Soylent

Options

Replies

• Silverdracos
    Silverdracos Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It's named Soylent BECAUSE he has a sense of humor and couldn't resist calling it that. There was a really good article about it in PopSci last year. It was designed to be Total Meal Replacement. To simplify meal preparation and make consumption itself more efficient and healthy. If I didn't have a family that insists on cooked food I'd probably be using it, or one of the DIY versions. I love the fact that the company was encouraging people to explore DIY while they were still developing the market version. I currently use a different MRS for breakfast because I don't have to pay for it. But if the supply of free Vital Balance drys up, I'll probably come knocking on Soylent's door.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    I never tried Soylent. I dislike their assertion that it is healthy to replace all food with it. Sure you might not get malnutrition. But you'd have to be out of your mind to think that eating just soylent and nothing else is as healthy in the long run as eating a well balanced diet.
    Rosa Labs actually encourages consumers to decide for themselves what mix of Soylent and real food is right for them.
    https://faq.soylent.me/hc/en-us/articles/200332089-Eating-nothing-but-Soylent
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hmm if we can make it cheaper, we should use it in prisons. All the nutrients, easy to make, cheap and if the prisoners get tired of it, too bad don't come back then.

Hmm maybe welfare too, that way the government is ensured that the welfare population is getting adequate nutrition(especially children) and they can't sell or trade it because most of the population wouldn't want it(only for those who abuse their welfare of course not all do) and it's extra motivation to get off welfare so you can eat real food. I know there are lots of holes in this but hey right out of the gate it's not a bad idea.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    No answer? Are you supposed to make/drink the whole soylent at once, or across the day?
    Depends.
    Is there an easy way to make smaller versions if you only want to replace one meal?
    Yes.

Well, that sure cleared things up. Thanks bro XD

Seriously... eaten as smaller meals, the ingredients seem like nothing more than when you add lots of stuff to your grits or oatmeal or whatever (and the ingredients DO start with corn masa - similar to grits - or oats in a lot of recipes it seems). Not bashing it or anything: for that reason it seems like it *would* be fine for total replacement. I eat hot cereal with stuff added *every day* at work, switching it up between sweet and savory so it doesn't get TOO boring (because it's kind of a boring meal really). Only difference is the rest of my nutrition comes from a variety of less-boring meals the rest of the day and on weekends. Not sure where being processed or not matters. Not really any different from eating all your protein as meat vs gotten from a powder.

(and, hey! I learned something reading the FAQ's. Apparently the weird skin thing going on around just my eyes could be a biotin deficiency. Maybe not as I eat plenty of foods rich in it, but maybe my over-eating in the past was making up for some sort of genetic defect and now that I'm on like 1/4 previous calories a 'sufficient amount' is no longer enough. Know what to bring up at next doc appointment!)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Hmm if we can make it cheaper, we should use it in prisons. All the nutrients, easy to make, cheap and if the prisoners get tired of it, too bad don't come back then.

Hmm maybe welfare too, that way the government is ensured that the welfare population is getting adequate nutrition(especially children) and they can't sell or trade it because most of the population wouldn't want it(only for those who abuse their welfare of course not all do) and it's extra motivation to get off welfare so you can eat real food. I know there are lots of holes in this but hey right out of the gate it's not a bad idea.

For some reason many people assume Soylent is a relatively cheap form of food. It's about an order of magnitude more expensive than truly cheap sources of food like wheat. You'd be amazed at how cheap something like a bag of whole wheat flour is, and how much food you could get from it.

Of course truly cheap food sources like wheat flour aren't sufficient alone (and certainly are not optimal for health). But with a bit of other foods mixed in you could get everything you need to survive for much less cost than Soylent. I'm not arguing that it would be healthy, just that it would prevent malnutrition and be much cheaper.
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    onyxgirl17 wrote: »
    I don't know but in for the

"Soylent green is people"!

Made my day!!!
  • Beautifulreflections
    Beautifulreflections Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Came in for silly Futurama references and found so much seriousness.

Leaving sad :(
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    woohoo! Soylent in my Duff beer!
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    2igpno2tvxpw.gif
    77.gif 499.4K
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    It's named Soylent BECAUSE he has a sense of humor and couldn't resist calling it that. There was a really good article about it in PopSci last year. It was designed to be Total Meal Replacement. To simplify meal preparation and make consumption itself more efficient and healthy. If I didn't have a family that insists on cooked food I'd probably be using it, or one of the DIY versions. I love the fact that the company was encouraging people to explore DIY while they were still developing the market version. I currently use a different MRS for breakfast because I don't have to pay for it. But if the supply of free Vital Balance drys up, I'll probably come knocking on Soylent's door.

