Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    And I agree that people should incorporate resistance training into their routine to preserve their muscle mass as they lose, and people should be more interested in BF% than goal weight.

I just feel like the original post didn't quite say that (yes, you CAN lose fat doing cardio) and it was just too full of incorrect information.

Mabee.

I agree with the general concepts but for the average Jane or Joe doing some sort of resistance training (and not necessarily a heavily lifting routine) during reasonable rate weight loss coupled with a calorie deficit will translate into fat loss. Every single time. An exercise regimen that is adhered to and in line with personal goals and preferences works.

The OP seems to have a monolithic solution for all which is, of course, nonsense.

I fixed that for you.

How does a reasonable-rate weight loss occur without a calorie deficit?

I can demonstrate, I just need:
    1. A bottle of bourbon
    2. laughing gas (for me)
    3. A willing volunteer
    4. My buck knife

reasonable-rate. Chopping off body parts is excluded by the definition we understand of this. (Refering to the usual deficit weight loss at up to 1% of BW usually recommended on MFP)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I'm in for the second horrible thread started by the OP.

Ditto.
    2c685099120f5548a26fa6acc0ef5239.jpg
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    jtabiolo wrote: »
    All I was sayin is there is a big difference between losing weight and losing body fat percentage. Peoples midset should be to lose body fat percentage rather than looking at the scale to see the lowest number.
    I'm not saying just to lift weights and so forth. I'm saying people should incorporate some type of strength training (doesn't have to be weights) to not just lose weight but lose body fat percentage. Yea doing only cardio may drop a lot of weight, but by doing weight training plus cardio will help lower your body fat.

The problem is you presented the idea that weight training while losing weight is big news that most people don't know. In fact, it is part of the responses to practically every single newbie post on MFP.

Maybe you should spend some time reading lots of posts and responses in the various forums here before starting more threads where you very vaguely give advice like you are re-inventing the wheel when there are already plenty of MFP veterans taking the time to say the exact same thing to folks with questions?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »
    giphy.gif

BWAH HAHAHAHAHAHA I love this so much.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    And I agree that people should incorporate resistance training into their routine to preserve their muscle mass as they lose, and people should be more interested in BF% than goal weight.

I just feel like the original post didn't quite say that (yes, you CAN lose fat doing cardio) and it was just too full of incorrect information.

Mabee.

I agree with the general concepts but for the average Jane or Joe doing some sort of resistance training (and not necessarily a heavily lifting routine) during reasonable rate weight loss coupled with a calorie deficit will translate into fat loss. Every single time. An exercise regimen that is adhered to and in line with personal goals and preferences works.

The OP seems to have a monolithic solution for all which is, of course, nonsense.

I fixed that for you.

I can demonstrate, I just need:
    1. A bottle of bourbon
    2. laughing gas (for me)
    3. A willing volunteer
    4. My buck knife

reasonable-rate. Chopping off body parts is excluded by the definition we understand of this. (Refering to the usual deficit weight loss at up to 1% of BW usually recommended on MFP)

Oh, not going to take structure. Just perform a back alley hack job at subq fat.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    All I was sayin is there is a big difference between losing weight and losing body fat percentage. Peoples midset should be to lose body fat percentage rather than looking at the scale to see the lowest number.
    I'm not saying just to lift weights and so forth. I'm saying people should incorporate some type of strength training (doesn't have to be weights) to not just lose weight but lose body fat percentage. Yea doing only cardio may drop a lot of weight, but by doing weight training plus cardio will help lower your body fat.

The problem is you presented the idea that weight training while losing weight is big news that most people don't know. In fact, it is part of the responses to practically every single newbie post on MFP.

Maybe you should spend some time reading lots of posts and responses in the various forums here before starting more threads where you very vaguely give advice like you are re-inventing the wheel when there are already plenty of MFP veterans taking the time to say the exact same thing to folks with questions?

Bingo! I was thinking the same thing. OP, I'm not sure you're aware of your audience. MFP method is built around calorie counting--leading most users to be quite aware that we must appropriately manage our intake (based on loss/maintain/gain, etc.).

And most (all?) newbies are encouraged and educated about an exercise plan to maximize their results (cardio for heart health--and extra calories to eat if need be--I like that part, but it's not necessary/resistance training to help retain LBM and to have a lean body/low BF% when goal is reached).

This is not big news--spend some time reading here--your audience has way more collective knowledge than you give credit.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    The real misconception is that there is a "best", "perfect", "always" or "never" way to do things.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    The real misconception is that there is a "best", "perfect", "always" or "never" way to do things.

This.

Honestly, this feels like the age old weight training vs. cardio debate ("My way is better than yours") that I wish would die. I'm a runner - it's what I love to do. It's helped condition and strengthen my heart, alleviate my depression, and push me me in a unique way. I love it and it suits me.

