Soylent

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Single-sourcing pretty much anything is a bad idea. Nature hates monocultures.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hmmm I'll maintain if you like it try it, Just keep in mind you are experimenting with it, but how will we know what it does to people in the long run unless there are people to try it right, so I say go for it and thank you for being willing to test it out. For me though, I never try anything new that has to do with my body unless it's been tested and been around for a long time/ or if I have no other healthier option/choice. But I'm a chicken, it's just that too much stuff has come out that you find out in your older age negatively affected your body and by then it's too late.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in that it tickles me that the future that we fancied is becoming reality. What's next? Hovercars?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070723/
  • Niff314
    Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It's amusing how defensive I need to be about Soylent. It really seems to upset some people, on a personal level even. Interesting, that.
  • Grimmerick
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Niff314 wrote: »
    It's amusing how defensive I need to be about Soylent. It really seems to upset some people, on a personal level even. Interesting, that.

post below. F'ed that up lol
  • cj2075
    cj2075 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @emmydoodles83, I hate to break it to you, but unless you are eating a completely organic diet with no manufactured products you are already a guinea pig for companies like Monsanto who promote and control GMO food production in this country. I like Soylent because there isn't Corn Syrup or Red Die #5 to make it look and taste more appetizing.
  • Grimmerick
    Options

somehow I don't think you are amused, since you feel you need to be defensive does that mean you are upset on a personal level. You don't have to defend it just let it be, people will think what they want. I for one am not upset and Thank you sincerely for trying it out. I hope it does really work and do well, I just am not willing to be the guinea pig.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    @chivalryder‌

Question about your preparation - do you mix your dyi dry and then add water? How long do you store a ready to drink solution?

Just curious.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Single-sourcing pretty much anything is a bad idea. Nature hates monocultures.

I fully agree with this. This is why I'm trying to avoid common allergenic foods. This is how I developed nasty food sensitivities (ate soy religiously in college). I want to cut out the corn I'm currently eating, but I had a tub full of it in my cupboard I'm going to finish first.

Everything else on my list is not a common allergenic, so I'm not terribly worried. I will be mixing it up over time though, to avoid single-sourcing.
  • Grimmerick
    edited March 2015
    Options
    cj2075 wrote: »
    @emmydoodles83, I hate to break it to you, but unless you are eating a completely organic diet with no manufactured products you are already a guinea pig for companies like Monsanto who promote and control GMO food production in this country. I like Soylent because there isn't Corn Syrup or Red Die #5 to make it look and taste more appetizing.

I should be clearer I avoid when I can, within reason, I also try to pay attention to ingredients and where my food comes from. Limits the risk which really in life is the best you can do

• EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Really? Who here is upset - and on a personal level? I'm not seeing it.
    I do see healthy discussion about a nutrition product and trend.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    @chivalryder‌

Question about your preparation - do you mix your dyi dry and then add water? How long do you store a ready to drink solution?

Just curious.

I had made single-day batches, three-day batches, and one week batches. I prefer the one week batches because it's an hour on the weekend to get it all done, then I don't have to worry about food at all throughout the week.

I had tried using flaxseed for my fat, but found it was WAY too much flax per serving. It was also a bit expensive. I've now gone to the typical oil. I had researched mixing tapioca maltodextrin with the oil to turn it into a powder, but I had to order it. I simply mixed the oil into the powder mix (mixed the powder first to ensure consistency) and found that the powder soaked up the oil. It just makes the powder hold together a bit better. Takes a lot of mixing to avoid clumping, but it's still a very dry powder.

I add water right before I drink. I pour a bit of water into a shaker bottle, with the spiral ball (very important to break down the clumps), then pour in the powder (get a wide mouth funnel, the ones for canning are perfect), then top it off with water. Shake well and drink immediately.

Without the oil, I just kept it in sealed containers in a cool, dry place. It's dry powder, so in a week it shouldn't go bad. Same situation as portien powder.

Now that I'm adding oil, I keep it in the fridge, just to be safe. The oil gives bacteria a second way to breed itself in the formula. Probably not much of an issue, but I'm just playing it safe. My fridge is empty otherwise.
  • chivalryder
    Options

I should be clearer I avoid when I can, within reason, I also try to pay attention to ingredients and where my food comes from. Limits the risk which really in life is the best you can do

100-mile diet is the best way to go, IMO, if at all possible.
  • cj2075
    cj2075 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Fair enough. I try to do the same thing and felt there was about a similar risk from trying Soylent as there would be from eating the boxed foods found in grocery stores.

I REALLY like chivaryder's idea of the 100-mile diet and hope to incorporate that into my own nutritional needs in the future.

