Discouraged by MFP

Options

Replies

• exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    A red letter day here and there is no biggie. It's a safe guard for MFP to not appear that the app condones or supports eating too little. Obviously there are consequences of eating too little one of which being a stall in weight loss, another not enough fuel for the body to run efficiently. Just take it in stride and try not to make it a habit. Good luck!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    rayw89 wrote: »
    Why on earth would this be a place of judgement?
    Because it's populated by humans.
    This is not a multi-interest website, we are all on here for the same reason.
    No, we aren't.
    We're either over weight, or started out over weight and have reached our goal.
    Nope.
    Just because some have achieved success does not mean you can now judge others who aren't there yet. For those who have achieved their goal and know how to get it done, please, give advice, tell people how it's done. But if the only way a person can teach others is through judgement or in-your-face snarky comments, then you don't need to be a mentor right now.
    Wow that's a lot of judgement for someone who thinks judgement is bad.

All this.

Plus when did replying to a thread make me a mentor?

Also this is my fitness pal not my weightloss pal. It is very much a multi interest site. People come here to lose/gain/maintain weight, find people with similar fitness goals incl lifting, tris, running etc.

Not all here for the same reason at all.
  • Sunshine48205
    Sunshine48205 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would this be a place of judgement?
    Because it's populated by humans.
    This is not a multi-interest website, we are all on here for the same reason.
    No, we aren't.
    We're either over weight, or started out over weight and have reached our goal.
    Nope.
    Just because some have achieved success does not mean you can now judge others who aren't there yet. For those who have achieved their goal and know how to get it done, please, give advice, tell people how it's done. But if the only way a person can teach others is through judgement or in-your-face snarky comments, then you don't need to be a mentor right now.
    Wow that's a lot of judgement for someone who thinks judgement is bad.

hahahahahaha
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you think this was a place of no judgement?

^^^ Right....This is not Planet fitness my dear.

Why on earth would this be a place of judgement? This is not a multi-interest website, we are all on here for the same reason. We're either over weight, or started out over weight and have reached our goal. Just because some have achieved success does not mean you can now judge others who aren't there yet. For those who have achieved their goal and know how to get it done, please, give advice, tell people how it's done. But if the only way a person can teach others is through judgement or in-your-face snarky comments, then you don't need to be a mentor right now.[/quote]

deluded much?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Also
    Just because some have achieved success does not mean you can now judge others who aren't there yet.
    The people who have been there and are now successful (and the ones who are well on their way to success) are the perfect ones to judge because they've been there. They know what a bunch of self-destructive BS all the excuses are. I'd guess it's probably why so many of the successful people attack those excuses with such vigor.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies, but just wanted to say that you're not a failure. It's a generic program to tell you what you did and didn't hit. Some days I get yelled at for eating too much, some days not enough. I find it works best to show me what my eating habits are, and make me understand that yes, indeed this food has X calories, Y carbs, and Z sugar. You're just starting out, don't let it discourage you by saying that. It's just 3 days in, and it's just a program.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    LoraF83 wrote: »

Why on earth would this be a place of judgement? This is not a multi-interest website, we are all on here for the same reason. We're either over weight, or started out over weight and have reached our goal. Just because some have achieved success does not mean you can now judge others who aren't there yet. For those who have achieved their goal and know how to get it done, please, give advice, tell people how it's done. But if the only way a person can teach others is through judgement or in-your-face snarky comments, then you don't need to be a mentor right now.

Maybe some people respond well to mentors who are blunt and in-your-face. I personally do.
    How do you have the right to judge what type of interaction will best benefit everyone on this website?

And we aren't all here for the same reason. Weight loss is but one facet of this site.

@LoraF83‌ well said!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    sjrutherf wrote: »
    This is my third day on MFP.

I have officially been chastised, in red letters, by MFP. I didn't eat enough calories yesterday. I understand they want you to be healthy. I would understand if this was a common occurrence or something, but trust me this is rare for me! I wasn't hungry most of the day and I took advantage of it. Before starting this journey, I would probably eat a zillion calories a day. Ok, maybe not a zillion, but A LOT.

Yesterday I made such healthy decisions! I found time to take three walks during my work day! I work at a desk, so this is often hard for me to fit in. I also joined my friends and went to a casual volleyball league that I had been avoiding. I didn't eat the cake or cookies that were laid out at work. I didn't go out with my friends for ice cream after volleyball. I was so proud of myself! I was excited to complete my entry for the day. And then all I saw was red text and MFP telling me to make additional entries. I almost went out and ate the entire kitchen.

