WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Just posted my results to Tom's LYB. The walking and cleaning must have burned some fat lol
    Is raining again so Wii training for cardio this morning.
    I still go to Mildred's grave in a morning. I am sleeping MUCH better now, between 92 and 95% efficient. No more crying.
    House has been thoroughly cleaned. Was going to wash bed sheets but not with the rain.
    I need to go through my clothes and chuck stuff out instead of hoarding. I am putting $30 a week in my "clothes jar" and have $170 in there now.
    I am putting $40 a week (Mildred's food money) in the car account and $120 in there now. I promised her that I would do that.
    No more dogs here, we are going to travel round Tasmania now we do not have to be home for her, but I miss her so much
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi, all, sunny here today but brrrrrrrr, only in the 20's. Gemma had first vet visit this am; all is well with her; passed everything with flying colors except she has whipworms, minor and easily cured. She is proving to be the just sweetest and smartest dog! I'm dreading the day DD takes her along to vet school already.
    DD wanted Greek for lunch; I did well until baklava cheesecake arrived at our table.............OMG!!! I only had a taste but could have really gotten nto major trouble with that.

Nena........I'm positive Katla didn't realize that Braggs is just a brand of vinegar. Please don't take offense; just a mistake. I'm from Pa., used to go "down the shore", mainly Ocean City.

Mary.......Thanks for your kind words. Very impressed with your squat rack!

Lesley.......You Stan is such a "keeper"!!!

Joyce.......I was an N/G tube queen too!

Sharon........Deep breaths.......this too shall pass.........((((((hugs)))))))

Sylvia.........Hope you make it to your jazz concert!!!

Katla........Congrats on your expanding horse skills. We do an obstacle course when we do the fundraising rides for the mounted patrol. It's my DD college, Sweet Briar, that is closing, I went to school in Pa. A legal firm has been retained to get an injunction against the closing and over a million and a half was raised in less than 2 days. Some questions have been raised about the history of the man they brought in to head the college this past year and how secret the whole process was. These women are really angry and ready to fight the closing. A 94 million endowment should not spell the end of a college in my mind, but what do I know?

Hello to everyone else, hope your Friday night is stress free and pleasant.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Beth in WNY: no judgement here. Sometimes we really do deserve a donut. Just not everyday, and just not a whole dozen!

Beth in Maine: way to show those doctors! I, too, don't like my name because it is one syllable, not to mention named after a letter of the alphabet. I've also always hated that I was called by my middle name. My first name is Melinda, which I always thought was prettier. My daughter thinks it's hilarious that y'all call me Katie on here. (She is also on MFP). Nobody calls me that in real life, but I secretly like it better than Kay because it has two syllables.

Everyone did call me Katiebug as a child, which I also hated. My sister's nickname was Vickie Doll. She got to be doll while I had to be bug. How fair is that? I'm over it now. It only took me 60 years. LOL!

K in NEGA

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    PS......janemartin........Congrats on the new baby in your family!!!!
  • k2boxlady
    k2boxlady Posts: 33
    Options
    Liz, where in Va are you? I am just south of Richmond, but originally from Harrisonburg.

Karen
  • larkireland
    larkireland Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a friend to help hold me accountable for my workouts and eating. I'm in my sixties and really could use a friend!
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Realised why Mildred's solar light NOT working. Switch on for light doh! Found out this morning.
    YES Stan IS a keeper
    I did Wii Sports Active I for 40 mins for weights and Wii Sports Active II for 35 mins for cardio today. Feel good now
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr on the rebounder today to a DVD that I have. Tomorrow's plan is to do the Power Fit DVD's that I have by Stephanie Huckabee. I'll probably do 3 of them for a total of an hour.

agiemjohnston
    - welcome! I know you'll do great at your half marathon

dinobomp
    - I get some very good ideas from other's diaries, too.

Mary - I for the most part use DVD's. We have a computer downstairs in my exercise room, but for some reason I never get around to using it. I really should -- it'll give me variety. Congrats on getting that squat rack and weights! So glad your dh plans to use it, too. So sorry you are going thru so much

Cynthia
    - I'm not a fast swimmer, either. Boy, the water shoes sure add resistance. One time I took them off for some reason and I couldn't get over how fast I went!

