Soylent

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    But I love food. Why would I drink this when I can eat food? Food that tastes good.

Also LOL at it being called Soylent and people actually buying it.

Because some people can't afford real food. Some people have health reasons. Some people (third world countries) don't even have access to food.

I hate calling it Soylent, for that reason. I prefer calling it a meal replacement shake.

Food doesn't get any more "real" than rice and beans. Or rice and lentils.

Dirt cheap.

Throw in frozen or in-season vegetables and still dirt cheap.

Nobody posting on this thread is living as a third-worlder, so let's not complicate the discussion unnecessarily.

None of that is relevant, the third world can go deal with their food issues, some clown from Stanford really doesn't care, unless their parents tell them to care.

I do like how people are oscillating between, it are iz ain't real foodz, and but wubbout teh 3rdworld?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    But I love food. Why would I drink this when I can eat food? Food that tastes good.

Because some people can't afford real food. Some people have health reasons. Some people (third world countries) don't even have access to food.

I hate calling it Soylent, for that reason. I prefer calling it a meal replacement shake.

Dirt cheap.

If someone wants to live on Soylent, it's fine with me, but the idea that cost or food availability is a primary driver is not consistent with the realities.

Nobody posting on this thread is living as a third-worlder, so let's not complicate the discussion unnecessarily.

Where's your protein?

Or fat?

Or Vitamin A, D, E, C, B6 & B12, K, Calcium, Choride, Sodium, Omega 3 & 6, Chromium, Copper, Iodine, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Molybdenum, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Zinc, Choline, amino acids, etc.?

Rice, beans, and veggies will not contain most of those. (Ok, veggies will contain a few, but you'll still be on short supply unless you pick and choose carefully, and eat a lot of them, which isn't exactly cheap).

Just saying. I've tried the whole "lets eat cheap food" thing for three years. It was significantly more expensive than my Soylent formula.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Dirt cheap.

If someone wants to live on Soylent, it's fine with me, but the idea that cost or food availability is a primary driver is not consistent with the realities.

Where's your protein?

Rice and either beans/lentils provide a complete protein source.

Or fat?

So add some oil - it's also dirt cheap.

Or Vitamin A, D, E, C, B6 & B12, K, Calcium, Choride, Sodium, Omega 3 & 6, Chromium, Copper, Iodine, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Molybdenum, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Zinc, Choline, amino acids, etc.?

Rice, beans, and veggies will not contain most of those.

A generous serving size of Rice + lentils + frozen green giant veggies will cover many/most of those. Wander over to Cronometer.com and see for yourself.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    not relevant.
  • chivalryder
    edited March 2015
    Options

Dirt cheap.

Where's your protein?

Rice and either beans/lentils provide a complete protein source.

Or fat?

So add some oil - it's also dirt cheap.

Rice, beans, and veggies will not contain most of those.

A generous serving size of Rice + lentils + frozen green giant veggies will cover many/most of those. Wander over to Cronometer.com and see for yourself.

I was talking about your macros. In order to get a sufficient amount of protein, you'll need to eat a LOT of rice and/or beans.

I just did the math, for arguments sake. For simplicity, I put in enough oil to get enough fat in my diet, 116g of canola oil. I split everything else to equal quantities. results are below:

pwywippbzjcv.png

I worked out the cost using Amazon and Grocery Gateway. Congratulations, this will cost you $3.42/month. My Soylent currently costs me $6.71/day.

However, this setup would put me 150g over on carbs and 140g under of protein. It's also missing Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Valine, B12, B2, B3, B5, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Selenium, Sodium, and Zinc.

Where are you going to get those from? Supplements? If you do that, you're going to ramp up the cost. Need more protein, that's going to significantly ramp up the cost. Nearly $5/day of my formula comes from protein. Not to mention if you throw in a complex multi-vitamin (no ordinary one will do), then what you're eating is not much different from what I'm eating.

Edited because I realized my personal email was in the image.
  • chivalryder
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lets say we throw in some protein to better suit my macros, yes? Canned tuna is the cheapest protein you can get, so I used that.

usn5bdjex0xf.png

Now, my macros are nearly spot on, so I'm happy about that. However, now you're forking out a whopping $11.24/day for the same macros, yet you're still missing 19% of your targets.

What now, brown cow?

Edited because I realized my personal email was in the image.
  • Niff314
    Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Drinking Soylent while reading all this. =)
  • chivalryder
    Options
    For the sake of argument, here is my recipe (I removed the quantities because I don't want people to start using my recipe blindly. They should do their own research and sourcing):

j8jkdjdi2oyk.png

It's actually less than I thought, at $6.54/day. That's $198.92/month.

