jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Go down to the park and look for this man

giphy.gif
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    lindsey852 wrote: »
    Ive been doing this fitness pal thing for 51 days in a row. But I felt like I needed a little help with what I was doing. So I went to the dr and she prescribed me a suppressant called phentermine 37.5 its def boost your metabolism and you don't or should I say I don't eat much with taken it. I went to my two weeks check up to see how its helping me and I lost 7 lbs in twp weeks on top of low carb high protein diet and exercise idk where those lbs went but thats what I lost so far on those pills . I only consume about 5-800 calories a day cause when I work my butt off I geel guilty putting anything in my mouth but water. :)

500-800 calories a day is a very low calorie diet. You are losing muscle mass far beyond what is desired. I sincerely doubt the ethics of a doctor who would prescribe this medication after so little time on a sensible plan. Drugs like that are a last resort, not a go-to "boost" for someone who just started a diet and wants to lose weight faster.

This site has rules against advocating such unhealthy practices. I surely hope that anyone reading this knows to shake their head at this rather than seeking to emulating it.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Go down to the park and look for this man

giphy.gif
    No no no.
    She has to take the D bus downtown to find Martinez cause his *kitten* is the bomb.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OTC appetite suppressants, diuretics, "cleanses", etc. are worthless.
    Either get a real medicine from your doctor (if you're obese, or overweight with health issues),
    or learn to modify what you eat so you have more bulk with fewer calories (increasing vegetables, decreasing fat).

ETA: actually, do the second first, and even if you do the first, keep doing the second
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    busseybl wrote: »
    Lol y'all are ridiculous.

I was asking as simple question and I do not think I deserved some of the responses I got. I'm eating 1200cal/day and working out and burning around 750-800 a day. So yes, I'm hungry. Yes, I've tried water. Yes, I've tried small low-cal snacks.

If you didn't have an answer for me, why did you even bother responding? Mind your own business & stop hiding behind your computers and being rude.

This is the rudest response in the thread. You asked for something that DOESN'T WORK. Don't pout because you don't get the answer you want.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    cathipa wrote:
    Phentermine is controlled by a physician with a very strict diet plan only lasting a few weeks.
    False. I used it for several months, and my doctor didn't say anything about what I should eat, though we did discuss calorie goals.

prminx wrote:
    Pills are a crutch and an unhealthy crutch at that.
    I suppose you'd tell someone in pain that too, right? You can't have tylenol, or imitrex, or morphine because it's an unhealthy crutch. Just learn to control the pain, or live with it. Do you understand how outrageous that idea is??

Hunger is a type of pain. If someone is constantly hungry, it's going to be agonizing to impossible for them to control their intake enough to lose weight.
    Getting the hunger under control allows a person to learn to eat normal, healthy portions & be satisfied with them.
    prminx wrote:
    do it the right way. Then, you can own and enjoy your success.
    The right way is to eat less & move more.
    Making someone not be ravenous allows them to accomplish the first part of that.
    The pill did nothing else for me - it did not burn fat, it did not go to the gym, it only allowed me to not be excessively hungry. And that's all it will do for anyone.
    I am very happy that it reset my hunger to what my doctor tells me is a normal level, so that even when I'm not taking it I'm no longer ravenous all the time.

_I_ lost the weight. Me. I controlled what I ate, I went to the gym, I lost the weight.
    51637601.png
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    lindsey852 wrote: »
    Ive been doing this fitness pal thing for 51 days in a row. But I felt like I needed a little help with what I was doing. So I went to the dr and she prescribed me a suppressant called phentermine 37.5 its def boost your metabolism and you don't or should I say I don't eat much with taken it. I went to my two weeks check up to see how its helping me and I lost 7 lbs in twp weeks on top of low carb high protein diet and exercise idk where those lbs went but thats what I lost so far on those pills . I only consume about 5-800 calories a day cause when I work my butt off I geel guilty putting anything in my mouth but water. :)

Heart palpitations be damned!

This is not a healthy way of thinking or behaving. If you don't have an eating disorder...you are on your way there.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    uvi5 wrote: »
    Find a friend prescribed to Adderal

no, no, no, cute, but, no. I know your just kidding, but again, no.

Also, as someone who takes Adderall legitimately....I eat on it just like I did without. So, don't risk taking something you don't need on an occasionally reported side effect.

Add me to the legitimate Adderall people who had the same appetite, and in fact I gained most of my weight while I have been on it. Of course, I also don't get the people who take it to stay up all night studying - it is just enough to keep me functional and awake most days. Of course, I take the dosage recommended by my doctor, so maybe that is where I am going wrong.

I am glad to see the OP is rethinking her plan. That is good news to see on here - an OP who is listening and actually seems to be understanding the people trying to help.
  • amf0324
    amf0324 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I couldn't read past "only 2-3 pounds per week." Sorry.
  • jaime6122
    jaime6122 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A month ago, I went to the weight loss clinic here in town and they gave me phentermine. It literally lasted a few days and even then, I got hungry at night. I don't think it's worth it and I quit taking them after a week or so. But I take the HCG shot. I don't know if it's helping or not but I seem to be losing around my abdomen so IDK.
  • MKEgal
    edited March 2015
    Options
    mamichula wrote:
    If its not sustainable for the long haul, you shouldn't try it
    Really?
    I don't see myself spending 2 hours in the gym every day the rest of my life, but I'm doing it most days now.
    I know I won't be eating 1400 calories the rest of my life, but it's what I'm doing now to lose weight.
    busseybul wrote:
    I've only been losing about 2-3 lbs a week
    With only 40 lb to lose, that's too much per week. Adjust so you're losing maybe 1 lb.
    steeheart wrote:
    Look at studies at how much weight people pack on after getting off the pills.
    ANY weight loss method has that problem - people don't maintain.
    I only used phentermine for the first few months, yet I've kept losing all along. (Well, minus this #$%)(!@# plateau I've been on for a few weeks... :angry: But that's mostly because I've been lax about my intake.)
    dee wrote:
    "I'd like to keep my net below 1000 on a daily basis"

