WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Chris in Ma. - Read books then dance. 2 splendid activities.

Karen Central Va.- Yes, wouldn't that be nice? I have a couple of people that are sapping my energy. I force myself to smile and focus on enjoying those others who make life worth living.

Alison - Glad you treated yourself to a mani/pedi. Massage next?

Janet - I wonder if it is just a "man thing" to be become less social as they age? I seem to have gone the other way.

Vicki - Having your husband's first wife stay in your house will be uncomfortable but you are a strong woman and will take it in stride. Been there, done late, didn't really like it.

Beth - My heart goes out to your son in his suffering. I used to get migraines so bad that I sometimes had no memory of how I arrived at place. Doctors are working on his case so hopefully they will come up with something to ease the pain.

Jane- Love the name, Mackenzie Mae. Good sized baby. Enjoy.

Joyce - I applaud your courage. Yes, speak up and we need to all speak up so that things can improve. I was in a wheel chair for over a year and it really opened my eyes to problems you can have. I've been known to knock on the window of a car and explain to them what handicapped means. Pet Peeve!

MminMD -It's nice to have support and someone to cheer you on. Who better than a sister.
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    OOPS! I was not quite done.

Selena - Where are you from in Canada?

Heather - Family party must have a success. Cheers to having a small family gathering at your home. We do have to do things for ourselves.

Gail - I have never heard the expression YoYo dinner but I will definitely use it.
    Sorry to hear about your sister.

As for me this is the story as of today. My friend's daughter is now at home with them. As far as other kids at school are to know she was out with the flu. The RCMP are still investigating as well as the school. There will be counselling all around. My friend says she feels as if she is navigating a mine field. All I do is listen when she needs to talk and sometimes we hug and cry.
    DS is having a hard time dealing with this custody thing. They have shared custody right now but because she isn't working she gets to have DGD when he is working. She had a job but lasted for about 2 minutes. Still controlling even now that they are not together. Jobs are not that hard to find in Lethbridge if you want one.
    It must be winter is too long. DSIL told me tonight that her sister was held at gun point by the man that supposedly loves her. "There's 2 bullets, one for you and one for me" She was on the phone with her son who heard her ask why he had a gun. They were disconnected so he called his sister who lived near and had her call 911, police sent and he was arrested. Court date Tues.
    On a brighter note the last 2 days have been sunny and warm here. Park time with the DGC was my fun. They are such rays of sunshine in my life.
    Also I had some emails from an old friend who now lives in Utah. Memories of Grassy Lake and the farm life. We didn't know how good we had it.
    Sharon in Lethbridge.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Sylvia: so glad to see you! Take it easy.

Sassy: I only know about fostering from a friend. She just loves and cares for the dog and gets him or her used to the basic stuff like being on a leash, learning its name, coming when called, sit, being petted, stuff like that. Of course you could do more if you and the dog both like it. Length of time varies.

Hope we all have a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png

• peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday morning to all! Got an atomic clock for my bathroom and don't know how to set it forward do day light saving time. I wish the government would just leave time alone.

Gail, so sorry to hear your sister is so ill. I know it is a very difficult time for you and your family.

Sybil, you sound like you are doing great. Keep it up. A lot of us would love to be told to use the diet your doctor prescribed. LOL

Joyce, I agree that you should have talked to the manager. They probably never thought about the plowing blocking the walk. One thing I have noticed about the handicapped parking at places like Walmart. The places you return your buggy to always seem to be far away. Defeats the purpose, I think.

My DGS turned five yesterday and had a party at a place that had blow up play equipment and all kinds of token machines. He and his friends had a blast.

I am noticing how flabby my arms are (bat wings I think it is called). Must up the exercises I do for this but don't know if it will help.

• dia_nruf
    dia_nruf Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Joyce, Indiana: the hotel is called "the Colony" and is located in Kennebunkport. I have never stayed there but have heard it's really nice. The hotel is just down the road from "the Bush" compound.

Gail: I am sorry to heard your sister is so ill. Special thought to you and your family.

hvcixihes0y8.jpg

I have to give myself a woo hoo.... I lost 1.8 pounds this week. I broke through the plateau I was in.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Mary in MN – Lol…I would love to come down there, but I am off to a Ladies spiel on the 13th.

Sylvia – so glad you are getting out and about.

Janet – weekends seem to be stuffed full of all the things that don’t get done during the week, or if I am off to a curling spiel or a scrapbooking weekend then there is catch up.