I was no longer proud.
    I was no longer excited.
    I just wanted to give up.

I went from being all pumped up to finally try and change things to feeling like a failure 2 days in.

A change in perspective is needed here.

If that happened to me, I'd think, "Really?! Woohoo! Today was tough, and I put a lot of work into making good choices, and now I know it doesn't have to be that hard! I could just take one or two walks, instead of three, and maybe have one cookie, and still reach my goals. This is awesome. It's not going to be as hard as I thought."
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I think we should just be happy that when we go over our calorie goal, we don't get a message that says, "Knock it off, Lardass".

We don't....do we?

I kind of wish we would get that message. LOL

Yes me too! Please add that MFP! :D

In all seriousness I would get that message all of the time when I first started. It took me awhile to understand my food (calories in them), portion size, goal settings, etc. once I got some practice with the app it was smooth sailing. Don't give up it just takes time to learn the system.

I still get hollared at for salt. Yeah whatever! I love salt. :smiley:

• BeardedStudWarrior
    BeardedStudWarrior Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Im glad I just use this site to pick up women. HEHEHEHEHHEHEHE
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    This is only a color. MFP is only a tool. You only fail if you don't face your real issue and keep trying. Giving up so quickly because of something mundane is the problem, not MFP warning you about not eating enough. I would be thankful to see red letters - a reminder I should eat more, a reminder to look at my macros and see if I am lacking on a nutritional front. Change the prospective and not jump to blame.

Also, can all the mean-people-bandwagoners people read this post, please and thank you: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10105396/to-all-the-mfp-meanies-and-know-it-alls-this-is-for-you/p1
  • BirdieMaker55
    Options
    [/quote]

I've gotten the "menacing" red text before. If it's not a habit of you starving yourself, it is really not that big a deal. You said you had an awesome day, where you felt like you made all the right choices...stick with THAT feeling. MFP is only going to throw out this generic "eat more" message because of how the calories are set up. Relax and remember how proud you feel when you make the right choices and use MFP only as a tool to help you see what you are doing.

Also, don't set yourself up for "daily goals", but rather go on a weekly basis. You get a more comprehensive view of your habits that way. One single day isn't going to make or break you, bad habits over long periods of time will.

[/quote]

Winner of the best response goes to the above quote, way to support.

• Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself! But as everyone has said, this is just a tool designed to help you realize you haven't consumed enough calories (based on information YOU provided) which could result in slower metabolism, slower weight loss and you being pissed off because the site didn't "work". Be happy there isn't the comment "Quit stuffing your piehole!" when you eat too much! ;) Good luck!! :) I'm serious!

That is fantastic advice, btw: (*) (*) (*) (*)

Hi Sjrutherf.

Welcome to MFP, the greatest calorie tracking device under the sun (TM).

You are very lucky! Because those red numbers set off a depression, you now have a MASSIVE clue about your emotions and self-judgement connected with food.

This is GREAT to know, because you can now start to fix it. If you just try to eat fewer calories, but don't deal with your emotional connection with food, then you'll find yourself in a self-defeating battle with yourself, with food as your weapon of choice. I've been there.

In addition to tracking calories, start tracking the days you are hungrier than other days, and your emotional responses to food, to warnings, and to your weight on the scale (especially when it fluctuates during the month because of water weight). Track both positive and negative emotions.

Give yourself a couple of months to track, so you can build up a good database of information. Once you see your food consumption AND your emotional responses as well as your monthly fluctuations in weight, you will have a much better sense of yourself, your eating habits, how your body works, and how your emotions work in relation to your self esteem and food.

If you can't do this alone, there are food therapists and free programs like Overeaters Anonymous who can help you.

And remember -- this is HARD work. Confronting yourself and your fears HURTS. But there are loads of us who have done it, and are willing to be the shoulder you might need to lean on.

The good news is that for many people, once you decide to do the hard work, it's not hard anymore because there's nothing to be frightened of anymore.

And remember, if you want to give up -- you are going to weigh some amount of pounds in a month. You can weigh that amount and have no idea what to do about it, or you can weigh that amount and because of tracking, have a much better idea what to do about it.

I wish you the best of luck and give you a big warm cyber hug. Welcome to MFP and YOU CAN DO THIS.[/quote]

• missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I would advise you to get a strong grip and stop making excuses

It is just a website. A tool to aid you. It does not have an emotional power over you, only you have that power.

It is designed to give you a calorie goal - some people choose to do 5:2 and will hit only 500 calories on 2 days - they may choose to monitor their calories over the week.

This. If something as simple as red letters on a website are enough to discourage you that much, maybe this particular site isn't for you.
  • redoakcircus
    Options
    Today the app told me my calcium supplement was high in calcium.

