WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Afternoon, My friends,

Mary, MN, My heart goes out to you as I’ve been there, done that. I hope that our children don’t realize how much they can hurt us by their actions. Hopefully in time things will change for the better. *Hugs*

Sassy, I do think a couple of the healthy frozen dinners might be the thing I need. I just want a meal replacement since I know what snacks to take and to be honest, I’m not that much of a snacker. I might take a large salad that I can split up over a couple of meals too.

Macmatilda, Welcome and yes you posted correctly. If you are serious about this journey and want support, this is the place to be. Tell us a little about yourself and come in often.

Joyce, I had to laugh when you said you prefer a B&B. Years ago I won a Valentine’s prize on a radio station that included tickets to an Oldies Concert and a stay at a B&B. This was a house we drove past all the time and was very interesting looking, so I was excited. The host who was very large and very quiet, was quickly nicknamed, “Lurch” by DH. The large house was empty except for the three of us, and a little creepy. If we opened the door to our room, Lurch was there. When we came back from the concert late at night, Lurch was just inside the door. When DH got up in the middle of the night and went to the kitchen for a drink, Lurch was there. Needless to say, DH is over staying at a B&B. Joyce, you said, “I need to get my touche off the couch and get moving.” So I’m giving you a *nudge*, *push*, *shove*, like a good friend should do. You know you can do it again, so what are you waiting for???? We aren’t getting any younger, you know.

Katla, I hope that tummy straightens out quickly. When you said you thought it was from something you ate, for some reason it reminded me of the first (and only) time I ate kiwi fruit. It was sliced thin in a beautiful fresh fruit salad at a friend’s luncheon. With the first bite the kiwi got lodged in the back of my throat and I choked…not able to get any air…stopping everyone at the table with looks of concern. One was about to give me assistance when it finally dislodged and other than being scared half to death, I was fine. I don’t even know what kiwi tastes like because I have never been able to bring myself to eat it again. (Just glad it wasn’t a steak) lol

Allison, the new light fixtures will make a huge difference in the look of the rooms. Great that you got them at such a great price.

Chris, Great going on the new sweater. The nachos sound like they were worth it for such a nice visit with your friend... And as long as you really enjoyed them. :p We aren’t going to stop living while we are on this life journey, we are just mindful of what we are doing. Glad you had a great day!

Diana, Wonderful that you had a good trip and I know your son was happy you made it. Where in so Tex did he graduate?

Mary in MN, it does sound like you are going to be busy! I’m glad it’s you and not me. How wonderful that your DMIL is turning 90 and so active. I hope she has a great BD.

Carol NC, glad you were able to get some quality time with your friend. (Way to go on that savor. ;) ) I figured that Miss Spot would adjust to her new home. Glad she likes it.

MTO, Terrific that you got the trainer and are doing so well. Keep it up and the pounds will follow.

Carol in Marietta, I just had to laugh when I read that you thought you could eat whatever you wanted during the 8 hours. (I’m not making fun of you) If that was the case, I know I could do some serious damage in 8 hours. But I also didn’t know that it said to cut out sugar, bread, potatoes, rice and wine. If you totally cut out all those things, I’d think you could eat during a 12 hour time frame and still lose weight? My biggest thing with the 8 hours is that I would have to have breakfast rather late. It took me so long to get used to eating breakfast, but now I eat it within about an hour of getting up. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Heather, I don’t understand. What does leaning back on the scale do?

Selena, Way to go! I’d do a happy dance too. That’s sad about your kids. But you did say they were teens when you divorced so that explains a lot. Don’t apologize for the post. We enjoy learning about each other, and anyone that wants can skip it.

Laurie, welcome to this great place for support and information. Come often and post whenever you feel like it. We are glad to have you with us.

Katla, Joyce, Sassy, and any others, thanks for the suggestions of food for my convention.

Did I just see that Pip peek her head in? Yeah!