Exercised them went to the Green Room to volunteer, then to get my hair trimmed (I almost fell over at the price!), stopped at Bi-Lo to see if they had any dried mixed fruit and they only had really expensive stuff so I'll wait and see if WalMart carries it, then to IGA to get the asparagus on sale, then home to make some pork chops for next week and steam the asparagus.

Alison
    - good for you going for that mani/pedi! You deserve it

Nena
    - welcome! So sorry about your mother. What part of NJ are you in? I grew up in clifton (Passaic County). Had my first apt in East Rutherford, worked in Carlstadt. I can easily pack on 10 lbs in way less than two weeks, only then it takes FOREVER to get it off. I find that having vinegar on my salad helps to squelch cravings. Not necessaarily Braggs, just any kind of vinegar. My bet is that katla didn't realize that was a type of vinegar.

Katie
    - I agree, Melinda is such a pretty name

Had dinner. Why, oh why, did I have that piece of brownie? It so wasn't worth it! Did a few more rows on the christmas tree skirt now going to watch some TV that I recorded. A friend just called to tell me that Downton Abbey will be on tomorrow night.

katla - I am so impressed with your riding

laren in VA - adorable pic and so true

Janet - for those chocolate bran muffins, take 3 cups of bran (lately, I've been using oat bran but I used to use wheat bran), one egg (for the binder), one box of low fat brownie mix, and 1-1/2 cups of water. Mix all together, bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Makes 12 full sized muffins. Be warned, tho, don't use paper muffin liners. Since this is so low in fat, they will stick. Instead, spray the muffin pan with nonstick spray. I usually freeze mine and then nuke it for 25 seconds. When the priest at mass said this past weekend that we'd be turning ahead our clocks, I at first couldn't believe it was so soon. But, yup, much to my excitement. I always like when it stays lighter longer.

vicki - keep up the good work not stress eating! You can do it! Try to look at the positive of moving kids during the school year. They have time to make friends before the summer comes. What if they were to move at the end of the school year? Then they'd have no one

jane - congrats

Sylvia
    - how wonderful that they might release you today!

Chris - glad you liked those chocolate bran muffins. To me, they really help swith those chocolate cravings

debbie - welcome!

Michele in NC
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Evening, ladies

Sylvia, I am anxious for another update. I sure hope you got to go home and to the event you had planned. Mostly I think I hope you felt well enough to go out. Wishing you a speedy recovery. <3

Vicki, you are so sweet and kind to take in your DSIL and her hubby. Good luck with the weekend and your house guest. “She” is just someone your DH once knew but he chose you, so try your best not to let it give you stress. :s I’m sure your Grand’s will adjust to the move, but too bad it’s so far away. You hang in there.

Mary, in that picture of your new weights, Wow, they look great and I'm so glad you didn’t have to buy new ones. Also, I’ve heard that pole dancing is good exercise, so congrats on that new endeavor. >:) Plus you might pick up some extra $$$

Jane, congrats on Baby Mackenzie. She was a big girl, how is Mommy doing?

Nena, to answer your original question, I have known several people over the years that did the vinegar and water thing but none found that it really helped. The other thing is it doesn’t hurt and who knows? Please feel free to ask questions about anything in here. That is one way we all learn.

Leslie, you are doing so well. I’m happy for you and jealous of your clean house.

Larkireland, I’m not sure if you are joining this forum or just looking for a friend? Welcome, if you are joining us and here you will make many friends that are great at giving you support and valuable information as well. Track all that goes in your mouth, exercise and eat at a calorie deficit and you will succeed. I come every day to give and receive support from this great group of women. I hope you will visit often and tell us more about yourself.

Michele, Thanks for the Chocolate Bran Muffin recipe. I can’t wait to try it but have to buy the ingredients first. Do I recall that you said one has 80 calories or is that wishful thinking?