It's a simple computer program. It doesn't account for every situation. Let it go and focus on your goals.

• krisalexine
    krisalexine Posts: 78 Member
    Options

I have officially been chastised, in red letters, by MFP. I didn't eat enough calories yesterday. I understand they want you to be healthy. I would understand if this was a common occurrence or something, but trust me this is rare for me! I wasn't hungry most of the day and I took advantage of it. Before starting this journey, I would probably eat a zillion calories a day. Ok, maybe not a zillion, but A LOT.

Yesterday I made such healthy decisions! I found time to take three walks during my work day! I work at a desk, so this is often hard for me to fit in. I also joined my friends and went to a casual volleyball league that I had been avoiding. I didn't eat the cake or cookies that were laid out at work. I didn't go out with my friends for ice cream after volleyball. I was so proud of myself! I was excited to complete my entry for the day. And then all I saw was red text and MFP telling me to make additional entries. I almost went out and ate the entire kitchen.

I was no longer proud.
    I was no longer excited.

I went from being all pumped up to finally try and change things to feeling like a failure 2 days in.

First of all, welcome to MFP! I've stated this before: people here can be mean, and will readily focus on the negative - no, wait, i'm sorry - "tough love" they call it? - rather than on encouragement. People so quickly forget they were the ones feeling the same things not too long ago once they shed some weight/gain some muscle, log 1K posts, and now they're fitness and diet experts. SMDH

Mixed in with all the bullsh*t above is some decent advice, so please filter through the negativity to find the encouragement... there isn't a lot I can say that someone hasn't already said.

When I'm feeling discouraged, I talk to boyfriend who also happens to be my training partner. I know a lot of people don't have the luxury of having someone around them constantly who is going through the same thing and understands wanting to give up, so if you ever feel discouraged again, feel free to message me directly. And also, IMHO, I'd never start a thread on the forums unless it's asking consumer reviews about a non-consumable product... such as shoes, gloves, etc. I find it's worked out better for me that way.
  • ptdumas1957
    ptdumas1957 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    DeWoSa wrote: »

I was no longer proud.
    I was no longer excited.

Hi Sjrutherf.

Welcome to MFP, the greatest calorie tracking device under the sun (TM).

You are very lucky! Because those red numbers set off a depression, you now have a MASSIVE clue about your emotions and self-judgement connected with food.

This is GREAT to know, because you can now start to fix it. If you just try to eat fewer calories, but don't deal with your emotional connection with food, then you'll find yourself in a self-defeating battle with yourself, with food as your weapon of choice. I've been there.

In addition to tracking calories, start tracking the days you are hungrier than other days, and your emotional responses to food, to warnings, and to your weight on the scale (especially when it fluctuates during the month because of water weight). Track both positive and negative emotions.

Give yourself a couple of months to track, so you can build up a good database of information. Once you see your food consumption AND your emotional responses as well as your monthly fluctuations in weight, you will have a much better sense of yourself, your eating habits, how your body works, and how your emotions work in relation to your self esteem and food.

If you can't do this alone, there are food therapists and free programs like Overeaters Anonymous who can help you.

And remember -- this is HARD work. Confronting yourself and your fears HURTS. But there are loads of us who have done it, and are willing to be the shoulder you might need to lean on.

The good news is that for many people, once you decide to do the hard work, it's not hard anymore because there's nothing to be frightened of anymore.

And remember, if you want to give up -- you are going to weigh some amount of pounds in a month. You can weigh that amount and have no idea what to do about it, or you can weigh that amount and because of tracking, have a much better idea what to do about it.

I wish you the best of luck and give you a big warm cyber hug. Welcome to MFP and YOU CAN DO THIS.

Outstanding post!! This is the kind of thing that should be moved up under the original poster's first message.

Hang in there, sjrutherf! There are many here pulling for your success.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Why on earth would this be a place of judgement? This is not a multi-interest website, we are all on here for the same reason. We're either over weight, or started out over weight and have reached our goal. Just because some have achieved success does not mean you can now judge others who aren't there yet. For those who have achieved their goal and know how to get it done, please, give advice, tell people how it's done. But if the only way a person can teach others is through judgement or in-your-face snarky comments, then you don't need to be a mentor right now.
    [/quote]

You have a lot to learn, my dear.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    habits, both good or bad, start with one action.

congrats on eating less, congrats on avoiding the junk food, but you've still got to eat.

and if you were so low that MFP told you that you need to eat more, you probably could've gone out for ice cream after vollyball.

What he said.