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

My wish for all of you is to have a wonderful and healthy day.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Warm and sunny today. I do believe Spring is on the way.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! The sun is shining, the birds are singing and I'm still feeling a little puny. Can't keep anything down. I had a regular appointment scheduled for today with my GP, and talked to her about it. Of course, she saw me in the hospital on Friday, and Thursday, and Wednesday, and Tuesday, but this was a real appointment. She is getting ready to close her practice in April, so I have to find a new doctor somehow. I thought I had one chosen but my current doc's nurse told me that a lot of people don't care for the other one's treatment style (bossy and condescending) so I'm rethinking that. It's hard when you have no way to interview these doctors to find one you like. We are in a tiny town and a lot of them aren't listed on Healthgrades, or I could use that. I'm pretty sure I want a woman doc, but that's all I know.

I'm trying to get back to work, at least doing a little drafting this morning, but so far have not even opened the program. My computer locked up earlier and I had to reboot everything, so it's going to be a mess to figure out where I left off.

Yesterday afternoon we took the kids to a place over near Carthage Missiouri called Red Oak II. It's an old style village created entirely by a local artist and you just walk around and look at stuff. It was really fun. The kids enjoyed it a lot. There were a couple of old gas stations, an old general store, bakery, sheriff's office, graveyard, several gingerbread cottages, an old church, and a couple of unique cafe's. One made out of a caboose. Plus, his welded iron artwork was all over the place, so there was a lot to look at. We were followed around as we walked by a whole menagerie of strange critters. Peacocks and pea hens, Guinea hens, ducks, several different kids of roosters, two enormous male turkeys strutting around in their best Sunday feathers, all spread out to impress us, and several friendly old dogs. When we got home the kids rushed to tell their dad, and the first thing they told him about was one of the dogs - named Duke - who liked to get his belly rubbed. Go figure. But it was a lot of fun. Hubby didn't want to do it. He thought I wasn't ready and it would be too much for me, but it was fine. Afterward he agreed that it was a nice place to take them and he was glad we went.

When we got home though, I was tired and went to bed early. I slept a little better, but still not great. I've been having horrible night sweats lately for some reason. Haven had those in a few years and just since I went into the hospital this last time they have been relentless.

Well, I suppose I should try to do some actual drafting. I hope you are all having a great day and have some sunshine to enjoy.

Sylvia

• kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I saw this and thought you all would enjoy.

Tina in MD

cuu34hhnk0vg.gif
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Carol in NC - it is so nice to hear that you are able to get out and enjoy the nice weather! It is getting nicer up here as well. still too slippery my husband fell just two nights ago. enjoy hearing about how you prep your food for the week! that's a really good idea.

Mary from Michigan - personal trainers are great for showing you how to exercise correctly good for you doing awesome for February!

Carol in Georgia - I just try to limit those complex carbs anyhow. but I do eat them when I want just like I will have a whole bag of whopper Robin eggs occasionally! Let me know how you do on it. I am having tremendous success with fat loss.

Heather - sorry to hear about your D H,my DBIL just had his hernia fixed he feels so much better. I really wish I could cook like you! one of these days you will have to invite all of us over for a dinner!

Selena from Utah - I hear you about the children! My DH'S 3 DD'S treated him horribly and sided with his ex. we have been together almost 6 years and have had extreme difficulties with each of them for the most part. two are better now since my husband almost died when he cut his wrist with his chainsaw. then they lost their stepdad and I think that made them realize that life with their father could be over in the blink of an eye. his one dd still acts like she hates me. Great job with your weight and inch loss! keep up the good work.

Lauriegm34 - welcome to this group of wonderful ladies! Come often and join in with the conversations.

Tina from MD - thanks for the info on fostering. Enjoy your walk!

Janet Myrtle Beach - you are such an awesome motivator! thank you for your kind words and advice to me and everyone else!

Sylvia - get in your car and you and your DH come up here and check yourself into the Mayo Hospital if you cannot keep anything down I am extremely concerned for you. My DH doctor would have him in the hospital. This is personal but are you able to have a bowel movement? Sorry if this is to extreme, I am just goingFrom experience with what my husband went through and what his doctor considered to be something to watch out for. Mayo Hospital is in Rochester. I would just go there and go to the emergency room.