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I ended up not exercising yesterday because I had to leave early to take my friend to the doctor for her skin surgery. I didn’t get home until 1:30 and had to get other things done. No matter how I try, if I don’t at least start my exercising in the morning I just can’t seem to make myself do it. At any rate, I got back on track today and did a little extra for the missed day. Gave myself a haircut this afternoon and “Dayum” if I don’t look good! :p Michele, I agree the prices are outrageous and my hair is so easy to cut that I finally started doing it myself. DH will help make sure the hairline is straight in the back. I wear it very short so it’s easier to wash and go.

I feel like my life is so easy most of the time and very little stress. My heart goes out to those of you struggling with different issues. Please know I care about you and keep you in my prayers. I hope everyone has a restful night and a positive and healthy day tomorrow.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • dinobomp
    dinobomp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Good evening, ladies! I hope everyone is doing well (or better) today. Anyone have fun plans for the weekend? Nothing going on here, but nice temperatures for the next week!! My son is excited, he has an outdoor hobby. And maybe one day he will take me outside in my wheelchair! That would be nice.
    I may never learn everyone's name, but do enjoy reading the posts!
    Congratulations on the new baby girl in the family! I finally have one little Granddaughter. It's fabulous!
    I would love to have had a helpful husband the 38 yrs I was married! You are VERY blessed to have one that cooks and cleans!!
    Sylvia, I hope you got to go home, and I hope you feel better REALLY SOON!
    The stone house is fantastic. I hope you win the lottery so you can restore it!
    I knew Bragg's was vinegar, I've seen it on amazon. I haven't used it, but my FIL took vinegar every day. I have trouble swallowing it, it takes my breath away! I do use it on greens, and in a chicken recipe that uses a quart. . .
    I would love to get the chocolate muffin recipe, too! I have plenty of bran. Haha
    I make blueberry banana bran muffins, and they are good. Anyone make lemon muffins with bran? I love lemon anything! Let me know.
    I find it annoying that there are hundreds of TV channels, and almost nothing to watch! Mine's off most of the time.
    Two of my sons and I live in KS, and two are in New England. I miss the ones far away, and my Granddaughter. :-( I get to see my grandsons.
    I own a farm in East TN, but will never live there because none of my boys are willing to live anywhere near there. It makes me sad. I will probably try to sell it if the market gets better. I loved growing up on a farm!! I'll never forget my childhood memories. They are the best!
    Welcome to all the other new people in the group. Women our age just understand what it's about, there's no doubt in my mind!
    I will hush. I talk too much because I never see anyone (much) except my housekeeper and my son. My son is introverted, and Sharon comes but once a week. Even though I'm not "lonely" per se, I do miss getting out and seeing friends.
    Have a GREAT weekend! And take care of yourselves.
    Diane in KS

• dinobomp
    Options
    Hi, all, sunny here today but brrrrrrrr, only in the 20's. Gemma had first vet visit this am; all is well with her; passed everything with flying colors except she has whipworms, minor and easily cured. She is proving to be the just sweetest and smartest dog! I'm dreading the day DD takes her along to vet school already.
    DD wanted Greek for lunch; I did well until baklava cheesecake arrived at our table.............OMG!!! I only had a taste but could have really gotten nto major trouble with that.

Nena........I'm positive Katla didn't realize that Braggs is just a brand of vinegar. Please don't take offense; just a mistake. I'm from Pa., used to go "down the shore", mainly Ocean City.

Mary.......Thanks for your kind words. Very impressed with your squat rack!

Lesley.......You Stan is such a "keeper"!!!

Joyce.......I was an N/G tube queen too!

Sharon........Deep breaths.......this too shall pass.........((((((hugs)))))))

Sylvia.........Hope you make it to your jazz concert!!!

Katla........Congrats on your expanding horse skills. We do an obstacle course when we do the fundraising rides for the mounted patrol. It's my DD college, Sweet Briar, that is closing, I went to school in Pa. A legal firm has been retained to get an injunction against the closing and over a million and a half was raised in less than 2 days. Some questions have been raised about the history of the man they brought in to head the college this past year and how secret the whole process was. These women are really angry and ready to fight the closing. A 94 million endowment should not spell the end of a college in my mind, but what do I know?

