Calling All Oatmeal Lovers!

Options

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Savory oatmeal is the bomb. I like to make a mushroom "risotto" out of it.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    Vanilla, cinnamon, and a few raisins/fruit/a few tablespoons of muesli.

I also make overnight oatmeal. I mix oats with flavoured yoghurt, some fat free milk, and top with fresh fruit in the morning. (That's my summer oatmeal because it sits in the fridge overnight)

Sorry to be so thick but do you mean the oats just sit in the liquid and at no stage do you heat it up? That sounds so easy. As you can gather I'm not much of a cook :(
    Do you then eat it cold or would it be possible to warm up in the morning?
    Trying to get healthier.. I simply use one of those pot oats that you add hot water to at the moment which I know aren't that healthŷ.

Sorry for replying so late, got a bit busy. Yeah you eat it cold. That's why I eat it in the summer. You don't cook it, it absorbs all the moisture from the yoghurt and milk and becomes soft. I usually add 100grams of yoghurt and 1/2 cup of milk. Just mix it the night before and leave it in the fridge until the next morning, covered. :) then add your fresh fruits.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I like it with brown sugar, butter, and cream so I don't think that's any help to you lol

Otherwise, I buy lots of fresh cranberries in the fall and freeze them, then we love those in oatmeal with a touch of vanilla extract and less sugar than normal. Absolutely love the sour. It can be good with a chopped fresh apple too or a squeeze of lemon (no vanilla when using the lemon) and not much sugar.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Josalinn wrote: »
    Well Check out the Oatmeal Artist.

I just posted in another threat that I am rotating between PB oatmeal and Runny eggs over oatmeal with bacon. I make my oatmeal with water. And for the PB, I add 1 tbs brown sugar.

I know the egg one sounds gross but I love it! Especially with cracked black pepper and salt!

I love that site but last time I checked most links were broken. Very frustrating.

ETA: it seems fixed now. Great site.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

I also make overnight oatmeal. I mix oats with flavoured yoghurt, some fat free milk, and top with fresh fruit in the morning. (That's my summer oatmeal because it sits in the fridge overnight)

Sorry to be so thick but do you mean the oats just sit in the liquid and at no stage do you heat it up? That sounds so easy. As you can gather I'm not much of a cook :(
    Trying to get healthier.. I simply use one of those pot oats that you add hot water to at the moment which I know aren't that healthŷ.

Sorry for replying so late, got a bit busy. Yeah you eat it cold. That's why I eat it in the summer. You don't cook it, it absorbs all the moisture from the yoghurt and milk and becomes soft. I usually add 100grams of yoghurt and 1/2 cup of milk. Just mix it the night before and leave it in the fridge until the next morning, covered. :) then add your fresh fruits.

This is my Summer Oats plans! So many great ideas on the net or Pintrest for what to add to them. I finally sound some of those white Mason jar screw on lids for the jars. YAY, I'm preparing for warmer weather to do the oatmeal switch over. ha

Anyone doing this with Steel Cut Oats? Or are most of you using plain oats?

Thanks for all the great ideas all... much appreciated :)
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options

This is my Summer Oats plans! So many great ideas on the net or Pintrest for what to add to them. I finally sound some of those white Mason jar screw on lids for the jars. YAY, I'm preparing for warmer weather to do the oatmeal switch over. ha

I use normal oats mostly. :)
  • senglishrose
    senglishrose Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate so I toss a few Nestle's "dark chocolate" morsels -- just a few and it adds a delight chocolate favor to the oatmeal. While I know making oatmeal yourself is better, for work purposes, I use the instant and add the morsels to it so I can eat it at work.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Josalinn wrote: »
    Well Check out the Oatmeal Artist.

I just posted in another threat that I am rotating between PB oatmeal and Runny eggs over oatmeal with bacon. I make my oatmeal with water. And for the PB, I add 1 tbs brown sugar.

I know the egg one sounds gross but I love it! Especially with cracked black pepper and salt!

I love that site but last time I checked most links were broken. Very frustrating.

http://www.theoatmealartist.com/recipe-index/my-favorite-recipes/ I clicked around her site and was able to check out the recipes and ideas she's got. The entire site is working properly but parts of it are.

Looks like a fun site!

Oh and I've been wanting to add an egg to my oatmeal for ages now! I just keeping forgetting about it. Pretty much my daily routine is Oatmeal with 1 T. Trader Joe's Sunflower nut butter in it. NOM
  • berescga
    berescga Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I eat either overnight oats, homemade granola, or oats with peanut butter, cinnamon and some brown sugar. My son loves a few chocolate chips in his. I've also added cocoa while cooking to make chocolate oatmeal. I'm a big fan of oats. I add oats to most of my baking. Oats in pancakes are so yummy, but Dh hates it! My boys love it though so I still do it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

You don't need Mason jars. I just use a pyrex container, lol.

