kind of contraction he put together it's a frame with a chute you pull the snow of the roof and it falls in your truck. He came and did the porch roof the house it self has a tin roof and the smallest of sun makes it fall off. It's a good peaked roof.

Started my day off right. Got weighed and seen what I will call a little fluctuation. +.2 but after a 2 lb loss in a day that was kind of expected. So I got on the wii did 14 min. and 677 steps. So going to take care of that little gain right now. Won't let it become 1 lb. because sometimes a lb joins the other unwanted lbs and gets stuborn making them hard to lose. Hockey day for me so that keeps me out of the kitchen and gives me walking time at arena. When they pass the zamboni I walk behind the bleachers so aiming for over 4,000 steps today instead of 3,000. I know not much but i'm sure before fitbit I was maybe getting in around 1,000 steps. So moving more.
    The more you move the more you lose.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    GTJanuary wrote: »
    Does anyone here use Bragg's as a weight loss aid?

And then there are the people that are eating fermented foods?

So, isn't vinegar like a fermented food also?

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi Pat, yeah, I meant any kind of official handicap symbol or whatever. (My family also lives in Ohio!)
    Sometimes you get people who park in handicapped spaces "just for a minute". Irks the heck out of me.

Cynthia
  • MMinMD
    MMinMD Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    In my many years of yo yo dieting (without much success) I get 20-30 lbs off, then get busy and stop paying attention, and put it all back on. I've usually focused on limiting calories using one scheme or another.

This time I am focusing on a change of habits to healthy foods, meaning lots of fruit and veg, and moderate carbs, and more exercise. My primary goal, at 281 and with failing parts, is still weight loss. But this time it has to be complete, and permanent.

So far so good. My other change is in support. Blogging and reading this thread every day. Acknowledging to family, esp the skinny husband, that I'm working on this, just doing it and not worrying about ridicule. My sister and I are checking on each other daily- did u work out? Did you do well on eating? She is next door!

This am I saw the scale without have to push in my belly, for the first since I started.

Thank you everyone!
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    MMinMD wrote: »
    In my many years of yo yo dieting (without much success) I get 20-30 lbs off, then get busy and stop paying attention, and put it all back on. I've usually focused on limiting calories using one scheme or another.

This time I am focusing on a change of habits to healthy foods, meaning lots of fruit and veg, and moderate carbs, and more exercise. My primary goal, at 281 and with failing parts, is still weight loss. But this time it has to be complete, and permanent.

So far so good. My other change is in support. Blogging and reading this thread every day. Acknowledging to family, esp the skinny husband, that I'm working on this, just doing it and not worrying about ridicule. My sister and I are checking on each other daily- did u work out? Did you do well on eating? She is next door!

This am I saw the scale without have to push in my belly, for the first since I started.

Thank you everyone!

Way to Go!! Awesome... what a feeling hey!!

Lillian
  • dia_nruf
    dia_nruf Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Good morning everybody. The sun is shining and is to warm to a high of 38.....hurrah spring is on its way!

I. can't wait to be able to get outdoors and do the things I love to do (garden, hike the white mountains and ride my bike). I am hoping to get my vegetable seeds ordered today. My DH and I belong to a community garden were we grow our own as well as donate time and veggies to feed the hungry. Our community garden donated over 4,000 pounds of veggies last year. We are hoping to exceed that number this growing season.

KATIE: I was Bethee.... just horrible. What does NEGA stand for? The reason I ask is those are the initials of our business.

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Sweetandsassyfied - I'm with you, Exercise is important so make it a priority, even if the furniture must go! I have heard of the NRLW from women on MFP and they also said they had great success. Sorry to hear about your Bosko, but I'm sure that he would be glad for you to foster another dog someday.

Cynthia - hay fever sorry to hear about that. im allergic to pine pollen and grass and I live in the middle of both, but 25 years ago I got 2 years of shots of them and have enjoyed my life allergy free!

Pat - spring is coming temps are rising here too! Upper 30's and 40s next week! Enjoy the beautiful weather!

Linda in N Ontario - good for you! Walking the bleachers, I remember those days watching my son play. You're doing well on your steps!

MminMD - awesome! It's nice you have your sister for support!

Good morning ladies! Beautiful day here. I am going to bo my exercise this morning so I can enjoy the rest of the day with my DH. We need to get our house ready to sell. Had it on the market last year but always the 2nd best. I'm going to build horse stalls i n our pole barn and put up a pen .That will attract other buyers. We have 28 acres filled with groomed trails and are next to a minimum maintenance road that leads to state land.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • dia_nruf
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oh heck, I hit the send button before I was finished.

What I wanted to say was.....

Let's us all make this a GREAT DAY! May we make good choices of the food we consume to the time we have allowed for the betterment of our health.