Hello to everyone else, hope your Friday night is stress free and pleasant.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• dinobomp
    Options
    Thank you for the chocolate muffin recipe!

I meant to say I liked the black lab picture and the pug on the scales. Also the herons! I majored in Animal Science in college. I love all animals, and will try to figure out how to post a pic of my Goldendoodle. He's adorable, as are all dogs!

Diane in KS
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    xvy26n01sain.jpg
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sharon, I can not imagine what those parents must be going through. And to know that she planned on doing it while they were away. I sure hope they all get help and if there are bullys involved that that situation is taken care of.

Sylvia, I know you want to go home so bad but I sure hope they don't prematurely discharge you. What kind of dietary instructions have they gave you this time?

We had a situation last night while we were out eating that my husband and I totally disagreed on what should be done and how to handle it. As you know we had 8 inches of snow the day before and I am sure that all the commercial lots were snow plowed. I think the way they do it is to just plow the dickens out of the parking lot and push it all against the curb. The place we were eating generally has plenty of handicap spaces but the access to the sidewalk is totally blocked by how the lot was parked. I rely on a wheel chair or a scooter at times, not now but have had to. So as I am walking by those spaces and having to walk in the big pile of snow I notice that a car or van that had a handicapped person in it would have had to just drive on by and leave. We have the ADA act for a reason. So after we were seated I asked to speak to the manager, and told them that it was non food related. He came fairly promptly and said he had never even thought of that as a problem but could see what I was saying. He also said that he was sure that the snow plow company never gives it a thought. On the nightly world news they interviewed a man that totalally relies on a scooter and he could not get on any sidewalk because of how they are plowed. DH says I shouldn't even mentioned it to the manager, what could he do about it??? I said that if needed one of the employees or even himself should just shovel access to the sidewalk if the snow plow company refuses to change their practice. He didn't like it at all that I brought it up. He told the manager that since I used to be a nurse that I have this need to take care of others. I just said that as a handicap person myself I am just thinking about myself. What do you all think?

I have often complained that our house was built just to meet the standards of the time. But I have to give him credit. Our roof is always snow filled. It takes a long time for the snow to melt. Even the snow on the attached garage is there for a long time.

I'm so proud of my non technological brain. For some reason my new laptop wasn't picking up my router. Even my iPad and the Wii which Charlie uses to get his Netflix wasn't working. But that happens often about the Wii and the iPad. But the laptop has never had any problems. So I was having withdrawal from my internet. So after I came back to the office for my down time with my music I somehow thought to connect my iPad directly into my tower of my desk top. So tonight I was really getting tired of the laptop not working even though the iPad was working fine. I was really using the battery up. On my old laptop and my desk top, it has the function that I click on turn off and it turns off. But that isn't on the new one. I can push a power button and it turns off but then I have to completely sign back in which is a pain. So I completely turned it off, singed in and walla, I was cooking!!! So I fixed things 2 days in a row.

I had $10 in Best Buy rewards that was going to expire soon, So off I went to search for what I could buy for $10. I knew I was going to look for any kind of iPad accessories. I have the kind of cover that doesn't encase the whole thing, just the screen. So I got one of those. It is boring black instead of the vibrant red I had but it stands up so much easier now. I wonder if I can put a picture on the cover.

Good night dear ladies, Joyce, Indiana
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Caught up on the posts...

Now it is late so I am off to bed.

Lillian in west Central Saskatchewan
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Pipcd34 - awwwwww makes me want a couple!

Yanniejannie - baklava cheese cake mmmmm!

Nena - sometimes texts or written word leaves too much for interpretation. And can often be taken the wrong way. My DH have taken the apple cider vinegar 2 times a day for a long period of time. Then we got out of the habit when we ran out and need to get back to it. It is supposed to be really good for you.

Joyce in Indiana - you go girl! I'll call you if I have any technical issues!

Janet Myrtle Beach - I cut my hair too. Have you ever seen that vacuum hair cutter? If I ever have short hair I'd like to try that!

I don't know if I overdid it or not but I had the worst cramps in my legs I thought my quad muscle was going to detach from my Ligament it was so bad! both my feet were also cramping as well. I only did 5 sets of 5 squats with only 22.5 pounds of weight. my muscles don't even feel sore. I think they are just angry at me.