Note: The Jamieson pills are $0.00 because they were sitting in my cupboard. If I were to buy them, they would add $0.35/day or $10/month.
  • cj2075
    cj2075 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

What now, brown cow?

LOL... I definitely feel as though you were able to make your point.
  • darkbeth
    darkbeth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Niff314 wrote: »
    Drinking Soylent while reading all this. =)
    Same. :)
  • cj2075
    Options
    For the sake of argument, here is my recipe (I removed the quantities because I don't want people to start using my recipe blindly. They should do their own research and sourcing):

j8jkdjdi2oyk.png

Note: The Jamieson pills are $0.00 because they were sitting in my cupboard. If I were to buy them, they would add $0.35/day or $10/month.

That is one heck of a nice recipe for DIY Soylent. I can tell you put a hell of a lot of time and effort into creating that recipe! From what I understand that is also a great paleo recipe as well. Seriously very nice work!
  • chivalryder
    Options
    cj2075 wrote: »

j8jkdjdi2oyk.png

That is one heck of a nice recipe for DIY Soylent. I can tell you put a hell of a lot of time and effort into creating that recipe! From what I understand that is also a great paleo recipe as well. Seriously very nice work!

The thing that really makes this recipe great is the 'Super-Men Multivitamin.' It's the most complete and thorough multivitamin I've ever seen. You can get it here: http://canadianprotein.refr.cc/MQKGGDP

It looks expensive at $45 CAD for 315g, but I only use 2g per day. One bag lasts a long time.

It's also vegan and paleo friendly, but that's because I can't eat whey.

Side note: if you can't eat whey, this is by far the cheapest source of vegan protein powders I've seen. Less than $40 for 5 lbs is unreal. It's usually $40 for 1-2lb.
  • Gumbie7
    Gumbie7 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love my Soylent. We got our shipment last month. I don't use it to lose weight per say, but to help me avoid eating crap when I'm to busy to grab something healthy. Mainly in the mornings, I bled up one scope with ice and some frozen fruit in it. I do this because I'm always running in the morning chasing my son, going to my work out and getting ready for work. So this way I can take it with me, get a great start of nutrients to my day and usually have a little left in my cup after my workout for a satisfying hold over till lunch. I personally couldn't drink it only and all the time, but it's great knowing it's perfectly balanced and isn't junk food going into my system! Great way to keep my self feeling great. Oh! It also gives me vitamins I don't always get a chance to eat everyday, and I must say I have noticed a difference in the way my body feels between that and my diet change. Good luck on your adventure!
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    For those of you using/supplementing with Soylent, do you make up one batch and drink it throughout the day, or make it and drink it right away?

If you are going the one-batch route, to you refrigerate it between meals? Or maybe you just sip on it until it is gone?
  • chivalryder
    Options
    50452 wrote: »
    For those of you using/supplementing with Soylent, do you make up one batch and drink it throughout the day, or make it and drink it right away?

If you are going the one-batch route, to you refrigerate it between meals? Or maybe you just sip on it until it is gone?

I make it the day before, or up to a week's worth at one time. Without mixing in oil, I just keep it in an air tight container, wherever. Mixing in oil, I keep it in the fridge.
  • Niff314
    Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I mix it at night and keep it in the fridge. One pitcher usually lasts me two days.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I should add: I keep it as a powder until I drink it.
  • cj2075
    Options
    I make a pitcher at a time. When I finish off a pitcher I clean it, let it dry and finish the final glass of Soylent. After finishing the glass of Soylent I make a new batch in the pitcher and refrigerate it for the next go round. I rarely consume a pitch in a day, but about every day and a half is starting to become a pretty steady pace. Each meal is 1/3 of a pitcher for me.
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    So it sounds like most of you sip throughout the day. It's not as if at your designated lunch or dinnertime you drink a meal portion over the interval of time that you would normally eat your meal, right?
  • chivalryder
    Options
    50452 wrote: »
    So it sounds like most of you sip throughout the day. It's not as if at your designated lunch or dinnertime you drink a meal portion over the interval of time that you would normally eat your meal, right?

No. I had been drinking it 5x/day, in 3 hour intervals (usually 6, 9, 12, 3, and 6). Today, I'm trying it 3x (6, 12, and 6) in hopes that I won't get so hungry by the time I get to bed.

I'm drinking it as if it were a meal and/or snacks.