Is it the most efficient way to burn body fat? I'm not so sure that I care, because that's not necessarily my top goal. I do weight train and see the value in that, but as it supports my running. I don't enjoy being lectured why my way is "less than" someone else's. Particularly when they don't know me or understand what running has done for my spirit.

Bottom line, everyone has different goals. Different activities that inspire and drive them for a number of reasons. The most important thing is getting off the couch, however that looks. It may be running, or weight training, or something else entirely. And that's cool in my book.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    So this thread isn't about the virgin birth then...

I see.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options

This.

Honestly, this feels like the age old weight training vs. cardio debate ("My way is better than yours") that I wish would die. I'm a runner - it's what I love to do. It's helped condition and strengthen my heart, alleviate my depression, and push me me in a unique way. I love it and it suits me.

Is it the most efficient way to burn body fat? I'm not so sure that I care, because that's not necessarily my top goal. I do weight train and see the value in that, but as it supports my running. I don't enjoy being lectured why my way is "less than" someone else's. Particularly when they don't know me or understand what running has done for my spirit.

Bottom line, everyone has different goals. Different activities that inspire and drive them for a number of reasons. The most important thing is getting off the couch, however that looks. It may be running, or weight training, or something else entirely. And that's cool in my book.

giphy.gif
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options

This.

Honestly, this feels like the age old weight training vs. cardio debate ("My way is better than yours") that I wish would die. I'm a runner - it's what I love to do. It's helped condition and strengthen my heart, alleviate my depression, and push me me in a unique way. I love it and it suits me....

This. I'll do some core stuff and strength work so long as it adds to my goal for improving my running. When I am trying to get a long run in during the week and am on the treadmill for 2 hours I don't want some "trainer" coming along and telling me I should be lifting heavy instead of running.
    I'm not interested in lifting heavy, it's not my goal or a desire. Just go do your thing and leave me to do mine.
    When I want advice about what I should and shouldn't be doing I'll find people with the same goals as me and get advice from them.
  • jtabiolo
    jtabiolo Posts: 50
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    To the OP, you have a good point--weight loss and fat loss aren't the same.

"Yo-yo dieting"--the gain/loss/gain/loss cycle most of our lives have or will follow--is so damaging. You lose fat and muscle, but typically regain only fat and more fat.

Numbers--

I lost -1.1%/month body fat percentage the first few months and -0.5%/month later on without any strength training. Adding weight training and sufficient protein, that jumped to -1.5%/month.

If my results are typical, if you're obese, any healthy weight loss (<1% bodyweight per week) is likely to drop your body fat percentage. (Experts caution that faster weight loss will cause a greater percentage of muscle loss.) Adding strength training yields far better results!
  • jtabiolo
    Options
    To the OP, you have a good point--weight loss and fat loss aren't the same.

"Yo-yo dieting"--the gain/loss/gain/loss cycle most of our lives have or will follow--is so damaging. You lose fat and muscle, but typically regain only fat and more fat.

Numbers--

I lost -1.1%/month body fat percentage the first few months and -0.5%/month later on without any strength training. Adding weight training and significant protein, that jumped to -1.5%/month.

If my results are typical, if you're obese, any healthy weight loss (<1% bodyweight per week) is likely to drop your body fat percentage. Experts caution that faster weight loss will cause a greater percentage of muscle loss. But, strength training helps immensely!

Thank you
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Someone who is strength training & cardio will reach their goal much rapidly than someone that is just doing cardio. You tell me one trainer that will tell their client, do nothing but cardio. Absolutely none. Every trainer incorporates some type of strength training to their ability. You burn more calories and body fat at the same time. It's not bro science.

hi there. the trainer at my gym told me i should only being doing cardio since im fat

he only agreed to add in some weights when i kept insisting i didnt want to only do cardio

he then told me that i should spend at least 90% of my time doing cardio since ya know fat folk should only do cardio

i happen to think hes wrong but it is what it is

• gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I think the guy had good intentions with his opening post but the delivery was brutal. I agree with you on some points OP, but to someone who's new at this and doesn't know very much; it could be counter productive.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

We do know the difference!!!

That article is from 2009. This is not breaking news. We've already got it.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

Stuff like this makes me feel you're posting with the assumption that the majority of us are morons..and you're some all knowing entity sent to inform the masses.

It rubs me the wrong way.
  • jtabiolo
    Options
    I think the guy had good intentions with his opening post but the delivery was brutal. I agree with you on some points OP, but to someone who's new at this and doesn't know very much; it could be counter productive.

Like I had mention prior, it was late and I did not proof read my post. The next morning I read it and clarified it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Mabee.

I fixed that for you.

that was my point- and why I added that specific line in there.

what you said was pretty on point- but just was lacking the whole calorie deficit thing.