Mary from Minnesota
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Mary,

Heck, I have no dignity left at this point, so nothing is too personal. Even in the hospital that was one of the two biggest problems. They said my entire large intestine was packed solid and hard as a rock. They debated for 5 days as to what to do about it and settled on doing pretty much nothing. They did give me one enema which produced some small success, and discussed another one but never did it. They also threatened me with that lemon-lime liquid laxative junk that you take before a colonoscopy, but never did that either. Once I was released, I took some milk of magnesia, which was a big mistake. That just made me throw up. I tried to do another enema on my own, but it was too hard to do to myself, and I wasn't about to ask hubby to help.

The doc this morning suggested maybe I should try some glycerine suppositories. Huh, never heard of those. So I rushed to walmart and bought a box. A whole $2 for 12. Thought these things can't work. But they did. At least the first one I tried worked better than anything up to this point. It was cheap, easy to use and didn't make me gag. So I'm hopeful. I wonder why they couldn't have done that in the hospital? Couldn't charge enough for it, I guess. Anyway, I intend to do another one every day till it's all worked out. Fingers crossed that it continues to work for me. Hopefully if I can get that under control I will be able to eat again. I think my body is saying "stop shoveling it in! I have no place to put it!"

Thanks for all your concern. If things don't work out soon I just might call the Mayo people.

Sylvia
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    His "blue ox". Nudge nudge, wink wink. :D
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Snow is melting here. Finally starting to get active again after having the flu. I am trying out a pedometer I got when I went to see Dr. Oz. Goal today is 3000-5000 steps because I am taking it slow as I recover.

2015 word: Strength
    Just because you see the hook does not mean you have to bite.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - I'm glad to hear that worked for you. Do you have a trauma center hospital in your area? They generally have the best Dr on staff. if you continue to throw up and can not eliminate on your own by artificial means (suppositories) that is the best place for you to go. they will probably have the best gi on staff. My DH and I and a lot of the ladies on here are praying for you to get better real soon! keep us informed please! (((Hugs)))

Mary from Minnesota

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Mary,

Heck, I have no dignity left at this point, so nothing is too personal. Even in the hospital that was one of the two biggest problems. They said my entire large intestine was packed solid and hard as a rock. They debated for 5 days as to what to do about it and settled on doing pretty much nothing. They did give me one enema which produced some small success, and discussed another one but never did it. They also threatened me with that lemon-lime liquid laxative junk that you take before a colonoscopy, but never did that either. Once I was released, I took some milk of magnesia, which was a big mistake. That just made me throw up. I tried to do another enema on my own, but it was too hard to do to myself, and I wasn't about to ask hubby to help.

The doc this morning suggested maybe I should try some glycerine suppositories. Huh, never heard of those. So I rushed to walmart and bought a box. A whole $2 for 12. Thought these things can't work. But they did. At least the first one I tried worked better than anything up to this point. It was cheap, easy to use and didn't make me gag. So I'm hopeful. I wonder why they couldn't have done that in the hospital? Couldn't charge enough for it, I guess. Anyway, I intend to do another one every day till it's all worked out. Fingers crossed that it continues to work for me. Hopefully if I can get that under control I will be able to eat again. I think my body is saying "stop shoveling it in! I have no place to put it!"

Thanks for all your concern. If things don't work out soon I just might call the Mayo people.

Sylvia

I am not an expert,but want to put in a word for Mayo. My sis lives in Minn & Mayo is the only reason she has lived quite a while with congestive heart failure.They have wonderful care & a lot of experience with most medical conditions.Sis' Local Drs ans to her Mayo Dr.
    Her MIL was also a patient there altho she lived in Wisc.I'm thankful that BIL insisted on Mayo for both.
    Sylvia,the bowel can cause problems thru out the body.My thinking is sooner rather than later.
    Better to get it taken care of than to end up back in surgery in a place that couldn't decide what to do! OK.....I will shut up......just know it's from concern & care. Pat

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Mary from MN: Your DMIL sounds like a live wire. I hope we’re all that spunky at 90.