Beth in Kennebunk Maine
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies!

Just a quick check in...

Couldn't resist the crispy peanut butter cookies last night at book club and consumed 4 of them. But they were so good and I enjoyed every crumb. I'm not beating myself up about it because it's been quite awhile since I indulged like that and occasional indulgence is good for the soul (at least my soul). Back on track today.

My hard work must be evident because a fellow book club member decided last night to get a fitbit. As mentioned by Linda, it just makes you aware of how active you are and motivates you to do more.

Today I am planning to hit some local thrift stores to find something fabulous to wear. I have heard there are some high-end type stores not too far away and I think it will be my adventure for the day. Don't want to spend too much money on new clothes because I want to lose about 15 more pounds but I have a bridal shower (wine tasting and pasta bar, how great is that!), next weekend and I think something new (for me) is in order. And if course there is dancing tonight!

Everyone have a great day!

Chris in sunny but cold MA
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    z1c8sum6o1pu.jpg
    I don't know if I did this right but here is Jake the rescue dog waiting for me to kept him into the house.
    He's done with the snow also!
  • dia_nruf
    Options
    Chris: Where in MA do you live? Please let us know if you like the stores you visit today. I am in MA often as we have an office in Winchester.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sunny here! Good morning to all you wonderful women! Later I plan to get some of those seeds I bought in started; indoors, of course......rosemary, basil, tomatos, parsley.

I think the people eating fermented foods are doing it for gut health, not necessarily wt. loss, I may be wrong here but that is my impression.

Janet and Michele.......I have DD do my hair trims; it's a straight line, how difficult can it be?

pip.........Your pics always make my heart melt!!!

Mary.......Do you get leg cramps at night? One thing I've learned, If I point my heel when I stretch in the am when I wake, rather than my toes, it doesn't happen. I have been awakened with them so bad that I've been sore for the next day.

Sassy............TOOT!!!! TOOT!!! for you!!!! Cracked up at your "girlie bit area"........lol lol!!!
    I read a poem about a dog instructing it's owners to adopt another when it was gone; so sad, but wonderful sentiment. It usually takes me a few years to wear down but somehow, even if I say "never again" I do end up with one.

Cynthia.........Sooooooo glad you are sounding better these days.......(((hugs)))).......if you still need them or not!

Chris.........Now, that's some snow!!!

Best to all; make the most of your Saturday!

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Morning, ladies,

Diane, it is hard for many of us to learn all the names. That is why it’s so nice when ladies will put the name they like to be called at the end of their posts. *hint, hint*

Joyce, I think you were right!!! I’m a firm believer in the statement, “if the person in charge doesn’t know about a problem, they can’t/ won’t do anything to fix it.” That is why I am willing to take my time to tell a manager about a problem that I’ve observed or experienced, whether it’s a restaurant or a business office. That restaurant manager might be losing business because of the difficult access. It is not unusual to advise a manager of a problem and realize that he/she just doesn’t care, but then it’s not for lack of knowing. Way to go on being Mrs FitIt. I know that had to make you feel good.

Mary, I’m excited for you on your new weight lifting adventure, but be careful. And when you say, “only22.5 pounds, that sounds like at least half a ton to me. Are the legs better today?

SweetnSassy, I’ll Toot Toot my horn for you too. You are doing GREAT. Fostering sounds like a great thing to do and one of them may want to adopt you, who knows?

MMinMD, I’d say that is a Huge step in the right direction to be able to see the scale. You Go Girl, and keep up the good work. It’s wonderful that you and your sister support each other in this journey. That has to be a big help.

Chris, one of the things I love about this journey is that we can have 4 cookies or whatever we want, as long as we plan it and it fits into our calories. I hope you find something fabulous on your shopping trip.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I saw this poem and just had to share it with you all:

Noses are Red, Fingers are blue,
    I’m tired of winter. How about you? :'(

Let's all make this a great day. Much of it is in our power.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • GTJanuary
    GTJanuary Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    To all the nice folks here that responded on the thread or sent me lovely notes, thank you! I am new to the thread but not new to life. I have seen my share of rudeness on the internet and it's nice to be reminded that there are still some extremely sweet people on the internet!

As for Katla , just a note to let you know I am from New Jersey. We are pretty tough out here in the armpit of the United States. LOL. I highly doubt you or anyone else hiding behind an internet moniker, telling me not to talk about something that I feel like talking about was going to make one whit of a difference to me or stop me. So there's that. It's a good lesson though, don'tcha know, learning to think before one speaks/types, especially when you are trying to welcome in a newcomer. Not cool. Sorry I am embarrassing you in front of your friends. But hey, now you know how you made me feel. So there's that. Next time, send a private note. Avoids lots of problems.