Actually, he named it this because of a book written way, way back in the day about London, England and how they had a shortage of food, so someone made up a "meal replacement" shake made from soybeans and lentils, hence "soylent."

I do it full time right now, but for reasons other than convenience and because I like to do things differently.

I have a plathora of food sensitivities which made my grocery bill skyrocket to over $500/month. Mix this with a recent graduate income, living in an expensive city, owning a recently purchased car, paying off my student debts, etc., my cost of living was equal to or higher than my income.

I now drink a DIY soylent mix, and have been dong so for a few weeks. It costs me under $200/month for food now. A significant savings and the only place I could cut back.

The only observation I will give: I feel so much better drinking this than any foods I have eaten before, especially right after I drink it. I have more energy, I'm never bloated, I sleep better. Life is good.

I don't know if I'll drink it forever. I've learned that in life, there's no point in making long term plans.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options

For some reason many people assume Soylent is a relatively cheap form of food. It's about an order of magnitude more expensive than truly cheap sources of food like wheat. You'd be amazed at how cheap something like a bag of whole wheat flour is, and how much food you could get from it.

Of course truly cheap food sources like wheat flour aren't sufficient alone (and certainly are not optimal for health). But with a bit of other foods mixed in you could get everything you need to survive for much less cost than Soylent. I'm not arguing that it would be healthy, just that it would prevent malnutrition and be much cheaper.

Nah I would never assume soylent is cheap especially since it's new and getting a lot of hype. But I like the idea of cheap same flavor foods for prisoners, I would do gruel if it was nutritious enough. Don't care if it's not soylent. Just cheap and nutritious but something they would get tired of and wouldn't make there prison stay very welcoming (not that prison food does that anyway) But I stated in my first sentence it would definitely have to be cheaper.

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    @chivalryder what recipe are you using? Been looking over a few
  • chivalryder
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    @chivalryder what recipe are you using? Been looking over a few

@jpaulie‌ I sent you a message with my recipe in it.

I'd also like to note: the flavour is, well, like nothing. By that, I mean, there really is no flavour. In the DIY FAQ, they recommend not adding any flavour because you get bored of the flavour. Making it flavourless makes it like drinking water: you don't get bored of it. You get used to it.
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    @chivalry,

Do you feel sated? How many do you have per day? (Please message me with your recipe).
  • cj2075
    cj2075 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @chivalryder I too originally chose Soylent as a cost saver. The convenience and nutritional makeup of Soylent was just a bonus for me. Nothing quite like being able to mix a pitch up the night before and drink it throughout the day for your nutritional needs. I haven't been willing to invest the time to research DIY recipes, but it sounds like you found one that is working for you.

I know that ahamm002 has been really dogging Soylent, but with no experience using it I just don't know how much weight I would put behind his words. Obviously there is great benefits to eating a diet based upon fresh fruits, vegetables and fish but is that something that all of us can implement into our daily routine or afford on our current budgets? No one is questioning that. What they are questioning and sort of the reason I thought this thread was created was how it stands up compared to those ideal convention sources of nutrition. As far as cost, I know where I live I would be hard pressed to consume those types of foods and keep my food bill under the $255/month that month's supply of Soylent cost.

I have been using Soylent pretty steadily now for over a month and while it isn't the only food I consume, it does make up a large portion of my diet. (Usually for breakfast and lunch with a good dinner.) I can tell you from first hand experience that I have noticed a significant increase in overall energy, improved sleep, and just an overall increase in my sense of well-being. I am clearer headed and find myself able to focus much better on difficult or complex issues as well.

Does this mean that everyone should run out and start drinking Soylent exclusively or that this is the only reason I feel this way? Hell no. Even those who created it recommend finding a balance that works for you. (Plus I don't want too much competition over my source of processed humans.) What I can tell you from my experience so far is I feel significantly better using it as a source for nutrition and caloric intake than when I did not use it. I also find that when I have an extended weekend away and eat like a normal foods that I begin to crave Soylent come Monday morning. My body is telling me that it wants it as a food source.
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    cj2075 wrote: »
    @chivalryder I too originally chose Soylent as a cost saver. The convenience and nutritional makeup of Soylent was just a bonus for me. Nothing quite like being able to mix a pitch up the night before and drink it throughout the day for your nutritional needs. I haven't been willing to invest the time to research DIY recipes, but it sounds like you found one that is working for you.

