Bummed...what have I done?

Options
13»

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    OP, you sound like me when faced with a particularly odious chore. I know I need to do it, and I know how to do it, and yet here I sit having just one more cup of tea while beating myself up about not doing it.

I can't remember where I first heard this expression, but it has served me well..."well begun, is half done." All you need to do is simply start. You don't have to tackle the whole project all at once, just do one simple thing. It seems to create momentum.

Maybe for you it would be just going outside and doing a short walk. You don't have to do miles, just put your sneakers on and walk aroung the block. I'll bet if you just did that tonight, it will be easier to do tomorrow and eventually you will start back to the eating habits that you already know work.

Darn you. Now I have to get up from my computer and finish doing my taxes like I said I would.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. That's where I am about right now. I'm completely beating myself up over it too. A week ago I started using meal replacement shakes and really watching my calories. This week I started doing the 30 Day Shred. Looking at before/after weight loss photos motivates me too.

Sorry you are dealing with this too! I hope we can both get back on track :smile:
  • esaucier17
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I don't understand what's so much harder about making healthier dinners than 'not healthy' dinners, if you're going to cook anyway.

What do you do when you just sit on the couch? Buy an exercise bike and do it on the bike instead. It doesn't have to be 'either or'.

Healthier meals take more time to make in my opinion (cutting and using more veggies, begin creative with spices and flavors)....it's really just an excuse. I can do it.. I've got so lazy!
    It is also harder when my son and fiance don't like a lot of the better foods I should be cooking and eating so I'll end up making 2 meals. I did it before and I think just got burnt out...plus a burger and fries or an extra cheese pizza are quicker and taste so much better some times :smile:

I do have an ellipical set up in my bedroom. My fiance is hooking up our TV so I can watch Netflix while I'm on it....I can stay on longer when I have something interested to watch on TV!

• klappeh
    klappeh Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel because this was me up until a month or so ago. In 2013 I lost about 30, and by January 2015 it was all back on and I was lazier than I could remember. I was depressed...and I toyed with getting a dr. to put me on appetite suppressants, something I would have never done before.

But eventually I just knew I had to kick my butt into gear, and do it the natural way. You have to just do it..but once you start, it's like getting a ball rolling :)

It helps me to work out in the morning, bc after work all I want to do is relax.
    As far as food goes, you've done it before and you know how it works--you just have to start :) Good luck!
  • esaucier17
    Options
    1Foot2Foot wrote: »
    I've been there, several times, and most recently I ran across this set of easy action steps from a MFP user/blogger to help get started (for the first time or the 10th time), http://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com/2014/04/29/5-things-you-can-do-in-the-next-24-hours-to-start-your-weight-loss-journey/

Going through these really helped me feel some control right away, especially meal planning. If I take a couple hours to plan ahead for the week, I don't have as many tough in the moment decisions that often lead to poor choices. In the last couple of months since I've gotten serious again about my health, I've been able to be gracious with myself and have lost pounds along the way.

Thank you! That link has some great tips.
  • RudeboyCantFail
    RudeboyCantFail Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Seems like you got lots of helpful feedback based on your responses above, so I just want to wish you luck as you implement changes. You can do this!
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Don't go home after work - go to the gym, or for that walk... just make it part of your work day - you can't go home til five even if you want to... sometimes you have to make the gym like that - you can't go home til the gym is over. Everyone struggles getting there sometimes, but we still go.

Also, plan a time on the weekends to plan meals - my husband and I get a lot of joy out of finding healthy but yummy meals we want to try and shopping for them. If you have all the meals planned and the ingredients in the cupboard each week, its not that hard to make those healthier meals than it is to make the less healthy ones. Also, if you struggle with craving "bad" foods, remember that there are no such thing - if you really want pizza, get a good workout in, and then have a big salad and a slice. By not making anything off limits, it makes it harder to fall of the wagon.
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The diet marketers bank on people like you that want to start feeling better right away. Don't get suckered in. I suggest making a personal contract with yourself to do something different this week; not to difficult a goal, something you can definitely do. Make that a permanent change and you have a new habit. Re-evaluate in a few weeks and change something else. Over time you will be back to that bike-riding, active, slimmer you.

Right away if you switch to one drink in the evening you are going to see a significant drop in daily calories.

All of this.

Also, OP, I'm in darn near the exact same boat. Last year, I was just about at my goal weight (and definitely at a weight where I felt really great) and then I went through a huge breakup, subsequent move, and basically started my life over from scratch with almost zero support system. From June 2014-November 2014, I was just actively gaining weight. One day of "you can eat pizza and drink a bottle of wine today to feel better" turned into six months. I didn't weigh myself because I didn't think I could emotionally handle it but I would venture to guess at least a 20 pound gain based on the way my clothes (didn't) fit (which shows quite a bit on my 5'2" frame!).

I totally understand that feeling of wanting a "jump start" but I agree with all the posters who are saying: don't worry about Advocare or whatever else to "jump start" your efforts, focus on making sustainable changes that make you feel good. It's frustrating, I know; I want to have all that weight back off immediately! But I know that's not realistic and that it's going to take months not just a few days.

