8 - Rest
    9 - 7.2mi, easy

Total: 81.8mi

Mar goal: 275mi
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    SLHysell wrote: »
    I'd add to it that you get a deeper knowledge of the area than you could ever get get by whizzing past in a car.
    This is so true. I'm amazed at how many great foot trails there are around here and many of my vehicle bound friends aren't even aware that they exist.

@autumnblade75 Yay! Trying out another run, hope this time your ankles are ready!

@SLHysell You are going to go out there and run this half like wind racing through canyons. You've worked hard for this and you are ready to win. Be proud you've earned this!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    A little something funny ...

I noticed again yesterday morning that if the sun is behind you, casting a shadow onto the path ahead, and watch your shadow running over the terrain, you really appear to be zooming down the road, lol! Looking up occasionally to say hello was a little shock when perspective changed and I could see/feel my actual running speed.
    I know what you mean... my shadow looks really cool running, but if I catch a glimpse in a store window I think Quasimodo lives....

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

I noticed again yesterday morning that if the sun is behind you, casting a shadow onto the path ahead, and watch your shadow running over the terrain, you really appear to be zooming down the road, lol! Looking up occasionally to say hello was a little shock when perspective changed and I could see/feel my actual running speed.
    I know what you mean... my shadow looks really cool running, but if I catch a glimpse in a store window I think Quasimodo lives....

I'm very careful which car windows I will glance at if they're parked on the side streets - some are complimentary; most make me look like a toad.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    who would like to give me hill advice. I just cant concure them. is there a way to run up hill (like lean in, eyes down) or something that im missing? i usually end up just power walking up them. my marathon is in june and its in hilly seattle. I would like to jog up at least half of them :(

ps. i am the worlds slowest runner (a jogger actually) 12-12.5 min miler.

exercise.png
  • 4leighbee
    edited March 2015
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    who would like to give me hill advice. I just cant concure them. is there a way to run up hill (like lean in, eyes down) or something that im missing? i usually end up just power walking up them. my marathon is in june and its in hilly seattle. I would like to jog up at least half of them :(

exercise.png

Hills are my favorite. Running is a mind game. For the long, gradual hills, for a while you can run eyes down, lean forward, pretend it's a flat road. But for the sharper inclines, attack the hill until you are past the crest by a little ways (i.e., don't die at the top of the hill - keep going strong until you are past the apex), every single time. Imagine the uphill as always being the place to turn it on. If you race, this will put you in a good place to boost self-esteem throughout the run - you will be stronger where others are weaker. It will propel you through the finish line. ETA: use your arms when your legs get tired but most importantly train your brain to love hills.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    ...ps. i am the worlds slowest runner (a jogger actually) 12-12.5 min miler.

No worries, @dawna76 , I used to tell people, back when I first started running :
    If I ran a little faster, I'd be moving backwards

4q4vtf.gif
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm very careful which car windows I will glance at if they're parked on the side streets - some are complimentary; most make me look like a toad.

Oh so glad it's not just me... I had my husband video my stride yesterday.. Ugh no wonder he calls me "fatty fat fat fat". Was hoping the angle just made me look horrible.... I feel like if I watch it enough I'll desensitize myself to the self consciousness of body image.

[URL=http://s284.photobucket.com/user/beheyb/media/Screenshot_
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Oh so glad it's not just me... I had my husband video my stride yesterday.. Ugh no wonder he calls me "fatty fat fat fat". Was hoping the angle just made me look horrible....

OMG I hope you're kidding. Lemme at 'im!
  • Elise4270
    Options

Oh so glad it's not just me... I had my husband video my stride yesterday.. Ugh no wonder he calls me "fatty fat fat fat". Was hoping the angle just made me look horrible....

Ya you can have him! Lol! Man what was I thinkin'. He thinks he's funny... :s
  • 4leighbee
    edited March 2015
    Options

Ya you can have him! Lol! Man what was I thinkin'. He thinks he's funny... :s

Grr... xoxo
    Rock on, Elise. Wait - just saw the picture - you look fantastic! Dang, look at those calves, too. He doesn't know what he's talking about (or how much power words can have). You look like a runner - and there's nothing better than that, right?
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    ********* RUNNING -- CYCLING -- RUN TOTAL -- CYCLING TOTAL
    03/01 -- REST DAY
    03/02 -- 5.25 miles -- 28.00 miles => (05.25/140) -- (28.00/600)
    03/03 -- 0.00 miles -- 13.88 miles => (05.25/140) -- (41.88/600)
    03/04 -- 6.50 miles -- 22.00 miles => (11.75/140) -- (63.88/600)
    03/05 -- 9.01 miles -- 27.50 miles => (20.76/140) -- (91.38/600)
    03/06 -- 0.00 miles -- 20.22 miles => (20.76/140) -- (111.60/600)*
    03/07 -- 0.00 miles -- 54.87 miles => (20.76/140) -- (166.47/600)*
    03/08 -- 0.00 miles -- 15.73 miles => (20.76/140) -- (182.20/600)**

* Planned running rest for long run
    ** Planned long run day; spent time with family instead
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    My daughter took this pix of me running. LOL

aoi8830vh7lq.jpg
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @4leighbee‌ thanks! I feel better.

@skippygirlsmom‌ you look smokin' fast..... ;)
  • italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    March 1: 5 miles Tread mill
    March 2: 5 miles ™
    March 3: 2 miles ™ + strength
    March 4: 5 miles ™ no runners high today
    March 5: Rest
    March 6: 5.5 miles ™
    March 7: skied with the kids at Gunstock
    March 8: nothing
    March 9: 7.75 miles… First run outside in FOREVER!!! New England is Beautiful today!!!! Serious runners high. I'm pretty sure that I looked like a happy maniac running today. The sun was shining, snow melting, birds singing & I was flying (okay, for me anyway :-) Happy running day people.

exercise.png
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Don't let them affect your stride; keep your column vertical as you go, but manage your effort. I usually look up, but I don't lean back - keep the center of gravity the same. On the downside of the hill, don't get too aggressive - you'll trash your quads and burnout at the bottom. Perhaps you can try some repeats. Give an honest run up the hill for no more than 1/4mi (400M), and -walk- down it. Repeat 4-6 times with proper warmup and cooldown.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    LOL thanks @elise4270 I agree with 4leighbee you look great. My daughter and I ran a 5K last year and every picture they got of me looked like I was walking so I refused to buy them. I just have a short stride, which is weird because I have long legs.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    LOL thanks @elise4270 I agree with 4leighbee you look great. My daughter and I ran a 5K last year and every picture they got of me looked like I was walking so I refused to buy them. I just have a short stride, which is weird because I have long legs.

I've got a fairly short stride too, no matter the distance. Usually indicates a higher cadence, and that's a sign of better form.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options

I've got a fairly short stride too, no matter the distance. Usually indicates a higher cadence, and that's a sign of better form.

I knew I was doing something right :smile: My thought has always been if my feet are not on the ground they can't be propelling me forward. The trainer at the high school worked hard with my daughter to shorten her stride because she was having Achilles problems, in doing so she cut 5 minutes off her 5K time in one cross country season.