Intimidated at the gym.

Options
I'm a graduate student and have access to my university's gym. I used to be very active and fit, but after a semester of grad school I've put on some weight. I know what I'm doing at the gym, but I feel like the extra weight is making me scared to get in there.

My question is: how do I stop feeling intimidated? I want to use the weight room, but every time I walk by it's full of huge, scary guys with giant muscles lifting 20x more than I can. I want to lift but I don't want to look like a dumb fatty (even though I know what to do!).

Help!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    by going and doing.

Don't worry about what they are lifting- they don't care- they are going to look at you- you're a new face in the community.

Just go at off peak hours- if you truly know what you are doing- then you shouldn't be worried about it.

Go lift.
    Get fabulous.
    Don't worry about what anyone else thinks.
    Go in off peak hours- and it'll be less stressful.

Also- if you truly knew what you were doing- you'd know that those big scary dudes- aren't that big probably and aren't that scary- and that what weight they are lifting doesn't matter.

Not trying to call your bluff- but those are the nicest people in the gym who will be the ones who can help you if you need it. So. Just saying.

Don't worry about it- just go do it.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    You are psyching yourself out, just ignore those thoughts. I started lifting not even knowing what to do, and was intimidated but in reality nobody even paid attention to me, most people get into their routine and focus on that. You'll be fine imo
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Wear baggy stuff the first few times, it's like a power cloak
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    You are the awesome dude if u do it. Each to his own capability. You are doing this for you, not them. Eventually you become part of that room, respect us built on dedication not size. Go for it
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It's both natural and unfounded. I felt the same way at one point. I think many if not most people do. But there's nothing to do but do it. I go in at 5 am or after 10 pm still... but now it's because I don't want to wait on the rack.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Chin up, stand tall, own it!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If your really worried about it, go an hour before closing on a saturday night. Once you've done it once and eliminated the worry over what to do (get back into the routine, find what weights you currently need, find all the equipment locations, etc...) it will get easier. That way when you go and its crowded you know exactly where to go to get what you need...no fumbling around feeling awkward.

Then just do it. It will become second nature.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Those guys don't give two craps what you are lifting. Just go. You have to start somewhere.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    huge scrrry guys. On international women's day, no less. Sadz. :(

What happened to empowerment? Self determination?

Awkward.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    by going and doing.

Don't worry about what they are lifting- they don't care- they are going to look at you- you're a new face in the community.

Just go at off peak hours- if you truly know what you are doing- then you shouldn't be worried about it.

Go lift.
    Get fabulous.
    Don't worry about what anyone else thinks.
    Go in off peak hours- and it'll be less stressful.

Also- if you truly knew what you were doing- you'd know that those big scary dudes- aren't that big probably and aren't that scary- and that what weight they are lifting doesn't matter.

Not trying to call your bluff- but those are the nicest people in the gym who will be the ones who can help you if you need it. So. Just saying.

Don't worry about it- just go do it.

If you learn any single thing in grad school, learn to listen to this person. ^
  • PJR1985
    PJR1985 Posts: 14
    edited March 2015
    Options
    They don't care about what you are doing. The fact that you are lifting weights at all shows you have your priorities straight.
    I once went to failure on overhead presses and couldn't get the bar back up to the rack (though not for lack of, very awkward, trying). A guy came up to me and asked if I needed help getting the bar back up, very non-judgmental, just asking if he could help. It's not a big deal. Some people will always lift more than you, and some less. You do you.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Wear baggy stuff the first few times, it's like a power cloak

and wear had phones as well, you are more likely to be left alone.

arditarose wrote: »
    Those guys don't give two craps what you are lifting. Just go. You have to start somewhere.

good advice.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm a graduate student and have access to my university's gym. I used to be very active and fit, but after a semester of grad school I've put on some weight. I know what I'm doing at the gym, but I feel like the extra weight is making me scared to get in there.

My question is: how do I stop feeling intimidated? I want to use the weight room, but every time I walk by it's full of huge, scary guys with giant muscles lifting 20x more than I can. I want to lift but I don't want to look like a dumb fatty (even though I know what to do!).

Help!

Ha I feel exactly the same! I am the fatty in the weight room.

Started venturing in that section only very recently and I always feel a bit judged. But then I realise actually that's far more in my own head than anyone elses. Everyone is far too focused on their own workouts to worry about mine.

And actually, the only comments I have got from the scary muscle guys is that it's great to see a female doing it :smiley:
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I just try to go early morning or late at night. This has a 2 fold benefit: there are fewer people to be intimidated by and there are fewer people to compete with over who gets the squat rack next.

However, I have had really good interactions for the most part with all the muscle in the gym. People are polite, ask it you are done or when you expect to be done, and have helped me get un-trapped from the bench press (twice).

Walk in, head up, ear buds in (even if you don't have music), and a look of determination that says "I am going to have a beast of a session!" No one will bug you, except to maybe ask if you are done with something.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    What people don't realize is that gym goers are going to look at the new person. What people really care more about is seeing your transformation. We see your starting point. We'd like to see where you end up.

OP if you notice you use these " scary guys with giant muscles" which call them what you want have put work into accomplishing that. Your mad about what exactly? That they did it. Stop using them as an excuse to not better yourself.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I want to use the weight room, but every time I walk by it's full of huge, scary guys with giant muscles lifting 20x more than I can.
    They're actually really nice. The biggest guy in the gym gave me form advice when I was just starting to squat.
    Most people don't care what anyone else is doing at the gym though, as long as you're not rude or disruptive no one is going to be judging you.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Chances are they are not paying attention to you at all. I thought the first couple of times I went to the gym people were staring and thing "what is that fat girl doing here?" Well turns out I was wrong. Just walk in and work out.

To add- make sure you re-rack everything. I hate when people don't.
  • racheljess35
    racheljess35 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

To clarify, I only mean scary in the sense that I'm intimidated by how determined they are. I'm going to brave the weight room tonight! Thanks for your advice, everyone :)
  • jentatt
    jentatt Posts: 4
    Options
    I put in my headphones and crank the music. It helps me zone out and forget anyone else is there. I stick to what I have to do and get it done. Good luck, you'll do great!
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Agree with PP! Put your head phones in and do what you're going to do. If it makes you that uncomfortable, don't even look around. Those dudes are probably in their zone anyways and if they are noticing they're probably like, damn girl. Good for you.
This discussion has been closed.