I know that ahamm002 has been really dogging Soylent, but with no experience using it I just don't know how much weight I would put behind his words. Obviously there is great benefits to eating a diet based upon fresh fruits, vegetables and fish but is that something that all of us can implement into our daily routine or afford on our current budgets? No one is questioning that. What they are questioning and sort of the reason I thought this thread was created was how it stands up compared to those ideal convention sources of nutrition. As far as cost, I know where I live I would be hard pressed to consume those types of foods and keep my food bill under the $255/month that month's supply of Soylent cost.

I have been using Soylent pretty steadily now for over a month and while it isn't the only food I consume, it does make up a large portion of my diet. (Usually for breakfast and lunch with a good dinner.) I can tell you from first hand experience that I have noticed a significant increase in overall energy, improved sleep, and just an overall increase in my sense of well-being. I am clearer headed and find myself able to focus much better on difficult or complex issues as well.

Does this mean that everyone should run out and start drinking Soylent exclusively or that this is the only reason I feel this way? Hell no. Even those who created it recommend finding a balance that works for you. (Plus I don't want too much competition over my source of processed humans.) What I can tell you from my experience so far is I feel significantly better using it as a source for nutrition and caloric intake than when I did not use it. I also find that when I have an extended weekend away and eat like a normal foods that I begin to crave Soylent come Monday morning. My body is telling me that it wants it as a food source.

I had the same experience when I was juice feasting. Mainly the clearer thinking. I only needed 5 hours of sleep a night and when I woke up, all brain cells were firing.

Are you hungry between meals? Are you using a DYI recipe?
  • cj2075
    cj2075 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @50452 I am not using a DIY recipe, but rather just the purchased version you get from Soylent itself. Started with the 1.0 version and am just a few days away from finishing the rest of that supply up and starting the new version 1.4 that I received last week. Looking forward to trying out the new batch as it is suppose to be lower in carbohydrates with an increase in proteins and fats. (All of which I like since I am trying to lose weight.)

I did think that I would be hungry in-between glasses of Soylent. After all, I am a BIG guy and eating food was something that I have sort of made an art form out of at the detriment to my health. The exact opposite of hungry actually happened. I am quite satisfied throughout the day and only get hungry as any other person would after several hours without food.

The best part is the real control over my caloric intake. I can feel satisfied with one glass of Soylent and not have to worry about overeating because there isn't extra food laying around. While I am anything but a nutritionist, my own experience tells me that the reason I don't crave more food or calories is because it is giving me exactly what my body wants as far as nutrition goes and therefore my body has no reason to crave any additional foods.

I like the breakfast and lunch routine because it allows me to think about what I would like to have for dinner and plan accordingly. This lets me come up with some interesting meals that I can enjoy without having the guilt factor if I occasionally add in something that I might otherwise try to avoid. I have found that if I do crave a snack an orange or banana is usually enough to get me through until dinner.

Hope I answered your questions.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    How much bioavailable sulforaphane and indole-3-carbinol is in your diy or this guy's original formulation?

Yeah, woopsy.

Minimum essential isn't most beneficial. Eat your veggies.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So Soylent is better than Beach Body and Shakeology . . . awesome! That's setting a pretty high bar!
    lol, you're funny.

You don't know what you're talking about, but you go full in. I like that.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    How much bioavailable sulforaphane and indole-3-carbinol is in your diy or this guy's original formulation?

Yeah, woopsy.

Minimum essential isn't most beneficial. Eat your veggies.

"Basic research on sulforaphane indicates potential for effects on mechanisms of human disease, including neurodegenerative disorders and cancer; however, results to date are contradictory, requiring clarification by future studies.[3][4] In animal models sulforaphane appears to have a protective effect against diabetes-related kidney damage.[2]

Sulforaphane may have a neuroprotective effect that can aid recovery from spinal cord injury, though the effect is not as strong as that of interleukin-10.[5]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulforaphane

Looks irrelevant and certainly not proven to be necessary, so I'm not worried.

As for Indole-3-carbinol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indole-3-carbinol

Also look like it's unnecessary for survival, just suggested that it might be good for keeping away disease.

Oh, and it's in kale, which I put in my DIY recipe, so I'm getting some.