Calories or protein?

Options
I questioned which forum to put this, I decided that it may receive less derp in here. Simple question; its late in the day and you are short on protein but also short on calories. Do you get the protein and go over, or short your protein for the day? I know, I know, just don't let it happen......... I know, but what if?

Situation: Cutting 250-500 calories per day, progressive lifting 3xper week, said day is a lifting day.

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'd do the protein, especially on lifting day.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    One day of going over won't kill you but shorting protein can hinder muscle repair and make DOMS last longer.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    That's what I have done when it happens. I recently focused on trying to get the protein in and I sometimes still struggle with eating too much and missing my macros. Its getting better, but just like anything else, it takes some work to get it done.
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yeah definitely agree -- protein on weight lifting days. Don't worry. You'll figure it out!
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I would also get the protein in. Worst case (if you are cutting) is you end up at maintenance calorie level for the day.

Long term solution is to plan your day out so that doesn't happen. But you already got that part :P
  • never2bstopped
    Options
    That's what I have done when it happens. I recently focused on trying to get the protein in and I sometimes still struggle with eating too much and missing my macros. Its getting better, but just like anything else, it takes some work to get it done.

Look at what macro you are going over on and be more careful with it in the future.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    protein ftw. I was just slobbing off on a chicken leg last night in bed for this very reason llol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm not that anal about things and I probably wouldn't worry about either scenario. Being a little short on protein isn't going to really matter and neither is going over a little on your calories.
  • evolution328
    evolution328 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Protein definitely :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Given that protein has about 4 cal / g I'd go for the protein first as it is needed for muscle repair/recovery and gets you closer to your calorie target.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day, what snacks are available, etc. I tend to go over protein a few days a week so if I've had a run of a few days with higher protein, I wouldn't be bugged by a lower protein day, meaning that I'd eat whatever sounded good whether it had protein in it or not.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It kinda depends on what your protein goal is. Some people have much higher protein goals than what's necessary. If that's the case, then I'd recommend eating to the Calorie goal. That said, I'd generally agree that the protein goal should probably be met - and just deal with being over for a day on Calories.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about being exactly on target every day.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Are you saying go over on your protein recommendation and hit your daily calorie requirement? If so, then definitely do what you need to do to hit that calorie requirement. Going over protein is probably one of the better options but in general total calories is what matters most. I know of at least one study in-which they grossly overfed people on protein (In excess of maintenance calories) and they did not gain weight. Definitely hit your calorie target.
  • never2bstopped
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Are you saying go over on your protein recommendation and hit your daily calorie requirement? If so, then definitely do what you need to do to hit that calorie requirement. Going over protein is probably one of the better options but in general total calories is what matters most. I know of at least one study in-which they grossly overfed people on protein (In excess of maintenance calories) and they did not gain weight. Definitely hit your calorie target.

Color me curious to see this study. Can you post a link?

• Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Simple question; its late in the day and you are short on protein but also short on calories. Do you get the protein and go over, or short your protein for the day?
    Do you mean short on protein but HIGH on calories? If you're short on both then you just eat more.

If you're short on protein but high on calories I would ask yourself what's more important, losing lbs or gaining strength. I'd also ask yourself if you can make up for either of those the following day.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    One day of going over won't kill you but shorting protein can hinder muscle repair and make DOMS last longer.

Links?
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Clarification. either be short of protein or over on calories. Assume I over ate carbs/fat and am near or at calorie goal for the day, but say, 25% short on protein. These are arbitrary numbers just for conversation sake.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I just now took a look at your diary. I'm going to figure this was regarding Sunday. Yeah - more protein.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Color me curious to see this study. Can you post a link?

Unfortunately I can't link you into my school's library. Try searching this,

Author search;
    Antonio, Jose1ja839@nova.edu
    Peacock, Corey A.1cpeacock@nova.edu
    Ellerbroek, Anya1anyaeller@hotmail.com
    Fromhoff, Brandon1bf432@nova.edu
    Silver, Tobin1tsilver@nova.edu

Subject Terms:
    *PROTEINS
    *BODY composition
    *DIET
    *CARBOHYDRATES
    *WEIGHT gain