A short rant about many of the posts I have been seeing here. May come off as harsh but must be said

Options

Replies

• justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    rmtuesley wrote: »
    It is just that we all remember being 19. Ah, youth. I wish my body reacted like it did when I was in my 20s. I wish I only had the worries that I had in college. Do me a favor, print out this post, put it away to read when you are 40. You will have fond memories of youth as well.

This...in spades. Just have to chuckle a little. I, for one, was also a know it all at his age *snork*
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I just think you get further by understanding the people you are trying to help and appreciating their point of view. They may indeed be maing excuses, theywledge. I find if im supporting someone low on confidence, then tough love is not always the way i support them , but instead give them constructive advice on how they cna make small amoints of progress, which they then build on. not everyone responds to your tough love. there is a limit to tea and sumpathy and being in denial, but the challenge is to get them to see it your way and it being in their interests. Listening normally helps.

Look back at your posts in 5/10 years time and youll realise what a difference age makes and you will cringe. It happens to us all.
  • joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I do find it very odd that so many people are focusing on my age as to why I am apparently incorrect. If I am so blatantly incorrect why are you not pointing out what I have said wrong? By focusing on my age you are really not saying anything with factual basis.

Many of you also seem to ignore that I have stated this post is not aimed towards that many of you. It is a very small minority that this is targeted to, so obviously it wont apply to most of you.

Also,you have no idea what my life experiences are? You have no idea how had I may of had to work to be in the position I am in life right now do you?

I'll give you a hint. I have had a very tough life. Tougher than I bet most of you had during your youth. That is as much detail as I want to go into, but I find it very rude to just discredit someone due to their age. It comes off as very immature.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Oh to be so young again. Re-post this in 20 years and let's see where you are.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I, on the other hand, see value in your post OP. There are alot of whiney people that need to buck up a bit. There are lots of young people like you on here, and talking to them, and not "sugar coating" it can be the way to go. So many suffer from depression, and you've overcome that to lose weight. I don't imagine it was always easy for you either. Do I think you've still got something to learn?---sure, we all do, at any age. Yes your approach was a bit blunt, but you do have a point. The posts have been full of excuses lately. To be able to pick out a person to help every now and again, is what I would suggest to everyone who has learned a bit with their weight loss. Congrats on your loss. B)
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    some good points.
  • SpnkyBns
    SpnkyBns Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Can you lose weight a whole lot easier when your young?? Oh yea...you bet it comes off soooo much easier...Congrats on your loss, but everyone doesnt lose weight like you...we are all different...yes, I am losing...but it comes off very very slowly at my age..
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Let's see...

You lost weight. Congrats!
    So what are you saying?

You read some posts on why people struggle with weight loss and since you are an expert now (and in Uni!) the single answer is grow the eff up and laws of physics. right?

People that log but have difficulty losing weight are deluded or stupid or liars. Right?

Inspiration is useless. If you lack self control you deserve to be fat. (The thinly veiled fat people are lazy idea). Right?

Plus you are an expert on depression.

Oh, boy.
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    joejward95 wrote: »
    It may be harsh but there are plenty of people here willing to tell everyone "its all okay, you're perfect" and not enough people willing to state a cold hard truth every once in a while.
    There are actually many, many people who are willing to do this.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I do find it very odd that so many people are focusing on my age as to why I am apparently incorrect. If I am so blatantly incorrect why are you not pointing out what I have said wrong? By focusing on my age you are really not saying anything with factual basis.

Many of you also seem to ignore that I have stated this post is not aimed towards that many of you. It is a very small minority that this is targeted to, so obviously it wont apply to most of you.

Also,you have no idea what my life experiences are? You have no idea how had I may of had to work to be in the position I am in life right now do you?