Personally though, I don't like it with yogurt at all, but I like it with milk, but still don't like it enough to use my calories on it most of the time... Would rather just have hot oatmeal, as I can just use water then.
  • MzShelleRenea
    MzShelleRenea Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I do steel cut oats (I <3 the texture) with PB2 (peanut butter/chocolate), some slivered almonds and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I LOVE it.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

You don't need Mason jars. I just use a pyrex container, lol.

Personally though, I don't like it with yogurt at all, but I like it with milk, but still don't like it enough to use my calories on it most of the time... Would rather just have hot oatmeal, as I can just use water then.

Thanks for the tip! All I use now is water...and I love it. Well then I won't worry about buying the lids I found. LOL
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I put Apple Sauce and Cinnamon in my oats.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Funny thing I was going to start an Oatmeal thread this morning and came across this one! YAY :)

OK, here's a question for you Oatmeal lovers... how are you measuring out your dry oats?

I currently have a container of Old Fashioned Oats, so what I've been doing is taking a 1/2c measuring cup and going that route. Then I add in 1c water and pop it in the microwave for 2:30 seconds (that way it never spills over the sides UGH).

So up until about a week ago it never occurred to me I was even measuring them wrong..I was going by the quickest route.

So one day I measured out my 1/2c oats and did the tare thing with my container and dumped them in. uh oh Not good... turns out 1/8c over when I weigh them compared to measuring them in the cup.

So now I know and frankly I have no clue why I even was measuring them as I always weigh solids. SO now every morning I have to weigh them out... I'm trying to think of some simple method to pre-weigh portions and have them ready.

What's everyone else doing? Are you all weighing your Oats?

Yes I weigh. I HATE it that they say 1/2c (40g) is a serving. 1/2c is actually close to 60g. 1/3c is 40g I've tried on many different scales and have gotten consistent results. That's quite a discrepancy. Which is why you should weigh with a scale :)

• Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My recipe is 1 cup oats (not quick oats), 3/4 plain greek yogurt, 1 cup skim milk. To this I ad 1/2 chopped apple, 1 T raisins, vanilla, cinnamon. Pu in fridge overnight. My hubby sweetens his with honey, I use splenda. This is good cold, or hot (microwave for 30 sec)
    3/4 c is 1 seving. I eat this with a 30g protein shake and it makes me have a balanced breakfast.
  • kmorales_4
    kmorales_4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options

These look SOOOOO good. I just sent the recipe over email to myself.
  • jeanholly
    jeanholly Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    "If you aren't opposed to trying savory, I am absolutely obsessed with this recipe:
    1/2 cup quick oats
    1 serving liquid egg whites
    Onion and Jalapeno diced and sauteed with a smidge of oil
    1 egg (prepped to your preference)"

This sounds delicious. I love my oatmeal savory and I often make it w/ scallions and soy sauce. I know, weird....

• racheljacobsen
    racheljacobsen Posts: 537 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I LOVE oatmeal too and eat it 6 out of 7 mornings, I don't eat preflavored packets, I always use plain rolled oats, water and flavor it myself. Some of my favorite pairings:

Dried cranberries and honey
    Raisins and honey
    Brown sugar and any fruit/dried fruit especially fresh bananas
    Pumpkin pie spice and any fruit/dried fruit
    Any spreadable fruit preserves love apricot has to be cold and mixed with the hot oatmeal
    Homemade applesauce has to be cold and mixed with the hot oatmeal
  • racheljacobsen
    racheljacobsen Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Funny thing I was going to start an Oatmeal thread this morning and came across this one! YAY :)

OK, here's a question for you Oatmeal lovers... how are you measuring out your dry oats?

I currently have a container of Old Fashioned Oats, so what I've been doing is taking a 1/2c measuring cup and going that route. Then I add in 1c water and pop it in the microwave for 2:30 seconds (that way it never spills over the sides UGH).

I put my bowl on my food scale, weigh out my add-ins, zero the scale and weigh out 40g of oats (1 serving size on my package) and then add 1 cup water and microwave for 3 minutes. I use a special bowl because yes it does boil over the sides if I use any other bowl.

I weigh all solids and liquids on my food scale and only measure water in a measuring cup, unless I am baking than measuring all the way.

• illbeing
    illbeing Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use mornflake superfast rolled oats cooked with water. When I want a sweet treat I add a sachet of low calorie hot chocolate powder to the water before the oats. Lots of stirring and I end up with chocolate oatmeal, it's damn delicious. If I fancy it a bit creamier I stir in a spoonful of plain yoghurt. Keeps me going for hours too.