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Mary from MN I have had great success with The New Rules of Lifting for Women. That I will be starting up again in the Autumn. So am really excited to hear how your 5 x 5's will go! Here is my home gym, set up in my living room, right next to the balcony door. :D I have a few more bits n bob. Stability board, some yoga mats and equipment. Tons of weights of varying sizes. I am using my stability ball for a desk chair here at the computer. Forgot how much fun it is!! I bounce while I read, roll while I scroll. It brings out the Tigger in me. ;) lol

Sylvia I'm so glad to hear your okay and may be coming home soon. Praying they let you out in time for the concert!

Katla What astounded me reading your post is the part where you rode to the music while your friend did the Zumba. Then the spin teacher came in and you did more!! Impressive!! I'm still building up my girlie bit area, up to 45 minutes and when I get off I walk funny for the next half hour. LOL

KatieLADYbug My signature quotes really resonate with me. I am so glad they struck a chord with you too.

Yannie you are a far better woman than I... I surely would of weaseled at least half that cheesecake for myself. ;) HaH!

I am so chuffed at the progress I am making. I really am! From January and barely 500 steps & crutches to 3 1/2 miles every morning! Forgive me for a second while I toot my own horn... TOOT TOOTIE OOOOOT OOOOT TOOT TOOT! :D

Also, had the nicest thing happen. It's been a month since we had to make the terrible decision to put our Bosko dog to sleep. One week shy of his birthday. We were so very blessed and fortunate that his vet came to our house on a Friday evening. As a thank you for all she's done in caring for him, we brought her a lovely bush to plant at her practice along with a photo of her and him, when we first went to her after he and I arrived in Austria.

After she thanked us she asked if we would ever get another dog. I explained that I wasn't sure yet. That it was just to soon to make any kind of decision like that. She asked if it would be alright for her to call us in a few months because she works with fosters, rescues, and people are always calling her looking for good homes. Naturally we told of course.

What touched us is that she thought we were excellent loving pet owners. She realizes we live in an apartment ( not the ideal situation for a 65 lb dog. That's how big Bosko got. ) We made sure he got out for 2 long walks and a healthy play romp in the afternoon every single day. Sorry I'm rambling but still... Knowing the hoops people who want to adopt now a days have to jump through. She is going to make it hoop free. lol

I am really considering the fostering route for now. I'm a good trainer, Bosko was an out standingly well behaved dog. Knowing these animals would be going to good homes afterwards, makes my heart smile. Ptobably because I was adopted too. We mutts gotta stick together...lol I do have a safety net too. She said that if one of these animals did choose us for his or her family that of course we would be able to keep it. Something to think about thats for sure. :D
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Jane: congratulations on the new baby!

Allison: so glad you took the time for the mani/pedi.

Sylvia: thinking of you.

Pip: I see you’ve got wooden or laminate floors. Just a tip: as the dogs get older you might look into anti-slip socks (they exist for dogs). Saves injuries and fear. I have a set in a ziplock bag for if we’re visiting people with slick floors (or even vets! those easy-to-clean floors can be horribly slippery).

Joyce: I’m with you on mentioning the handicapped parking spaces. I even do it when someone without a “hanger” is parked in a handicapped space.

Sassie: a friend of mine fosters for a rescue group. Same agreement: if one of the dogs fits she would be allowed to keep it.

Aggghh, hayfever!

Hope we all have a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Cynthia....."Joyce: I’m with you on mentioning the handicapped parking spaces. I even do it when someone without a “hanger” is parked in a handicapped space."

Just wanted to say,in Ohio we have HC plates on our car,no hanger to be seen.Not all handicaps are visible to the eye.

Someone mentioned Braggs. It's supposed to be a natural type,but that is all I know.Wonder how many pages a list of what "might" help with wt loss would cover? So far as I know,cutting down on amount of food eaten is the only thing that works.

Temp of 40* today......& going higher each day.Hope everyone has a great wk end
    * I have errands to run & time to get this shaggy mess trimmed. Pat