• chivalryder
    Options

Really? Who here is upset - and on a personal level? I'm not seeing it.
    I do see healthy discussion about a nutrition product and trend.

ldrosophila seemed to be taking it all a little too seriously, IMO. Not personal, but he seemed intent on convincing other people that his opinions are right and that we shouldn't be touching the stuff. (Exaggerated a bit, but let's be real: who gives and eff what other people are doing, right?).

The only thing I would really want to say to someone who wants to try it out is: Do your research! Don't just blindly jump in and accept it to be a perfect product. It isn't. They're revising it on a near monthly basis and are trying to make it a good solution for someone who cannot afford "real" food or for people who simply don't have access to it.

Read up on nutrition, micronutrients and all. Have an idea of what you're going into before you try it. Make an informed decision on whether or not it's right for you.

If you have the time to cook well, and the finances to afford good, healthy foods, I would never recommend Soylent to anyone. I see a lot of people on here going on about how they don't have time to cook, that they cannot afford to buy quality food products. They're asking what they can do and people keep suggesting really bad advice. The "low calorie snacks" are my favourite.

I'd much rather see someone drinking a mixture of powdered food products, with a couple of supplements thrown in, than eating foods containing controversial food products (sweeteners, flavour and colour additives, preservatives, etc.). I'm not trying to start a debate on what is good or bad food. That's not my point. My point is that there is plenty of debate on what is a carcinogen and what isn't. Soylent does not have anything of the like, especially DIY formulas that are made from real food products (albeit highly processed food products).
  • Grimmerick
    edited March 2015
    Options

Fair enough. I try to do the same thing and felt there was about a similar risk from trying Soylent as there would be from eating the boxed foods found in grocery stores.

I REALLY like chivaryder's idea of the 100-mile diet and hope to incorporate that into my own nutritional needs in the future.

Hmm 100 mile, sounds interesting. I do buy boxed food at the grocery store, but usually I try to stick with simple stuff like rice, beans etc. One or two ingredient stuff. Lol if it has a bunch of crazy *kitten* I've never heard of then I def put it back. I also have been getting farm deliveries which they do in my area so I was very excited about that.

• EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Most whey protein sources contain emulsifiers of some sort, soya lecthin, flavoring, etc...
    I assume you are sourcing a 100% flavorless, no additive version.
    I'd imagine that highly processed, diy versions it is actually quite hard to not have emulsifiers or to assure lot consistency.
  • Grimmerick
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am not used to this new set up yet. I keep friggin doing another post when I just want to edit something. God that's so annoying. Must have been where the old edit button was.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    @chivalryder‌

Just curious.

I had made single-day batches, three-day batches, and one week batches. I prefer the one week batches because it's an hour on the weekend to get it all done, then I don't have to worry about food at all throughout the week.

I had tried using flaxseed for my fat, but found it was WAY too much flax per serving. It was also a bit expensive. I've now gone to the typical oil. I had researched mixing tapioca maltodextrin with the oil to turn it into a powder, but I had to order it. I simply mixed the oil into the powder mix (mixed the powder first to ensure consistency) and found that the powder soaked up the oil. It just makes the powder hold together a bit better. Takes a lot of mixing to avoid clumping, but it's still a very dry powder.

I add water right before I drink. I pour a bit of water into a shaker bottle, with the spiral ball (very important to break down the clumps), then pour in the powder (get a wide mouth funnel, the ones for canning are perfect), then top it off with water. Shake well and drink immediately.

Without the oil, I just kept it in sealed containers in a cool, dry place. It's dry powder, so in a week it shouldn't go bad. Same situation as portien powder.

Now that I'm adding oil, I keep it in the fridge, just to be safe. The oil gives bacteria a second way to breed itself in the formula. Probably not much of an issue, but I'm just playing it safe. My fridge is empty otherwise.

And thanks for this, clearly you've given this a lot of thought.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    100-mile diet is the best way to go, IMO, if at all possible.

I have a friend raised on a farm, and sensitive to farmer's issues. I live in Canada in a part of the world where we measure distance in hours, driving 100 KM an hour. Our urban centers are surrounded by miles and miles of farm land, each crop best suited to the land, not location. We've got cattle, canola fields, barley, wheat, and oats.

My friend has pointed out that if everyone switched to the 100 mile diet, there'd be a whole bunch of farmers out of work. Never mind a whole bunch of hungry people. Ideal land for growing food doesn't always situate itself near large urban centers. Also, urban centers have a nasty habit of over-growing their borders and taking over prime growing land.

I think Cuba is the most successful large enterprise towards a 100 mile diet, but they are on an island. With an embargo. Where land is premium. And their residents are hungry.
    nacla03-Cuba-IMG_8676UrbAgr54.JPG