Different kinds of tea...

Options

Replies

• hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Peppermint tea is probably my favorite. Aids in digestion & soothes upset stomach. Green tea is a close second though.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm on a bit of a budget nowadays....so I take lipton black tea, put 4 bags in a 2qt pitcher and put it out on the balcony for the day. It makes a nice brewed tea, and then I can stash it in the fridge and add a slice of lemon or some mint or a splash of nectar (my favorite). Or just pop a cup in the microwave and the flavor is fantastic from the slow brew. Then I can make any flavor I like super cheap. I really like to do this with chai tea bags and peppermint too. In the summer I cold brew coffee as well..... really maximizes the flavor and I can have custom drinks for a fraction of the coffee house cost.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I bought a new one that looks like a tea kettle. it's cute!

I have this one! ed29_duck_tea_infuser_inuse.jpg

Omg so cute!! I want that one.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    I got some new tea today!! I got a mint green tea but a free sample of some rock tea from teavana.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Need that duck thingy!!

I am all about the flavoured black teas. Couple of my favs at the mo' are Mango Magic and Raspberry Pomegranate: http://www.tleaft.co.nz/

I also love Rooibus (and again, flavoured rocks). Granted, it's not technically tea (as in, if it doesn't contain leaves from the tea plant, it ain't tea), but for someone who can't drink anything with caffeine too late in the day that stuff is an absolute blessing, cos there's nothing like a cuppa or five in the evening :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Also, i totally thought this thread was going to be about teas that were supposed to magically make you lose weight, so this was an exceedingly pleasant surprise. Thanks OP!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You can get the ducky from thinkgeek.com if you're in the USA, or I just got mine from a homewares shop! Just google "Tea Duck infuser"
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    ZOMG, just Googled and I can pretty much just walk down the street to get one!! And they're only $5. Sorry boring tea ball infuser, your work is done.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    ZOMG, just Googled and I can pretty much just walk down the street to get one!! And they're only $5. Sorry boring tea ball infuser, your work is done.

A tip - it tends to list to one side when you first pop it in, but once the tea becomes saturated it should float upright. If it isn't tap it on the side of your mug to even out the tea in the basket, that will do the trick ;)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

A tip - it tends to list to one side when you first pop it in, but once the tea becomes saturated it should float upright. If it isn't tap it on the side of your mug to even out the tea in the basket, that will do the trick ;)

Ohhhh, drunk ducky. Gotcha ;)
  • ButterflyBrains
    ButterflyBrains Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I drink all kinds of tea.
    My grandma recently brought me this Chocolate Mint flavoured tea, and it is soooo amazing! my sister used to grow chocolate mint herbs in her garden, and I forgot they existed, until now. Yum!
  • fat2fitvegan
    fat2fitvegan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    What is the matcha?

Matcha is an incredibly awesome Japanese green tea (you may have seen this in traditional japanese tea ceremonies). You digest the entire tea leaf, not just brewed water.

It comes in powder form and is whisked with a bamboo whisk into hot water. It has a ton of vitamins, minerals, have 6x the caffeine of a cup of brewed green tea (so boosts metabolism). I cannot recommend matcha enough.

You can also make matcha lattes, matcha candies, matcha tea cakes, etc. It's an awesome ingredient in cooking.

Matcha is my favorite tea, and I just did a matcha latte this afternoon! Can anyone recommend a good brand though? Right now I have a couple of tins that I got from my parents who didn't like it, but when I'm through with those, I want to buy some decent tea.

I personally right now do make yerba mate in a french press. It's not technically tea, but I like the caffeine and energy boost from mate much more than regular tea or coffee. It's marketed as having the "strength of coffee, the health benefits of tea, and the euphoria of chocolate" but all I know is that I like it and it's better for me than coffee.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of adagio.com. A little more expensive than grocery store teas, but not bad. And if you find a tea you really love, you can buy giant packages at better prices.

I'm currently drinking mint green tea, strawberry black tea, and chocolate chai. Not all together :) but those are the three bags I have open right now. Yummy!

I love the flavored teas because I don't need sweetener in them and it saves me calories. Recently tried oolong and it was good, kind of half way between black tea and green. My favorite flavors in any kind of tea are mint and vanilla, and I find peach is surprisingly good in lighter teas.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I love the world market but I got a huge tin of Twining English Tea and I feel that was way over priced. It was a loose leaf tea. Does loose leaf cost more than tea bags?
    I prefer steeping my own, especially if their loose leaves. I just feel like it's more fresh, maybe its because I can see the leaves lol. It took me awhile to get used to black tea but now I love it. I add honey and sometimes table sugar to mine but I feel kinda guilty with all the sugar.

Loose leaf may seem like it costs more than bags but for the amount of tea you get, it is actually better priced and usually higher quality. You want make sure there is enough room for the leaves to unfurl. Also, most loose leaf can be brewed 2 up to 5 times so you get more cups of tea for your money.

I am a big fan of tea, but not so much of tisanes although I do drink chamomile on occasion and ginger when I need to settle an upset stomach. My go-to black tea is a Nepalese Black (similar to a darjeeling). I also like oolong, green, and white. Flavored teas I like are Earl Grey, Earl Grey Creme, and Jasmine green. I get a lot of mine from the Dragon Tea House on Ebay (usually free shipping direct from China) or online at Upton Tea. I always make it in a teapot so the leaves have plenty of room. Here is my little collection:

37813ce5-b32a-4d77-8dc7-b212a19e36b6_zps68d4324f.jpg
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Also, don't use an infuser. Use a pot that brews one cup (of whatever size cup you have). Put the leaves in and pour the water over. If you like your tea stronger, add more tea instead of steeping it longer. Pour out the tea into your cup, making sure no water is left. Keep pouring more hot water in for more cups. Generally, the first cup will have the most caffeine and each successive cup will have less.

Although I have to admit that the rubber ducky tea infuser is really, really cute!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There are tea balls that open in to a flower in the hot water. So lovely.

You really must try a chai. Try sprinkling cinnamon in your tea.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    There are tea balls that open in to a flower in the hot water. So lovely.

You really must try a chai. Try sprinkling cinnamon in your tea.

I've seen those. When i get a clear tea pot I wanna try those.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I like tazo brand. I drink their green tea, I think it's called "zen"

I also enjoy chai tea

Plain black tea is good too with some cream/sugar
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    Options
    I've never had chai tea.
  • RedPanda85
    RedPanda85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I drink insane amounts of tea because it's all super stocked at work. There are about ten different tea varieties. Mostly bigelow and a couple celestial.

It's easy to keep drinking tea when you have instant hot water spouts everywhere!!

My favorite is green tea but it's nice sometimes to mix a green tea with bigelow black cherry or bigelow raspberry zinger. They're sweet so you use less sugar or honey but you still get the caffeine from the green tea.

I usually double bag my teas and never use sugar of milk/cream. Occasionally I'll use a bit of honey.

I tried yogi teas a couple times -- ugh hate it!!