Sharon in Lethbridge – ((((hugs)))) When so much drama happens in my life I go for a walk and have a talk with myself – sometimes it gets a little loud …but nobody hears me out here in the country. Oh wait…my dog hears me and usually comes back and looks at me funny and I give him a hug. For me it helps get the anger out so I speak more rationally when I actually see the people.

Peach – Yup Oprah called them bat wings too!! I have been using weights trying to tone arms and my “back boobs” … Let me know what exercise you plan to do to tone those bat wings.

Saussy – nice gym!!

Sunday morning here…. I don’t have to run around and change all the clocks …. So glad everyone else is back to normal …ha ha ha lol. And all the kids are now on our time. So today …it is back to the basement to move the boxes around so that we can finish the dry walling in the big open area. Oh I can’t wait for this to be done!!!! DH has a sore back so he stops and rests frequently so I hope I get to go outside for a walk today... looks like the weather will be really nice.

I have a small turkey out to roast today – so that should be lunch and supper for at least the next 3 days. Now that is meal planning….

Take care everyone and have a good day
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • MMinMD
    MMinMD Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    A lovely sunny Sunday in slower (southern) Maryland. The ice on our creek (a tributary of the Chesapeake) is just starting to melt. In 35 years here this is the first time since the early 19890’s that the creek (which is salt water and 1/2 mile across here at our house) has stayed frozen for more than a couple days. First time I’ve ever seen it frozen enough that snow stays on top. I need to plant tomato seeds today!

I’m interested in your experience with activity trackers. I have a bad knee and foot, so don’t walk a lot. May get the knee replaced this year. Plantar fasciitis in the heel I think. But I would like to track real cals used during stationary bike, simple aerobics, what walking I do, general cooking and cleaning, and cals burned from weights.

Beth in Kennebunkport – I visited Portsmouth a couple of weeks ago and was blown away. I learned quickly that drivers can’t see coming out of side roads, and have to stick their noses out - and that everyone has to be aware that’s happening and let them do it. Plus many roads don’t accommodate 2 cars passing anymore. Hopefully this will be the week the melt starts for you.

Janemartin – assume the baby is your granddaughter? Congrats, she is beautiful.

Sassy: I’m 5”10”, 56, and have been over 280 for 20 years. I started this round of MFP in late Jan at 295. Ugh. I am targeting (and hitting!) ~1350 net calories a day; generally about 1600-1700 + 200-400 cal of exercise. I’m losing about 1 ½ lbs/week. Hit 15 lbs today! I would like to do more exercise but I have waiting too long to start this journey and have damage to knees and feet with pain. I’m working to find a way around those excuses and do stationary bike or strength training, and need all the encouragement I can get. Like you say, “Choose Your Hard.”

Lillian – some of my Canadian friends and family (mostly in NS and PEI) curl in fun leagues. I myself prefer watching hockey. Lets go Caps!

Gail – instead of YOYO for dinners where each is on her own, we say that tonite we are just going to “graze.” The kids knew that as code for “I’m not cooking”

Dia_nruf: Woo hoo to you too! That’s a great loss this week.

Goals for March:
    Exercise at least 5 days a week.
    Eat 5 fruits and veg a day
    No snacks or drinks after dinner (stick to that 12 h eating window)

Goals this week: Add back some convenience foods that are healthy, lower in cals , fat and carbs. I do Panera breakfast sandwiches sometimes, there are a few under 300 cal. I think I will try one of their new “broth bowls” – umami flavored broth with low fat protein and veg, mostly around 300 cal – for a dinner this week.

Todays word for myself (well 2 words): No whining!

Cindy in SoMD

14386427.png

• Twhitehead7
    Twhitehead7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    b857rb5vx6x6.jpg
    cxqnah8tkdo3.jpg

this is the quilt project.. and me.

Hi there! I have just begun to quilt. I find it so satisfying . Love what you've done! Will you hang it somewhere special?
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

pipcd34 wrote: »
    fanncy- welcome o little one to the wonderful world of pipville, you should be honored to be accepted into my elite world of pipness
    A woman with her own kingdom...you go girl!
  • mikesmom1983
    Options
    The rest of my post got deleted, gotta love technology.

Michele, to my great deistress Filene's basement went out of business quite a few years ago. There was a branch I my town and I miss it very much. It was always an adventure to go Ito the flagship store in Boston.

I put the recipe for chocolate bran muffins in the recipe function of MFP and it came up with 111 calories. I filled the 12 cup muffin pan 3/4 full and had left over batter which I put into a mini muffin pan to make "brownie bites" which I log in at 25 calories each. I took a couple of these with me yesterday on my shopping trip to ward off the hungry tummy. It helped tremendously when I stopped by the grocery store because I didn't feel the need to buy something less than healthy to tide me over. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe.