Everyone have a great day!
  • danishgirlbc
    danishgirlbc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Can I join? Not 50 yet but I will be in 3 months!!!
  • SelenaP63
    SelenaP63 Posts: 61 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good Morning Sunshine!

It's terrible to read through all the posts and by the time I get here, I've forgotten who's said what! Between the 'nicknames' we have and the real names attached, I'm hopelessly lost. Many apologies!

But I am quite interested to hear your experiences with FitBit and whether or not that would be something that would help me. I live out in the middle of the high desert mountains in northeastern Utah with not even a land line because we are so remote. Hiking and walking are super convenient (that is, if I choose to get off my duff and get out there!). Would the FitBit be a help in my case?

Beth I love the idea of a community garden. I've thought about how to have a garden out here, but I know I would be competing with the deer, rabbits and raccoons who no doubt, would be entirely pleased with something green and tender to nosh on. I don't want to go to all the work and then have it be for nothing (other than pleasing desert creatures). Don't get me wrong, I love the creatures (heck, I feed the hummingbirds probably 50 - 75 lbs of sugar in a season), but I simply don't have the time to devote to planting a garden solely for the purpose of providing summer salads for the furry visitors. Same goes for chickens for the eggs... would love to have them, but until I can figure out a way to keep them completely safe and not have them be 'bait' drawing in the coyotes and cougars, I will have to do without.

Sylvia Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way for a quick and complete recovery. Hugs from afar!

Carey The stone house you shared with us is magnificent! What a beautiful piece of your family's history.

Janet Loved the little poem... I think we're all ready for spring!

One last thing... this is a lovely group of ladies. It's easy to misinterpret something online that is written because we can't read the face/body language, tone, inflection. I agree with the others and in my short time here (almost a month now!) have found all different types of women with assorted trials and triumphs, but in all cases, supportive and caring. I hope we can all band together and continue to be each other's best support. I know you've all made such a difference in my success!

And as I write this, my 9 yr. old son is cheerfully cleaning the bathroom, including the toilet. I am a blessed woman :)

Happy day to you all!
    Selena
    (from Canada) lives in Utah

P.S. I've set my little tracker so it shows up here, but it never does. I would like to have it more for my visual motivation than anything else, but can't seem to make it work. Ideas? Thanks!!
  • nandern
    nandern Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I hope I can join you all here. I'm 54 and trying to lose about 70 pounds. I've been thin in the past, but it has been many years. I'm trying to stick to maintenance calories for the weight I'm striving to get to. Shooting for 30 min exercise daily and logging everything I eat and logging my weight daily.

Looking forward to having some 40 degree days next week. It doesn't sound like much, but I'm just over winter and ready for spring :)

Have a great weekend everyone!

Nancy in Muskegon, Michigan
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Joyce ... let me hug you! {{{{Hugs!}}} As I'm the mother of a son who has been disabled since birth and has required wheelchairs all of his life ... thank you! My son (28) will tell you this has been a horrible winter. He has been nearly housebound because of uncleared sidewalks, parking lots and curbs. Some places we understand it's been unavoidable ... but others it's just lack of awareness or concern. You absolutely did the right thing.
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    DamitJanet! lol I totally forgot to open word, which stores my Siggie. I also had totally forgot to post the pic of my home gym! So I am batting 2 for 2 on the silly me front. :p Thanks for Tooting with me! :D

Beth How fabulous that you all get together to grow healthy foods for the less fortunate! 4000 lbs is awesome!! I am well impressed with your communities efforts! :D

Yannie Thank you as well! I know better then to say never again... Those big brown, chocolatie eyes... I gotta stop. ;) Girlie bits, I truly lacked a better word. lol

For those leg cramps have you tried magnesium? I used to get them something fierce and Alex went and bought me some packets of magnesium that you pour onto your tongue and let dissolve. Perhaps if you asked a Pharmacist they might have something like that there.

Sincerely,
    Sassy aus Austria
    • If you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.

• Being Fat is Hard.
    Losing Weight is Hard.
    Maintenance is Hard.

Choose Your Hard.

n0i72tku6y50.jpg
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Selena: two birds with one stone (though I've never been a fan of that phrase):

If you keep a Word or other text document on your computer or in Dropbox, you can open it at the same time you're reading the posts, and note your comments.

You can also add the ticker at the bottom of this document (on MFP: go to Apps, then Tickers, then Get the code for your ticker.). Copy the BBcode and paste it at the bottom of your Word or text document.

When you're done with everything, copy the whole thing and paste it into the message box on the forum.

THEN, and here's the beauty of it: save the document. All you have to do next time is change the comments. The ticker information and any other text you want to appear every time (like "Good morning!" or whatever) will be there.

Hope this helps. (And thanks to the people who taught it to me!)

Cynthia