I'll give you a hint. I have had a very tough life. Tougher than I bet most of you had during your youth. That is as much detail as I want to go into, but I find it very rude to just discredit someone due to their age. It comes off as very immature.

ummmm .."out of the mouths of babes" means I actually agree with much of what you've said, if not the way you've said it .. it's a proverb
  • tami_
    tami_ Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    As someone who has an underactive thyroid and pcos I'm actually quite offended by your making out like it is nothing. Now I am not one of those who uses it as an excuse but you haven't had to live with it, nor, I'm guessing, do you really know anything about it. Most of the people who suffer from these do not realise for years, and when they finally get it diagnosed right and get their medication on track the weight has piled on through no real fault of their own. Losing weight and getting healthy is hard enough in itself, but the side effects from these can make you miserable too and I'm sure for some people it seems like they're stuck. Congrats to you for losing weight and running a marathon, we should clearly take your word as gospel and stop taking our thyroid medication because it's just an excuse for being overweight. Then we can all go run marathons into the sunset together.
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Joe, although I understand your point that you and you alone are responsible for your weightloss, it sometimes really isn't that simple.

You're at uni, okay. I work more than 60 hours a week, work extra as a freelancer, am responsible for an entire household, cook all my meals pure and homemade an try to hit the gym at least once a week. My days start at 6am and last till 22pm every single day with stuff that need to be done. And I don't even have a tv or whatever that could take away time.

I lost a baby a year ago and due to hormones etc, my body was completely *kitten*, which makes it really hard to lose weight, not even mentioning what it does emotionally/mentally.

I get your post, really. But sometimes it just doesn't work out like you stated it could.
    Just realise that you might tear down people who really put in an effort..
  • joejward95
    Options
    rabbitjb, dont worry I wasn't aiming my reply at you.I actually really appreciated the comment you made!
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP, I think that one of the reasons you are getting so much strife from other users is due to your bluntness in your first post.

Yes, you've lost some weight. That's great! But the problem is there's so many different reasons why people don't lose weight. Some are controllable, yes. Some are not, as others have mentioned. Consider who are asking the questions that you've quoted in your first post. I'd say that many of those who ask those questions are new to the whole weight loss thing, and because there are many weight loss misconceptions, I think it makes sense that they would have these questions.

You'll get users who will listen to your advice, and you'll get others who will have to experience lots of trial and error on their own before it finally clicks.

But you're the one who made the post, and maybe others are feeling it's not your place (or, anyone else's, really) to be giving that kind of harsh speech.

From,
    A person of your age
  • joejward95
    Options
    MalineVD. This isn't related to the post in general, but just to show I am not total prick, I am incredibly sorry for your loss. I understand there are reasons why some people cannot lose weight as easily, but this doesn't apply to most people. That is why I made the post. It wont apply to everyone, but does work for most people.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Also, it was kinda nice that you tried. And I'm sure you will get through to some people (it seems the person who pm'ed you was motivated) but your post was bound to get this reaction because some people just don't respond to that kind of speech
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    it always always boils down to CICO

some people might need medical intervention on the CO side of course due to med conditions that need medications .. and it makes it harder and slower

there are also psychological issues to overcome for others as well as other stress factors

but it does boil down to CICO for everyone
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    joolsmd wrote: »
    It may be harsh but there are plenty of people here willing to tell everyone "its all okay, you're perfect" and not enough people willing to state a cold hard truth every once in a while.
    There are actually many, many people who are willing to do this.

I think there are people, often new dieters or people who find it difficult that feel supportive, but many of the posters on these forums time and again answers peoples posts in a constructive way, but are still able to tell them how it is.

You must be blind if you havent seens those responses. You just dont appreciate the variety of people out there, they arent all like you and not everyone can deal with weight loss in the way you have.
  • joejward95
    Options
    Oh yeah, I dont care if most people here hate me though. Im glad I helped one person. I think having 10-20 people dislike me is worth improving someones life.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Having had a tough early life doesn't provide some exceptional knowledge set on how weight loss or personal motivation works for all people. In fact, having survived that, it has a tendency to decrease someone's empathy for others that struggle through different problems. It may result in a "I survived this, your struggle isn't that big" mentality.

Work on your empathy skills. Or read the Little Prince. Understanding that someone's difficulty is real because it is their own and the results are staring you in the face will go a long way to support the valid knowledge you might bring.

If anything, your youth and lack of experience, lack of empathy and possible lack of coming in contact with a larger variety of people is what is being highlighted with those comments. The general rantingness of your post, just highlights the need to grow the eff up. (That might seem harsh but take it as advice.)

People here struggle with many different parameters such as nutrition education, time, consistency, injury and physical/mental health issues. A monolithic approach like yours is mostly likely to grate than help. If you were mature enough to know that, you'd approached this differently.