I lost 1 hour and .4 lb!! Yeah for dancing and more daylight!

Gotta go walk Jake the rescue dog now so .
    Everyone have a great Sunday!

Chris in cloudy but not snowing MA
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Morning Morning, ladies.

Michele
    , feel free to show us pictures of the sweater you aren’t sure about and “maybe” someone would give you an opinion. Glad you found such bargains. My favorite quote to DH is “It’s not what you spend but what you save.”

Joyce, I love your idea of the Facebook page when your mom was in Hospice.

Pip, “you’re a pip:. I loved that. LOL Tell Yogi, I’m sorry I called him a her. He’s a little bigger than my Maggie as she is only about 65 pounds.

Sassy, good luck with the foot surgery. Always something to look forward to in life. I had asked my Dr. about the calories and they met with the MFP suggestion. I’m 5’6” (or used to be?) and I am allowed 1200 calories a day. I don’t add back any for exercise. When I began, I thought I’d starve on that few calories, but I looked at all the things I like and chose the foods that are lowest. That way, I can have a full cup of some veggies to go along with my 4 oz of protein. I am rarely hungry and eating so much healthier than ever before. OMG, I went a year or two where I had a rather large Cinnamon Roll for breakfast every morning. (400 calories! Yikes.) Now I also look for items with the lowest calories when I want something like bread. Your calorie limit sounds high to me, but must be right for you if you are averaging 1 ½ pounds a week. That is a great rate!

Dia, Toot toot for you on your loss. It’s so nice to break a plateau after no movement for a while. I like your quote.

Lillian, I like your meal planning. My DH is so easy to please and is happy to eat leftovers and/or the same thing for a few days. Isn’t it nice.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I happened to watch the Joel Osteen sermon on TV this morning. It was about being happy and satisfied with your current situation. Not that we can’t strive for improvement, but more to me about not wishing your life away. It does seem that so many people in life are always looking forward to “something” in their future, like that is going to make life better. Sometimes it’s hard to accept that life is here and now and always will be. I hope we can all embrace the here and now and make the best of it. Like the MFP journey, Life is a marathon and not a sprint. The only real destination is when we meet our maker.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC (Sunny and high 50's today B) )
  • mikesmom1983
    Options
    Sassy I like the idea of sharing stats and progress. Sometimes it's a matter if trial and error to come up with the right combo that works for us.
    I am 5' 3-3/4" and started at an all time high of 193 in September 2014.
    This morning I was 168. I have not been in the 160's for at least 15 years.
    I set my calorie goal for 1400/day and get at least 30 minutes of very active minutes (fitbit speak) per day. Besides walking everyday I try to hop on the elliptical for at least 10 minutes hopefully more, time permitting. Some days I eat all my exercise calories.
    I lose 1/2-3/4 lb./week on average.
    I have learned to eat every 2-3 hours and include protein in every meal and snack. I no longer eat low or no fat food. The full fat version, I find, are more satisfying even at the smaller portions. it was explained to me that we need healthy fats and the low/ no fat versions are full of chemicals to compensate for the lack of fat.
    This has been my formula for success.
    Chris in MA
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I had a rough night. Didn't sleep much. I took a small dose of milk of magnesia at bedtime and all night I was sick at my stomach. Never did produce any " results" though. This morning I forced down about half a cup of skim milk and a slice of toast. It is right on the cusp of coming back up. I'm afraid to take my am pills for fear it will push me over the edge. It's 10:30 already, since it was spring forward time last night. That's going to take some getting used to. Still have not had a shower yet either.

Good grief, I'm a downer lately. Gotta crawl out of this hole and get moving forward again.

Here is yesterday's joke of the day. It's a rerun, but we have a lot of new people who might not have seen it yet, so here goes:

:)

A mean lookin' cowboy was sitting by himself in a Saloon. He was a pretty intimidating sight, so no one bothered him as he downed a few whiskey and beers. After chugging his last drink he slammed some coins on the tabletop and got up to leave. Right after he left though he came storming back in and said,

"Listen up you mangey *kitten*" and everyone, terrified, immediately fell silent.
    "Someone done took my horse. Now here's what's gunna happen. I'm gunna order me another drink, finish it, and when I walk back outside this time my horse BETTER be there or else I'm gunna do what I did in Texas... and believe me, I don't want to do what I did in Texas!"

Like he said, after he finished his drink he walked outside and sure enough, someone had returned his horse. He was getting on it when one of the bar patrons ran up to him and sheepishly asked,

"Sir I don't mean to bother you but I just have to know, what did you do in Texas?"