This is not healthy and you will fail in the long term. And I am not being even a little snarky.
    You will eventually destroy your metabolism and do long term damage to your organs.
    Looking at the 90-day report, I've netted below 1000 about 1/3 of the time, and at or below 1200 just under half the time.
    During the same time, I've actually eaten below my goal of 1400 cal for only 17 days.
    My doctors are quite pleased with my health & progress in losing weight.
    (I've only lost 9 lb during that time, but I'm also only about 30 lb from my healthy goal weight, so that's reasonable.)

In fact, my weight loss doc (an endocrinologist specializing in weight issues) and the dietician in his practice both told me to eat at or below my calorie goal and completely _ignore_ exercise calories. They're a bonus toward weight loss. When I follow their advice, I lose weight. I haven't been doing that recently, & I'm stuck within the same 4 lb or so. Need to get back on track.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    uvi5 wrote: »
    Find a friend prescribed to Adderal

no, no, no, cute, but, no. I know your just kidding, but again, no.

Also, as someone who takes Adderall legitimately....I eat on it just like I did without. So, don't risk taking something you don't need on an occasionally reported side effect.

Add me to the legitimate Adderall people who had the same appetite, and in fact I gained most of my weight while I have been on it. Of course, I also don't get the people who take it to stay up all night studying - it is just enough to keep me functional and awake most days. Of course, I take the dosage recommended by my doctor, so maybe that is where I am going wrong.

I am glad to see the OP is rethinking her plan. That is good news to see on here - an OP who is listening and actually seems to be understanding the people trying to help.

My 9 year old is on concerta, but i only give it to him during school and deal with the consequences anytime he isn't in school because he loses weight when he's on it , (come summer, he gains 7 pounds, school starts and there goes at least 5). I keep hoping it's going to even out, but unfortunately he seems to be one of those kids who just can't eat when he takes it and is absolutely miserable with himself without it.

Maybe i should just take all his concerta and sell it on the black market as a weight-loss drug.

YES, I AM KIDDING. Just in case someone thought i was serious.

Hope you learned some worthwhile points on here, OP. The "only 2-3 lbs per week" is unhealthy unless you are literally over 300 lbs. It's unfortunate that i know someone in real life that wanted to diet with me and i had to turn her down because she insisted that the only way to do it was eat 700 calories a day and lose at least 2 lbs per week. I'd hate to see what kind of muscle mass she has at this point, after she's lost 125 lbs.
  • haysavam
    haysavam Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you want to try pills, go try it. But I will tell you this. I had two of my friends use weight loss/appetite suppressant pills and sure, they lost weight, but they gained it all back as soon as they stopped. Economically that would cause you to spend more money then a co-pay to a doctor.

Maybe pintrest or Google some natural appetite suppressing foods :)

I would suggest to keep trying out all the different types of advice you read on here until you learn what your body wants and needs.

I've come to find that this journey is very individualized. What I find works best for me may not work best for you to be successful on your journey.

Spend one week trying high protein, spend one week trying high fat, try intermittent fasting, try paleo, just try it all!!!

*kitten*... I'm still trying everything. I take a little bit from each thing as I go along (Intermittent fasting was terrible for me personally but trying really helped me focus on not grazing and kicking that habit to the curb).

But it's all about discovering you.

Also, Google search some diet pills and don't just read what comes up sponsored on the front page.

Good luck.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Edited to remove sales pitch

Subtle.
  • WishesOnTheStar
    WishesOnTheStar Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    ECA stack if you can get ephedrine at your location

Yohimbine HCL helps with appetite and is OTC in most places
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    After reading the thread, I suspect that you are too focused on calories alone. Are you getting enough protein, fat and fiber? These are the things that will keep you feeling full.

By low-calorie snacks, do you mean things like 100-calorie snack packs? Those kinds of foods are just empty calories--they won't really help to keep you full. A better choice would be something with protein/fat/fiber. Examples: an apple with a little peanut butter; yogurt and a pear, cherries, etc.; a handful of nuts and a small piece of cheese; hummus and some veggies (carrots, red pepper, pea pods...you get the idea.

Hydration is really important too--if you are active, you may need more than 8 glasses of water a day.

Are you eating a substantial breakfast? This can really help to keep away the urge to snack later in the day.

There are some healthy 100 cal snacks, for example I use one with almonds and raisins and sunflower seeds, the packaging lets me stop, it's a great option, nature source lite extra
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    To the Op, gotta be careful not to go below 1200 net by much to prevent nutritional losses and long term damage , this is assuming healthy macros are involved, less prepackaged food , more natural bulk and fibre and enough protein to cover ur excercise are imp. Good luck.
  • skylark2025
    skylark2025 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    There's no pill for that can replace personal accountability. Pills are a crutch and an unhealthy crutch at that. Step up to the plate, motivate yourself and do it the right way. Then, you can own and enjoy your success.

If we all had the ability to simply will something to happen I suspect there would be little to no need for places like this. I am on Phentermine for the next 3 months. What it does is give me some time to adjust to healthier eating and better proportion sizes without feeling like a starved animal. I have tried several OTC ones and they never worked for me.

I still have a long way to go but at least now I seem less likely to over eat because of how hungry I am.