I know that for me, when I'm in a place of eating and drinking to excess, I feel bad both emotionally and physically and when I feel that badly I'm sadly more likely to continue making poor decisions. (I feel bad, so I eat to feel better; now I've gained weight so I feel bad so I eat to feel better, etc etc etc). Especially as the poster I quoted said: alcohol = depressant! It's making everything feel so much worse, I promise. I was getting to a point of drinking every night when I got home too and just cutting that out made a huge world of difference--and you don't have to be drinking to the point of getting drunk for it to affect your mood, energy, etc. The good news is that I also know that once I start to feel positively again, it inspires me to make more good decisions and then the positive cycle starts so it's all about forcing myself to take positive steps until the good feelings start to kick in.

By asking these questions, it sounds like you're getting to that place of mentally being ready for the change. Be excited about that! Celebrate that good feeling! And then think about what small changes you can start to make today. That's the "jump start" you need -- whether it's logging every day this week without worrying about a deficit, not drinking alcohol during the work week, going for a walk a few days this week, etc. I think you'll find that as you start to take positive action and start feeling better, you'll want to keep it up and take even bigger steps!

Good luck, OP! :)

• MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Look at it as long term solution and not a short term solution or else you'll be here again next year saying the same thing. Its a life style change. What are you going to do after 21 days?
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Also, wanted to add: food prep has been a huge help for me, as other responses have said! I spend a few hours on Sunday chopping veggies, prepping/cooking big batches of things I can eat through the week, and portioning out snacks, packing stuff to bring to work for lunch, etc. On the weeks that I take the time to do this on Sunday, I am on point all week with my food. I'm also finding that I enjoy that time on Sundays! I like to listen to a good audiobook or watch some Netflix while I food prep. It's amazing how those few hours can make a world of difference to the rest of the week; the easier I can make those good decisions, the more likely I am to follow through!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I know I eat better when I plan my meals in advance, so I need to do that.
    I also put my workouts in my google calendar. My husband can see my gym days. I go on days where he is able to be home with our daughter when she is in bed, and go to the gym around 8-8:30 pm, because that is the only time I can fit it in. Because he can see my gym days, I know he will stay home, and also he can call me on it if I have a gym day scheduled and ditch it. I have given him permission to kick me in the pants if I start slacking ;)
  • esaucier17
    Options
    Also, wanted to add: food prep has been a huge help for me, as other responses have said! I spend a few hours on Sunday chopping veggies, prepping/cooking big batches of things I can eat through the week, and portioning out snacks, packing stuff to bring to work for lunch, etc. On the weeks that I take the time to do this on Sunday, I am on point all week with my food. I'm also finding that I enjoy that time on Sundays! I like to listen to a good audiobook or watch some Netflix while I food prep. It's amazing how those few hours can make a world of difference to the rest of the week; the easier I can make those good decisions, the more likely I am to follow through!

I am going to do this this weekend. I know i do wayyyy better too when I plan. I need to go through my recipes and plan and prep ahead. Thank you for the advice and encouragement!
  • esaucier17
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    I know I eat better when I plan my meals in advance, so I need to do that.
    I also put my workouts in my google calendar. My husband can see my gym days. I go on days where he is able to be home with our daughter when she is in bed, and go to the gym around 8-8:30 pm, because that is the only time I can fit it in. Because he can see my gym days, I know he will stay home, and also he can call me on it if I have a gym day scheduled and ditch it. I have given him permission to kick me in the pants if I start slacking ;)

Fitting in time is the hardest! Now that it's daylight savings time I am so happy I'll be able to bike and walk or jog even with my son (he is 8)
    I would like to get up and do it before work but I already wake up at 5:30am everyday for work and getting my son ready and off to school.
    You are blessed to have your husband to take care of your daughter so you can go at night :smile: I'm going to start with walking, biking and my ellipical. Will see about a gym later :wink:

Thanks for you input!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    korishka wrote: »
    I started with the 24 Day Challenge and I lost 15lbs.. I wouldn't suggest looking to close at reviews on a website especially because those people are not buying it through a distributor and getting proper support. I stand behind Advocare 100%, a very good friend of mine just hit her 50lb mark because of Advocare. I have reached 20lbs myself. The 24 Day Challenge is a great way to jump back in a long as it is done properly, through a distributor getting the right support, meal plans, and coaching.

The first one-star review is terrifying. And the person DID buy it from a distributor.

amazon.com/AdvoCare-Advocare-24-Day-Challenge/product-reviews/B007R6ZUFU/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I've been where you were at. 3 years ago I was on here and went from 154 to 140, until a pair of injuries struck, one of which led to a severely frozen shoulder that had basically no mobility for 18 months. Due to feeling sorry for myself, and allowing myself to eat junk and baking for comfort, I not only regained the 14, but added another 15 on top of that!

Fast forward to August when both my parents were waiting for emergency surgery and my dad was fighting cancer, and I realized that I HAD to learn a new way to deal with stress. By the 6th month mark back at it I had lost 29 to sit at 140, and have dropped another 7 since then. Never in my wildest dreams did I see 133 in my future, but now my goal is 129. Need to lose the muffin top!

No tricks, no gimmicks, I just took the time to really learn as I went. Logging accuracy is crucial, and making compromises. Figuring what I could sacrifice, and what I wanted to make work.

Good luck, and remember, you can do this!