The cowboy looked at him square in the eyes and replied,

"I walked home".

:D

I hope you all have a fantastic day!

Sylvia
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For those interested in the activity trackers, here is a link that compares the 2 top Fitbit Charge HR & JawboneUP3
    wareable.com/jawbone/jawbone-up3-v-fitbit-charge-hr-best-fitness-tracker-2015

Chris in MA I with you on the every couple of hours. I have my journal set up that way too. Instead of breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks...mine reads; 7ish, 10ish, 12ish, 3ish, 5ish, 8ish. :D Also protein for me too is such a must.

Sincerely,
    Sassy aus Austria
    • If you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.

• Being Fat is Hard.
    Losing Weight is Hard.
    Maintenance is Hard.

Choose Your Hard.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,350 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good afternoon all!
    Our clocks go forward the last weekend in March. But it is already so much lighter!

My stats: I was 5ft 5ins, so I'm using that as a base. I've probably shrunk! I started at 195 lbs in June 2013. It took me 18 months to get down to 140 lbs and I have been at maintenance for over 14 months now. I stuck to the MFP guidelines and ate back all my exercise calories. Now I use a base of 1200 and eat back all my exercise cals, which are currently 600 a day, except on yoga days which is 236. I don't count mall shopping or anything like that, but if I went for a walk I would count it. So on 1800 delicious calories I am managing to maintain. I still log almost every day.
    My exercises are mainly on 3 machines we have in the spare bedroom, elliptical, rower and recumbent bike. I do 536 cals on those. Then I do 20 mins strength and flexibilty training for 64 cals.
    I like the outline of my shape that all this has given me and I am a UK size 12 (USA 8) As I am 65 I don't like my saggy skin so I prefer to cover myself up with fitted clothes. My weak points are one knee, my feet, which have pronation and my hips which are a bit arthritic. Running and dancing are out for me, unfortunately! I wake often in the night with various rheumaticky aches and pains, but, on the whole, I feel so happy to have achieved this state of health. I am a breast cancer survivor and still wear an arm sleeve every day for lymphodema. That is a nuisance but not half so much a nuisance as being dead.

Hope that has explained myself a bit to the Newbies!

I've just got back from the supermarket with all the ingredients I need for entertaining my nephew and his wife on Friday. DH isn't thrilled, but that's too bad. At last night's party I also organised for my brother and his wife to come over on Good Friday, so I will get my dinner party fix for a bit!
    This Friday we are having, Double Salmon Wheels (freezable), Goulash, (also freezable) and a new to me Filo pastry tart, which has pears, blackberries and soft goat's cheese in it. I will freeze that as well, though I'm not sure about it. Very moderate portions for me, but my nephew and his wife have very good appetites and are very overweight. The wife drove me home last night as she doesn't drink. She also wanted to know where I lived!

DH has been doing a marathon prune in the garden.

Tonight is jumbo prawns and peas in homemade passata spiced up with chilli. I will have shiritaki noodlles, DH tagliatelle. Broccoli to go with.
    Will cook Friday's food tomorrow.
    Love from Heather in the UK.
    27681614.png
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Sassy aus Austria - I'm 5'5", 57 years old, I eat between 1260 - 1290 unless I have a cheat day, which isn't very often then I have gone up to 2200 1 - 2 times since the beginning of the year. My high weight was. Around 185, I started here at 174 last October. I have lost 34 lbs. About 1 lb to 1.5 lbs week. I have been doing 1 to 3 hours of cardio and strength training. Just started strong lift 5 X 5. Heading towards 120lbs. At 140 now. I have been a yoyo dieter. Friend me and you can see my diary. I also have a large daily planner for thoughts and reflection, and a small daily planner for daily goals.

Sharon in Lethbridge - grandchildren can be the sunshine in any day!

Peachstategal - I am glad that we have time back to normal! I too wish they would leave it like that. It was for winter when students were out in the dark waiting for the bus is what I heard.

Dia_nruf - congratulations on the weight loss! love the quote.

Lillian - turkey sounds really good, when is dinner????

Cindy in South Md - congratulations on your 15 lb weight loss!

Janet Myrtle Beach - I like your thought on embracing the here and now, it's nice to be on this journey with you and all the other ladies here!

Sylvia - I would suggest drinking prune juice that really helped my husband with constipation after his bowel obstruction. I hate to say this, but my husband's doctor would not have released him from the hospital with what you are experiencing. Please take care of yourself and if you do start throwing up again go back to the hospital immediately! We want you to be here with us healthy and healthy! We Love your stories, support and your jokes!