Carol in NC: Congrats on a great day with your friend. Sunshine helps my mood, too. I hope your DD manages to join you for the walk on time.

Carol in Marietta GA: Our dog is spoiled, too. He just wants what we’re having, and I’m a patsy, so I mix a little bit into his dog food.

Heather: Best wished to your DH for a reasonably prompt hernia fix. Waiting is not easy or comfortable. His pulse rate is excellent news. Congratulations!

Selena: I thought your post about the tribulations of parenthood was positive and encouraging. I’m glad you shared the story, and happy that your kids are coming around.

Lauriegm84: Welcome to a supportive group of women. Stop by often.

Tina: I’m so happy to hear about your foster group for dogs. In our town we have a no-kill shelter in the same facility as the county dog pound. When the dog’s time runs out at the pound, he moves across the hall. We contribute to the nokill shelter on a regular basis.

Sylvia: Good luck finding a new doctor. Both of mine retired in the same month I did. Finding a new doctor was an unwelcome challenge. I’m going to one that my neighbor recommended and doing okay. Congratulations on finding a product to help with your blocked bowels.

Yoga teacher was still sick so they called in a sub. He’s is someone that I regularly take lessons from and that was great, but I think he’s sick, too. I hope I don’t catch anything. Were leaving for DGD’s birthday in just a couple of days.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,684 Member
    Options
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy mon.Gonna try to get daughter to help me put a pic of mackenzie on here.
    She went to the dr,lost 1 lb,but will pick up once the DIL`s milk comes in.
    I LOVE being a grandma!!!
    hugs jane
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    New pic is Leah and her baby sister Makenzie
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,793 Member
    Options
    a quick hello, coming down with something,,,so taking some nyquil and off to bed, will check in in the a.m.
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    LOVE the dog photos after training, I look like that after boxing.
    We cannot foster dogs as we are rural, 30Km from nearest shelter and 3 poisonous snakes on property and need to take care. Puppy is a staffy and Betty says "share doggy"
    Did Wii Gold's boxing and Jeannette's cardio kick-boxing shortly = 536 cals.
    Food at 4825
    Grocery shopping soon, MUST make list
    The solar light on Mildreds' grave shines all colours and can see ffom kitchen window at night.

Lesley in Tasmania
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone!

Main event today was taking Gemma to the dog park for the first time. A little leery as our other basenjis pretty much hated other dogs, esp. the male........but the little "basenji plus" (which is how I'm responding now when asked) absolutely loved it. She raced with a small female husky for miles back and forth and played wth everythng from a sweet little pug to a great dane.

Two warm days and the daffodil buds are shooting up, still tightly closed though.

Rori........Great to see you!

Sylvia......Add me to those concerned about your care. Glad the glycerine is giving some relief though. Please, please, don't overdo.........

Katla...........I'm currently reading a Jane Smiley. Also hope you are not getting sick; I sneezed like mad last night after being at that race but guess it is early season allergies as I don't feel "coldish".

Margaret..........Glad to hear you are feeling better, hope you continue to improve!

Tina........Thanks for the fostering info; loved the fox pic.............and the "workout dogs"!!!

Janet........I think you've gotten some great ideas for food to take. I take my decaf tea bags (and mug, it has to be MY mug) when I travel, almonds, canned tuna, hardboiled eggs,............

Heather........Good luck to your DH.

Need to run out on a couple errands yet this evening; better get a move on.
    Best to everyone I missed!

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• mollywhippet
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:)

Two rather old retired racehorses are in a bar getting totally drunk. After about two hours the first racehorse says "You know.... when I was a young racehorse...from one hundred starts, I won (hic) 90 races, got 5 seconds and 5 thirds.... I am without doubt the greatest racehorse that ever lived....blah blah blah..."

In response to this and approximately a half an hour later the second racehorse responded, "Oh yeah...when I was a young racehorse...from one hundred starts, I won (hic) 95 races, got 2 seconds and 3 thirds.... I am the greatest racehorse that ever lived.... blah blah blah..."

Now it was about this time that the bartender (a greyhound) decided that they were drunk enough so he said, "I am sick of you two telling one another how great you are, you are both drunk and I am throwing you out of the bar, but before I do I want to let you know that when I was a young greyhound, from one hundred starts, I won 100 races, no seconds and no thirds."

The two racehorses were shocked and for 5 minutes sat with their mouths open until the fist racehorse finally said, "Isn't that amazing (hic)...a talking greyhound!"

:D
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,684 Member
    Options
    stats for the day: nuthin like a runny nose when you're riding a bike
    ride hm 2 gym- 11.28min, 15.4mph 3mi
    spin- 40min, 93ar 106aw, 10-11g, 18.4mi
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.41min, 12.8amph, 1.4mi
    ride dome 2 hm- 17.33min 8.9amph 2.7mi
  • dia_nruf
    dia_nruf Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone. What a beautiful day we had. The sky was so blue! I loved it!

I have been trying all day to compose this letter and every time I got stopped in the middle.

Sassy: My weight problems started when I was 13. It seemed to have happened overnight and has been an uphill battle ever since. I started this weight loss journey mid January 2015. I am 5'4 and weighted 210lbs. My goal calorie intake is 1410 each day. I try not to eat my workout calories. To date I have lost 20.2 pounds and weigh 189.8 (Not sure why MFP won't register it correctly). My short term goal is to loose another 10lbs by the end of April when I have to head to Washington DC for a business conference. My long term goal is to get to 145lbs.

Beth, Kennebunk ME
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Did 20 minutes of yoga, held my plank for 2 min 40 sec (I'm back!!!) then took the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to do a 20-40-60 workout. Run for 20 seconds, walk fast for 40 seconds, and a little slower for 60 seconds.

Mary - I'm so sorry dh's dd treats you like this.

Well, Jess just got back from Boston, said the movers couldn't do the 21st but they could do the 22nd, so she asked us to stay up there an extra day. I don't have a problem since that's the last day of bowling and they're going to have the lunch "catered" which I think probably means the bowling alley will provide the food. I would take a sandwich for myself anyway. If I were to eat all fried food, I'd be sick as can be. Well, I'd told her that we couldn't make it the following weekend, and for some reason she arranged it for that weekend. She said she didn't want to move on her birthday weekend. So she had to decide which was more important -- to have mom and dad there or not move on her birthday weekend. Guess she decided having mom and dad there was more important. So we're going to stay an extra day. I'll miss the extremepump class, but that happens.

Oh, Janet - Sassy reminded me that I leave some of those packages of tuna down at the condo. If you were to bring those, you'd also have to bring a pair of scissors. How about sardines? They come in a can that just pops open

sassy - can you continue to wear your jawboneup2 when swimming? Or do you have to get the upgraded model? Does that one need a chest strap for the heartrate monitor?

Susan
    - welcome! You posted just perfectly

Joyce - I always look forward to your posts. You are NOT a hypocrite, you are a wonderful person that I'm proud to have the honor of communicating with

Chris - fantastic find with that sweater!

Diana - welcome back! Bet the graduation was fantastic. You must be so so proud

Mary - how I wish I could find pants at a thrift store. But I need petite sizes and they usually have regular sizes. Now I can get tops, sweaters, and shorts there.

Carol in NC
    - great finds too. I need to go shopping with you and Chris. No, WalMart doesn't have wheat or oat bran. I can usually find the oat bran in either Lowe's or even Big Lots (sometimes). check online, Bobs Red Mill has a coupon for $1 off. I get the wheat bran at a health food store. Boy, you sure were one busy gal!

selena
    - doing a happy dance with you

lauriegm - welcome

Sylvia - just what you need, your doc closing! I hate having to find a doc when I'm sick. I'm guessing that the hosp. could have given you a glycerine suppository, but they probably would have charged you something like $25 for one. Get better fast...I mean it...don't make me come over there!

I was doing so so well, we had mahjongg here and then I had this craving for some chocolate so I had some M&M's. Even tho I was over, I logged everything, and to my surprise, I wasn't over as much as I was afraid I would be

Alison
    - sending virtual chicken soup

Michele in NC