Heather - you are truly a chef, I don't care if you have not had any schooling. your menu items always sound so delicious! have a great day.

It is beautiful here today, sunny and going to get into the high 30's woo hoo!!!!

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pipcd: We also have wood floors. Next time I replace flooring I’ll choose some ceramic tile with a bit of texture. The wood doesn’t bother my younger dog yet, but the last dog had trouble when she got older. Our stairs are carpeted, thank goodness.

Beth in ME: I love your picture. What a beautiful beach!

Bwcetc: I am impressed that you’re so far along with your taxes. We aren’t.

Gail: I’m sorry your sister is in the hospital. What is BC?

Mary from MN: My ticker code is quite different from what showed up on your page. The words “weight-loss-ticker” don’t show in your post but they’re part of my code. I see that you’re already working on this issue. Good luck.

Sylvia: I’m so glad you’re home! Our dishwasher is a Kenmore with a stainless interior. We’ve had it for a number of years. The interior is not bright and shiny anymore. It shows a lot of soap scum. The good news is that it doesn’t rust. Dishwasher soap is a box of chemicals, and I wonder what they are. I hope you enjoy your choice, what ever you decide. Getting your doctor’s recommendation on prescription combinations seems like an excellent idea, especially if you see several different specialists. I evidently missed some information on new dietary instructions.

Lesley: Grief has its own timetable. When our previous dog died unexpectedly from a bee sting we were devastated. I was working full time & had a long commute and DH was home alone. We set about looking for a new pup immediately so he wouldn’t be alone 10 to 12 hours a day. You’ll make a good decision when you are ready.

Michele & Mary from MN: I am always amazed and impressed with the cooking that Michele does, too. I’d never be able to stay out of the treats.

Sassy aus Austria: It sounds as though you are making excellent progress. Congratulations!

Dreamwriter: On the question of men getting less social as they age, I think DH is more social than he used to be. He thinks so, too.

Peachstategal: I’ve been doing more exercise and it has helped my arms, but it is a long, slow process. I’m enjoying the exercise and that is why I’ve stuck with it long enough to improve. I like yoga.

dla_nruf: Congratulations on the weight loss! I love the image you posted.

Chris in MA: You are doing a fabulous job managing your weight loss, exercise and eating. Congratulations!

Sylvia: I’m sorry you’re in a rough patch. I hope you start feeling better soon. Love today’s joke.

Heather: You are a champion!

My history here at MFP is similar to Heather’s. I’ve also been here a long time and lost over 70 lbs. I’m currently maintaining at just under 140 lbs. I was fat, miserable, and lost when I started this process. I had no idea what to do to change my situation, so I Googled weight loss. Two sites came up and I chose MFP. I have learned so much! One of the biggest lessons for me is that change takes time and sustained effort but doesn’t require perfection. If I blow it on a particular day, I make sure that I stay in my calorie limitations the next day, and the day after that. I also learned than I can “buy” extra calories by doing extra exercise. That has been very empowering for me and saved me from “going over” countless times.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• pam_felt
    pam_felt Posts: 6
    Options
    Well ladies, I have now spent 2 hours catching up! I cannot possibly comment on any one post but we are a very diverse set of people. I see myself in a lot of you and sympathize with many of you. Happy Birthday to everyone with February and March birthdays. For those of you interested in logging your steps, I have used a Fitbit for about 3 years and really like it. It syncs to MFP nicely. Someone asked how far 10,000 steps takes you, I am 5'2' and 165 pounds and for me that is about 4 miles.

I have done rather well so far this month as far as eating. I have logged every day, every morsel and stayed within my calorie range. I even lost a pound. Now if I could just get myself out of bed early enough in the morning to exercise! Maybe since I have to reset my alarm for daylight saving I will just move it an hour earlier to get up and workout! I am not a morning person! Hummm... might be easier to reset the Basset Hound!

I hope everyone has an awesome week and i'll try to check in again soon!

Pam in North Texas, where the snow and ice are gone but the rain is on it's way. Yee Ha!

March goals --
    walk at least 5000 steps every day
    log all bites and drinks everyday
    eat slower, taste my food
    kick my addiction to diet coke!
    plan and do at least one thing for myself every week
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Taking a break from the box/stuff moving going on in the basement. The sun is shinning so beautifully!! But I have to go back to the basement and move some things so that DS#1 can help me move the heavier stuff when he stops in. DH is still struggling with the back pain.

Later everyone
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sun!!Saw all 5 grand daughters last night,including mackenzie.Mackenzie is bigger than her cousin,Jaelyn who is a month old.I was in grandma heaven.
    HUGS
    jane